TheDuffman

English Championship 7046 Match Reports/Transfer Gossip Thread

Re: English Championship 7046 Match Report/Tranfer Gossip Thread

Sunderland back on the winning ways

Mario-Gotze_zpsffab34d2.jpg

Mario celebrating his goal

Sunderland managed to get 2nd win of the season against Bristol City,a very tough opponent with a top manager.The Black Cats sneaked the win in 89th minute with a cracker.The boys dominated the entire game with a 66% possession.Cavani missed 2 or 3 sitters in first half and the manager decided to sub him off after that in the second one.Should be a good come-back after the heavy lose against City.The Sunderland's youngster showed a great spirit and wanted to win the game at any price,the goal in the last minute prove it.The lads are on a heavy pressure from the fans but seems like they do a lot better under pressure.Maybe thats the way they should play in all games.

Changing the subject..in the next game against Exeter the boss decided to let a free entry for everybody.It's going to be a nice show hopefully.We invite you all on Stadium of Light to support your local team!

Y5rixva_zpsc2e146a7.png

Juan Mata stays put

247967_437272206325490_1571953056_n_zpscd553f70.jpg

Mata shining for S'land

After a few discussions over the last few days the Sunderland manager decided to set Mata as unavailable.The spaniard had an amazing spell at Sunderland so far scoring around 11 goals in one of the most important seasons in Sunderland's history,the season when they achieved the promotion in Premier League.Raz stated by many times that he is in love with the spaniard but he solved the problems in the CM area buying another spaniard superstar just to keep Juan Mata.The Sunderland manager decided to turn down MK Dons offer,aswell as Carlisle,Fulham and Liverpool offers.Mata signed a contract for rest of his career with Sunderland which means that he will end his career here on Stadium of Light.

Juan Mata:

I am excited because I solved all these problems regardering the transfer.I am very happy to stay at Sunderland in this great squad.It's true that I signed a contract for rest of my career with Sunderland and I am over the moon to finally confirm that.I hope that I made the fans happy in my previous season and I am ready to make them happy in next seasons aswell.We're going to see each other for many years to come.I recently brought a house in Sunderland and I plan to move here with my family.Raz lad promiced me a honorable job at the club after I retire too.This might keep me in England for rest of my life.At all,I am over the moon to remain here in this amazing club.

Raz:

What can I say?I am over the moon to keep this amazing lad here in Sunderland.We're a great team and we can definetly keep Mata happy here.Juan is one of our stars and is definetly an important name for us and the fans.We can count on him when we need him.He's one of our captains,he's one of the players who dedicated the life just to football.You will never see player from Sunderland going out and drinking like a damn cow becuase we don't have that kind of footballers around.I am over the moon to keep Mata at this club forever.I am sure that he's happy too,he already stated that.As a conclusion...Mata stays in Sunderland for rest of his life.

forest-bg-4340-227863_478x359.jpg

Nottingham Forest Manager Addresses Arsenal Rumors

With Arsenal off to another unimpressive start, it is being widely reported that Arsenal's management plans to finally sack their Arab manager Said Sherif after years of unment goals. The Guardian, in fact, has stated that this sacking could take place as early as this Sunday, four days from now.

To replace him, it is being reported that Arsenal have drawn up a shortlist of candidates to offer the job to, and near the top is Forest manager BigGameMo. Asked about his interest in the position, manager BigGameMo had this to say:

I hate to speak about jobs that are currently filled by other managers, but I must admit I would be strongly tempted by an offer from Arsenal. Their financial resources far surpass ours, and I would love to work with a number of their players, notably David Villa & Cristiano Ronaldo. Believe it or not, we were actually in advanced negotiations for both players earlier this season, before the current Arsenal manager went AWOL on us once again. I think I could achieve great things with such gifted players. But I do want to make it clear: no contact has yet been made from Arsenal's side to me regarding the position, and everything in the papers thus far is speculation.

I will say though, I have poured my heart and soul into Forest, and there are connections I have made here that I will never forget. My players at the club have allowed me to become the 9th winningest manager in the league, and though we have never won silverware outside of the Division 2 Playoffs, I will never forget our against the odds 3rd & 4th place finishes in season 2 & season 5.

Do I have any regrets? Not major ones. I have regretted certain transfers; I would love to have Eto'o or Balotelli back at the club. But I think every manager has those. I am particularly proud of my team this season for the way they've responded to my call to action at the start of the season; since our 0-1-1 start, we've won two difficult matches vs Stoke City & Liverpool, and drawn vs Huddersfield away and Chelsea + Manchester City at home. That's five undefeated matches, three of them against teams with more money than us.

dimitar-berbatov-golden-boot-trophy.jpg

Berbatov...2 goals and 3 assists in four appearances this season. Back to his best? We'll see.

0UjsXo9l6I8

The "American" Derby- American manager and his Brazilians invade New York

Background- 2 of the top 3 Div 4 teams spar in this intense midweek clash. No one is surprised by Rotherham's dominant start. That's the same number of people expecting Stockport to accrue 16 out of a possible 21 points. But Stockport made it happen, and what seemed like a filler match could turn out to be a thriller. Both sides have almost similar records, steamrolling through the division before suffering humbling defeats. However, both quickly recovered to assume their lofty position.

Spotlight- In the spotlight this time is Rodrigo Lima. The Stockport captain grabbed 4 goals in 3 matches but drought quickly arrived for the reigning Stockport Player of the Season. Will the dangerman find his form in this epic clash? Will he even get to start, considering #2 Jo's irresistible recent form?

Key battle- Marquinhos vs Saviola

A typical youth vs veteran clash. Many of Rotherham's golden oldies are still doing the job, and Saviola may very well be the best of them. However in Stockport's Marquinhos Saviola might have a more than worthy nemesis. The Liverpool loanee has ticked all the right boxes since his arrival. Delivering consistent performance after consistent performance, Marquinhos has shown his flawless ability. Europe's finest young central defender might become Europe's finest you defensive midfielder at this rate.

How will this turn out?- Both teams fancy a good through ball, so expect the linesmen to be real busy. We might even need Sian Massey for this one. Be careful!

stevep.png

Barnsley smash transfer record as Ochoa signs

1zp.jpg

NEW RECRUIT - Barnsley have paid a club record £9 million pounds to prize Guillermo Ochoa away from Fulham

Division 3 promotion chasers Barnsley have today smashed their transfer record with the signing of 27 year old Mexico international goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa from division 1 outfit Fulham. The £9 million pound fee takes over the previous record of £8.3 million paid for Hatem Ben Arfa back in 2011 and brings to an end Ochoa's 2 year spell at Craven Cottage where he played well over 200 hundred games in both league and cup.

The shock transfer is a clear signal of intent from Tykes boss Steve Thompson who sees his side sit 2nd in the division 3 table and with the agony of last season's play off final defeat to Watford still fresh in the memory Thompson will be hoping the experienced head of Ochoa can be an positive influence on his progressing side.

A delighted Steve Thompson had this to say on the deal.

"I am delighted and thrilled to welcome Guillermo to Oakwell this signing is a clear sign of which direction this club is going. I have been in the market for a goalkeeper for a while which is always a difficult position to fill but we have exceeded my expectations by bringing in somebody of Ochoa's caliber this is a real coup for the club.

Guillermo has played at the highest level for a very long time under a superb manager in Dom Latouche and that experience and knowledge will be vital to us as we go in search of promotion "

New signing Guillermo Ochoa also expressed his delight at signing for the Tykes.

"I leave Fulham with a heavy heart i had a wonderful time there but i am very much looking forward to this new chapter in my career and i can't wait to get going. Barnsley are a club on the up they have enjoyed some good times since the manager came in and i really want to be part of that.

The manager has told me his ambitions going forward and they match my own. That is the reason why i signed and hopefully a promotion at the end of this season will be the start of things to come"

meet_our_sponsors2.png

And then there were 77!

Well with the first round of the English Cup and Shield out of the way here’s an update as to who is still in the running for the Maple Syrup Cup and Prickly Thistle Shield sponsorship. And the good news is, well, almost everybody!

Some 16 teams were knocked out in each competition, but just 2 teams lost in both. A neglected – and now managerless - Wolves lost 1-0 to Leeds in the cup and were thumped 5-1 by Yeovil in the Shield. Tough luck there for the new manager coming in, whoever that may be. And Claret N Blue’s Shorpe crashed out 4-2 away at Rochdale in the cup and 1-0 to a plucky Liverpool side meaning that they too are out of the running for the sponsorship award (not that they would have been up for it anyway seeing as they don’t post at all…).

That leaves the third team to be out, as you might have guessed, a hapless Dom Latouche and his faltering Fulham side. Fulham went down 6-5 on penalties to SOAP’s Man Utd meaning he fell foul of the don’t get beat by Boro or Man Utd rule. At least he can concentrate on a midtable finish again, which should be just about in his grasp.

388x167-15228-Faller-Insurance.jpg

Latouche's horse, often an early faller…

And so that leaves just 77 teams in the running as we approach round 2. The good news is that by chance United and Boro have been matched against one-another in the cup second round meaning there’s less possibility that teams could be knocked out of the running by losing to one them. Gillingham face Boro in the Shield and Plymouth face United, meaning that if they lose progress in the Shield (they play Leeds & Bolton respectively) their chances of sponsorship glory will come to an end.

Still all to play for so best of luck to all involved!

2709_Football_euros_630.jpg

This image came from quite the interesting report!

DIVISION 3 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 8-PT 1

Pacesetters Northampton Town travelled to Plymouth Argyle and came away with a 5-2 victory.Abdennour gave the visitors an early lead but Semak equalised for Plymouth.Bony put Northampton back in front and further strikes from Augusto and a penalty from Nastasic made the scoreline comfortable.Kasaev scored again for the home side but Nastasic got his second to make sure there was no comeback forthcoming from Argyle.

Second placed Barnsley made light work of fourth placed Southampton beating them 4-1 at Oakwell.Goals from Sanchez,Arshavin (2) and Arnautovic put them four up before Cetto got a consolation for the saints.

Hull City moved up to third place with a 3-1 win away at Birmingham City.Birmingham went in front when Zuber scored but the tigers clawed their way back and goals from Stankovic,Kuranyi and a penalty from Vossen won the match for the away side.

Crystal Palace climbed to fifth with a 3-2 win at home to Sheffield Wednesday.Tzavelas and Fazio put Palace two in front before Vakaso scored for Wednesday.Hernanadez netted for the eagles to restore the two goal cushion but Kadlec added another for the owls to make it an interesting last twelve minutes.

Bournemouth are up to sixth after winning an exciting match at QPR 4-3.Rangers were one behind after three minutes when Rossi struck but Ya Konan scored twice to put them in front.Boussoufa added a third for QPR and the match looked all over but Bournemouth sprung into action and Lisandro,Defour and Morrison scored to turn the game on it's head and rescue all three points for the south coast outfit.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 8-PT 2

Ipswich Town were 3-1 winners at home to Peterborough United.Ipswich were two ahead at the break with goals from Moura and Fischer.Dyer pulled one back for Peterborough but Morata made it safe for Ipswich with twenty minutes left.

Reading beat Derby County 2-1 despite going a goal behind when Sturridge scored.Gibson levelled it up for Reading before Appiah scored to win the match for the royals.

Tranmere Rovers played out a 0-0 draw at home to Chesterfield.

Dagenham and Redbridge drew 1-1 at home to Norwich City.There were no goals at the break but Whelan put the daggers in front on sixty four minutes Lens equalised for City nine minutes later.

Swindon Town won at home 3-0 against Leicester City.Sio scored two for the robins with Iturraspe also on the scoresheet.

Spireites Special: a fan’s perspective

Colossus Ryzhikov kept Chesterfield at bay to share the points

Tranmere Rovers 0 Chesterfield 0

tranmerekeeperthrawtsusagain_zps9b1de713.jpg

Tranmere Rover's keeper Sergery Ryzhikov saves another shot from Chesterfield

Coming into matchday eight, Chesterfield suffered two successive losses (one against Barnsley and the other against the giants Chelsea) and although they were decent performances, we needed to pick up our game against Tranmere Rovers. Marcos Rojo came in for Adam Lallana and Luca Antonelli was given an opportunity ahead of an injured Lorenzo De Silvestri.

The Rovers and the Spireites were familiar foes as they were Division four opponents two seasons ago. Prior to this encounter, the Rovers had adequately dealt with Chesterfield handing us two successive losses (3-0 (home) and 1-0 (away) respectively) however this was a very different outfit then the direction less side who had finished 13th and 17th respectively, this is a well drilled side that had worked their way from cellar dweller to being promoted.

This match would serve as a test to see how far we had come since our previous Division four encounters and oh my how far we have come! Despite the equal share of possession, Chesterfield made the most of ours by carving out some intriguing attacks on goal. I must make note of Ait Fana’s stand out performance in a Spireite jersey providing 5-6 goal scoring opportunities however it was the colossus Ryzhikov who denied us time and time again.

It came to the point where we concluded that it just wasn’t going to be our day and Tranmere keeper Ryzhikov deservedly got the man of the match honours.

Despite the result, I was happy with the side we created some nice moves but all it lacked was the clinical finish but with Ryzhikov being in the zone, we didn’t stand a chance. More of the same in the next game should suggest we could get our players in “positions to miss” and hopefully grab the three points.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 9-PT 1

Northampton Town still sit proudly at the top of the table with a 1-1 draw away at Sheffield Wednesday.Augusto gave the leaders a one nil half time lead but Jucilei levelled the match for the home side with thirteen minutes left of the game.

Second placed Barnsley were beaten 3-1 away at Peterborough United who move into fourth.Arnautovic put Barnsley in front but goals from Modeste,Dyer and Kakuta won the match for United.

Bournemouth climbed to third in the table after an emphatic 4-1 win at home to a struggling Birmingham City.Lisandro got a hat trick for the cherries with Morrison also scoring.Zuber scored for City.

Derby County are up to fifth after securing a 1-0 win at home to Crystal Palace.Taarabt got the only goal of the match after eighty four minutes.

Reading are now in sixth spot after travelling to Hull City and winning 2-1.Vossen had put Hull in front but Garcia equalised just before the break.Benteke got what proved to be the winner for Reading a minute after the re start.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 9-PT 2

Southampton were beaten 1-0 at home by Tranmere Rovers.Elmander got the winner for the merseyside outfit twenty minutes into the match.

Chesterfield were held to a 1-1 draw at home by QPR.Ait-Fana scored the opener for the spireites to give them the advantage at the interval.QPR fought back in the second period and Diaby levelled the match.

Dagenham and Redbridge won 2-1 at home to Plymouth Argyle.Jones and Kone had the daggers two in front before Drogba pulled one back for Plymouth.

Norwich City lost 2-0 at home to Swindon Town.Rodriguez was the hero for last seasons Division 4 champions as he netted both goals for the robins.

Leicester City lost an exciting match at home to Ipswich Town by 3-2.Erkin got both of the City goals,one of which was from the penalty spot.Ramsey,Moura and Gibbs got the vital goals for Ipswich.

afcbbanner.jpg

HARMAN DELIGHTED WITH START

2418093.jpg?type=articleLandscape

Harman desperate to experience promotion with The Cherries once more

AFC Bournemouth manager Josh Harman has expressed his delight as his side sit just 3 points off the top after an impressive start to the campaign. Harman has made it clear from day 1 that he wants to take the club all the way to Division 1 and is very confident that they will be 1 step closer come the end of the season.

After a quick interview with the man himself, heres what he had to say:

Bournemouth have banged in 23 goals so far this term, more than any other team in the league, you must be delighted?

One thing we lacked last season was firepower, as a result we made a top forward our number 1 priority over the summer and we managed to bag one in Lisandro Lopez, hes scored 11 goals in his frist 9 games, i cant ask for more than that really. I have always encouraged my midfielders to get themselves in goal scoring position as much as possible so they can take some of the burden off the forwards, and they have done that tremendously well so far.

Once again Division 3 is super competetive this season, who do you feel are your closest rivals?

Obviously Northampton spring to mind as they have such a fantastic squad and i think this could be the season we really see them develop into a top side. I also have alot of admiration for what Steve has done at Barnsley and im certain they will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season. However we cant be too concerned with how other teams are doing, as long as we perform to the standards that we have set ourselves, then we will be rewarded.

Do you have any words on how your Brother is doing since getting Walsall in Division 2?

Hes doing a top job, i cant deny that. He has made some very impressive singings recenlty and they could acually be dark horses for the playoffs this season. He wont thank me for saying this but with the funds hes been given by the chairman, im sure the fans will be uneasy with anything outside the top half. It would be nice if could cross paths once again next term.
Right now, we have all our attention on Wednesday night as we are travelling to Reading for what i expect to be a difficult game. It would be brilliant if we could make it 3 wins on the bounce.

Expressandstar.jpg

Saddlers Net Sponsorship Deal

Walsall this afternoon unveiled Budweiser as the clubs new shirt sponsor. The two parties have signed a 1 year deal believed to be worth an estimated 1m, the biggest sponsorship deal in the clubs history. A spokesman for the club said ' It's just another sign of us growing in stature as a club. Budweiser are a huge brand and the deal is the most lucrative in the club's history'.

rmln.png

The agreement, which starts in July 2013 and runs through to the end of the season, will see the king of beers name and logo appear on the Walsall shirt. Saddlers manager Tony Harman said: "This is a great partnership. We are excited to be working with such a famous global brand. This is an outstanding opportunity for Walsall Football Club and it's fans'.

521.png

Walsall head to Blackburn tomorrow night sitting 5th in the Championship following a good start to the campaign. Miroslav Klose is expected to keep his place following a brace against Swindon in the cup while Llorente could drop to the bench.

stevep.png

Thompson calls for focus following back to back defeats

x9aq.jpg

BACK TO BASICS - Steve Thompson is hoping is side can do the simple things right

Barnsley welcome struggling Leicester City to Oakwell tonight looking to back back to winning ways after back to back defeats against Peterborough and more recently in the cup against Bristol City. Thompson's men remain 2nd in the division but defeat to the Foxes tonight will see them replaced in thye division 3 automatic promotion places.

Despite their dismal showing last time out in the league against Peterborough Thompson is likely to keep faith with the starting XI with Brazilian defender Ferreira Mariano the only new face having served a three match suspension but it's still unclear whether he will start the game or take his place among the substitutes.

After taking training yesterday Barnsley manager Steve Thompson took time out to speak to the media about the game against Leicester and his sides recent defeats.

"Our recent defeats have been bitterly disappointing especially against Peterborough were we never turned up if truth to be told. Our success has been built on doing the basics right and against the Posh we couldn't even get them right which wasn't like us. It was our first away defeat of the season and hopefully we will learn from the mistakes and put on a performance against Leicester to keep us in the automatic promotion spots.

The Bristol City game was always going to be tough they are a division 1 side and we made 9 changes so it was always a tough ask. It would have been nice to have a cup run like last season but the league is our main priority and we can now focus fully on that.

Leicester are going to be tough opposition despite their league position. They have a decent squad of players and a good manager in Gozzy so it's only a matter of time before they start climbing the table. We have a full squad to choose from for the game which is a massive bonus and the lads are ready to give the fans a decent show"

stevep.png

Ciani makes Barnsley switch

txva.jpg

BARNSLEY BOUND - Mickaël Ciani has penned 4 season contract at Oakwell after his move from Lazio

Promotion chasing Barnsley have today dipped in the transfer market to bring French defender Mickaël Ciani to Oakwell. The 29 year old joins the Tykes from Italian side Lazio for the next 4 seasons and will hope to aid Thompson's men as they seek promotion to division 2.

Ciani brings a wealth of experience to Oakwell having played for Leeds United, MK Dons,Stockport County and Birmingham during his 7046 career totaling well over 100 appearances.

The Frenchman looks to be the final piece of manager Steve Thompson's jigsaw following hot on the heals of club record signing Guillermo Ochoa and with Barnsley sitting pretty at the top of the division 3 table fans will be hoping Ciani can play his part in keeping them there.

Manager Steve Thompson had this to say on his latest recruit.

"It's another fantastic capture for the club and one i am made up to complete. I have been in the market for a center back for some time and getting somebody of Mickaël's calibre is a real steal for the football club.

He is still a very good age at 29 and has previous experience of playing in 7046 which is a great advantage for him during his settling in period.

We are currently sitting at the top of the division and hopefully Mickaël will play his part in keeping us there"

Ciani himself also spoke about the move.

"It's nice to be back in England i have enjoyed some very good times with my previous clubs and i hope i will have some more good times to come. The manager is building something really special here and i can't wait to be part of it.

The move came out of the blue for me but once i was aware of the interest i couldn't get on the plane quick enough. There is a feel good factor around the place and all players thrive on that kind of environment"

DIVISION 3 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 10-PT 1

Barnsley took over at the top of the table with a 2-1 win at home to Leicester City.Bystrov put the tykes in front but Adrian scored to make it all square.Arshavin hit the winner for Barnsley after seventy six minutes.

Northampton Town slipped to second place after a 1-1 draw at home to Derby County who went down to sixth after this result.Paulinho had given Northampton a half time lead but Poli equalised for County just after the hour mark.

Bournemouth held on to third with an excellent 3-1 win away at Reading.The away side went in front through Susaeta but Reading were back on level terms when Simpson scored.Bournemouth won the match with two second half goals from Lisandro.

Tranmere Rovers won 2-0 at home to Peterborough United and moved up to fourth place.Hasebs scored the first with Elmander getting the second to put the match out of the reach of United.

Southampton had a 1-0 victory at QPR to go into fifth place.The game was goalless at half time but Xhaka scored a minute after the interval to give Southampton the three points.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 10-PT 2

Crystal Palace made a 1-1 draw at home to Hull City.Palace took the lead when Mauri scored but Vossen netted to give both sides a share of the spoils.

Swindon Town drew 3-3 at home to Dagenham and Redbridge.Bardsley put Dagenham in front but Bakenga got his first of the match to equalise.Jones and Kone put the daggers 3-1 ahead but Bakenga completed his hat trick by scoring two more for Swindon in the last twenty minutes.

Birmingham City won 2-1 at home to Chesterfield.The spireites had a great start when Paloschi scored but Nilmar levelled a minute before half time.Barbosa got the winner after fifty minutes.

Ipswich Town won at home and hammered rivals Norwich City 6-2.The canaries had their fans singing when they took the lead through Pied.Lucas made it all square but Trochowski had the away side in front again.Ipswich came to life in the last half hour and ploughed through Norwich with goals from Mirallas(2)Ramsey(2) and Howedes.

Plymouth Argyle were held to a 2-2 draw at home to Sheffield Wednesday.Pizarro and Semak scored for Plymouth with Carcela Gonzalez and Kadlec netting for Wednesday.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 11-PT 1

Leaders Barnsley looked to be heading to a goalless draw at Norwich but the home side scored in the 86th minute through Sapunaru and looked to have sneaked the points.The tykes had different ideas and equalised a minute later when Arshavin netted.

Northampton Town stay second despite a 2-0 defeat at Hull City who are up to sixth.Vukojevic and Stankovic got the goals which both came in the first half.

Derby County move into third in the table with a comfortable 3-0 win at home to Sheffield Wednesday.Varela started the scoring to give County a half time lead.Poli and Wilshere added the other goals in the second half.

Bournemouth drop to fourth after losing 1-0 at home to Crystal Palace.Aimar got the winner after seventy three minutes.

Fifth placed Tranmere Rovers drew 0-0 away at Leicester City.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 11-PT 2

Southampton lost an eight goal thriller 5-3 at home to Birmingham City.Yilmaz put the saints in front before Postiga levelled it.The game then became the Nilmar show as the City star netted four goals.Southampton's other goals were scored by Gourcuff and Babacar.

Peterborough United lost 2-0 at home to QPR.Diaby gave Rangers the perfect start by scoring after three minutes.Ya Konan got the second just after the quarter hour mark.

Chesterfield won 1-0 at home to Reading.It was a welcome win for the Spireites.

Dagenham and Redbridge lost 3-2 at home to Ipswich Town.Ramsey gave Ipswich the lead but strikes from Kone and Alcaraz put the Daggers in front.Matuidi brought the scores level before striking to score the winning goal in the second period.

Swindon Town drew 2-2 at home to Plymouth Argyle.The Pilgrims were two in front in the first half after Kasaev and Pizarro scored.Swindon fought back after the break and made it all square when Verratti and Sio got on the scoresheet.

picture.php?albumid=483&pictureid=3405

Captain Crunch

It's The Lima Show in Wales as captain ends goal drought in style

For 8 agonizing fixtures, Stockport captain Lima kicked the kitchen sink at goal, but each attempt ended with increasing frustration as the Brazilian played 675 minutes without getting on the scoresheet. It would turn out that "The Coffee King" just needed a break, all 45 minutes of it.

For the first time in over 30 fixtures, the Hatters' main man was left on the bench for the game at Cardiff City. The hosts had chips on their shoulders after losing 0-4 in the corresponding fixture last season. Despite the manager's strange inactivity, the Welsh team could punish any complacent team with their quality. And it seemed like they could cause another upset, with Stockport forced into a lukewarm sequence of long ball/tame chance. Standing in for Lima was Jo Alves, and while the former Man City striker was hardworking, he wasn't the creative spark Stockport needed.

Unheralded left midfielder Danilo Avelar was the man to step up. Only playing in the absence of starters Thiago Neves (injured) and Elano (tired), Avelar curled home a wicked low shot from a tight angle. That stunning goal 2 minutes before half time brought more than a few rain clouds to the Millennium Stadium. When it rains it pours, but that saying might have been too tame on this occasion. The visitors pelted the Bluebirds like hail.

5902259898244234.JPEG

While Sambaport focused their assault on the erroneously-positioned Sergio Escudero before the break, they moved out wide following the introduction of Lima. This proved lethal, a famished Lima feasting on a Leandro Salino cross within minutes of his entrance. From one captain to another (Salino captaining the side on that 4-0 trouncing), Lima powered his header past Mariano Andujar to double Stockport's lead. Avelar then played the role of Robin to perfection, grabbing two assists in addition to his goal. Once again, crosses (of the left-wing variety) were on the menu, Lima earning the match ball with another header and a stylish volley.

130404215237-football-lima-horizontal-gallery.jpg

With the hosts suffering successive humiliations in Wales, Lima still had time to make a statement. CAM Carlos Eduardo once again exploited the flanks and Lima met the ground cross with a cheeky flick. A jaded Andujar was no match for it. 5-0 was the empathetic scoreline before Lima called it a day. The captain cantered to the Man of the Match honors, as Stockport are now .500 on the road. With 14 of their 23 points accrued at Edgeley Park, the rain clouds have moved to London... (Millwall and of course Leyton Orient :P)

DIVISION 3 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 12-PT 1

Barnsley are three points clear at the top of the table after a comfortable 3-0 win at home to Dagenham and Redbridge.Arshavin got things moving with a penalty before Arnautovic made it two.Arshavin put the match to bed with his second goal after the interval.

Tranmere Rovers went into second place with a 3-0 home win against Norwich City.Cacau gave Rovers a first half lead and added a second from the spot in the second half.Hosogai ended the contest when he scored with ten minutes of the match remaining.

Northampton Town drew 2-2 at home to Bournemouth and slip to third.All the goals came in the first half and Susaeta put the cherries in front on eleven minutes.Northampton took the game to Bournemouth and went in front when Paulinho and Fernando scored but Lisandro levelled it a few minutes later for Bournemouth who drop to sixth place.

Plymouth Argyle were at home to Derby County but neither side was able to break the deadlock as the game ended 0-0.Derby are down to fourth in the table after this draw.

Crystal Palace had a good day as they climbed to fifth with a 1-0 win at home to Chesterfield.Eduardo got the winning goal as early as the eleventh minute.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 12-PT 2

Sheffield Wednesday were held to a 1-1 draw at home by Hull City.Stankovic looked like he had nicked the match for City when he scored with twelve minutes of the match to go but Centurion sent the owls fans wild when he scored six minutes later to make it all square.

QPR were 1-0 winners at home to Leicester City.Ya Konan got the winner for Rangers in the first half.

Reading won a cracking match 5-3 at home to Southampton.Garcia,Benteke and Gibson got three first half goals for Reading with Howieson netting for the saints.Ziegl added another for the royals before Babacar and Musa scored two more for Southampton.Zakaric made the game safe for the home side when he scored after seventy seven minutes.

Birmingham City beat Peterborough United 2-0.City got a goal either side of half time from Sivok and Montillo.

Ipswich Town won 2-1 at home to Swindon Town.The robins had a great start when Barazite scored after two minutes.Ipswich began the comeback in the second half when first Strootman and then Ramsey netted to claim all three points for the home side.

Arda Returns

135489.jpg

After 6 seasons away from Turf Moor, Burnley manager Hazr Poland has struck a deal with Nottingham Forest manager BigGameMo to bring the Turkish international back to the Clarets to strengthen their title challenge

The offer for Arda TURAN of Nottingham Forest from Burnley has been accepted. The transfer will be completed within the next 24 hours./QUOTE]
Arda is a player of tremendous talent. He has world class vision, and will fit right into the terrific set up we have here at Burnley.

It is said that Dmitri Payet and Timm Klose will move the other way in the deal.