TheDuffman

English Championship 7046 Match Reports/Transfer Gossip Thread

Re: English Championship 7046 Match Report/Tranfer Gossip Thread

DIVISION 3 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 32-PT 1

Division three leaders Derby County suffered a shock 3-1 defeat at home to relegation threatened Hull City who moved up to third bottom with the win.Kleber shocked County when he scored after two minutes but normal service seemed to be resumed when Aurier equalised for the home side.City pulled off the unlikely victory with second half goals from Sissoko and Maiga.

Crystal Palace stayed second despite being held to a 2-2 draw at home to Southampton.Beria put Palace ahead but Gourcuff levelled for the saints.The home side restored the lead before the break when Flano netted but Southampton fought back and scored through Abdellaoue in the second period.

Third placed Northampton Town won 2-1 at home against fifth placed Chesterfield despite being a goal behind at the interval.Ekici had scored for the spireites before second half strikes from Lukaku and Paulinho won the match for the cobblers.

Fourth placed Barnsley were on the end of a disappointing 3-1 defeat at home to Swindon Town.The tykes looked to be heading to another win when Ryazantsev scored to give them a one goal half time lead.It all went wrong for Barnsley in the second half when Swindon rallied to score three goals through Markovic,Rudnevs and Insigne.

Tranmere Rovers stayed in sixth place with a 1-0 home win versus Dagenham and Redbridge.Machado got the winner for Rovers after seventy minutes.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 32-PT2

Sheffield Wednesday moved off the bottom of the table with a 2-0 win at home to Bournemouth.Goals in either half from Bassong and Moreno split the sides in the end.

QPR drew 3-3 at home to Norwich City who ended up at the foot of the table with this result.Ya Konan got two for Rangers with Emanuelson getting the other.Norwich also had a two goal hero in Lens with Trochowski getting a late equaliser for City.

Reading were well and truly beaten 4-0 at home by Peterborough United.Ricardo,Bakambu and Rausch had given United a three goal half time lead before Modeste rubbed salt in the wounds with a fourth goal after sixty seven minutes.

Plymouth Argyle eased past Ipswich Town with a 3-0 home win.Ginter,Silvio and Mamaev were the goalscorers on the day for Argyle.

Birmingham City came from two behind to win 3-2 at home to Leicester City.Adrian and Aquino had given Leicester the lead before Birmingham turned the game on it's head with strikes from Eremenko,Ebert and Cerci.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 33-PT 1

Derby County lost 1-0 away at Bournemouth but stay top of the league but only on goal difference.Rossi got the winner for the south coast side after thirty six minutes.

Crystal Palace stay second after a 3-0 win away at Peterborough United but are now level on points at the top.Mauri and Jannsen got two in the first half for Palace before Oscar added the third a minute after the break.

Northampton Town kept the pressure on the top two as they won 3-1 away at Southampton and remain in third place.Paulinho,Kolarov and Lukaku put the cobblers three in front before Babacar scored a late consolation for Southampton.

Barnsley hold on to fourth with a 4-2 win away at Ipswich Town.Ryazantsev,Kvist(2) and Pekhart were the scorers for the tykes with Carroll netting both of the Ipswich goals.

A 1-0 win for Chesterfield at home to Sheffield Wednesday kept them in fifth place in the table.Koo got the winning goal after sixty four minutes of the contest.Wednesday stay second from bottom.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 33-PT 2

Tranmere Rovers won 3-1 away at Swindon Town to stay in sixth place.Cacau gave Rovers an early lead but Swindon were level just before half time when Kaya scored.Second half goals from Cabella and Shawcross won the match for Tranmere.

Dagenham and Redbridge were beaten 3-0 at home by QPR.Ya Konan kept up his goal scoring form with a hat trick for Rangers.

Leicester City lost 2-1 at home to Reading.Duarte and Berisha put the royals two in front before Joaquin pulled one back for Leicester.

Hull City stay third from bottom after being held to a 1-1 draw at home by Plymouth Argyle.Hull took the lead when Kleber scored but Drogba got a second half equaliser for Argyle.

Norwich City are still at the bottom of the table after coming back from 4-1 down to draw 4-4 at home to Birmingham city.Pied and Helmes both got two for Norwich with Birmingham's goals scored by Ebert,Parker,Caicedo and Gomez.

LIVERPOOL

This+Is+Anfield.jpg

With just five games to go Liverpool's season depends on what they can do in their last five games, they are ten points of the league leaders Everton which looks too much but even though they sit in seventh place they are just three points off top four, this season has been blighted by injuries and inconsistency with results, recent 2-1 wins over Man United and Sunderland have left us still in with a chance of a top four finish which is probably the best Liverpool can muster if they play well to the end of the season.

We are still in the SMFA Cup after a first leg Quarter Final 2-0 win over Roma, hopefully we can get ourselves through to the semi-finals and take it from there, we have yet to get to the final of this competition so it would be good if we can progress that far at least but there are still some decent sides left in the competition including Man United, Man City, Spurs and Middlesboro so it will be tough.

We can put together two decent sides at the minute and will be looking to some of our youngsters who have not been mentioned in the teams to make a breakthrough next season and hopefully squeeze their way in.

Liverpool "1"

832841_Liverpool.jpg

Liverpool "2"

832846_Liverpool.jpg

This hasn't been the greatest of seasons for Liverpool but there is still a chance it could end on a high note with a possible Champions League win and top four finish, we will strive to try and achieve the best we can and build on that for next season.

Trio of defensive reinforcements poise Chesterfield for playoff run

VIDA_zps7fb8da39.jpg

Viva La Vida: versatile Croatian International Domagoj Vida provides a much needed boost to Chesterfield with their recent injury list

Chesterfield made a triple swoop for Fabian Johnson, Hiroki Sakai and Domagoj Vida bolstering the Spireites defensive ranks while reinforcing their hopes of a play-off position. Manager Glory Days has done a splendid job to fill the void left by Lorenzo De Silvestri and Matthias Ostrozolek, the management sought to not only improve on the first XI but enhance the team’s depth as well.

Fullback Fabian Johnson, 26 arrived from Notts County for 6.5 million. The American international was frozen out after a change of management at his previous club

“It felt awful to be where I wasn’t wanted and what made it worse was that I couldn’t find a way out since I signed a new contract. To just be put on the bench and rot is something I don’t enjoy. They transfer listed me at the start of the season but no teams were interested and this left me in limbo, it was a very uncomfortable situation I faced”

However Johnson spoke of his delight in signing with a new club

“I felt like a kid at Christmas, eagerly waiting for when and if the deal was still happening. When I met with manager Glory Days, he sold the club to me, his ideas and his philosophy, he made me feel wanted and that I would have my part to play this season.

The boss had such conviction and has made Chesterfield into solid team. To be honest, I didn’t really know much about Chesterfield but their recent rise in Division Three has made everyone notice them”

Another addition was young Japanese fullback Hiroki Sakai, 23 who moved from Division Three rivals Barnsley for $5.5 million. Like many of Glory Days signings, Sakai is very versatile with his primary position being right fullback but he is fully capable of playing as a left back, right wing back or on the right wing.

Sakai 23, spoke of his enthusiasm in joining Chesterfield

“I was impressed with Chesterfield’s inspiring first season in Division three, they have only been promoted but they are challenging for promotion already. I’m excited about joining an up and coming club like Chesterfield; I want to make my mark on this team. I like how the manager gives young players an opportunity to shine in his side; I will do my best to show the boss that I am worth a shot in the first team”

The final addition made was Croatian international Domagoj Vida, 24 who joins from Division Three rivals Birmingham City for $6 million. Known for his ability to adapt to multiple positions, Chesterfield’s need for another central defender with Vladmidir Granant injured for the remainder of the season and San Jose not being match fit, Vida looks like an ideal signing.

Mainly used as a substitute at Birmingham City, Vida sought another team to try to break into the first XI

“I wanted an opportunity to show what I could do and Chesterfield gave me such a chance. Chesterfield are a good side that has done very well in their first season, I hope I can contribute to help them in their promotion bid”

With subsequent additions, Chesterfield looks to be making a strong push for promotion this season.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 34-PT 1

Leaders Derby County ran out 3-0 victors at home to play off chasing Chesterfield who are down to sixth after last night's result.Poli,Wilshere and Sturridge were on target for the rams.

Crystal Palace lost a little ground but stay second as they drew 2-2 at home to Leicester City.Mier put Leicester in front but goals from Doumbia and Eduardo turned the game in favour of Palace.Inan levelled the match with a goal on fifty minutes.

Third placed Northampton Town were held to a 1-1 draw at home by Peterborough United.Belhanda had given the cobblers the lead but Bakambu equalised for United in the second half.

Plymouth Argyle held fourth placed Barnsley to a 0-0 draw.

Tranmere Rovers moved up to fifth in the table with a 3-0 win at home to Ipswich Town.There were no goals at the interval but Rovers stormed out in the second half and scored through Machado,Salihovic and a penalty from Cacau

DIVISION 3 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 34-PT 2

Hull City won 3-1 at home to Bournemouth but are still third from bottom.Hernandez got a brace for city with Diamanti also on the scoresheet.Ideye got the goal for Bournemouth.

QPR were beaten 3-2 at home by Swindon Town.This match had an amazing start as Mcgeady gave Rangers the lead in the first minute but straight from the restart Markovic levelled for Swindon.Rangers were back in front two minutes later when Mcgeady got his second of the match.The game settled down and a minute before half time the robins equalised when Wass scored.Markovic won the match for Swindon when he got his second after fifty seven minutes.

Reading drew 3-3 at home to Norwich City who moved up a place to take them off the bottom of the table.The royals had taken a two goal lead with strikes from Benteke and Garcia but Viana pulled one back for City before half time.Trochowski then scored twice for Norwich to give them the lead but a goal from Berisha made it all square after sixty eight minutes.

Sheffield Wednesday lost 3-1 at home to Southampton and are down to bottom place in Division Three.Gutierrez scored for Wednesday but two goals from Yilmaz and one from Gourcuff for the saints proved to be the difference on the day.

Birmingham City were 2-0 winners at home to Dagenham and Redbridge.Goals from Cerci and Gutierrez in the second half won the points for City.

LIVERPOOL TURN TO JESUS

This+Is+Anfield.jpg

2958.jpg

Liverpool have agreed a deal in priciple to sign winger Jesus Navas from Wigan in a part-exchange deal for Correa Marquinos, Nigel De Jong and £1.4 million cash, there are still a few personal terms to be sorted out but Jesus Navas should be a Liverpool player within the week.

OUT:

56786.jpg

3080.jpg

I am delighted to finally get a deal sorted for Jesus, I am a long time admirer of the speedy winger, we are paying a high price with young starlet Marquinos and solid defensive midfielder De Jong going in the opposite direction in the deal, but we are lacking in the winger slot with only Ribery and Konoplyanka as the current wingers at the club, I have faith that the signing of Jesus will be a fruitful one.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 35-PT 1

Derby County pushed on at the top of the table as they coasted to a 3-0 win away at Southampton.Wilshere and Sturridge had given County a two goal lead at the interval with Varela adding a third in the second half.

Crystal Palace won 3-0 away at Norwich City to remain second.Janssen,Doumbia and Eduardo scored the goals for Palace.Norwich City stay second to bottom of the league.

Third placed Northampton Town lost a little ground on the top two as they suffered a heavy 4-1 defeat at Leicester City.Joaquin,Gilardino(2) and Adrian had put City four in front before Belhanda got a late consolation for Northampton.

Fourth placed Barnsley were held to a 0-0 draw at home by fifth placed Tranmere Rovers which shows there isn't much between these sides as they fight for the play off positions.

Chesterfield stay sixth despite being held to a 1-1 draw at home by Hull City who remain third bottom.Koo gave Chesterfield a first half lead but Elia made the game all square on fifty four minutes.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 35-PT 2

Ipswich Town were beaten 1-0 at home by QPR.Emanuelson got the winner for Rangers on eighty minutes.

Bournemouth lost 2-1 at home to south coast rivals Plymouth Argyle.Drogba had given the visitors the lead but Ideye equalised for the cherries.Krejci got the winner for Plymouth when he netted with sixteen minutes to go.

Dagenham and Redbridge lost 3-2 at home to Reading.All the goals were scored in the first half with Reading going three in front with goals from Duarte(2) and Garcia but Dagenham hit back with strikes from Johnson and Kone.Both sides tightened up after the break to leave the scoreline the same come the end of the match.

Peterborough United won 3-2 at home to bottom club Sheffield Wednesday.Modeste gave the home side the lead but Wednesday fought back and went in front themselves when Nolito and Sola scored.Bakambu got United level before half time with Ricardo getting the winner for the home side three minutes after the break.

Swindon Town suffered a 3-0 defeat at home to an in form Birmingham City side.Cerci,Gomez and Ebert were the scorers for Birmingham.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 36-PT 1

Derby County moved three points clear at the summit despite being held to a 1-1 draw at home by Peterborough United.Bakambu gave United an early lead when he scored after five minutes but a second half goal from Grenier levelled the match for the league leaders.

Second placed Crystal Palace suffered a surprise 2-1 defeat at home to Dagenham and Redbridge.Palace were ahead when Doumbia scored but a second half revival from the daggers saw Jones and Duff score to record a welcome win.

Northampton Town stay third with a 1-1 draw at home to Norwich City who were unfortunately relegated with this result.Things started well for City when Lens scored but a second half equaliser from Paulinho sealed City's fate.

QPR were beaten 1-0 at home by Barnsley who stay fourth and sealed a play off place.Ciani got the winner after eighty minutes.

Chesterfield made sure of their play off place with a 3-0 win away at Bournemouth.Sulejmani got two for the spireites with Paloschi also getting his name on the scoresheet.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 36-PT 2

Plymouth Argyle drew 2-2 at home to sixth placed Tranmere Rovers who made sure of their involvement in the play off lottery with the draw.Schaars and Mamaev scored for Plymouth with Cacau getting both of the Rovers goals.

Reading were beaten 2-1 at home by near neighbours Swindon Town.Sio scored twice to give the robins a two goal lead but Gibson pulled one back for Reading.

Relegation threatened Hull City lost 2-1 at home to Southampton and stay third from bottom in the table.City took the lead just before half time when Kleber scored but second half goals from Abdellaoue and Pedro won the match for the saints.

Basement club Sheffield Wednesday were relegated after a 2-0 defeat at home to Leicester City.Joaquin and Mier got the goals for Leicester.

Birmingham City's recent good run came to an end with a 4-0 thumping at home by Ipswich Town.Lucas,Teixeira(2)and Morata were on target for a jubilant Ipswich side.

daily-mirror-logo.png

The chicken predicts...

Kev_the_Chicken.jpg

Division 2's promotion winners

After his (un)successful 2012 European Championship predictions, Kev the psychic chicken from Kiev has been at it again. He became famous for such stunning incites as, "I predict that if the score is a draw after 90mins the game will go to extra time!" and "Stop asking me why I crossed the road!! What's wrong with you lot!".

Well now it's 2013 and he is still alive and clucking, and has turned his attention to EC7046's Division 2 promotion race.

The contenders

Arsenal

The Gunners’ immediate return to Division 1 is already confirmed. They were just too good for the rest. They need just one point from their last two games to be crowned champions.

Kev Predicts –Promotion as champions

Blackburn Rovers

21 wins in the 36 games played so far tells its own story. Blackburn seemed to be an un-promotable club when Gonzodan took charge at the beginning over season 7. They are now 1 win away from automatic promotion in season 8.

Kev Predicts – Promotion in 2nd place

Aston Villa

Whatever happens here on in, manager Hancock must be in contention for manager of the season. After seeming to draw every game they played earlier in the season a spectacular 8 game win streak catapulted them to automatic promotion hopefuls.

Kev Predicts – Playoff final losers

Bolton Wanderers

With player such as Mata, Oscar and Eriksen, Bolton have a bright future, and need just a point in their remaining matches to guarantee a playoff spot. Losing finalists last season, they will be aiming to go one better this time round.

Kev Predicts – Promotion as Playoff final winners

Walsall

Division 3 champions Walsall have had another great season. They still need a win to ensure they will be entered into the lottery of the playoffs, but with only 2 defeats in the last ten matches, they will be confident of doing so.

Kev Predicts – Playoff semi-final losers

Burnley

The final playoff place is likely to be filled by either Burnley of MK Dons. Burnley have a solid squad and after a great start have put in a solid season. Thier long serving manager will hope to use his experience to get the best out of his players to reach the playoff extravaganza.

Kev Predicts - Playoff semi-final losers

Milton Keynes Dons

Despite being one of the pre-season favourites and holding a top 2 place at times this season, MK Dons have gone off the boil. They will now struggle to bounce back to Division 1 at the first time of asking.

Kev Predicts - To finish outside of the playoff places

Wigan Athletic

After a terrible season last time around Wigan still have an outside chance of the playoffs. They will have to win both of their remaining games and keep their fingers crossed.

Kev Predicts - To finish outside of the playoff places

Blackburn-Rovers-chicken-008.jpg

Kev refused to admit any bias towards his favourite team

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

TIOTE & FEGHOULI JOIN UP AT ANFIELD

This+Is+Anfield.jpg

IN:

29200.jpg

Sofaine Feghouli

9273.jpg

Cheick Tiote

Liverpool have negotiated a deal with MK Dons for defensive midfielder Cheick Tiote and attacking midfielder/winger Sofaine Feghouli, left-back Holger Badstuber is off in the other direction.

OUT:

40557.jpg

Holger Badstuber

We already have a few left-backs at the club so when MK Dons made an inquiry about Badstuber negotiations began, the negotiations were quick ad both parties are pleased with the deal.Tiote and Feghouli will be squad players who hopefully at some point will get there chance in the first team.

Transfer news at the Dons

I am looking for:

LB - Either an 89 + starter or an 87 - 88 rated back-up.

CM/AM - Backup rated 88 or 89. Ideally a talented youngster.

Forward - Backup rated 88 - 90.

LW OR RW - Backup rated 87 - 89. Again would like a talented younger player.

Players that can be used to obtain these are:-

One of Ferdinand (93) or Toulalan (91) -

Despite liking both players I cannot afford to have three players rated 91+ in central defence. So one of these two must go. I know both are getting on so am not asking for too much.

Moutinho (92) - I have Nocerino, Hamsik and Benat vying for my central midfield spots. I want to keep Hamsik so Moutinho has to go. He is a cracking player so would need to be a decent offer.

Maggio (90) - I like him in real life and on the game. But Jung is ample for the team I have and I cannot deny him a starting birth at RB any longer.

Ki (88) - Moved to Sunderland IRL in what was a strange transfer decision by Swansea but he is undoubtedly good enough for the premiership.

Viera (86) - Highly rated player but does not fit in with my Brazillian Ribiero doing his job.

Henry (87) - Valiant effort this season from the old man but think I need an 88 or 89 in his position.

Frimpong (83) - A player I like but would be willing to add to sweeten any deal.

The higher rated players are really subject to whatever offer you stick in for them. I will reply to any and all offers. A little bit of cash is always welcome :)

I am open to offering two of them for a very talented younger player and am open to negotiation.

Also, I will sell Ibrahimovic if I can get a good striker and one other decent player as part of the deal.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 37-PT 1

Pacesetters Derby County gained promotion with a 2-1 win at East Midlands rivals Leicester City.The rams fell behind when Adrian scored for City but Sturridge and Varela netted for County to nail a deserved promotion for Derby and their manager Real Khai.

Crystal Palace remain second in the table after a 3-0 win away at Swindon Town.Lacazette got two for Palace with Janssen also on the scoresheet.Palace and manager Dazinho know that a point from the last match will seal promotion.

Third placed Northampton Town are clinging on to an outside chance of automatic promotion. They won 4-1 away at Dagenham and Redbridge.Ronaldinho put Town in front but Dagenham were level when Bardsley scored.The cobblers ran away with the game in the second half with further goals from Ronaldinho( his second),Verratti and Paulinho.

Barnsley stay fourth despite going down 2-0 at home to in form Birmingham City who could be serious contenders next season.A goal in either half from Gutierrez and Pardo were enough to secure the win for City.

Tranmere Rovers moved up to fifth place with a 1-1 draw at home to QPR.Both goals came in the first half with QPR taking the lead when Boussoufa scored.Salihovic equalised for Rovers five minutes before the break.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 37-PT 2

Chesterfield slipped down to sixth with a 2-1 defeat at home to Plymouth Argyle.Chesterfield went in front just after the interval with a goal from Smolov but Pizarro and Roberto netted for Argyle to win the points.

Southampton beat south coast neighbours Bournemouth 3-0.The game was over in the first half as the saints stormed into a three goal lead with goals from Senderos and an Abdellaoue brace.

A 1-1 draw at Peterborough United wasn't enough to save Hull City as they took the final relegation place.Cani had City in front but an eighty ninth minute equaliser from Dos Santos for United resigned Hull and their fans to their fate.

Ipswich Town hammered Reading 5-2.Reading twice took the lead with goals from Duarte and Toornsira but Ramsey and Carroll twice restored parity.Second half strikes from Mirallas,Lucas and Gibbs put Ipswich out of sight in the match.

The two other relegated clubs met as Norwich City took on Sheffield Wednesday at Carrow Road.Wednesday ran out 3-0 winners with goals from Bassong,Sola and Kaslec.The clubs also swapped places as Norwich now reside at the foot of the table with Wednesday in nineteenth.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 38-PT 1

Derby County took the Division three title despite losing 2-0 at home to relegated Norwich City who saved themselves the stigma of bottom place.Lens and Trochowski scored for the canaries whose manager Miykei Santos will be looking for a quick return next year.The gloss was taken off the day slightly for Real Khai and his team but it was well deserved in the end.

Crystal Palace gained promotion with a 1-0 win at home to Ipswich Town.Biagianti got the winner for Dazinho's side who only missed out on the title on goal difference.

Northampton Town finished third with a 3-0 win at home to Swindon Town.Ronaldinho,Lukaku and Paulinho were the goalscorers for the cobblers.

Reading were beaten 3-1 at home by Barnsley who end the season in fourth place.Pekhart ,Gardner and Arshavin found the net for the tykes with Kramer on target for Reading.

Chesterfield finished fifth after a seven goal thriller at home to Southampton which they won 4-3.Wood and Abdellaoue gave the saints a two goal lead but Chesterfield fought back to level with goals from Cork and Johnson.Lallana and another from Cork saw the spireites go ahead before Southampton got another back through Xhaka.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 38-PT 2.

Birmingham City ended their campaign with a 1-0 win at home to Tranmere Rovers who end up sixth.A penalty from Cerci won the match for Birmingham.

Plymouth Argyle were 2-1 victors at home to QPR.Rangers got the perfect start whan Janko netted a third minute penalty but a second half rally saw Krejci and Pizarro score for Argyle to claim the three points.

Bournemouth drew 1-1 at home to Peterborough United.Soriano put United in front before Dzsudzsak made it all square.

Relegated Hull City drew 3-3 at home to Leicester City.Cani,Elia and Vossen scored for the tigers with Adrian(2) and Fernandez scoring for Leicester.Hull manager Patrik Olsson will be looking for his team to jump straight back up next season.

Sheffield Wednesday ended the season bottom of the table after a 3-3 draw at home to Dagenham and Redbridge.J Hutchinson 11 has a lot to do next term.Carcela-Gonzalez,Kadlec and Wakaso scored for the owls with a brace from El Ahmadi and a strike from Kone getting the goals for the daggers.

stevep.png

Barnsley ready for play off battle

4bho.jpg

FOCUSED - Barnsley manager Steve Thompson ready to battle Chesterfield in the play offs.

Barnsley ended their regular season last night with a morale boosting 3-1 away win over Reading. The Tykes already knew their fate heading into the game with yet another play off campaign ahead and with such a quick turnaround manager Steve Thompson decided to change his entire starting XI from the one that was beaten by Birmingham City at the weekend.

Barnsley started the game the brighter of the two teams and it was no surprise when they took the lead with 23 minutes gone courtesy of a fine looping header from Czech striker Tomáš PEKHART 0-1. That goal woke the home side and they were back on level terms within a minute thanks to a neat finish from midfielder Christoph KRAMER 1-1.

Both sides enjoyed periods of possession but it was Barnsley who struck again with 66 minutes Craig GARDNER bagging his first goal for the Tykes with a fine close range header 1-2. That goal knocked the stuffing out of the host and Barnsley took full advantage by wrapping up the points on 70 minutes thanks to a 12th goal of the season from Russian international Andrey ARSHAVIN. FULL TIME 1-3.

After the game all the talk was about Thompson's opponent in the play off's who were confirmed as Chesterfield with the game taking place this Friday 11/10/13. Thompson said.

"We are delighted to finish in the season on a high and go into the play offs with a win behind us. I made a lot of changes tonight in order to protect the lads for the play offs but the boys who took the field tonight have done superbly well and they can be proud of their performance.

We now know we will face Chesterfield in the play offs which will be a a really tough fixture. It's at a win a piece in regular season so this will be the decider and hopefully we can come out on top. We know on our day we can beat anybody it's about staying focused and doing our jobs correctly.

We lost in the play off final last season it was a tough time for us and we need to use that motivation to drive us on and make sure we never feel that disappointment again"

stevep.png

New boy set for final debut

wprs.jpg

SET FOR DEBUT - Manuel Pasqual could be set to start in the play off final for Barnsley

Barnsley manager Steve Thompson could not hide his delight last night as his side beat Chesterfield 3-1 at Oakwell to book a place in the division 3 play off final were they will meet Thompson's old side Tranmere Rovers. The game on Sunday will make it three successive play off final appearances for Steve Thompson's men and they will be looking to banish the disappointment of their last trip to Wembley were they were beaten by Watford 3-1 last season.

The Tykes started their third successive play off semi final in superb fashion and opened the scoring with just 4 minutes gone thanks to a clever flick from Maxi LOPEZ 1-0. The Tykes continued to press and saw a couple of chances go by and that wastefulness was to come back and haunt them with 20 minutes on the clock when Chesterfield equalized thanks to a beautiful free-kick from Turkish midfielder Mehmet EKICI 1-1.

Chesterfield certainly had their tails up following that goal and they forced Ochoa in the Barnsley goal to produce some fine saves to ensure the scores remained level that was until the 42nd minute when against the run of play Barnsley regained the lead thanks to a wonderful long range strike from Steven PIENAAR a real kick in the teeth for the Spireites 2-1.

Barnsley came out for the second half reinvigorated following their goal just before the break and within 10 minutes of the restart they made it 3-1 Romain HAMOUMA the man of the moment with a cheeky flick that left Bravo in the Chesterfield goal bamboozled.

The whole of Oakwell was now on it's feet in celebration and with 59 minutes gone they thought their team had scored a 4th goal when Maxi LOPEZ curled home from close range but his celebrations were cut short by the referee's assistant who had his flag raised for offside.

Chesterfield did have a late surge as they went in search of goals but the home side stood firm to record a superb win and book a Wembley date with Tranmere Rovers this Sunday. FULL TIME 3-1.

Following the full time whistle a clearly delighted Steve Thompson spoke to the press....

"I am absolutely over the moon to be in another play off final our performance tonight was superb on the whole and if we can maintain that level we have every chance in the play off final.

I hear we will face Tranmere in the final which is sure to be a fantastic game we beat them in the semi's last season so they will want revenge and that is something we will have to deal with.

We have a few tired legs after tonight and it's now about recovering right and going at it from the first whistle on Sunday"

stevep.png

Heartbreak for Tykes after another final defeat

l6bp.jpg

DEVASTATED - Barnsley manager Steve Thompson could not hide is disappointment at full time

Barnsley fans once again left Wembley stadium dejected after their side were beaten in their second successive play off final this time by Thompson's old side Tranmere with the game finishing 2-0 to the Merseyside outfit.

The result leaves the Tykes to ponder yet another season in division 3 and questions must now be asked if Thompson is capable of taking the club to the next level.

The writing was on the wall for Barnsley in the first half as they failed to register a shot on target whilst Tranmere gave out the warning signs by testing Ochoa in the Tykes goal but the Mexican stopper was equal to everything thrown at him that was until the 55th minute when Tranmere grabbed a deserved lead thanks to Jeronimo CACAU who stabbed the ball home from close range 0-1.

Tranmere continued to dominate proceedings although but Barnsley did fire a warning when a screamer of a shot from Arnautovic zipped just past the upright.

The match was still on a knife's edge despite Tranmere's dominance but any hopes of a Barnsley comeback were put to bed with 9 minutes of the game remaining when Tranmere grabbed their second Jeronimo CACAU grabbing his second of match with another close range finish 0-2.

Barnsley did have a chance to make it a tense final few minutes but a looping header from Andrey Arshavin could only find the top of the net. That proved to be the last action of the game as Tranmere saw the rest of the game out comfortably and secure their place in division 2 next season. FULL TIME.

A devastated Steve Thompson faced the press after the game.

"I am absolutely gutted to be leaving this stadium on the losing side again. It's tough to take after such a long season where we pretty much stayed in the top six from game one.

We can't have many complaints about the result. Our first half performance was not up to standard and we knew the first goal would be very important. We haven't tested the keeper anywhere near enough and that is hugely disappointing in a final like this.

We know have to try and rid ourselves of this heartache which will be tough but we have a squad that is capable of winning the title and that has to be our goal for next season.

Finally i just want to congratulate Ben and his team on their win. They were superb today and i am sure they will do well in division 2 next season"

windspeakerlogo.jpg

BORGNINE EMBRACES MOTHER EARTH, THE ELEMENTS AND THE UNIVERSE IN BID TO SECURE PROMOTION..

rsroh2010_normal.jpgRichard Stillgoe writes...Despite suffering the double heartbreak of narrowly missing out on a Europa cup final spot, and being pipped to a play-off finish by the smallest of margins, Sheffield United boss Ernest Borgnine tonight broke a near season long silence to voice his satisfaction at his teams performance. Following the Blades relegation from division 1 the season before, the appointment of the unknown Borgnine caused quite a stir down Bramall lane as he stubbornly refused to reveal his face and after appearing in a succession of disguises led many to speculate as to his true identity.

Coupled with his confusing apparel and an uneasy start to life in the second tier which saw the lacklustre Yorkshire outfit spending the first half of the campaign hovering dangerously near the drop zone, many at the club were openly questioning Borgnines unorthodox approach. Happily for the under pressure Borgnine, the jeers soon turned to cheers when a change in back room staff and a tactical shift to a belligerent 4-5-1 formation, was rewarded with a slow creep up the table before a record breaking seven game wining streak saw United beaten to a play-off finish by sixth placed Burnley by a single point. Despite the pleasing end to teh campaign , Borgnine has continued to shun the press and so it came as some surprise today as he made his first appearance in months with an impromptu press conference to signal the opening of the new Sheffield United sponsored '' Aboriginal and Indigenous persons spiritual replenishment drop in centre'' in the cities bustling Medowhall shopping mail.

61d47201-868f-488e-9325-c90be9588389_zpsb282b2e1.jpg?t=1381778804

Ernest Borgnine, Boy God Tula and Meher Roy

Speaking alongside coaches Meher Roy 'kaftan' Davis, and boy God Tula the resplendent, Borgnine once more drew shocked stares from unsuspecting local hacks as he appeared clad in what they were later told was his home made homage to the Arapaho bird spirit, but there was no doubting the authenticity of his crows of satisfaction as he declared....

'' ...I'm thrilled by the progress the lads have made at restoring some much needed good Karma here at the club and both me and Meher Roy cannot fault their collective and unstinting commitment to returning to the club to the higher plain that is division one. After a poor start we have learned that key to success both on and off the pitch is the ridding of unnecessary thoughts and distractions and to escape from the restrictive confines of our physical entity and the so called established footballing doctrines as are practiced by many throughout the league. It was to this end that I first brought Meher Roy to the club, and his wisdom and spiritual guidance has allowed us to learn to harness the forgotten forces of Mother Earth, the Elements and the wider universe and combine them with the all knowing wisdom of our ancient forebears from around the globe, to form in bodily and mental conjuncture with our brothers and sisters of the animal kingdom. Whilst I am first to admit these are joyous but early days of realisation here at the club and clearly, as has been foretold, none of us are quiet sure of the path which we may find ourselves drawn to take, I am confident that now unleashed these forces will allow us to transcend the restrictions of those the less favoured and our resurgent spiritual empowerment will inevitably lead us to fulfil our earthly goal and solve the paradox of returning to division one. To assist Meher Roy in guiding us on our path we have have appointed a specialist coaching team who through inner exploration, diet and vigorous training methods are right now preparing the lads for next season, for example the Boy God Tula. Despite being completely mute Tula has proved completely invaluable in half time team talks as through a combination of low and ultra high frequency moaning he restores players to full fitness often curing minor knocks and injuries along the way. Friends , you would not believe the effect he has on the lads when after being set before him the injured often spring to their feet begging to be let back out on the pitch, such is his power. ''

Elsewhere at Bramall, speculation mounts that want away right back Seamus Coleman may finally be one step nearer to sealing his long desire move to promotion rivals Walsall. Despite establishing himself in the right back birth towards the end of the season, the young Irishman remains unhappy at the club. An insider has revealed that Coleman is less than enamored by Borgnines unusual new approach to management and matters come to a head after the player refused to obey a direct instruction from new club dietitian Kwang Quo and indulge in a tasty pre-match meal of organic Wichty worms. The refusal may well come as the final straw in what has been a long running saga, as the Sheffield man looks to bolster his front line using Coleman as bait in a bid to capture young Dutch man Ola John.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtkyI6CbAPxkFO5lsZHWewGgdadwHhcdBA_mF0FpWjklRo3Kc-Lw

Grubs up !!

YURA THE ARMENIAN JOINS UP AT POOL

This+Is+Anfield.jpg

8280.jpg

Former refugee Yuri Movsisyan joins up at Anfield in a deal for £3.6 million & young Spanish kid Delgado Nono, the Armenian striker has said it is a dream come true to sign for Liverpool and has vowed to do his utmost to break his way in to the first team squad.

The former Spartak Moscow striker has a keen eye for goal which should see him get his chance for Liverpool in the coming season.

p5bdtDMzzaY

Here is Yura scoring a hat-trick against Terek.

Liverpool have snapped up a few youngsters as well in the last week or two

Joan Campins & Lucas Garafot of Barcelona.

Hector Bellerin of Arsenal.

John Soutar of Dundee United.

Duarte Ruben of Espanyol.

Jessy Pi of Monaco.

I am quite pleased that Yura has signed for us he will be a valuable member of the first team squad, in the first half of last season we were hit by numerous injuries to first team members which cost us dearly, we only managed to get 22 points in the first 19 games compared to 39 points in the second set of 19 games, I blame this on the depth of the squad, last season we only had a first team squad of 19 players, for the new season we have a first team squad of 24 players which should be enough to make sure we do not suffer the same lacklustre first half to the new season if we get hit by injuries like we did this season.