• Aston Villa F.C. • EC 7027 • Post Collection •

Re: • Aston Villa F.C. • EC 7027 • Post Collection •

NEWSLOGO.png

NEW BOSS AT VILLA

1021575_businessman_silhouette.png

Today, Aston Villa have released a statement confirming that Kieran Tidy has signed a managerial contract with the club, replacing Martin O'Neill in the Villa hot seat. who has retired from the game. Many fans are suprised at the recruitment of Tidy but he promises fans there is nothing to worry about going into the 2010/11 campaign.

Over previous seasons Villa have been flirting with European places in the Barclays Pemier League, and last saw them land 6th position, meaning the club were handed a Europa League Play-off position, but Tidy has told the fans providing a positive pre-season and landing the signings he has anticipated, he sees no reason why they cannot go one better and land a Champions League position that many Villians have been craving.

Speaking on his appointment at the club, Tidy said,
"Aston Villa are a fantastic club with great ambition, I'm sure many can see that. When I first met the Chairman (Randy Lerner) he highlighted the ambitions of the club and what he was expecting from me were I to sign, and I felt that with the team and budget avaliable I could achieve what he was asking. They is already a solid team full of class players here, the mix of experience and youth brings a great balance into the side and I am confident the fans at Villa Park will not be disappointed this season."

Tidy sees a tasty Premier League season ahead of him, with a very busy schedule and the league getting more competitve every season, Tidy will have a big task in front of him if he is too guide his Villa side to the top.

Ahead of the new season, he said,

"We've been working very hard this pre-season and the lads are confident that we can take good form into the Premier League season. My team is not complete yet though, there will still be a lot of in's and outs in the next few days, but these signings will be adding quality to what we already have and bulding the ideal squad, I have always believed in having two for every position as this gives you a number of options to change it around if you have an injury/suspension to deal with."

Tidy faces a difficult opening game to his debut Premier League season as a manager, with Everton visiting Villa Park to open a campaign that Tidy has explained as "challenging but successful" for Villa. Due to last season's finish, Villa have also landed a place in the SMFA Shield, being placed in Group D alongside Sporting CP, Spartak Moskva and PSV Eindhoven.

"We face a difficult opening to the season and the pile-up of fixtures won't be easy on the players as fitness is key to a teams success, but the lads are happy that they are finally back in the season and can't wait for 8pm on Saturday to get this campaign underway."

NEWSLOGO.png

VILLA ANNOUNCE NEW SIGNINGS

Today, Aston VIlla manager Kieran Tidy has announced a quartet of signings at VIlla Park. The rookie boss has brought in 4 big names to bolster his squad ahead of his season opener against Everton on Saturday (7th August.) He has spent big money on his Villa squad for this season an many predict it will pay off with the quality he has brought in.

The first name to be brought in was Luis Fabiano, the 29-year old Brazilian forward from Sevilla, known for his prolific goalscoring and great strength, Fabiano is an excellent signing for sleeping giant Villa. Next to be added to his squad was Norwegian left-back Jon Arne Riise, a deadly left foot and a crunching tackle, Riise will be one of the strongest LB's in the league this season. Next to be added was a Spaniard, Andoni Iraola from Athletic Club, vast experience an great awareness, Iraola and Riise will be one of the best set's of full-backs in the league providing a solid defence. And lastly it was defence that Tidy again splashed the cash on, when Tidy spent big to bring former French international goalkeeper Sebastien Frey to Villa Park, one of the most experienced European goalkeepers around, Villa are looking to concee a minimal amount of goals as it stands.

Here are profiles for all of Villa's new signings:

FABIANOO.png

RIISEE.png

FREYY.png

IRAOLAA.png

"I am extremely happy with the calibre of player I have been able to bring in. When i took up this job, some people expected I would be out my depth and struggle to get the players in, and to be honest I felt the same after many bids I placed were rejected, but who can complain now. I had a base of who I wanted to sign from the start, and luckily 4 of those players were Luis, Jon, Andoni and Sebastien, I could not be happier with the team I have formed and I cannot wait until Saturday."

NEWSLOGO.png

TIDY SHUTS DOOR ON MILNER SPECULATION

MILNA.jpg

Aston Villa boss Kieran Tidy has warned his fellow Premier League manager's that Villa superstar James Milner will not be leaving the club anytime soon, and the England midfielder is very much part of his plans for the coming season.

It was rumoured recently that numurous Premier League clubs had made approaches and enquiries about the 24-year old, who is considered one of the biggest targets around in the English game today, and Tidy has been quick to respond by cancelling out any speculation that he would be leaving the club.

Premier League giants Chelsea and Sunderland are biggest known candidates to date, and some rumours suggest Chelsea had placed a strong bid on Milner, only for Tidy to firmly reject the offer as he sees Milner as his biggest star this year and will is very much so in Tidy's plans.

In an interview at Aston Villa's training ground, boss Kieran Tidy said:

"Yes it is true that we have had quite a few approaches for James, but I can assure all Villa fans now that he will be here for as long as my means allow me too. He may not be the greatest player in the league, granted, he may not be the most expensive player in the league, granted. But to us James is outstanding, he has a great attitude both on and off the pitch, he has a great tactical mind an is always contributing to the team in training sessions. He gets on very well with all the lads and is a role model to a number of young Villians, why would I ruin all that for the gain of a few million pounds? James is priceless and is definitely not leaving us whilst I'm in charge."

Milner responded well to the praise Tidy gave him by saying:

"When the gaffer gives you praise like that you can only be happy, I'm certainly happy here and although there has been some doubts over my future with some big clubs coming in for me, I am confident that I'll get very regular football here and I will be able to further my career by staying here. The coaches here are fantastic and they've managed to make me the player I am today, and I feel its my duty to stay dedicated to this club as they have served me so well over the years."

It is not yet known how fellow Premier League bosses will react to this news but it is expected that many teams will start to look elsewhere for a player similar to MIlner's ability, as Tidy seems to be a tough nut to crack when it comes to his team and players.

NEWSLOGO.png

ASTON VILLA 1-0 SPORTING CP

EL.png

fab.png

Luis Fabiano was the only scorer at VIlla Park last night as Villa opened their Europa League campaign with a 1-0 victory over Portuguese side Sporting CP. A game in which VIlla dominated,

Sporting showed some very good play but Villa were too much for them and Fabiano's strike after 16 minutes was all that was needed for Villa to come out on top in their second home fixture of the new season.

Early exchanges were fairly equal, with new Sporting signing Steven Gerrard troubling the Villa defence early on, but they held strong and kept out the English internationals advances. Villa rested a few big names wanting to concentrate on his league form, and youth talent Marc Albrighton impressed Tidy on the wing with some dangerous runs and impressive crossing. And it was

Albrighton that set up the only goal in the game, when he beat Sporting left-back Fabiano Evaldo to drive the ball across the goal where Brazilian forward Luis Fabiano had all the time and space to thunder the ball into the back of the net to send the Holte End wild after just 16 minutes to give his team the early advantage.

And since the early Villa goal, Sporting never seemed to get back into the game and Villa were in possession on numurous occasions and created many credible chances, 18 to be precise, and they certainly showed they mean business this season with some beautiful passing moves between the players. As the game progressed Fabiano could have easily secured his first hattrick on English soil but unfortunately his shooting was occasionally erratic and this let the Brazilian down on an otherwise perfect performance.

Although Sporting showed some signs of good play, they rarely challenged Sebastien Frey in the Villa goal and never really showed any power up front. It did appear howeer that the Portuguese were occasionally light on their feet and seemed to spend more time on the floor clutching an ankle that hasn't been clipped than actually playing the game, which caused 3 names to placed into the referee's book for supposed "fouls".

After 1 game Villa see themselves 2nd in the group, with PSV gaining a 2-0 victory over other group contenders Spartak Moskva. After the game manager Kieran Tidy seemed pleased with his sides performance but he still thinks there is room for improvement.

Tidy said,
"I am pleased with the result that we got tonight, not only because it was a win for us, but the whole team performance was what we were looking for. Possession in our last game was low for us, but this time we stepped up the pace and managed to get 57%, a great figure for any team in any game. We changed our formation for this game and of course with the extra power up front we had more shots? 18 shots and 10 on target, again not bad I would rather if all were on target, but players are only human, they are bound to make mistakes.

AV.co.uk: WIll you be making any changes for your next Division 1 fixture against Newcastle United?

Tidy:

"There will be 3 new players in place for our next game, I can assure that to the Aston Villa fans, I am 1000% confident that there will be 3 new faces in the team and they will all be of the best quality we can get. There may also be some rotation and maybe another formation change, but we need to think that other during training and we'll need to see what works best, there is still time to gel for us but I'm sure we will find our perfect formation as soon as we possibly can."

AV.co.uk: Are you confident Villa can go far in this tournament this year?

Tidy:

"Never say never, Is all I can say right now. Fans love a good cup run and I will do my best to bring it to them this year. Obviously we have all the English competitions too, they are yet to come but at the moment my sole focus is the league, the cup is also very important but the league is taking priority at the moment.

NEWSLOGO.png

VILLA ANNOUNCE 3 NEW SIGNINGS

Astonvilla.co.uk can today confirm that Kieran Tidy has finally completed the signing of 3 massive names to bolster his squad for the new season. Neither of the 3 faces featured in Saturday's 2-2

draw with Everton, and the players will miss Villa's opening Europa League fixture against Sporting CP, but Tidy is confident these players will be ready in time for Wednesday's trip to St James' Park to face Newcastle United.

Although, with new signings comes departures at the club, but Tidy has assured fans that the players that have been sold have been replaced by better quality players.

The first player to enter the club is Dutch international defender Joris Mathijsen. The defender signed a big money deal on Monday and is likely to start in the centre of defence with Carlos Cuellar against Newcaslte and if he shows the form he produced during the World Cup, Tidy could have some serious thinking to do when he has a full set of centre-backs to choose from, just who he will pick to keep the goals out. And with Mathijsen teaming up with Andre Ooijer which helped the Dutch only conceed two goals at this year's prestigious tournament, many will want to see the experienced Dutchman at the back.
MATHIJSEN.png

MATHSHIRT.png

Next to enter Villa park is French centre-midfielder Benoit Cheyrou. The 29-year old was a big name at Marsielle featuring 101 times in his 3 years at the club, and he hopes to continue this regular game-time at Villa, providing he gets off the best start he believes he can. Cheyrou's older brother (Bruno Cheyrou) featured in the English Premier League between 2002-2004 when he played for Liverpool, but Benoit believes he can improve the image on his family name in this league. Known for his great vision and easy distribution, he will be key in the centre for VIlla this season, linking up with captain Stiliyan Petrov and experienced English midfielder Steven Sidwell.

CHEYROU.png

CHEYSHIRT.png

Lastly, Tidy has brought Goran Pandev into Villa Park as his final signing for the forseeable future. The 27-year old winger has been a force in Serie A over the last few seasons and Tidy thought Pandev was the right man to fire his team up the table with a pleasing scoring record. He has also been a key player for his national team featuring just over 50 times scoring an important 23 goals. Tidy has said Pandev will be used mainly at his second position, on the wing, but he is more than happy to play there as long as it means minutes on the field for the Macedonian. A wicked cross and a deadly shot, Pandev will be heavily involved in Tidy's plans this season.

PANDEV.png

PANSHIRT.png

On the eve of the new arrivals, there have been a number of departures at Villa Park, with Moustapha Salifou, Barry Bannan, Stewart Downing, Curtis Davies, Isaiah Osbourne, Nigel Reo-Coker, Wilfred Bouma, Habib Beye, Brad Friedel, Andy Marshall, Nicky Shorey, Emile Heskey & Marlon Harewood all being sold as part of deals for the new Villa stars.

NEWSLOGO.png

ASTON VILLA vs NEWCASTLE UNITED - PREVIEW

Gamepreview.png

Turn 2 is upon us and it sees Kieran Tidy's Aston Villa side face a difficult trip up north to the forbidden land of Newcastle to face dudeskin8's tough Newcastle United. Turn 1 saw newly-promoted Newcastle secure a dream start whereas Aston Villa were lucky to hold on to an average result for manager Tidy. Both managers are looking for victory tonight and it will be very competitve from the start and it isn't easy to predict this match's outcome just yet.

ASTON VILLA

Last Time Out

Turn 1 saw Villa face European rivals Everton, in one of the more one sided draws that Division 1 has seen in it's time. Villa adopting a new tactic and new faces found it difficult to get into the game at times and only had 2 shots on target, resulting in 2 goals for the Villians. Tidy has promised 3 new faces in his line-up tonight and he hopes these faces will bring him glory. 1 win and 1 draw in his opening two competitive matches is so far so good for the young English manager and he is hoping he can make it 2 victories tonight.

One To Watch

LUIS FABIANO

The striker has got 2 in 2 for his new club and will want to continue this great form with another goal tonight, he is a deadly finisher and has great pace to beat his man. The Newcastle defence is strong and not easy to beat, but Fabiano and his fellow wingers will be looking to exploit any slip-ups and create the chances to give his side their first 3 points of the season.

Likely Line-Up

GK - S.Frey

RB - A.Iraola

CB - C.Cuellar

CB - J.Mathijsen

LB - J.Riise

CM - S.Petrov

CM - B.Cheyrou

RAM - A.Young

CAM - J.Milner

LAM - G.Pandev

ST - L.Fabiano

NEWCASTLE UNITED

Last Time Out

A difficult away trip to White Hart Lane was always a daunting fixture for the Toon on their return to the top league, but manager dudeskin8 seemed to make easy work of Spurs and saw his side cruise to a 2-0 victory, but Spurs powerful attack occasionally showed where the Newcastle defence lacked, with stars like Fabiano and Pandev will be looking to make work of tonight. New striker Oscar Cardozo got himself on the score-sheet along with Frenchman Fabrice Pancrate, both will be looking to get on the score-sheet tonight, but a tougher VIlla defence will prove a tough nut to crack for dudeskin8 and his team.

One To Watch

Edwin Van Der Sar

The Dutch veteran did not feature in Newcastle's opening game as he was still to pass his medical, but the shot-stopper is one of the best in the league and despite his advancing years is still considered as one of the best around. Although the Aston Villa attack proves strong, VDS is still a brilliant reflex keeper and Villa shooting will have to be top notch if they are to get past the 6 ft 5in stopper.

Likely Line-Up (based on last fixture)

GK - E.Van Der Sar

RB - C.Fritz

CB - C.Marchena

CB - S.Ignashevich

LB - M.Schafer

DM - D.Pizarro

RM - E.Elia

LM - F.Pancrate

AM - M.Pjanic

ST - O.Cardozo

ST - L.Adriano

(only my guess)

Match Prediction: Aston Villa 1-0 Newcastle United

NEWSLOGO.png

NEWCASTLE 2-1 ASTON VILLA - FINAL SCORE

Agbonlahor.jpg

Gabby Agbonlahor watches another chance go to waste

The trip to St James' Park was always going to be a difficult one for new Aston Villa boss Kieran Tidy, but he certainly felt his side could have got more out of the game after he saw the Villians go down 2-1 to a very strong Newcastle side this evening.

There was a feeling of optimism and pessimism around St James' Park as both sets of fans feared the result could have either gone theirs or the oppositions way, but it was dudeskin8's Toon Army that powered to victory after goals from Oscar Cardozo and Adriano either side of half-time was enough to cancel out Andoni Iraola's 37th minute strike and send Newcastle into 5th position, and knock Aston VIlla out of the European spots in Division 1.

Early exchanges seemed to be going VIlla's way with a number of players alll across the field but failing to convert their chances, with the best chances seemingly going to Gabriel Agbonlahor just after 10 minutes, but the young England international could not find the goal from what was described by the fans as "literally centremetres". Villa continued to press with wingers Agbonlahor and Young forcing their way into the box but not being able to link up with Luis Fabiano, and it was from a Villa attack that the Toon took the lead, on the counter attack Newcastle easily passed the ball around the field and it fell to Paraguyan striker Oscar Cardozo who sweetly chipped the ball over Sebastien Frey's head to give the Toon a one goal advantage.

After this goal Villa fell apart and started to lose their rythmn and began to fall apart and Newcastle were hot on the attack throughout but VIlla managed to pull themselves together and keep the score-line at 1-0. Things seemed to be going badly for Villa until Andoni Iraola found space in the box and dropped his shoulder to beat his man and unleash a deadly strike that no 'keeper would have been able to reach as the ball crashed as far into the top right-hand corner as it possibly could have, and Villa thought they had found a way back.

Tidy had some home truth's to tell his Villa side at the break but they didn't seem to get through to them as Tidy found his side 2-1 down 3 minutes after the restart, when a long drive was parried by Frey into Adriano's path and the Brazilian could not miss in-front of the Leazes' stand to send the Toon fan's into an eruption of joy and jubilation. Villa never fully recovered from this and rarely threatened Toon 'keeper Edwin Van der Sar and the ex-United stopper was easily capable of handling with any Villa attacks during the early stages in the second half.

Luis Fabiano had a good shout for a penalty on 60 minutes but referee Howard Webb consulted his linesman who claimed there was no foul so no penalty, much to the anger of the Aston Villa fans. From then on out it was quite an even match with a lot of play exchanging in the middle of the park. Tidy introduced Macedonian forward Goran Pandev just after 75 minutes to see if he could shake up the game but he had very little impact and the minutes ran out for Tidy as Villa slumped to their first defeat of the new season. Speaking to Astonvilla.co.uk after the game, Tidy did not seem in the best of moods and knows what went wrong for his team today:

AV.co.uk: So, Kieran, how would you sum up today's game?

Tidy:
"Well we just simply weren't good enough. We played well early on but we just looked clueless at times, I tried to get the message across during but the players couldn't change their ways, but it happens, everyone loses, no-one win's every single game, we need to bounce back next game and show this league we mean business. Our defence fell asleep at times and this is a problem we will be seriously addressing in training this week, we need to sort this problem out as this is where we are losing the game, in our own third. But we cannot just blame the defence, we had 12 shots this game, and only 1 went in, we need to seriously re-think our tactics and see what we can do."

AV.co.uk: How do you assess dudeskin8's performance as Newcastle manager so far?

Tidy:

"Well there is no lying, he has done a great job, finances have always been questionable at the club and to bring in the calibre of players he has is very good. They are no pushovers in this league and they are a lot more difficult to beat than many will predict."

AV.co.uk: Speaking of finanaces, is it true that Aston Villa are indeed struggling to pull some cash together at the present moment?

Tidy:

"I'm not prepared to discuss these matters at the moment but times are hard for all clubs at the moment and I imagine some clubs may be in a more difficult situation than we are, but I'm sure we will be ok and there is nothing to worry about in the forseeable future."