Steven Gerrard

James Milner

Frank Lampard

Strikers:

Wayne Rooney

Carlton Cole

Bobby Zamora

Darren Bent

Lennon, Defoe and Crouch allegedly left out because of a request from Redknapp, although strange that Dawson goes. Presumably Capello is aware of how good the three mentioned are, but hasn't seen Dawson play yet. Would make sense though, would be very strange to drop Lennon who is still young and has done nothing wrong, and Defoe who has done well whenever called upon, and is easily a step up on the rest of England's strikers (Rooney aside, obviously).

Micah Richards also surprisingly not called up, despite not being picked in the U21 squad as well. Unless SSN have made a mistake and he's not eligible of the U21s, which is why he was not picked? Same with Cattermole.

Players Dropped:

Robert Green, David James, Steven Warnock, Matthew Upson, Ledley King, Aaron Lennon, Joe Cole, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Michael Carrick, Jermaine Defoe, Peter Crouch

Players Retired:

Jamie Carragher, Emile Heskey

Thoughts?

Personally:

Players Dropped:

I'm very surprised the Spurs trio (not including King) have been dropped, but the explanation above makes sense. But Green dropped for Foster? Very harsh, based on one mistake and considering how dodgy Foster is. The rest were all expected, based on age really.

Players Not Picked:

I'm surprised Micah Richards doesn't get a chance, instead Capello has gone for Brown who isn't exactly young. Leighton Baines not making it as well - either Capello isn't eager on picking him after his whole homesick incident or just wants to try out Gibbs. Also no Shawcross, disappointingly. No Cattermole, Huddlestone or Rodwell, instead picking only one holding midfielder (Barry). I would have thought at least one of those three would have got a chance, ahead of maybe Lampard, Young or even one of the strikers with Walcott being utilised up top. And it looks like Michael Owen and David Beckham will never play for England again.

Players Picked:

A delight to see Jack Wilshere and Kieran Gibbs to be called up. Wilshere follows in the footsteps of Michael Owen and Wayne Rooney in debuting in his teens (as well as Walcott and Richards..). Big talent that lad. Great to see Robinson get called up as well, IMO the second best English 'keeper. Good to see Jagielka and Cahill back in the team. Also very good to see Johnson back in the side. I'm not sure on Young, deserves a chance I suppose.

I'm disappointed Brown has been recalled though. I know Richards isn't much better but at least he has time for improvement, even if his brain is the size of a pea. Brown struggled against a League 1 striker fcs. Foster too a surprise, third choice at United last season and hasn't done too well for England in the past. Maybe giving him a chance to prove himself at Birmingham first would have made more sense. Green staying in would have made more sense. Kirkland or Carson would probably have been better options too. Young is a surprise (especially if Lennon has actually been dropped!). I'm not too impressed with Zamora or Cole either, but the fact of the matter is, we don't have anyone better. Bar Defoe and Crouch, obviously, but as I've said a good few times now...

None of the real big names dropped either, the ones who did poor in Germany. Lampard, for instance, stays in after some dreadful performances whilst Cole gets dropped without getting a chance. I expect Cole will return though if he stays fit at Liverpool, he's definitely good enough if players like Brown and Lampard in it. Would have been nice to see Capello be ruthless, didn't expect it though..

Re: England Squad Announced

Hopefully we play something like:

Joe Hart

Johnson - Cahill - Jagielka - Cole

Barry

Milner - Gerrard

Wilshere -------- Johnson

Rooney

Hart - Young keeper and i want to see him as our future N.O 1

Johnson - We all know how good he is at right back and is currently our best option there

Cahill - Hes young and one for the future if you look at him internationally wise, want to see how he performs.

Jagielka - Always solid and without Rio i want to see how the England team can do with a new cb partnership

Cole - Same reasons as Johnson

Barry - With only one Holding man hes going to have to play would have loved to see how Rodwell would of done in this position

Milner - Good all over the midfied and i think he could boss the game from a central position instead of out wide.

Gerrard - Played fairly decent for Liverpool the other night from a deeper CM position maybe this is a sign for England to do the same with him?

Johnson - Another young prospect who impressed me before the WC shame he didnt go he could of really offered us something there.

Wilshere - Good young player , want to see how he does in an England top at such a young age.

Rooney - Played well up top on his own last season for United and should be allowed to do the same for England

Players i personally would of included - Shawcross , Smalling , Rodwell , Richards

Delighted Gibbs and especially Wilshere are both in the squad. Hopefully they both start, would love to see them - at least Capello has taken notice and realised we need young blood in the team.

Wilshere, Gibbs and Rodwell will be our next huge things to carry us through these dark times! Can't wait. :D

I think it's a good squad but to all intents and purposes, I don't think Wilshere should be in it. I know he is good (or is said to be good, to be accurate) but until he plays at least a full season it's difficult to judge what he will be like in the Premier League, as I don't think half a season is enough. I'd have rathered Scott Parker or Tom Huddlestone to be in it.

I'm happy that Ashley Young is getting a chance as I think he's one of, if not the, best English winger in the league. I'm surprised Joe Cole isn't there, given that a lot of the other stars are there. I wonder if Capello has something against him, but almost definately not.

I'd be extremely surprised if England don't play 4-5-1 at some point in the game, it'll be interesting if they start with it though. I'm going with a 4-4-2 to start the match (what I think Capello will pick).

Hart (GK)

G.Johnson (CB) Terry (CB) Jagielka (CB) Cole (LB)

Ashley Young (RM) Gerrard (CM) Gareth Barry (CM) A.Johnson (LM)

Rooney (CF) Bent (CF)

This is what I'd like:

Hart (GK)

G.Johnson (CB) Terry (CB) Jagielka (CB) Cole (LB)

Gerrard (DM) Barry (DM)

Ashley Young (RM) Lampard (AM) A.Johnson (LM)

Rooney (CF)

Hard to predict the team, I don't think it will be full strength but a few of the big names will probably play. I expect it will be a mix of big names (Terry and Gerrard will play - Captain and Vice) and debutants/recalled players (Johnson and Hart will probably play). I expect Wilshere and Gibbs will get a few minutes in the second half at most.

I don't see why Gerrard or Ashley Cole should be dropped. Harsh to tarnish them with the same brush of Terry and Lampard are just terrible for England, both have played well in an England shirt. Baring in mind that Gerrard is forced to play out of position, he deserves a chance in the middle. He played well there in SA when he got the chance.

Well, I understand why Capello has picked Gibbs and Wilshere, but, are they ready or good enough yet? Especially Gibbs, who hasn't played competitively for ages, and, to me, he hasn't shown that much anyway to suggest he is currently good enough. He isn't better than Warnock, or Baines. I really hope Cahill gets his chance, and I'm glad Jagielka is in, although maybe he would be better as a DM rather than CB. He could do an excellent job protecting that back line.

I don't think a lot of the strikeforce Rooney aside, and maybe Zamora. Bent has had his chance, and to me it seems like he can't cope with the pressures of the international stage and is best suited to just playing at club level. Cole, well, he'll get more goals than Heskey and will offer something aerially, so I guess I'm happy enough with him. I don't see what right Redknapp has to ask Defoe and Crouch to be left out, everybody else has to deal with it, why can't he? If we take that strikeline to Euro 2012, which, I'm not saying we will, I couldn't imagine us getting too far. I've wanted Zamora in for ages, so I won't complain about him.

Walcott wasn't right to go to the WC and I don't know what has changed now for him to get in now. He should have been told to show he is worth it by consistent great performances for Arsenal first.

I personally would have dropped Lampard, as that would have made a clear statement to everyone, the players, and the press.

Line up:

Hart

Johnson Cahill Terry Cole

Milner Barry Lampard Johnson

Gerrard

Rooney/Zamora

I'd give Wilshere and Zamora the second half to see what they can do, and see if Wilshere could prove me wrong. I'd maybe start Zamora to give him a proper chance to shine and also to allow Rooney to rest and stop SAF from moaning. Also, does Rooney really have anything to prove? We saw he could do it in qualifiers, it was just the major tournament where he failed, not games like this.

This match is more of an opportunity to give a lot of players a chance to prove themselves. Walcott didn't go to SA but those that did - SWP, Cole, Lennon - didn't do particularly well, and obviously Capello wants to look forward to the future now so he's giving the younger players - like Walcott, Wilshere, Gibbs, Cahill - a chance on the international stage, to see how they do for their country. I doubt these same players will be picked regularly if they struggle to play, or play well, this season, but right now it's a chance for those players that didn't make it to SA to prove themselves, as well as a statement from Capello.

"Walcott wasn't right to go to the WC and I don't know what has changed now for him to get in now."

Wrong attitude really, otherwise it would be the same team that went to SA playing again, minus any retirements. This is a chance to start over, drop the older generation and give the younger players and the fringe players a chance. What has changed is that the players that did go did poor, a good few are at their peak or past it right now and it's a fresh chance for a new generation.

Whilst players like Wilshere and Gibbs may not be better than other options, it's more about giving them a taste of international experience in a meaningless game than anything else. Capello is looking at the players that could play in 2012 and 2014, and those two (and Walcott) are definitely players that could be good enough by then.

It's all a marvellous cover-up ;) Of course Capello had to make some changes to the squad or he'd be annihilated by the press and public. However, I sincerely doubt any of the new guys will start and frankly wouldn't be surprised if we saw a very similar starting line-up (player-wise) to SA :o I do reckon he might change the formation round though.

Hart

Johnson Dawson Terry Cole

Walcott Lampard Barry Milner

Gerrard

Rooney

is what I expect him to put out. Ideally I'd play something a bit fresher...

Hart

Johnson Jagielka Cahill Cole

Barry

Walcott Milner Wilshere Johnson

Rooney

but as I said, I sincerely doubt it :(

It's all a marvellous cover-up ;) Of course Capello had to make some changes to the squad or he'd be annihilated by the press and public. However' date=' I sincerely doubt any of the new guys will start and frankly wouldn't be surprised if we saw a very similar starting line-up (player-wise) to SA :o I do reckon he might change the formation round though.

[center']Hart

Johnson Dawson Terry Cole

Walcott Lampard Barry Milner

Gerrard

Rooney[/center]

is what I expect him to put out. Ideally I'd play something a bit fresher...

Hart

Johnson Jagielka Cahill Cole

Barry

Walcott Milner Wilshere Johnson

Rooney

but as I said, I sincerely doubt it :(

i think it'll be Gerrard's special day if he finally gets to play of Rooney:rolleyes:

BIT LATE FOR THAT NOW!!

This match is more of an opportunity to give a lot of players a chance to prove themselves. Walcott didn't go to SA but those that did - SWP' date=' Cole, Lennon - didn't do particularly well, and obviously Capello wants to look forward to the future now so he's giving the younger players - like Walcott, Wilshere, Gibbs, Cahill - a chance on the international stage, to see how they do for their country. I doubt these same players will be picked regularly if they struggle to play, or play well, this season, but right now it's a chance for those players that didn't make it to SA to prove themselves, as well as a statement from Capello.[/quote']

But the England cap is precious. It must be earned. Gibbs in particular hasn't earned one. AJ, Dawson, Cahill, Zamora, those are all fair enough, they've shown quality at club level to suggest they could offer something for England and do a job. Wilshere hasn't earned the chance to play for England yet. He will. But he hasn't yet. As for Gibbs, I'm not even fully convinced he will ever be good enough for England, I don't think he has shown enough in games for Arsenal to suggest he is a future England international. And, therefore, even if it is a meaningless friendly, why give a cap to someone like Gibbs who may never be good enough when we could be trying people like Warnock. Gibbs may have a great season this season, and that would be when he should play, once his play has actually suggested he is worthy of a cap. If he had done what he's done at Arsenal for someone like Stoke, or even City, then I'm not sure he'd even have been called up.

As for SWP - he was England's second highest rated player on the Capello index, Capello obviously thought he was one of the best of a bad lot. So why drop him? Yet not someone like Lampard, who, yes he is better than SWP, but dropping Lampard could have more benefits to the rest of England in the long term than dropping someone like SWP, who Capello seemed to think did OK in the WC and better than Lampard. It's a meaningless friendly, it's not like England would suffer greatly without someone like Lampard.

"Walcott wasn't right to go to the WC and I don't know what has changed now for him to get in now."

Wrong attitude really, otherwise it would be the same team that went to SA playing again, minus any retirements. This is a chance to start over, drop the older generation and give the younger players and the fringe players a chance. What has changed is that the players that did go did poor, a good few are at their peak or past it right now and it's a fresh chance for a new generation.

I just generally feel Walcott should be made to work on his game at Arsenal before getting another call up, work on his faults, and make sure he utilises his pace as well as possible. I don't think he'll add any extra to the England team now then he would have in SA. Johnson and Wilshere will be getting a proper chance for England, something they haven't had yet, which is why I agree with their inclusion. Walcott has already had that chance, now he needs to work hard and in a bit he should be ready to come back.

(I changed my mind about Wilshere after a longer think)

Whilst players like Wilshere and Gibbs may not be better than other options, it's more about giving them a taste of international experience in a meaningless game than anything else. Capello is looking at the players that could play in 2012 and 2014, and those two (and Walcott) are definitely players that could be good enough by then.

As I said before, Wilshere, fair enough. But what do we do if he plays badly? Pick him for the next squad or not? (Assuming he does all right wherever he plays this season)

Gibbs, as I said, I wouldn't consider for Euro 2012 yet, as he hasn't shown enough yet to be a future England international in my opinion. Therefore, in my opinion, he shouldn't be there as that taste of international experience could turn out to be irrevelent when we could have been playing someone who will be good enough for Euro 2012. There will be future friendlies to try Gibbs in if it turns out he shows he is good enough, as well as the qualifiers.

Gibbs in particular hasn't earned one. . As for Gibbs' date=' I'm not even fully convinced he will ever be good enough for England, I don't think he has shown enough in games for Arsenal to suggest he is a future England international.[/quote']

WHAT!! Gibbs is pure quality, if he's not englands next lb, then i think we'll be playing without one!

Why has he played Wes Brown :confused: say he played for Bolton with the exact same level of performance that he's done for United, he wouldn't get near the squad. He's not young, and he's not a United player when in an England shirt so why hasn't say even a young Dan Gosling got a run out, maybe Danny Simpson. There's probably a better example, but there's plenty of young full-backs that could have been given a chance over Brown.

WHAT!! Gibbs is pure quality' date=' if he's not englands next lb, then i think we'll be playing without one![/quote']

I hope your right. I really do. I just don't think at the moment his performances have suggested "He'll be a star for England one day". Maybe they will this season. But thats when you call him up. When he's shown he could be worth it. The England cap is precious, you don't just hand them out.

Why has he played Wes Brown :confused: say he played for Bolton with the exact same level of performance that he's done for United' date=' he wouldn't get near the squad. He's not young, and he's not a United player when in an England shirt so why hasn't say even a young Dan Gosling got a run out, maybe Danny Simpson. There's probably a better example, but there's plenty of young full-backs that could have been given a chance over Brown.[/quote']

Martin Kelly, Stephen Darby;)

WHAT!! Gibbs is pure quality' date=' if he's not englands next lb, then i think we'll be playing without one![/quote']

Cole will still be the best English LB for a few years. Gibbs hasn't done all that much at Arsenal. Over-hyped as he's one of their only Englishmen.

Why has he played Wes Brown :confused: say he played for Bolton with the exact same level of performance that he's done for United' date=' he wouldn't get near the squad. He's not young, and he's not a United player when in an England shirt so why hasn't say even a young Dan Gosling got a run out, maybe Danny Simpson. There's probably a better example, but there's plenty of young full-backs that could have been given a chance over Brown.[/quote']

Agreed but Gosling and Simpson shouldn't have been picked :P We need new blood but also folks that have played a few games. I'm biased but Richards and Onuoha should have been given a nod and I'm surprised Shawcross isn't in there. As long as Smalling doesn't get in...

Another one who could make a surge for Euro 2012 or maybe the 2014 World Cup would be Michael Johnson. Although due to his injury problems that might not really be until next year when he starts to force his way into the England reckoning.

No, no, no. He's big, overweight and generally unfit. Bigger chance of John Parkin getting a call-up.

Generally, he'll never play for Man. City in the league again, and he'll have to do a lot of work to find a club and work himself into shape and into a good player again.

Cole will still be the best English LB for a few years. Gibbs hasn't done all that much at Arsenal. Over-hyped as he's one of their only Englishmen.

Agreed but Gosling and Simpson shouldn't have been picked :P We need new blood but also folks that have played a few games. I'm biased but Richards and Onuoha should have been given a nod and I'm surprised Shawcross isn't in there. As long as Smalling doesn't get in...

Another one who could make a surge for Euro 2012 or maybe the 2014 World Cup would be Michael Johnson. Although due to his injury problems that might not really be until next year when he starts to force his way into the England reckoning.

I think its time for you 2 to take of your blue sunglasses when it comes to the national team, if u've seen any matches in which Gibbs had played before his injury, u'd know he's a quality player. Also give cole another 2-3 years, and his pace will start to go and thats when Gibbs WILL be first choice.

No' date=' no, no. He's big, overweight and generally unfit[/b']. Bigger chance of John Parkin getting a call-up.

Generally, he'll never play for Man. City in the league again, and he'll have to do a lot of work to find a club and work himself into shape and into a good player again.

I was just about to say that. Although I am a City fan, Michael Johnson will never ever get the time of day anymore at Man City

No' date=' no, no. He's big, overweight and generally unfit. Bigger chance of John Parkin getting a call-up.

Generally, he'll never play for Man. City in the league again, and he'll have to do a lot of work to find a club and work himself into shape and into a good player again.[/quote']

That's why I said it will take time. He'll have to get fit, and work hard to get his body back into shape, that won't happen easily. And, the management at City still seem quite hopeful about him and his potential. Stuart Pearce rates him very highly as well. He was being compared to Gerrard 3 years ago.

If not at City, which, sadly, I worry it might not be, then why not at another club? He has shown he has the potential to be a quality player, he just needs someone to have the faith in him that his career hasn't been ruined. A lot of it is down to him, because he needs to work very hard, but I don't see why if he puts that work in he can't be rewarded.

And I hope his blunder against the USA wasn't the only reason Green was dropped.

I think its time for you 2 to take of your blue sunglasses when it comes to the national team' date=' if u've seen any matches in which Gibbs had played before his injury, u'd know he's a quality player. Also give cole another 2-3 years, and his pace will start to go and thats when Gibbs WILL be first choice.[/quote']

I'm not wearing blue sunglasses (although I was when I was on holiday a couple of weeks back), I just genuinely believe in the potential of Michael Johnson. But, as I said, he will need to work very, very hard and it could well be it would be in his best interests to leave City.

He'll need to get in to 'A' team before he even gets looked at:rolleyes:

No' date=' no, no. He's big, overweight and generally unfit. Bigger chance of John Parkin getting a call-up.

Generally, he'll never play for Man. City in the league again, and he'll have to do a lot of work to find a club and work himself into shape and into a good player again.[/quote']

"He's" could now stand for "He was" ;) He's been involved with pre-season at City and seems to be injury free. Before he went downhill he was absolute quality. If he can regain form again then there's no reason why he shouldn't be in the frame. Oh, and ANWOTTY bloke, I really don't think Onuoha will be at City next year however he is still one of the best young defenders in the league. Richards deserves a chance just as much as Brown and is far younger which is what Capello was meant to be going for.

I think its time for you 2 to take of your blue sunglasses when it comes to the national team' date=' if u've seen any matches in which Gibbs had played before his injury, u'd know he's a quality player. Also give cole another 2-3 years, and his pace will start to go and thats when Gibbs WILL be first choice.[/quote']

He hasn't proved himself to be England international material so far at Arsenal,

Neither's Jack Wilshere, to be honest i don't think he's the best young left-back in England. He'll probably become it, if he gets the benefits of Arsenal & England but realistically he's got a pretty fortunate call-up, but it did look likely.