Official England Thread

Seftinho

Re: Official England Thread

Can't answer the first one as I wouldn't know until I was in the situation.

Why shouldn't it be a choice? I watch football for entertainment England don't entertain me as I don't feel anything for the team and watching their matches doesn't entertain me (unless they are getting smashed by the Germans).

Each to their own but i find that statement quite sad and disappointing.

When was he not crap?

He's never been crap...until now. Last season he was one of the best RBs in the league. And he's had other consistent spells as well. I've always rated him but he's gotten a lot worse over the last year

I find it's the top team's fans (in general) that have a dislike towards the national team and I just don't get it. A few of my mates go as far to say they hate England and want them to fail and they are United, Liverpool and Arsenal fans. If you were patriotic and like football I don't understand why you wouldn't get behind your national team.

I just don't get it. You can support a bunch of essentially random, mostly foreign, players playing in your clubs colours but don't support the players representing your country and the founders of the game. The excuses for not wanting England to do well are pretty pathetic IMO.

I find it's the top team's fans (in general) that have a dislike towards the national team and I just don't get it. A few of my mates go as far to say they hate England and want them to fail and they are United' date=' Liverpool and Arsenal fans.[b'] If you were patriotic[/b] and like football I don't understand why you wouldn't get behind your national team.

What if you're not patriotic?

Times have changed, loads prefer club over country.

Not everyone is patriotic and not every one will feel an affinity towards the national team.
What if you're not patriotic?

Times have changed' date=' loads prefer club over country.[/quote']

Again, i think the point is about people wanting England to lose. I can understand people having little passion for the national side

I find it's the top team's fans (in general) that have a dislike towards the national team and I just don't get it. A few of my mates go as far to say they hate England and want them to fail and they are United' date=' Liverpool and Arsenal fans. If you were patriotic and like football I don't understand why you wouldn't get behind your national team.

Maybe the fans of the 'poorer' teams like England do it gives them a chance to support decent playera.

I just don't get it. You can support a bunch of essentially random, mostly foreign, players playing in your clubs colours but don't support the players representing your country and the founders of the game. The excuses for not wanting England to do well are pretty pathetic IMO.[/quote']

Well I support these random foreigners as they play for the team I chose to support and not players who just happen to be born in the same place as me.

Uruguay only win 1-0 against a depleted Northern Ireland team at home. Maybe England shouldn't fear them' date=' if Suarez is not at 100% by game time you would have to really fancy your chances.[/quote']

Well it's a friendly and I wouldn't take the result too seriously but England shouldn't really fear anyone, I think they're biggest chance of failure is to fear a team, shut up shop and ultimately lose. If they're going to win the tournament, they need to play with a freedom and with a Liverpool like set up that can win matches.

England are boring and I could take no pleasure in seeing Gerrard lift a trophy. Also I can still watch and get excited for the world cup as I am sure there will be plenty of good games.

well this thread may be the wrong place for you' date=' might feel more at home elsewhere haha. :P

Lovely finish from Sturridge. Lallana looks so comfortable playing at international level, he has been very good so far in this half.

Defence has looked a little suspect to the trough ball which could be a worry when playing the likes of Uruguay who have better quick players over Peru.

lallana has surprised me.

from that game im kind of worried:

4231 but as soon as the gerrard-henderson pivot got the ball none of the front 4 came towards the ball so they just ended up playing long balls forward, seemed to be a 20 yard gap between the 2 in the 4231 and the forward 4.

hopefully if rooney is fitter he starts to drop deep from his no10 spot, sturridge stays further up as he didnt impress me coming away from goal it isnt where his talents lie, lallana was decent and i hope sterling comes on instead of welbeck and offers us a bit more off the ball movement.

not sure if it was just me but i thought in open play our front 4 really didn't gel to well at all...

baines got forward well but yeah, still a few serious things to iron out if you cant get it sorted against peru really need to work better as a team against italy etc.

maybe thats just me who saw thinks this though :)

Henderson' date=' Gerrard won't work anyway if Henderson has to sit that deep. He needs to be running up the pitch and linking with the attack.[/quote']

yeah i kind of agree with that, looked a bit static at times. one of them needs to work space and push on a bit when its safe and in possession.

henderson should be able to do that, rather give him one more go and if not then wilshere maybe although he is a bit too direct for my liking.

yeah i kind of agree with that' date=' looked a bit static at times. one of them needs to work space and push on a bit when its safe and in possession.

henderson should be able to do that, rather give him one more go and if not then wilshere maybe although he is a bit too direct for my liking.[/quote']

It's nothing to do with him not being able to do it though, he done it week in week out all season for Liverpool. Managers orders I reckon.

It's nothing to do with him not being able to do it though' date=' he done it week in week out all season for Liverpool. Managers orders I reckon.[/quote']

yeah that why i am confused, im trying not to be negative but the rigid 4231 hodgson put out last night really won't cut it against half decent teams.

we basically got no goals at all against a weakened peru side.

2 corners and one long range individual effort from a throw in...

oh well i really hope he learns from this and actually tries to attack at least a small part.

Wilshere is terrible' date=' face it. The hype was too strong with that one.[/quote']

Oh come on he is far from terrible, i do agree that he is over rated but he is still a good player.

lallana has surprised me.

from that game im kind of worried:

4231 but as soon as the gerrard-henderson pivot got the ball none of the front 4 came towards the ball so they just ended up playing long balls forward' date=' seemed to be a 20 yard gap between the 2 in the 4231 and the forward 4.

hopefully if rooney is fitter he starts to drop deep from his no10 spot, sturridge stays further up as he didnt impress me coming away from goal it isnt where his talents lie, lallana was decent and i hope sterling comes on instead of welbeck and offers us a bit more off the ball movement.

not sure if it was just me but i thought in open play our front 4 really didn't gel to well at all...

baines got forward well but yeah, still a few serious things to iron out if you cant get it sorted against peru really need to work better as a team against italy etc.

maybe thats just me who saw thinks this though :)[/quote']

No i do agree with the vast majority of what you have said. Rooney wasn't quite on it last night so hopefully when he plays to the best of his ability he will be able to link up the midfield and forward line better.

Sturridge definitely needs to just stay as a centre forward and not come looking for the ball, he is best at running onto balls and doing the majority of his work in and around the box.

I think maybe the lack of width was a hindrance as well, although with Baines and Johnson who can attack the wings well i still think that without someone like Sterling on the pitch as well there is not enough of a threat out wide.