Official England Thread

Seftinho

Re: +

Sure we looked good going forward. Defensively Gerrard is one of the main problems with that England team' date=' he was worse than Rooney last night, worst player in our side.[/quote']

I wholeheartedly disagree. Rooney was by far and away England's worst player in my opinion last night.

The issue we have is no depth in the holding midfield positions and I have stated in a previous post the two natural holding midfielders that may have got a look in, though on current form (based on premier league form) they are not deserving of a place over the Liverpool duo.

If the players are not there at our disposal then there is little to nothing that can be done about it. I feel Gerrard is more than capable of playing that role seemingly a few of you disagree.

Re: Official England Thread

To be fair, England didnt play that bad. The last two world cups, watching England has made me want to punch myself repetitively in the face but they actually played alright last night. Baines is getting some unnecessary stick as he was 2v1 in a tight back line all night but again, Rooney is poor. Still scored as many goals in world cups as his bird... NONE. Roy needs to get some balls and drop the lazy fat turd.

Rooney is a striker, but he's so good at other things that he is always played never striker.. if you played lewandoski balotelli ibrahimovic behind two strikers asking him to simply create play and never being on the last defender they would look twice as bad, to a lesser extend maybe balotelli

Problem is when he signed for united and Ferguson putting him into that role, put welbeck on the bench put rooney as the CF, sturridge at RW/ST and barkley or lallana maybe welbeck actually on the left but welbeck aswell is a CF not a winger, even tough he is reasonably useful there

Anyway I was impressed with england last night, the humidity even at the pace of that match would have been a killer, even after the match rooney in his interview could hardly think, marchisio said after the game he felt like he was hallucinating (and id love to know how many yards rooney ran compared to marchisio, can somebody go find out?)

Anyway in cooler climate with some changes england have decent chance, they lack a DM tough, IMO phil jones should be there playing in the di rossi role with gerrard slightly more attacking.

I see what you are saying but if the best option ahead of the Liverpool duo is Barry then we are in serious trouble. Barry had a decent enough season to perhaps warrant being taken Since Roy has tried to choose players on form (bar Rooney.) I just feel the Liverpool influence through the spine of the side (minus the CB's of course) is the best way forward.

So who other than Carrick and Barry is out there for England to play in the holding position? Absolutely nobody is the answer and on current form neither are an improvement on the Liverpool duo.

Liverpool's influence also means copying a team that conceded 50 goals in the season with Steve me playing as the holding player, you do realise that don't you? And there's no in form Luis Suarez in the England team. Steven Gerrard has barely enough positional discipline to play as a normal CM, let alone playing as the deepest of the 3. Gareth Barry has more defensive nous and discipline than Gerrard ever had and or ever will. Carrick has been rubbish this season (though he's still hell of a lot better defensively than Gerrard) so can't blame Woy for that but Barry should have been starting.

I wholeheartedly disagree. Rooney was by far and away England's worst player in my opinion last night.

The issue we have is no depth in the holding midfield positions and I have stated in a previous post the two natural holding midfielders that may have got a look in' date=' though on current form (based on premier league form) they are not deserving of a place over the Liverpool duo.

If the players are not there at our disposal then there is little to nothing that can be done about it. I feel Gerrard is more than capable of playing that role seemingly a few of you disagree.[/font']

Nah it was Scouse Steve that was the worst. I don't care about no depth, Gerrard was terrible and didn't do his job.

Liverpool's influence also means copying a team that conceded 50 goals in the season with Steve me playing as the holding player' date=' you do realise that don't you? And there's no in form Luis Suarez in the England team. Steven Gerrard has barely enough positional discipline to play as a normal CM, let alone playing as the deepest of the 3. Gareth Barry has more defensive nous and discipline than Gerrard ever had and or ever will. Carrick has been rubbish this season (though he's still hell of a lot better defensively than Gerrard) so can't blame Woy for that but Barry should have been starting.[/quote']

So conceding the goals they did is down to Gerrard alone right? That is how I have interpreted your post. The fact they never had a settled defence for the entirety of the season attributed to that more so, you do realise that don't you?

It is hypothetical anyway since neither Barry or Carrick are there so it is merely speculation whether they would do a better job or not irrespective of them being a more natural holding player.

Nah it was Scouse Steve that was the worst. I don't care about no depth' date=' Gerrard was terrible and didn't do his job.[/quote']

So the fact we were constantly exposed down the left side with Baines constantly facing a 2 on 1 scenario was Gerrard fault and nothing to do with Rooney not doing the job he was assigned to do for the team?

So conceding the goals they did is down to Gerrard alone right? That is how I have interpreted your post. The fact they never had a settled defence for the entirety of the season attributed to that more so' date=' you do realise that don't you?

It is hypothetical anyway since neither Barry or Carrick are there so it is merely speculation whether they would do a better job or not irrespective of them being a more natural holding player. [/font']

Not him alone no, but it's not a bloody coincidence that's for sure. To put it simply, he's not a holding player and is a liability there. You need someone with a lot more defensive nous playing there. When you are playing a 4-3-3 with inverted wingers you need your DM's to be....well actual defensive players.

Rooney was playing well out position and I don't think he was even playing on the left when Balotelli scored. He had switched to the right by that point. He wasn't very good either but did create Sturridge's goal.

I would play Sterling on the left, Milner on the right with Rooney behind Sturridge. That way Rooney can help out the CM's while still offering something going forward. If Rooney's going to spend the entire time defending as he did for most of that first half then might as well play Milner who's better at that job.

Loving the fact that some fans are trying to shift the blame for the defensive problems last night, there was nothing wrong in the centre of the pitch, the biggest problem was obvious and everybody knows what that problem was...

Saying otherwise is pure fiction....

If Hodgson is gunna play Rooney he has to play him up top or behind Sturridge, based on last night you wouldn't play him on the wings again, and yes whilst it ain't his best natural position it is a position he has played for United on plenty of occasions and don't excuse the fact that he simply did not do what was asked of him in the interests of the team.

He might well have had the hump about playing there but he still has a job to do for the team and simply put he did not do what a player in that role is supposed to do.

Not him alone no' date=' but it's not a bloody coincidence that's for sure. To put it simply, he's not a holding player and is a liability there. You need someone with a lot more defensive nous playing there. When you are playing a 4-3-3 with inverted wingers you need your DM's to be....well actual defensive players.

Rooney was playing well out position and I don't think he was even playing on the left when Balotelli scored. He had switched to the right by that point. He wasn't very good either but did create Sturridge's goal.

I would play Sterling on the left, Milner on the right with Rooney behind Sturridge. That way Rooney can help out the CM's while still offering something going forward. If Rooney's going to spend the entire time defending as he did for most of that first half then might as well play Milner who's better at that job.[/quote']

So let me get this right, using your own theory Gerrard in your opinion is not a holding player and thus by your reckoning is being played "well out of position" which you are slating him for "not doing his job" yet when the same is said about Rooney you are less scathing and pick up on the one good thing he did in the game with the assist and not the multitude of positional flaws that were clearly evident in his game. He was assigned to do a job and he did not do it, plain and simple as that.

Am I right in assuming you are a United fan by any chance? Or just not a fan of Gerrard? I agree that to get the best out of Rooney he would be better behind Sturridge, I also agree with Sterling on the left, however I am not sold on Milner, yes he will defend but as an attacking outlet he offers very little. If the Ox is fit I would prefer to see him out there, both he and Sterling are not afraid to put a shift in and track back whilst having more to there game going forward than Milner.

Nothing wrong with the centre of the park, the problem was down the left side. Darmain & Candreva showed their attacking class last night, they battered poor Baines as he was given no help by the United pair who where too busy prancing about and changing wings.

Lol from the Croatian who thought Mandzukic would give Brazil a hard game.

so him making a wrong prediction makes your retarded comments that lampard is better than gerrard true?

and shaw better than baines?

seriously difficult to see what team you support with the lack of bias shining through........

not a single person agreed with you' date=' fair enough if thats your opinion but you come across as a massive spotteddick right now.

incase your not sure what that is here;

[img']http://carlindustries.com/ciwp/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/spotted_dick-640x480.jpeg[/img]

So let me get this right' date=' using your own theory Gerrard in your opinion is not a holding player and thus by your reckoning is being played "well out of position" which you are slating him for "not doing his job" yet when the same is said about Rooney you are less scathing and pick up on the one good thing he did in the game with the assist and not the multitude of positional flaws that were clearly evident in his game. He was assigned to do a job and he did not do it, plain and simple as that.

Am I right in assuming you are a United fan by any chance? Or just not a fan of Gerrard? I agree that to get the best out of Rooney he would be better behind Sturridge, I also agree with Sterling on the left, however I am not sold on Milner, yes he will defend but as an attacking outlet he offers very little. If the Ox is fit I would prefer to see him out there, both he and Sterling are not afraid to put a shift in and track back whilst having more to there game going forward than Milner.[/font']

I am not sure how you are reading all that from my post. Let me put it more succinctly. Rooney and Gerrard were bad however Rooney did assist the first goal. Neither Rooney nor Gerrard should be playing in the positions they started against Italy. I am not blaming either of them. Woy is to blame for starting them there and hoping they do a job that neither of them is very good at.

The front 4 should be Sturridge with Sterling, Rooney and Ox behind him. I'd drop one of Gerrard/Hernderson and play either Milner or Jones as a more defensive option. Ideally, it should be Barry playing there.

But Mandzukic was suspended.

yeah so it was a simple mistake from a guy.

it doesn't justify his nonsense of a prediction that lampard is in any way close to gerrard right now.

one was a simple mistake from a guy, the other just shows no footballing understanding whatsoever:)

not at club level, individual honours this season or international selections.

Has Baines had a good performance in an England shirt? No.

Was Baines good last night? No.

Has Rooney ever performed at a World Cup? No.

Was Rooney good last night? Other than 1 pass in 90 minutes, no.

Was Gerrard good last night? No.

At the end of the day last night didn't work. Not sure how to react to the Costa Rica game, is it a good or bad result?

Uruguay will be wounded so won't be easy to play with Suarez seemingly set to start and Costa Rica will rightly feel they can beat both Italy & England.

Will always have eternal optimism but when you consider we are actually in the group of death we needed better than last night.

Onto the next match!

Thought there was plenty of promise last night, but lots to improve upon. We attacking very well and caused Italy's defence some problems but failed to create many cutting edge chances. I also thought that Henderson and Gerrard offered very little protection to the back 4.

Sterling had a cracking game and I thought Welbeck played his role very well too. He offered a lot going forwards but also provided good protection for Johnson by often winning possession further up the pitch. Rooney had a bit of a stinker IMO. Great assist for the goal but that was the only time he stuck to his flank and exploited the gaps Darmian left when he went forward. He seemed lost out on the flank, didn't put enough effort in and I don't think he deserves to usurp any of the other 3 attackers to play in a different role. Lallana or Barkley in for him next time around please.

I think our chances to get through are still OK. We played much better than Uruguay did yesterday and Suarez surely can't improve them to the extent that I'd be worried by them. Their defence was appalling and they're without Pereira too. Costa Rica surprised me a lot but I'd err on the side of that being a shock, rather than them being quietly stunning.

Lol from the Croatian who thought Mandzukic would give Brazil a hard game.

I had forgotten he was suspended whats wrong with that' date=' people make mistakes. Doesn't mean I cant disagree with your post.[/color']

so him making a wrong prediction makes your retarded comments that lampard is better than gerrard true?

and shaw better than baines?

seriously difficult to see what team you support with the lack of bias shining through........

not a single person agreed with you' date=' fair enough if thats your opinion but you come across as a massive spotteddick right now.

incase your not sure what that is here;

[img']http://carlindustries.com/ciwp/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/spotted_dick-640x480.jpeg[/img]

Thanks mate, I tend to ignore such posts that has no barring on anything.

Has Baines had a good performance in an England shirt? No.

Was Baines good last night? No.

Has Rooney ever performed at a World Cup? No.

Was Rooney good last night? Other than 1 pass in 90 minutes' date=' no.

Was Gerrard good last night? No.

At the end of the day last night didn't work. Not sure how to react to the Costa Rica game, is it a good or bad result?

Uruguay will be wounded so won't be easy to play with Suarez seemingly set to start and Costa Rica will rightly feel they can beat both Italy & England.

Will always have eternal optimism but when you consider we are actually in the group of death we needed better than last night.

Onto the next match![/quote']

Did Baines have any protection from his midfield last night? No

Would Shaw have done any better? No

Would Cole have done any better? No

Yes it wasn't Baines' best game and he should have done more to stop the cross for the second but it is pretty hard to defend two players with no one helping him. That is why he is so good for Everton when he bombs forward Distin, Barry or McCarthy cover for him which just doesn't happen at all with England.

Thought there was plenty of promise last night' date=' but lots to improve upon. We attacking very well and caused Italy's defence some problems but failed to create many cutting edge chances. I also thought that Henderson and Gerrard offered very little protection to the back 4.

Sterling had a cracking game and I thought Welbeck played his role very well too. He offered a lot going forwards but also provided good protection for Johnson by often winning possession further up the pitch. Rooney had a bit of a stinker IMO. Great assist for the goal but that was the only time he stuck to his flank and exploited the gaps Darmian left when he went forward. He seemed lost out on the flank, didn't put enough effort in and I don't think he deserves to usurp any of the other 3 attackers to play in a different role. Lallana or Barkley in for him next time around please.

I think our chances to get through are still OK. We played much better than Uruguay did yesterday and Suarez surely can't improve them to the extent that I'd be worried by them. Their defence was appalling and they're without Pereira too. Costa Rica surprised me a lot but I'd err on the side of that being a shock, rather than them being quietly stunning.[/quote']

You never know about Suarez Stuart. I mean he carried Liverpool single Hadley for some time and with out him they wouldn't be where they are now.

But yeh, I get your point.