Official England Thread

Seftinho

Re: Official England Thread

Hart

Flanagan-Stones-Cahill-Shaw

Jones/Chalobah

Walcott-Henderson-Barkley-Sterling

Sturridge

Hart has to be there, I firmly believe an experienced GK is vital.

Same with Cahill, the way he is going he will be key.

Flano at RB, big fan.

Also think Stones will develop immensely.

Midfield is hard - Ox, Wilshere, Ward-Prowse, Hughes etc.

Sturridge will be the main striker, with Rooney lurking around & Wickham kicking about too.

So is Roy gonna leave his position after the WC? Perhaps maybe a new coaching style could maybe improve the team. England do have quality players' date=' but perhaps a new coaching style is necessary.[/quote']

He and the FA have already said he will be in charge until after the Euros to complete his four year cycle.

He and the FA have already said he will be in charge until after the Euros to complete his four year cycle.

0.0 dang alright. Well there isn't really anything that can be worse. Honestly, the game versus Italy was really good for you guys. There is alot to work on but It's not like there isn't anything to work with.

• 4 weeks later...

Steven Gerrard has retired from international football. What a player. In his prime he was one of the greatest midfielders in the world. Glad he got one last shot at playing in a big tournament at international level last month, and his departure will make way for the next generation. It'll be hard to find another Gerrard, but hopefully the newest batch of youth can replicate just half of the effort he put in.

Thanks, Steven!

P.S. I know there's A LOT of cheese in this post :P

Steven Gerrard has retired from international football. What a player. In his prime he was one of the greatest midfielders in the world. Glad he got one last shot at playing in a big tournament at international level last month' date=' and his departure will make way for the next generation. It'll be hard to find another Gerrard, but hopefully the newest batch of youth can replicate just half of the effort he put in.

Thanks, Steven!

P.S. I know there's A LOT of cheese in this post :P[/quote']

Hear, Hear a magnificent player and servant for his country. 114 caps a third of them as captain, never ducked turning up for his country, gave his all and always man enough to front up when others would not.

He will be hard to replace in what he brings both on and off the pitch but England has to look forward now and the biggest question is who should or will be the next Captain??

To me I would go for Joe Hart, same as Gerrard he leads, always fronts up, guarenteed to play and has a passion for his country.

There really are not many candidates at all, I mean how many players are cemented in the side??

I guess it will be between him and Rooney, Cahill is an outside bet but he don't strike me as a leader or big enough personality and figure to do so.

Has to be Hart for me there is nobody else.

Well done Steven, hell of an innings that.

For new captain it will be between Hart, Cahill and Rooney like Ray said.

The Rooney vs Cahill battle is very similar to the Beckham vs Campbell battle. Cahill would be better but it will probably end up being Rooney.

I wouldn't mind Hart or Cahill being captain, I'd edge for Cahill.

You don't have to be a character or have huge personality, you have to lead on the pitch and that is what Cahill does game in and game out.

With his years from Bolton and Chelsea, now learning under JT & he will be the no.1 CB for Chelsea & England for years to come. He is of the ilk of JT and always steps up, is brave and I think would suit the bill.

Like I said though, him or Hart yes. Rooney no.

Apparently Gerrard wanted to hand the armband over to Rooney, but accidentally gave it to Thierry Henry.

When he realised his mistake he panicked and tried to send a resignation letter to the FA but kept trying to fling it through the mail slot from 30 yards and missing. By all accounts he was shaking and crying.

Kudos to Gerrard for giving it up at the right time. No dragging it on to be the most capped outfield player like Beckham, many years after he was passed it.

He's had a great stint from being an exciting youngster to a vital first team member to a captain and leader. One of the few to get anywhere near his club form for the national side.

I'd hate it if Rooney got a guaranteed spot due to the captaincy, but I can see it happening. The only players who should be guaranteed starters for the time being are Hart and Cahill and I think the latter should get it. I'm not a big fan of goalkeepers captaining sides. Not that Hart would be a bad choice.

Quality player for England. I think now was the right time to allow the next generation be ready for 2016.

Be interesting to see if we can cope without that World class experience in the middle of the field with him and Lamps out. Barkley is the likely replacement but hopefully if Wilshere can stay fit he can force his way back in.

As for the new captain its hard to say. Harts good but im not a fan of the keeper being captain. There isnt any real leaders in this current team. It will most likely go to Rooney. Hes been poor at tournaments but he does come up with the goals in qualifying and it might make him play with the passion he showed back in 2004.

I have never understood why the FA appoint managers on a time basis rather than a number of tournaments. Hodgson has had a shot at 2 competitions now,,, a mediocre 2012 Euros and presiding over England's worst performance in the history of the WC.

The fact that we finished bottom of the group with just a single point but the FA still believe he is the right man speaks volumes about their ambitions. I just wish my employers were that forgiving ha-ha!!

I have already been accused on this thread of believing that England has a divine right to win every competition but that isn't so. I just think that when you look at the players we have available it should be possible to achieve a lot more given the right manager.

Roy is a nice guy, gracious in defeat & humble in victory and he looks nice in his FA suit. But that won't ever win anything.

Well done to Stevie on calling time on his international duties, a great player knows when it's time to call it a day.

I have no doubt Rooney will and should get the arm band, a true leader on and off the pitch who has developed into a great representative for England.

Don't think Hart should get it due to his antics in the last WC when he swore at the ball boy to hurry up and give him the ball, not the signs of a skipper.

Not only that, I just think Hart is any kind of a leader, doesn't have the qualitys to get a team up and running when the chips are down.

Cahill could be in for a shout, a quality CB who still has much to offer at international level and a proven player.

In saying that Rooney would be the most suited candidate IMO.

Well done to Stevie on calling time on his international duties' date=' a great player knows when it's time to call it a day.

I have no doubt Rooney will and should get the arm band, a true leader on and off the pitch who has developed into a great representative for England.

Don't think Hart should get it due to his antics in the last WC when he swore at the ball boy to hurry up and give him the ball, not the signs of a skipper.

Not only that, I just think Hart is any kind of a leader, doesn't have the qualitys to get a team up and running when the chips are down.

Cahill could be in for a shout, a quality CB who still has much to offer at international level and a proven player.

In saying that Rooney would be the most suited candidate IMO.[/i']

why should rooney get it?

a captain should 1) be on the pitch. obviously. at the next WC rooney shouldn't even start, he was rubbish last tournament, this tournament not much better so why would he better later on ?

i don't think he should be in the starting line up now let alone as he gets older and the other options get more experience to their peak ages and im sure a lot agree with me on that.

2) hart actually caring about his country, desperately wanting to win is fine by me.

swearing at a ball boy isn't that bad when you need the ball back to get some points.

btw rooney has done far, far worse things in the public eye on and off the pitch than hart so don't see your point there.

anyway be interesting to see if anybody else agrees with me or takes your side on this one :)

edit: not saying hart should definitely get captaincy but more rooney doesn't deserve it.

I have never understood why the FA appoint managers on a time basis rather than a number of tournaments. Hodgson has had a shot at 2 competitions now' date=',, a mediocre 2012 Euros and presiding over England's worst performance in the history of the WC.

The fact that we finished bottom of the group with just a single point but the FA still believe he is the right man speaks volumes about their ambitions. I just wish my employers were that forgiving ha-ha!!

I have already been accused on this thread of believing that England has a divine right to win every competition but that isn't so. I just think that when you look at the players we have available it should be possible to achieve a lot more given the right manager.

Roy is a nice guy, gracious in defeat & humble in victory and he looks nice in his FA suit. But that won't ever win anything.[/quote']

Most get 4 years with two competitions. 2012 he took over just before the tournament so unfair to judge him on that. Im happy hes staying, even though it was a bad wc it was actually exciting watching them for once.

Most get 4 years with two competitions. 2012 he took over just before the tournament so unfair to judge him on that. Im happy hes staying' date=' even though it was a bad wc it was actually exciting watching them for once.[/quote']

It was against Italy but we were dreadful against the other two.

It was against Italy but we were dreadful against the other two.

Uruguay wasnt too bad. Still more exciting than last few tournies :) excited about 2016 with all the youngsters which roy brought in so deserves to get a real shot at a competition as we all knew the squad wasnt ready to challenge

Most get 4 years with two competitions. 2012 he took over just before the tournament so unfair to judge him on that. Im happy hes staying' date=' even though it was a bad wc it was actually exciting watching them for once.[/quote']

Why exactly are you happy he's staying? There's a fantastic group of young players coming through, and Roy Hodgson is the last person I'd want those players to be coached by (even if it is only on international duty).

It's sort of admirable that England wanted to hire the best English coach for the job but at the same time they admitted that their goal isn't to be the best. If England want to win things, they need to make sure they've got the best possible manager for the job and not just the best domestic coach.

Hart should be the captain imo. Not sure why some people have an aversion to goalkeepers being captains.

Well done to Stevie on calling time on his international duties' date=' a great player knows when it's time to call it a day.

In saying that Rooney would be the most suited candidate IMO.[/i']

I disagree, Rooney shows up in qualifiers but disappears at tournaments. While he will be one of the main candidates I don't even think he should be a guaranteed starter.

Hart and his antics don''t really count - its just passion - lets be fair other players have done more dodgy things in their careers but still managed to be captains (Ferdiand, Terry, Beckham, Rooney etc) - if it isn't the sign of a skipper have you wiped the memory of Roy Keane being Utd captain? or was that before your time? :P

Anyway, everyone is welcome to their opinion - and in mine I don't think the right call would be Rooney. Hart or Cahill for me.

Why exactly are you happy he's staying? There's a fantastic group of young players coming through' date=' and Roy Hodgson is the last person I'd want those players to be coached by (even if it is only on international duty).

It's sort of admirable that England wanted to hire the best English coach for the job but at the same time they admitted that their goal isn't to be the best. If England want to win things, they need to make sure they've got the best possible manager for the job and not just the best domestic coach.

Hart should be the captain imo. Not sure why some people have an aversion to goalkeepers being captains.[/quote']

Hart has a good shot being captain - some of the greatest captains in history were keepers.

I agree re best domestic coach vs best coach available but this is the FA we are talking about haha.

But people will be content with Hodgson being captain because he isnt all about now - with the likes of Shaw, Henderson, Barkley, OX - he could be building something but it takes time, and he looks to be given that. If you look at the potential line-up for France it could be quite interesting:

Hart

Flanagan-Stones-Cahill-Shaw

Henderson-Somebody

Walcott-Oxlade-Barkley

Sturridge

The somebody could be Wilshere, Chalobah, Barkley with Lallana further on, Ward-Prowse etc. Wilshere more likely if he finds a cure for his brittle bone condition and develops into a consistent player.

Other players would be Butland, Smalling, Jones, Wickham, Jay Rodriguez.

Older players Rooney, Baines, Jagielka etc.

Not saying it will be like this but its a possibility.

Sterling will start for England.

He may' date='

[center']Henderson-Barkley

Walcott-Oxlade-Sterling[/center]

Bit too attacking but there could be any number of combinations.

DM is a very worrying situation. I've said it for a while but Phil Jones could be adapted to the role, Van Gaal would be a big influence on him as he loves versatile players.

He may' date='

[center']Henderson-Barkley

Walcott-Oxlade-Sterling[/center]

Bit too attacking but there could be any number of combinations.

DM is a very worrying situation. I've said it for a while but Phil Jones could be adapted to the role, Van Gaal would be a big influence on him as he loves versatile players.

He's easily our biggest attacking talent IMO. He was brilliant last season, 9 goals from a 19 year old winger is a really good return. I personally see oxlade taking Walcotts place on the right with Barkley playing his natural number 10 position. We do desperately need a quality DM though. Nobody really sticks out as being a future top DM for England which is slightly worrying.