Sign in to follow this  
Seftinho

Official England Thread

Not very convincing to be honest.  Russia lacked any real punch up front but full credit to them for being rewarded for fighting on to the bitter end.

Couldn't really see England scoring other than from a set-piece or penalty but well taken from Dier when the opportunity finally came.

Great save from Akinfeev from Rooney's shot.  Gordon Banks would have been proud of that one...

Cahill in poor form for Chelsea all season and proving that he is at least consistent.

Thought Sterling put in a sterling performance though...

Never mind, it's only the first game.  Let's give Roy a fair chance,, it's only his third tournament after all :) 

Not very convincing to be honest.  Russia lacked any real punch up front but full credit to them for being rewarded for fighting on to the bitter end.

Couldn't really see England scoring other than from a set-piece or penalty but well taken from Dier when the opportunity finally came.

Great save from Akinfeev from Rooney's shot.  Gordon Banks would have been proud of that one...

Cahill in poor form for Chelsea all season and proving that he is at least consistent.

Thought Sterling put in a sterling performance though...

Never mind, it's only the first game.  Let's give Roy a fair chance,, it's only his third tournament after all :)

Yeah it looked like they could have played all night and not scored from open play despite all the creation , thought Sterling put in a shift but was rather poor overall. Two things that will stick out in this tournament for me looking at England is why is Kane still or at all taking corners and why pick Rashford if he's likely never going to play him.

England 1st game Euro jinx carries on and cost me £24

Sterling was awful

Rooney was great controlling the game but never understand why he got taken off - Gave Russia more of a chance

I think Roy taking advice from LVG on dead balls - Kane should be in the box on corners, let Rooney take

England 1st game Euro jinx carries on and cost me £24

Sterling was awful

Rooney was great controlling the game but never understand why he got taken off - Gave Russia more of a chance

I think Roy taking advice from LVG on dead balls - Kane should be in the box on corners, let Rooney take

I thought Sterling looked pretty sharp in the first half.  Agree he drifted off in the second..

Rooney did play well & I also couldn't understand why he was taken off,,, maybe he was tired or was it just Hodgson tinkering with things that didn't need fixing?

Someone needs to remind Cahill that you swap shirts after the game,, not during it.  The way he kept trying to undress Dzyuba was verging on embarrassing and we haven't played a decent side yet.

Easy to say now but why we never took off Sterling for Vardy as soon as we scored I don't know.  With all the possession we had all we needed to do was keep the ball in their half for 10 minutes.

And when Roy did take off Sterling it was for Milner!!!!!  What the hell was that all about??  Does Roy apply any logic with his substitutions or do you think he just plays "Eany, Meany, Mino, Mo.... your on"??

Overall it wasn't a bad performance from England.  Just a shame that the weakest part of our team is the duffer in charge.

Sterling played ok overall considering he hasn't had a huge amount of game time leading upto the tournament, his end product was absolutely dire though. I think bringing on Vardy or Sturridge for him would have been the correct call. I can see why he brought Milner on, someone more defensively minded to try and protect the lead, but it would have been better to go for the second and be more offensive.

There is not a chance the Russian backline could have lived with either Vardy or Sturridge, Sterling was ripping them to bits as it was albeit with no end product.

Rooney played well in the center however it was against a Russian team with a second choice midfield pairing, I'm sure he would be able to play as well against stronger opponents but i'll reserve judgment for now before calling him the "lynch pin" of the team.

I thought one of the best players on the pitch that seems to have been over looked slightly was Rose, his defensive and offensive contributions were excellent. Walker also played well and I think if they both keep up that level they can give us a huge advantage in progressing further in the tournament. Them constantly getting on the front foot can help keep opponents own wingers on the back foot and limit attacks against us down the wings.

Tactically Roy made the right decision, use wingers - he just didn't select the right personal.

I thought Sterling was bad and Kane was poor - other than that all the other players played ok, Dier and Rooney the best two.

Hard to know who to blame for the goal, Smalling or Rose but it would be harsh to blame Rose as he had -2 feet on the Russian player. Hart for allowing a looping header in?

Kane on corners is bemusing, but so far he has the highest success rate of any corner takers at the Euros (lol).

I'd like to know about the Vardy situation, anything to do with his wife getting caught up in the off field problems?

Lots of positives, a handful of negatives.

Onwards & upwards!

Tactically Roy made the right decision, use wingers - he just didn't select the right personal.

I thought Sterling was bad and Kane was poor - other than that all the other players played ok, Dier and Rooney the best two.

Hard to know who to blame for the goal, Smalling or Rose but it would be harsh to blame Rose as he had -2 feet on the Russian player. Hart for allowing a looping header in?

Kane on corners is bemusing, but so far he has the highest success rate of any corner takers at the Euros (lol).

I'd like to know about the Vardy situation, anything to do with his wife getting caught up in the off field problems?

Lots of positives, a handful of negatives.

Onwards & upwards!

I can't see how Roy made the right decision using wingers, He only selected ONE out & out winger for the squad in the first place. As always, England not playing to their strengths. It'll continue to be your downfall.

I'm looking forward to the crunch game on Thursday. My head is telling me that you will stick three or four past us but my heart tells me we can win by the odd goal. All depends on how you go about breaking us down and how you deal with Bale.

Best of luck :D

I'm not a big fan of Henderson I think he's average but he's getting slated last night and I don't understand why it's falling on him and Wilshere is escaping the criticism because Wilshere was absolutely horrendous yesterday.

England hasn't got the team of like Euro 04

No 1 could put the ball in the box or dictate the flow except Rooney

Henderson had a chance to play the ball forward in the dying secs, he plays it to the CB

Wilshere is awful all together, Idk what his role is, He played 114 minutes for Arsenal

On twitter people are taking it out on Wilshere - Wilshere is as useful as a pair of sunglasses on a bloke with 1 ear

I think it is harsh to blame anything on Henderson or Wilshere.  If anyone deserves any blame it is Hodgson for selecting them both in the first place and for his bizarre decision to rest half of the first team.  I mean rest from what I ask..... from having to play 3 games in 10 days ha-ha!!!

If we had won both our first games and were sure of winning the group then fine, no point in risking injury or suspensions for no reason. But we needed to win that group and the best thing that Roy could come up with was to leave our best players on the bench.

It could be a colossal mistake from Roy as it leaves us at the tougher end of the knockout stage.  Considering that we couldn't inflict defeat on possibly the worst two teams in the tournament then I have no idea how he thinks we are going to score goals against Italy or Germany.

Podgson says that England don't fear any opponent.  Unfortunately I don't think that any opponent will fear us either.