Official England Thread

Seftinho

Re: England Squad Announced

I am glad to see Wilshere, Cahill, Gibbs and Young being given the chance to impress. The only way they will become established internationals is by being in England squads even if they aren't regular starters. I think just going away with the national side will help in a way because they will be used to it for competitions in the future.

Micah Richards has no positional sense and a pea sized brain (and that's being generous). If anyone even thinks he should be in the England squad then you should get yourself checked asap. Brown without being a world beater got better and better the season we won the CL but has struggled with injuries since. He is gazillion times better than Richards ever will be.

I am disgusted as to why Huddlestone was ignored and Barry was picked:rolleyes:

Robinson is very dodgy so good riddance. Hopefully Green gets recalled

Micah Richards has no positional sense and a pea sized brain (and that's being generous). If anyone even thinks he should be in the England squad then you should get yourself checked asap. Brown without being a world beater got better and better the season we won the CL but has struggled with injuries since. He is gazillion times better than Richards ever will be.

huddlestone is awfull thanks to capello he knows that :)

Based on what?

He was England's best 'keeper, before a blunder of an own-goal, which he wasn't even at fault at, completely blew his confidence. That was three years ago. Since then he's come back into the form that got him to #1 and is far, far more assured in goal than Foster or Green. A real shame that he's decided to retire, a strange decision though and has made himself look a bit of a tit by doing it after being called up.

Based on what?

He was England's best 'keeper' date=' before a blunder of an own-goal, which he wasn't even at fault at, completely blew his confidence. That was three years ago. Since then he's come back into the form that got him to #1 and is far, far more assured in goal than Foster or Green. A real shame that he's decided to retire, a strange decision though and has made himself look a bit of a tit by doing it after being called up.[/quote']

Seemingly based on one kick on a horrible pitch.

Over the last season or so at Blackburn he was superb, Blackburn didn't get much gametime on MOTD usually so Hercule might have switched over after watching United. He's definatly deserved that call-up so hopefully they'll give him a run out and hopefully he'll impress.

Based on what?

He was England's best 'keeper' date=' before a blunder of an own-goal, which he wasn't even at fault at, completely blew his confidence. That was three years ago. Since then he's come back into the form that got him to #1 and is far, far more assured in goal than Foster or Green. A real shame that he's decided to retire, a strange decision though and has made himself look a bit of a tit by doing it after being called up.[/quote']

He is where near assured enough and gets beaten wayyyyy to often from long range suggesting poor positioning. He was fantastic before all those mistakes for Spurs and hasn't been the same since. Foster was Watford's player of the season twice I believe and was fantastic when Watford were in the premier league. Not sure why he has been called up either as he has had a rough time of it at United.

And Gunners you're a twit. You think ozil is better than Fabregas, Marchetti is as good as Fabianski, Almunia is better than Marchetti and now Huddlestone being awful.

For me (potential): Gibbs > Bertrand > Naughton > Mattock

In terms of actual quality today and for the friendly: Baines/Warnock > Mattock > Bertrand > Naughton > Gibbs

you also think bertrand is better than naughton. We was talking about who should be picked for lb positions' date=' so if we merge our views, we come to a conclusion than bertrand is a better prospect at lb:D[/quote']

Yes but i'm not just disregarding Kyle Naughton all together.

Stephen Warnock deserved that call-up, Baines might get you a goal but in terms of defensive ability it's Warnock every time.

How true is it that the Spurs trio were left out by Redknapp's request? If its just speculation.. then i feel to leave players like that out would have been a bit ridiculous.. because i dont see why Harry would just let Dawson go? :confused:

Dawson can't afford to miss an England opportunity and probably told Harry he wanted to play for England. Crouch, Defoe & Lennon can afford to and if it's in the best interests in there manager then that's what they were happy to do i suppose.

I think there's definatly truth in this.

Personally I think Kirkland should be in there in place of Robinson. Although Green shouldn't have been dropped just for that one error, not fair a goalie is punished for a single mistake. We should have shown him some faith and confidence by sticking with him and allowing him to move on and recover from the shame of that error. Apart from that, he hasn't done a lot wrong for England and has shown himself to be a very good goalkeeper, it's not like he isn't good enough.

As for the Spurs bit, Redknapp may be happy to let Dawson go as he didn't play in the World Cup and he really wants him to get a chance for England.

Based on what?

Agreed. Great 'Keeper.

Would liked to off seen Rodwell in there. Wilshere will, hopefully, take his chance (if he gets one) and grab it with both hands.

Judging on last night Richards appears to have his pace back. At RB this means he can get away with poor positioning because of his brute strength and speed. At CB there are much better options. Besides' date=' Brown may be slightly more composed but this was meant to be an England squad that opened doors to untested and new players. Brown's going to be 32 come the Euros and 34 at the next World Cup. Might as well bed a new guy in.

Me too actually. At least surprised Hudd isn't in the squad as Barry appears to be the only more defensive midfielder.

I agree and disagree. Both of them and Hart would be my preferred selection with Joe starting.

Tbh, I think Capello has largely ignored players from clubs who kicked up a fuss about this friendly. The people who came out against this friendly were Harry Redknapp, Frank Lampard and I think Roy Hodgson said before the return leg against Rabotnicki.

Considering there was quite a few Tottenham representatives in the World Cup squad, (5 in the 23, and 6 if you include Huddlestone in the pre-lim) there's now only Dawson, which will still anger Redknapp as it's left him with two crocked defenders and Bassong.

Lampard has been called up, as was expected, but he may only play a short spell in the game, and Capello may want to experiment with Gerrard hanging back after his assistant watched the Liverpool-Rabotnicki game.

Speaking of Gerrard, him and Glen Johnson are Liverpool's only representatives, Carragher and Cole (then of Chelsea) were in the World Cup squad.

I'll be interested to see how many of these players on few caps get a run-out, someone with few caps will start as the only senior centre-back in the squad is JT. The only surprise addition in midfield is Wilshere, Ashley Young was in and around the World Cup squad during qualifying, but Adam Johnson shot ahead of him in the warm-up games. Up front, someone on few caps will be partnering Rooney, I'm gutted that Bent made the squad, how many times does he need to prove that he is rubbish at international level? Carlton Cole went off injured in his last England game, so he'll hope to impress, and Zamora I think should start.

My two cents.

Based on what?

He was England's best 'keeper' date=' before a blunder of an own-goal, which he wasn't even at fault at, completely blew his confidence. That was three years ago. Since then he's come back into the form that got him to #1 and is far, far more assured in goal than Foster or Green. A real shame that he's decided to retire,[b'] a strange decision though and has made himself look a bit of a tit by doing it after being called up[/b].

i think he's done that as a sort of slap face gesture, he had a great season and shouldve atleast been called up for the friendlies, IMO Hart should now be no1 and Robinson no 2(cant tho now).

Tbh' date=' I think Capello has largely ignored players from clubs who kicked up a fuss about this friendly. The people who came out against this friendly were Harry Redknapp, Frank Lampard and I think Roy Hodgson said before the return leg against Rabotnicki.

Considering there was quite a few Tottenham representatives in the World Cup squad, (5 in the 23, and 6 if you include Huddlestone in the pre-lim) there's now only Dawson, which will still anger Redknapp as it's left him with two crocked defenders and Bassong.

Lampard has been called up, as was expected, but he may only play a short spell in the game, and Capello may want to experiment with Gerrard hanging back after his assistant watched the Liverpool-Rabotnicki game.

Speaking of Gerrard, him and Glen Johnson are Liverpool's only representatives, Carragher and Cole (then of Chelsea) were in the World Cup squad.

I'll be interested to see how many of these players on few caps get a run-out, someone with few caps will start as the only senior centre-back in the squad is JT. The only surprise addition in midfield is Wilshere, Ashley Young was in and around the World Cup squad during qualifying, but Adam Johnson shot ahead of him in the warm-up games. Up front, someone on few caps will be partnering Rooney, I'm gutted that Bent made the squad, how many times does he need to prove that he is rubbish at international level? Carlton Cole went off injured in his last England game, so he'll hope to impress, and [b']Zamora I think should start.[/b]My two cents.

yup agree, he's got everthing Heskey had, and can also score goals:rolleyes:

2 pap strikers (at international level), 1 who a year ago was supposedly one of the worst strikers in the league but now everyone thinks is world class, and an unfit Rooney.

Just as well this is a pointless friendly :)

Disappointing to see Cole, Gerrard, Lampard and possibly Barry, Terry in the squad

Brown and Robinson have retired,no great losses but the way they have done it has certainly stuck the knife in for Capello:p,I won't be watching the friendly as when it comes down to it he will pick the same side again,still it's nice to see some of the old guard in James,Brown and Heskey been swept aside by default.

Brown and Robinson have retired' date='no great losses but the way they have done it has certainly stuck the knife in for Capello:p,I won't be watching the friendly as when it comes down to it he will pick the same side again,still it's nice to see some of the old guard in James,Brown and Heskey been swept aside by default.[/quote']

But, I think the loss of Brown (as much as it pains me to say it) will be a big loss. As without Brown, (assuming Gary Neville and Phil Neville retire due to age) the back-up to Glen Johnson is Micah Richards, who's club future is up in the air. After him, probably the next right back is either Tony Hibbert (uncapped) or Kyle Naughton or Kyle Walker, then we are really clutching at straws.

Without Robinson, we have James (hasnt retired) Green (needs to man up and put the World Cup behind him) Foster, Hart, and for the future, Loach and Fielding. Up front, the list of players to replace Heskey is endless, so I won't bore you with it.

Without Brown, someone younger is going to have to step up to the plate sooner than expected.

Disappointing to see Cole' date=' Gerrard, Lampard and possibly Barry, Terry in the squad[/quote']

Lampard aside, why? Cole and Barry were the best of a bad lot during the World Cup. Cole is a very good player who is considerably better then any other LB in England, he's got a lot to offer. Barry has had a very good impact on England since Capello took charge. Also, Gerrard is a great player, one of if not our best, why would we want to drop him? Not too many players in world football better than him in that position. The same applies to Terry. Great player, has a big prescence in the dressing room and is a fantastic defender. (Although, whether he still will be for Euro 2012 is another matter)

As for Brown, why couldn't he have announced his retirement before? This just makes things more difficult for Capello as he as to look for a replacement. Maybe he's doing it now to make himself look better, as he was in the England squad when he retired, rather than retiring when he's nowhere near the squad.

As for alternatives to Brown for the friendly, Richards must surely be worth consideration?

But' date=' I think the loss of Brown (as much as it pains me to say it) will be a big loss. As without Brown, (assuming Gary Neville and Phil Neville retire due to age) the back-up to Glen Johnson is Micah Richards, who's club future is up in the air. After him, probably the next right back is either Tony Hibbert (uncapped) or Kyle Naughton or Kyle Walker, then we are really clutching at straws.

Without Robinson, we have James (hasnt retired) Green (needs to man up and put the World Cup behind him) Foster, Hart, and for the future, Loach and Fielding. Up front, the list of players to replace Heskey is endless, so I won't bore you with it.

Without Brown, someone younger is going to have to step up to the plate sooner than expected.[/quote']

Fine that's exactly what I want as we need to give the youngsters 4 years to give us a chance in the next World Cup,I'd rather us field a younger side and us fail to get to the Euros but yet by the time the World Cup comes around were prepared,I don't get why if any of the players at the previous players at the World Cup retired it's a loss as they have proved over 6 years that they aren't good enough,for sure were light at right back and Naughton and Walker aren't ready yet but in a year or so when they are it means they have a clean run in instead of getting past a 31 year old who will only ever be backup,as for goalkeeper I don't think James or Green will ever be picked again and Hart will be number 1 and rightly so,Foster will be backup and then we have players like Harper and Kirkland who can do a job if required,I don't mind if our backup for Goalkeepers are old just as long as Joe Hart is number one as his the best keeper and his quite young as well.

I don't think it's worth replacing Brown and Robison. In one way, Robinson's departure from the squad is good as it means that Both Hart and Foster can play 45 minutes, rather than having three play 30 minutes (which is a little awkward) or having one miss out on any game time. Also, it is an extremely poorly timed friendly so it isn't worth disrupting a player by telling him he's got to call for England duty.

Paul Robinson and Wes Brown probably won't be missed this time as they are only back up but the whole thing makes the FA look like idiots. Capello is no longer considered unsackable after the World Cup and this the last thing he needs. Regarding the right back position: it does leave England a little short with seemingly only Johnson and Richards in the frame. There are few players like Naughton and Walker long term prospects for that position. I wouldn't object to Phil Neville coming in and filling the gap short term but I don't think it would go down well in the media.