Official England Thread

Seftinho

Re: Official England Thread

Just because he is young it doesn't mean he's not worthy of going. Look what Germany have done with their youth.

They tended to play at club level first. :o

Its nothing like Germany, just randomly plucking a youngster who could do well and chucking him in the national squad.

They overhauled their whole grass roots level, coaching philosophy and the set-up of their international youth teams and the way they integrate them into the senior side. Taking Oxlade would have no resemblance to germany:confused:

He can dribble' date=' he has pace, he runs at defenders, he can shoot with both feet from range and he's a far more intelligent player with regards to descision making then Walcott so why not take him?

Just because he is young it doesn't mean he's not worthy of going. Look what Germany have done with their youth.

[b']And the difference between Oxlade and Sterling btw is Oxlade is a good player with potential to do well.[/b]

The guy hasn't played, he isn't proven, a few cameo's don't warrant a call up to the Euro's.

Don't bring Germany into it the youths they had are starters for there clubs. Walcott still plays over Oxlade, taking him to the Euro's just adds to the hype that he's currently getting, theres better wingers than him we can take who won't be crushed under the hype.

If you want Oxlade to be the next Walcott then by all means take him :rolleyes:

That last bits hilarious as well, have you ever seen Sterling play? The guy has the potential to be one of Englands best ever players.

My 23 man squad:

Goalkeepers: Hart' date=' Foster, Ruddy.

Defenders: Cole, Baines, Terry, Cahill, Lescott, [b']Smalling[/b], Richards, Walker.

Midfielders: Young, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lampard, Barry, Rodwell, Walcott, Milner.

Strikers: Rooney, Welbeck, Holt, Sturridge, Hooper.

Smalling is also injured so he wont be going..

Goalkeepers: Hart, Green, Ruddy.. Forster a good shout to be one of the 3, wont happen though

Defenders: Cole, Baines, Walker, Terry, Cahill, Lescott, Richards.. Glen Johnson, Rio, Jones, Jagielka will all miss out imo

Midfeilders: Lampard, Gerrard, Barry, Milner, Carrick, Young, Lennon, A.Johnson, .. Downing, Ox will both miss out

Strikers: Rooney, Welbeck, Carroll, Bent, Crouch.. Defoe replacing Bent if hes not fit, Sturridge will miss out

Would be my team to take.. couple of those lads who miss out will be off the the olympics anyway in my eyes so

They tended to play at club level first. :o

Its nothing like Germany' date=' just randomly plucking a youngster who could do well and chucking him in the national squad.

They overhauled their whole grass roots level, coaching philosophy and the set-up of their international youth teams and the way they integrate them into the senior side. Taking Oxlade would have no resemblance to germany:confused:[/quote']

The guy hasn't played' date=' he isn't proven, a few cameo's don't warrant a call up to the Euro's.

Don't bring Germany into it the youths they had are starters for there clubs. Walcott still plays over Oxlade, taking him to the Euro's just adds to the hype that he's currently getting, theres better wingers than him we can take who won't be crushed under the hype.

If you want Oxlade to be the next Walcott then by all means take him :rolleyes:

That last bits hilarious as well, have you ever seen Sterling play? The guy has the potential to be one of Englands best ever players.[/quote']

Oxlade has played in the CL and premier league he's got a lot of experience from that at a very young age and this would be a great chance for him to really grow. I'd even stick my neck out and say he's better then Walcott was at this age and he's not the same player as him. Walcott relies purely on pace and once he got to a position where he could do something with the ball he was hesitant. Oxlade is a much better descision maker and his performance as a CM for Arsenal in the CL has shown he isn't at all like Walcott. He has a creative aspect of his game and he's also a hard worker. He'll chase down and get forward too something that I find commendable. I have seen Sterling play and I don't think he'll be one of England's best ever players. Talk about overhyping:rolleyes:

I just think it's worth the risk. Take Walcott, Young, Oxlade and 1 other probably Milner for his versatility.

Oxlade has played in the CL and premier league he's got a lot of experience from that at a very young age and this would be a great chance for him to really grow. I'd even stick my neck out and say he's better then Walcott was at this age and he's not the same player as him. Walcott relies purely on pace and once he got to a position where he could do something with the ball he was hesitant. Oxlade is a much better descision maker and his performance as a CM for Arsenal in the CL has shown he isn't at all like Walcott. He has a creative aspect of his game and he's also a hard worker. He'll chase down and get forward too something that I find commendable. I have seen Sterling play and I don't think he'll be one of England's best ever players. Talk about overhyping:rolleyes:

I just think it's worth the risk. Take Walcott' date=' Young, Oxlade and 1 other probably Milner for his versatility.[/quote']

He has experience for a person with young age ... yes, doesnt really mean its enough. Plus my point was really aimed at you saying it like Germany. When infact it isnt, at all.

He has experience for a person with young age ... yes' date=' doesnt really mean its enough. Plus my point was really aimed at you saying it like Germany. When infact it isnt, at all.[/quote']

Any 18 year old that can produce top displays in the CL against a side like Milan seems good enough to me.

It is similar in that Germany gave their youths a chance. Ozil, Muller and Khedeira were all given a chance when they were relatively inexperienced and look how they turned out.

For too long we've looked to the same old players for inspiration and where has that got us?

I would much rather give him a chance to prove he's got talent then take someone like Lennon or Downing who aren't going to get any better and aren't top quality.

I'm not saying he should go as a starter but as a 3rd/4th choice winger I don't see how he couldnt come on for the last 20 mins of a game and give us something different running at tired legs.

I just think he is worth the risk whereas Walcott all those years ago really wasn't worth it.

I'll throw my opinion into the mix:

GK: Hart, Ruddy, Carson/Butland

DEF: Cole, Baines, G. Johnson, Walker, Terry, Cahill, Jagielka, Ferdinand/ Richards

MID: Walcott, Lennon, A. Johnson/Young, Downing, Lampard, Gerrard, Carrick, Parker/Barry

FWD: Rooney, Carroll, Welbeck, Bent/Sturridge

Choose Butland as it's very unlikely that a third choice keeper will need to play, so it should give him tournament experience, like what Sven did with Walcott.

Originally Ferdinand would have been in my squad (and Richards in for Jagielka), but he's not inspired me with confidence this season and with the Terry/Ferdinand controversy, I would take Terry if it's one or the other. England have a shortage of fit CBs and I wouldnt take Jones as he's not defensive enough.

Choosing Downing will probably cause a mass furore. My reasoning is Walcott and Lennon are almost carbon copies of each other (Lennon maybe provides the better final ball) but what if pace isnt working in a match? Downing and Johnson/Young would provide an alternative which may work in international football. Young and Johnson would provide goalscoring width. AOC misses out as for me he's too similar to Walcott and Lennon.

Carroll has hit good form just at the wrong time for Liverpool fans, but I think he would suit England's style when Rooney isnt playing. England have a few warm-up games and I'd like to see Carroll and Welbeck/Sturridge together. As it looks like Bent wont play against Norwich today, I dont think he should go, as rushing slightly injured players into tournaments has backfired spectacularly in the past, and tbh Welbeck certainly has done better than Bent this season.

My two cents

Any 18 year old that can produce top displays in the CL against a side like Milan seems good enough to me.

It is similar in that Germany gave their youths a chance. Ozil' date=' Muller and Khedeira were all given a chance when they were relatively inexperienced and look how they turned out.

For too long we've looked to the same old players for inspiration and where has that got us?

I would much rather give him a chance to prove he's got talent then take someone like Lennon or Downing who aren't going to get any better and aren't top quality.

I'm not saying he should go as a starter but as a 3rd/4th choice winger I don't see how he couldnt come on for the last 20 mins of a game and give us something different running at tired legs.

I just think he is worth the risk whereas Walcott all those years ago really wasn't worth it.[/quote']

Muller had played 52 games for Bayern in the season leading upto the 2010 WC, Ozil had been a regular for strong Bundesliga sides for a few years and Khedira had four seasons as a regular for Stuttgart before the WC.

AOC hasn't been a regular for Arsenal in his first season in the PL, can't you see that these comparisons make no sense? He may well turn into a very good footballer and an England international, but at the moment he's massively overhyped and hasn't really done anything to warrant a Euro place. He may still get taken, but it would show how bad his competition is. I'd take Walcott, Young and Johnson comfortably ahead of him, we struggle for decent wingers after that.

Muller had played 52 games for Bayern in the season leading upto the 2010 WC' date=' Ozil had been a regular for strong Bundesliga sides for a few years and Khedira had four seasons as a regular for Stuttgart before the WC.

AOC hasn't been a regular for Arsenal in his first season in the PL, can't you see that these comparisons make no sense? He may well turn into a very good footballer and an England international, but at the moment he's massively overhyped and hasn't really done anything to warrant a Euro place. He may still get taken, but it would show how bad his competition is. I'd take Walcott, Young and Johnson comfortably ahead of him, we struggle for decent wingers after that.[/quote']

Ok so say we take Walcott Young and Johnson surely it's worth a punt to take Oxlade over Lennon and Downing then? Especially when Oxlade can also play CM/AM as seen by his performance against Milan.

I just think it makes sense to take him over some of our average wingers who look to have peaked.

At worst I guess if he is left out he'll be a dead cert for the Olympics.

Ok so say we take Walcott Young and Johnson surely it's worth a punt to take Oxlade over Lennon and Downing then? Especially when Oxlade can also play CM/AM as seen by his performance against Milan.

I just think it makes sense to take him over some of our average wingers who look to have peaked.

At worst I guess if he is left out he'll be a dead cert for the Olympics.

One game and suddenly he can play centre midfield in the Euros?

Lennon hasn't played much and Downing has been rubbish all season, but we've seen in previous seasons that they can have the ability. Maybe it would be better to blood AOC a bit, but it does show the shortness of decent wingers that we have if we're gifting a place to an inexperienced winger rather than someone who has been good enough this season to deserve it.

One game and suddenly he can play centre midfield in the Euros?

Lennon hasn't played much and Downing has been rubbish all season' date=' but we've seen in previous seasons that they can have the ability. Maybe it would be better to blood AOC a bit, but it does show the shortness of decent wingers that we have if we're gifting a place to an inexperienced winger rather than someone who has been good enough this season to deserve it.[/quote']

All I'm saying is it's clear that he's got more to his game then just pace like Walcott and Lennon and so it's worth a punt to take him to the Euro's. I'm not saying he'll play CM in the euro's but what I am saying is he offers more then the likes of Lennon and Downing. Any player that at 18 (and who is primarily a winger) can perform like he did even if it was for one game obviously has something different about him and I would rather us explore that potential then waste a spot on a player like Downing or Lennon who are not good enough or just about pace.

Yes it does show the shortness on top draw wingers by taking a youngster but would you rather look to the future or stick with the rubbish you currently have.

I'm not saying he should start all I'm saying is out of everyone we have as a possible 4th choice he should go because he can improve and become a top player. He might not be the finished product now but at least he can be better then what we currently have. Give him a chance. Downing and Lennon have had chances to impress and they haven't even Walcott has had his chances though I do think he's improved a lot at Arsenal since Oxlade starting putting pressure on places.

Gary Hooper... :o

So he had a very good record in the Championship and has a very good record in the SPL. He's English' date=' so let's take him to the Euros...

AOC should never be chosen either. He's done absolutely nothing to warrant it.[/quote']

Scored all 5 of Celtic's goals today against Hearts B)

That was my point. You can't judge a player on his performances in the SPL' date=' as the standard is so poor.[/quote']

Completely different player's with different attitudes. Standard isn't as bad as most folk south of the border make out, i watch it week in week out.

I'd take Walcott' date=' Young and Johnson comfortably ahead of him, we struggle for decent wingers after that.[/quote']

After that? :P All 3 of them are average as well tbh, I remember for years everybody saying there was nobody to play on the left but at least you knew Beckham was on the other side. Now we simply have nobody that is capable of performing well regularly.

After that? :P All 3 of them are average as well tbh' date=' I remember for years everybody saying there was nobody to play on the left but at least you knew Beckham was on the other side. Now we simply have nobody that is capable of performing well regularly.[/quote']

They're better than average, they're decent wingers. None of them are world class and never will be, but they're all good enough to make an impact on the international stage.

Roy has added Gary Neville to his coaching staff for the Euros. Good appointment IMO; he's looked knowledgeable on Sky.

Roy Hodgson and Gary Neville.....England's dream team.....

Im so depressed I might go back to the Liverpool thread and let some of our fans tell me how signing Gary hooper would be a step forward for Liverpool and a sign of real ambition :o

Roy Hodgson and Gary Neville.....England's dream team.....

Im so depressed I might go back to the Liverpool thread and let some of our fans tell me how signing Gary hooper would be a step forward for Liverpool and a sign of real ambition :o

Haha, Hooper for England? :P

I'm not a fan of Roy but he's a likeable chap and we weren't going to get anywhere anyway in the Euros.

Strangely kinda hope a few of the top players are unfit to blood some others (who are performing better anyway but don't get a shot because the 'top' players are England 'regulars').

It is similar in that Germany gave their youths a chance. Ozil' date=' Muller and Khedeira were all given a chance when they were relatively inexperienced and look how they turned out.

I just think he is worth the risk whereas Walcott all those years ago really wasn't worth it.[/quote']

Are you honestly comparing those players to AOC and his situation.

All were regulars so again, its nothing like germany. My point isnt about AOC, its about you saying it would be doing what Germany did