Official England Thread

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official England Thread just in from the match..... well done England.. Rooney was brilliant from start to finish... the England fans were brilliant and sang all night.. and the venue was spectac

Sterling is god awful.

Re: Official England Thread

Re: England Squad Announced

Are you feeling OK? Sorry' date=' but what a bizarre comment. Bothroyd being in the squad is fine, but Agbonlahor is a "joke"!?

Agbonlahor is 10x the striker of Bothroyd. Come on, it's no contest - a failed PL stiker in form in the NPC vs a decent PL striker?

You're in a very tiny minority if you think Bothroyd is a greater striker than Agbonlahor.[/quote']

On that basis you would think i would prefer Bothroyd to Gabby for Villa.

No' date=' Gabby is far from the finished article or great striker, but id take his right leg over Bothroyd.[/quote']

Ok' date=' so tearing apart Vidic on three or four occasions yesterday isn't good enough to get in the England squad. But some goals against Championship teams are.

Bothroyd wouldn't have got anything over Vidic yesterday. As Seft said, your definatly in is a small minority in thinking that Bothroyd should be over Agbonlahor for a call-up.[/quote']

Christ, can you lot read? When on earth did I say Bothroyd is a better player than Agbonlahor? Try reading the intent before replying. Fools.

Agbonlahor has made three starts this season scoring a grand total of zero goals. Tell me, what has he done to deserve a call-up?

starts this season scoring a grand total of zero goals. Tell me' date=' what has he done to deserve a call-up?[/quote']

Oi ! chillout !

:D

If you perhaps made it clear that you thought it was a "joke" due to his fitness problems i may not of replied, i thought it was a statement on his ability. ;)

Even still id prefer a just coming back to full fitness Gabby over Bothroyd.

Fool :P

EDIT:

His past performances you could argue earnt his call up. By no means am i saying he is a great striker, he isnt, but his past achievements merit more of a call up than Bothroyd

His past performances you could argue earnt his call up. By no means am i saying he is a great striker' date=' he isnt, but his past achievements merit more of a call up than Bothroyd[/quote']

Of course I agree with you there, but then again, Jimmy Greaves' past achievements merit more a call-up than Bothroyd - doesn't mean he deserves a place in the squad.

Everyone bashed Capello after the WC for picking players on status and for their name, yet now he's picking players on fitness and form, he's still getting bashed! My point was that Capello hasn't done that with Agbonlahor (not fit, out of form).

Apologies to all you peasants, it must be difficult to keep up with a superior mind like mine. ;)

Of course I agree with you there' date=' but then again, Jimmy Greaves' past achievements merit more a call-up than Bothroyd - doesn't mean he deserves a place in the squad.

Everyone bashed Capello after the WC for picking players on status and for their name, yet now he's picking players on fitness and form, he's still getting bashed! My point was that Capello hasn't done that with Agbonlahor (not fit, out of form).

Apologies to all you peasants, it must be difficult to keep up with a superior mind like mine. ;)[/quote']

I knew my point about past achievements could be countered by that ! :P

However if you look at it in the right context, Gabby scored 16 goals in all competitions last season and has been a regular at Villa for a fair few seasons now, which is a bigger achievement than scoring 20 goals in the championship.

I agree with you about how it seems unfair on Capello, after all we were all calling for players to be picked on form, but once again, you have to look a little deeper than that, and i thought he would.

-Quality of the player, he is never ever going to be a international standard player, its obvious regardless of form.

-Standard of football, yes he is on form, but its in the second tier of english football, you cannot prove yourself and justify a call up by playing well against second tier footballers.

Your right though, Gabby perhaps shouldnt be picked, although under the circumstances he performed admirably yesterday. However i think Injuries probably forced him into inclusion

Of course I agree with you there' date=' but then again, Jimmy Greaves' past achievements merit more a call-up than Bothroyd - doesn't mean he deserves a place in the squad.

Apologies to all you peasants, it must be difficult to keep up with a superior mind like mine. ;)[/quote']

Well no, he's picking youngsters who rarely ever play for their clubs and then an in-form player from the division below ahead of an in-form striker in the PL.

Makes no sense whatsoever.

If he was picking on form, where's Albrighton, Jarvis, Davies? Huddlestone, Parker?

Well no' date=' he's picking youngsters who rarely ever play for their clubs and then an in-form player from the division below ahead of an in-form striker in the PL.

If he was picking on form, where's Albrighton, Jarvis, Davies? Huddlestone, Parker?[/quote']

You want a world class striker?

GARY HOOPER :D

Well no' date=' he's picking youngsters who rarely ever play for their clubs and then an in-form player from the division below ahead of an in-form striker in the PL.

If he was picking on form, where's Albrighton, Jarvis, Davies? Huddlestone, Parker?[/quote']

Fantastic point, how on earth Albrighton and Jarvis arent in is beyond me, iv gave up of hope of Parker ever being in the final squad.

He said he was going to pick on form, but he doesnt.

Why on earth has Smalling been called up when he NEVER plays? What about Phil Jones?

And don't get me started on Bothroyd. Embarrassing when someone of his quality is deemed good enough for England.

Well if your saying Smalling shouldn't be in the squad because he never plays, what about Gibbs?

Smalling - 5 starts, 1 sub

Gibbs - 4 starts

Lescott has only played 1 more than him as well..

And tbh I don't see the point in adding Phil Jones to the squad as a defender when he's been playing in midfield all season.

People wanted Capello to give youth a chance.. now he's doing it, it's wrong. :rolleyes:

Well if your saying Smalling shouldn't be in the squad because he never plays' date=' what about Gibbs?

Smalling - 5 starts, 1 sub

Gibbs - 4 starts

Lescott has only played 1 more than him as well..

And tbh I don't see the point in adding Phil Jones to the squad as a defender when he's been playing in midfield all season.

People wanted Capello to give youth a chance.. now he's doing it, it's wrong. :rolleyes:[/quote']

We dont have 10 other better options infront of Gibbs do we ? He will most likely be englands next LB, Smalling has loads of competition..... and imo has looked out of depth, least gibbs had some promising performances.

Capello isnt giving youth a chance and no one is slating him for that, were slating him because Smalling isnt a great choice given the likes of Cahill etc and the inclusion of Bothroyd

We dont have 10 other better options infront of Gibbs do we ? He will most likely be englands next LB' date=' Smalling has loads of competition..... and imo has looked out of depth, least gibbs had some promising performances.

Capello isnt giving youth a chance and no one is slating him for that, were slating him because Smalling isnt a great choice given the likes of Cahill etc and the inclusion of Bothroyd[/quote']

No, but Baines is far better than him at the moment, and Warnock slightly.

Smalling has done quite well so far, his passing needs improving but he's been better than most people expected. I would rather have Cahill there, but I can see why Smalling is in the squad and imo there's no reason why he shouldn't be for a pointless friendly. Cahill has been in squads before, so I guess Capello is using this to look at other players.

As for Bothroyd.. he's only there because of the amount of injuries. Lets be honest, whether it's him or Kevin Davies those strikers together are tinpot and will fail to score against France.

The only thing I can conclude having read some of the names coming up on this thread is how fearful I am for England's international standing (already tarnished in many ways I know). It's scary how many unbelievably poor players (in international terms) have been mentioned on the last few pages. I'm afraid quality and depth is desperately lacking if these are the best names we can put forward :(

The only thing I can conclude having read some of the names coming up on this thread is how fearful I am for England's international standing (already tarnished in many ways I know). It's scary how many unbelievably poor players (in international terms) have been mentioned on the last few pages. I'm afraid quality and depth is desperately lacking if these are the best names we can put forward :(

Pretty much sums up my opinion too. France must be laughing :o

Of course, it may be a Capello master-stroke and Bothroyd might actually be good :eek:

He just seems to have one system which he won't change despite that being the main flaw, not the players :rolleyes:

Carroll is playing tomorrow which as an Newcastle fan I'm absolutely gutted about,still I suppose you will guys get to see how good he is on an international stage,his got the ability to be as good as any other Centre Forward we have had in years but whether he will achieve it or not I'm not sure of at all,still I've got no doubt he will play and get injured tomorrow so I just hope he doesn't get injured to be honest.

I've said all season long that he would play before the end of the year so it's nice to see I've been proven right in that sense,still Bothroyd getting called up is a joke,the Championship is such a poor division it's untrue and players such as Jerome,Davies,Welbeck and dare I say it Ameobi:eek: are more worthy of a call up,it was just Dave Jones saying an almost tongue in cheek comment and it's actually got him onto the England team,and onne final thing,how can Smalling get picked ahead of Shawcross?,I think Smalling is a good talent but his done nothing to justify a call up at all and I think it would have been a very good time to put Shawcross into the International setup.

I swear Jags has played RB before in his career? Still' date=' would have would sense to put him in the centre with Lescott. Unless Capello is opting for an unorthodox 3241 formation? :P[/quote']

He had to play one of the CB's at right back. Delighted that Gibbs, Henderson & Carroll have been picked but sorry if he's injured but Jack Wilshere should be playing ahead of Gareth Barry. Barry's overrated and frustrating to watch, adds nothing whatsoever to the England team, unlike Wilshere.

He had to play one of the CB's at right back. Delighted that Gibbs' date=' Henderson & Carroll have been picked but sorry if he's injured but Jack Wilshere should be playing ahead of Gareth Barry. Barry's overrated and frustrating to watch, adds nothing whatsoever to the England team, unlike Wilshere.[/quote']

Wilshere is injured..

Agree with the pre match interviews , would love to see the pace of Walcott through the centre , i know because hes quick and tricky many would have him out on the wing but look at the balls Carrol has been winning in the air that just end up going straight to the keeper because no ones running behind him !