Official England Thread

Seftinho

Re: Official England Thread

Germany are the ones that I think will flatter to deceive. Big expectation following the all-Bundesliga CL final last season and the national side's nervous performance against Italy in the last Euros makes me think that other' date=' lesser sides might do better.[/quote']

Offensive wins games - defensive wins titles.

And when you receive 7 goals in 2 games against a good but not great team like Sweden, I clearly look at the black side of winning anything in Brazil.

Congratulations to England for qualifying directly. Well-deserved after the last two victories. I always thought England would struggle at least once in those 2 games.

Considering England's position in the FIFA World Ranking which will be decisive for the seeding, it's quite clear that England won't be a group leader (like Germany, Argentina, Spain, Brazil or Belgium). So probably no "easy" group this time ;)

Thought Hart was very good. Excellent save from Lewandowski at 1-0 when Poland were pushing and out very quickly to cut out danger throughout the game.

Defence allowed Poland a fair few sights at goal. Certainly not convinced by Smalling at RB and the CB pairing seems too English to be entirely competent. Baines was great.

Gerrard was good going forwards but a bit slack doing the simple stuff. Carrick fairly anonymous but that's probably a good thing as his role isn't flashy. Townsend was fantastic on the right and Welbeck woeful on the left.

Sturridge showed a lot of very good control but I wish he'd shot a bit more often. Rooney was absent in the first half but it looked like he was mostly trying to play off the hapless Welbeck. Very good in the second.

Overall I'm pleased and it hasn't felt like a chore to watch England the past few games. I'd like Barkley to get some minutes in pre-tournament friendlies to see if he can replicate his club form and I want players played in their right positions - no more Welbeck on the wing please.

I must say, I've really enjoyed watching England these last 2 games. I think we've played really well and considering we have players to come back I think we can head to Brazil and not embarrass ourselves like usual. I've never been a massive England fan but I'm really happy at the moment. Lets see how long it continues.

I must say' date=' I've really enjoyed watching England these last 2 games. I think we've played really well and considering we have players to come back I think we can head to Brazil and not embarrass ourselves like usual. I've never been a massive England fan but I'm really happy at the moment. Lets see how long it continues.[/quote']

I think the players coming through have a point to prove, the old guard had too big of an ego to play well, whereas players such as Baines, Townsend, Sturridge, Welbeck, Wilshere, Jagielka, Cahill, Townsend, Smalling, & Jones some have only just started their England careers and some of them will be raring to prove why they should have been picked over the likes of Terry, Lampard, Defoe etc in previous years.

Rooney used to hate playing for England (in my eyes) but he now seems to be lapping up the moment as in previous years, the papers made it out to be the whole nation pinning their hopes on him. Gerrard always plays out of his skin and gives 110% whether it be a charity match or a World Cup final.

I have a dull sense of optimism about next years World Cup, i feel we won't be a match for the big boys but with us falling down the FIFA rankings and not as much pressure for us as a nation to achieve something.

I think the players coming through have a point to prove' date=' the old guard had too big of an ego to play well, whereas players such as Baines, Townsend, Sturridge, Welbeck, Wilshere, Jagielka, Cahill, Townsend, Smalling, & Jones some have only just started their England careers and some of them will be raring to prove why they should have been picked over the likes of Terry, Lampard, Defoe etc in previous years.

Rooney used to hate playing for England (in my eyes) but he now seems to be lapping up the moment as in previous years, the papers made it out to be the whole nation pinning their hopes on him. Gerrard always plays out of his skin and gives 110% whether it be a charity match or a World Cup final.

I have a dull sense of optimism about next years World Cup, i feel we won't be a match for the big boys but with us falling down the FIFA rankings and not as much pressure for us as a nation to achieve something.[/quote']

How have we slipped down the rankings so quickly? Last time I looked we were like 6th so I dont know how thats happened. I dont think we have any chance of winning anything anytime soon but as long as well play as well as we can then I'll be happy. We dont really have the players to compete right now but I feel that we're at least on the right track to one day compete. We just need to intergrate the newer players into the side and then we'll be alright I think.

How have we slipped down the rankings so quickly? Last time I looked we were like 6th so I dont know how thats happened. I dont think we have any chance of winning anything anytime soon but as long as well play as well as we can then I'll be happy. We dont really have the players to compete right now but I feel that we're at least on the right track to one day compete. We just need to intergrate the newer players into the side and then we'll be alright I think.

Hopefully mate, we have a few decent youth players coming through also, Barkley, Morrison, Chamberlain, Caulker, Shaw, Sterling, Zaha, Chalboah, Keane + Powell just off the top of my head.

I was reading further down and someone said we didn't have a bright future? Just look at the names i've reeled off there... our future is looking very promising indeed.

Hopefully mate' date=' we have a few decent youth players coming through also, Barkley, Morrison, Chamberlain, Caulker, Shaw, Sterling, Zaha, Chalboah, Keane + Powell just off the top of my head.

I was reading further down and someone said we didn't have a bright future? Just look at the names i've reeled off there... our future is looking very promising indeed.[/quote']

Some very exciting players coming through, but still a long way behind the top nations.

I never usually watch England as its very boring most of the time, or I watch half a game then do something else. Last 2 games were actually enjoyable to watch and hope it continues. The atmosphere in the Poland game was awesome, and think away fans should get more than the usual 8,000. It seemed to give the players a lift and made it a better spectacle.

I hate seeing the same tripe posted on forums and twitter regarding Englands future footballers "We must stop focusing on the size of the player" "We dont encourage football at a young age".

Incorrect.

We do. This transition started to take place about 5 years ago and has since been reinforced with wide scale changes to the format of academy football matches and training sessions. The development of St.Georges and the promotion of first class coaches and scientific support staff will continue to push us in the right direction.

We have the structure in place now to develop good players and I for one and not concerned with our future at all.

Believe you me, in the U15/16 age bracket England have some phenomenal looking players :)

Back to the present.

So happy with last night. :D

You would be Magic!! You're bleedin' going to Brazil!

haha does help.

England are also based in Rio, and im 100% going to be a stalker for the day and wait outside their complex to get a few signatures. B)

Think the complex backs onto cocobana beach.

Wonder if flights have gone up since qualification.

haha does help.

England are also based in Rio' date=' and im 100% going to be a stalker for the day and wait outside their complex to get a few signatures. B)

Wonder if flights have gone up since qualification.[/quote']

Hotels are charging up to £800/night apparently.

Incidentally, the Polish FA have sacked they manager following last night. That makes him the first Pole to come to the UK to lose their job :P

haha does help.

England are also based in Rio' date=' and im 100% going to be a stalker for the day and wait outside their complex to get a few signatures. B)

Wonder if flights have gone up since qualification.[/quote']

Be careful not to drift into the parts that need to be avoided.

Had quite a few mates who have been there Nd avoid the Favellas etc at all cost, Brazil is about as relaxed with guns as America and Kidnapping is absolutely rife for Westerners in some sections especially if you look like you have a quid.

They tell me the main areas are perfectly safe though.

Make sure you stay safe because I ain't gunna be paying the £4.23 ransom fee they might end up demanding for your safe return. That is a beer and a bag of chips down my way ;):P

Be careful not to drift into the parts that need to be avoided.

Had quite a few mates who have been there Nd avoid the Favellas etc at all cost' date=' Brazil is about as relaxed with guns as America and Kidnapping is absolutely rife for Westerners in some sections especially if you look like you have a quid.

They tell me the main areas are perfectly safe though.

Make sure you stay safe because I ain't gunna be paying the £4.23 ransom fee they might end up demanding for your safe return. That is a beer and a bag of chips down my way ;):P[/quote']

Im aware pal. My friends lives in Rio and his misses is from there so ill know where to and where not to go :)

Plus there is 15 of us going so should be ok, appreciate that you care though :P

Im aware pal. My friends lives in Rio and his misses is from there so ill know where to and where not to go :)

Plus there is 15 of us going so should be ok' date=' appreciate that you care though :P[/quote']

That's ok mate I am a compassionate soul :)

Should be awesome, I am insanely jealous ain't been on a "proper" footballing getaway (like a week's jolly) since the 2001 UEFA Cup final.

The Beaches in Rio apparently are awesome and so are some of the local "attractions" :)

That's ok mate I am a compassionate soul :)

Should be awesome' date=' I am insanely jealous ain't been on a "proper" footballing getaway (like a week's jolly) since the 2001 UEFA Cup final.

The Beaches in Rio apparently are awesome and so are some of the local "attractions" :)[/quote']

Im a man of culture and intend to embrace the many delights that the locals and visitors from further a field have to offer. Woman only. Havent checked if Sweden have qualified but after going to Gotenburg I sincerely hope they have.

Its my first getaway and shant be the last !!

Im a man of culture and intend to embrace the many delights that the locals and visitors from further a field have to offer. Woman only. Havent checked if Sweden have qualified but after going to Gotenburg I sincerely hope they have.

I love the way you have to clarify "women only" :P:p

What did you think us lot think you are gunna be up to!!

I actually laughed out loud when I read that, my Missus is looking at me like I have a screw loose (fair enough really) Thanks for the giggle :)

Them chicks with dicks are awfully convincing though mate.

Obvious signs to watch out for:

1: Large Adams apple

2: Unusually large hands

3: (Hopefully you have sussed by the above 2) but the most blatantly obvious one I am sure you will find out when you are dry humping him/her and you get a prodding in the groin from there erect one eyed wonder weasel.

We have the structure in place now to develop good players and I for one and not concerned with our future at all.

Believe you me' date=' in the U15/16 age bracket England have some phenomenal looking players :)

[/quote']

Patrick Roberts (Fulham) and Charlie Wakefield (Chelsea) are the two that stand out to me, outstanding technical ability.

The newspapers in this country can be a joke at the best of times. Some of them seem to have jumped on the fact that Roy Hodgson said "feed the monkey" in reference to Andros Townsend during the half time team talk during the Poland game. For one, if that's even considered racist then my name is Steven Gerrard, and two, Townsend himself has said the following on the matter:

I don't know what all this fuss is about. No offence was meant and none was taken! It's not even news worthy!

Well done to the English media for making something out of absolutely nothing (yet again). So much for getting behind the team :rolleyes:

If anything, the journalists behind these articles are the ones being racist.

The newspapers in this country can be a joke at the best of times. Some of them seem to have jumped on the fact that Roy Hodgson said "feed the monkey" in reference to Andros Townsend during the half time team talk during the Poland game. For one' date=' if that's even considered racist then my name is Steven Gerrard, and two, Townsend himself has said the following on the matter:

Well done to the English media for making something out of absolutely nothing (yet again). So much for getting behind the team :rolleyes:

If anything, the journalists behind these articles are the ones being racist.[/quote']

Damn straight, Ben. People who claim to be anti-racist are usually the biggest bigots of them all.