First Premier League manager to get sacked?

First Premier League manager to get sacked?  

1. 1.

Well, I don't think many Premier League managers will leave their jobs this season. Most clubs have a manager who they are very happy with and is doing a good job, and believe he can continue taking the club forward. And, with the clubs who could well struggle with their current managers, they seem to have chairmen who are prepared to stick with them and give them a proper chance (e.g Di Matteo at West Brom). And then there are clubs like Liverpool, West Ham and Fulham whose managers haven't even taken a PL game yet.

So, there are not many, if any, real contenders. There may be Chris Hughton of Newcastle, who is the favourite with some bookmakers to be the first manager to be sacked. While I don't think he is a brilliant manager, and that he might not be the best man to take them forward, I think Mike Ashley will be prepared to back him and give him time to rebuild them, especially considering that hasn't been the case with past managers recently (e.g Big Sam, Keegan).

Another one would sadly be Mancini, who, if City aren't where they want to be by Christmas, some people (but not me) may well think they'll get rid of him just like they did with Hughes. Personally I can't see this happening as the chairman declared after the Tottenham game he believed in Mancini and had no intention of sacking him, and that he thinks he will be in charge for years to come. Also, I think they'd have learnt quite a lot from the Hughes sacking, and the way it was handled, and wouldn't want to risk going down that route again, so Mancini will get more time even if things don't start well.

It's hard to come up with any more. There's Ancelotti, who, might be an outside bet if Chelsea's title challenge doesn't go to plan, although I think Roman has more faith in him than past managers, and the fact he's already won one would obviously help his cause.

Also, Steve Bruce maybe? He's spent decent money with Sunderland and made a few signings, and, with Sunderland having been in the lower parts of the table for the last three seasons, the board may think it's about time they pushed on and improved, and contested for the top half. If Bruce doesn't do this, and they are still where they were last season, then, maybe he could end up going (especially considering signings he's made and money spent since he took charge). I think it's vital Sunderland make progess this season.

Holloway may be a suggestion, although after Blackpool's amazing achievement of even being in the PL, and the fact Holloway has a limited budget to work with, then I don't think there's a chance they would sack him even if they do come bottom, because just being in the PL is a massive achievement for them.

Martinez might be another to throw in, although Dave Whelan rates him highly so that wouldn't be a strong possibility.

Re: First Premier League manager to get sacked?

I'm stuck between going for Bruce or Hughton. I'm going to go for Bruce' date=' although that could well turn out to be wrong. I can understand why Hughton is the favourite with some though.[/quote']

Why on earth have you chosen Brucy?!

Some might say this discussion is over because O'Neill has gone, although that was in no part due to results so I think this debate should continue. Nobody saw O'Neill's exit coming.

Why on earth have you chosen Brucy?!

Because, as I said, the Sunderland board will expect progess and pushing for the top half after having been happy to survive for the last three seasons. Bruce has signed a lot of players and spent good money, and obviously the Sunderland board will expect a return. Personally I don't think this season his signings are that great (Angleieri aside) (They've also lost Cana as well) and they will still be around 12th/14th, in about December, and not pushing for the top half. At that point, I think the Sunderland board might decide Bruce isn't the man to push them forward and at that point go for somewhere else. And, my own opinion is Bruce isn't the sort of manager you'd want for taking a club into Europe (which is what they will be looking to do in the future)., and if he doesn't go this season it won't be that long until he does.

I could see Sunderland improving in the second half of the season, but I'm not sure whether they'd give him that long if they're still stuck in the bottom half come Christmas. It's worrying the time some managers are getting these days.

Maybe somebody could explain why they picked Mancini. If he does go, and it's a very big if, then I would be delighted if O'Neill took his place.

I think Bruce would be highest on my list. There a few Sunderland fans who were not happy with Bruce from day one. If he doesn't get them off too a good start then he might get the chop. It seems a bit similar to Allardyce with Newcastle. Coming from a so called smaller club after having little money and then having a rich owner backing him in the transfer market. Seems a matter of when rather than if. They are expecting Sunderland to challenge the top 10 but I just don't see it. I think Holloway might be the first to leave but he wouldn't be sacked. I think he would walk away rather than struggle and end up like Derby.

I don't know what the Sunderland fans feel, but I can see how that could be a factor IF they considered sacking him.

He's made some good signings, Good ol' Titus, that Egyptian and the Argie bloke. If Bent can continue banging them in, and the defense keep it tight, who knows.

I don't know what the Sunderland fans feel' date=' but I can see how that could be a factor IF they considered sacking him.

He's made some good signings, Good ol' Titus, that Egyptian and the Argie bloke. If Bent can continue banging them in, and the defense keep it tight, who knows.[/quote']

I have read a few forums and there are fans who would be all for Bruce getting sacked if they don't do well. His days are numbered for me because if the fans are unhappy managers generally don't last long.

I reckon it might be Roy Hodgson' date=' if they fail to make the europa league group stage.[/quote']

I very much doubt it. Hodgson will need time to rebuild Liverpool into the force they want to be, just like he did at Fulham, they weren't great straight away, he gradually built them to the level they are now with time. He will be more judged on how he does in the league, not the Europa League. Liverpool would probably rather have a top four finish than a Europa League win this season, and if they look like finishing in the top four then he will doing a very good job :) . But things won't fall into place straight away, Hodgson will need time and if he gest that Liverpool will improve. My assumption would be the board knew that when they appointed him.

One problem he may have in the future is, if a takeover goes through, he will have the problem of not being the owners first choice, a bit like Hughes once the Sheikh took over at City. This would increase the likelihood of them sacking him if Liverpool don't hit their targets, rather than giving him more time, because they may not believe in him that much, and want to get their own man in.