Official Bundesliga Discussion Thread

timesle

Re: Official Bundesliga Discussion Thread

Can anyone shed some light on this deal with Alonso. Is Bayern in need of reinforcements in CM/DM? I thought they would have decent enough cover around there.

I know he would bring experience at all that, but there would be that around with the likes of Schwiny, Lahm and co.

Can anyone shed some light on this deal with Alonso. Is Bayern in need of reinforcements in CM/DM? I thought they would have decent enough cover around there.

I know he would bring experience at all that' date=' but there would be that around with the likes of Schwiny, Lahm and co. [/i']

Well Kroos did leave. So basically a Kroos replacement.

Thiago will take Kroos spot and Alonso as back-up? would be my thoughts and Mia should be able to confirm.

I was thinking something like this. I don't think Alonso will be a straight replacement for Kroos' date=' not when there is younger talent that can be moulded into that position/role and become world class.

Def will be a squad player/injury kinda thing. Still think he will get good game time.[/color']

Like ash said,Alonso is clever signing. With Martinez injury,Bayern need backup for Schweinsteiger and Alonso fit the bill. Rode is untested at high level and this will lessen the pressure to both Hojbjerg(who Pep use more as wing apparently?) and Gaudino who have big future ahead

Well Kroos did leave. So basically a Kroos replacement.

I know Pep can be unpredictable but I very much doubt Xabi Alonso is suddenly playing attacking midfielder...

My thought on Xabi:

It's a hard one to judge. Disregarding the fee / wage which we don't know anything about yet, I have mixed feelings.

The thing that annoys me has less to do with him and more to do with Pep. Him and his freaking Spaniards. He must be the most narrow-minded man there is. Non-Spanish footballers don't really seem to exist. Bought Thiago, Reina, Bernat, Xabi Alonso in the space of a year. I don't like that as it serves as a breeding ground for cliques at the club. I assume the 5 Spaniards are likely to stick together. I don't want my club to lose its identity due to some Catalan manager.

Disregarding nationaly, the transfer makes sense. We don't have a fit class def mid / mid in the squad right now. Javi Martinez out until the new year and likely planned for defense. Thiago out until October (thanks to Pep who pushed through him being treated by some amateur Brazilian doctor), Kroos gone (was more an attacking mid anyway but was at least capable and familiar with the other midfield positions and could cover there when needed) and there are severe doubts concerning Schweinsteiger.

Schweinsteiger hasn't practiced at all yet. Had trouble with his patellar tendon for a year now and played on. He shouldn't have played the World Cup as he was injured (he didn't start the first 2 group matches) but wasn't gonna miss it. Got injections and played through the pain and we very much needed it. To deliver a performance like his in the World Cup final being nowhere near 100% is very impressive and even if he had to retire now, I think he wouldn't regret it and understandably so. One way or another, he/we are paying the price now. He will be out until at least October/November and there are rumours circulating that we may shut him down for 2014 altogether.

Which leaves Lahm, Alaba, Rode and Gaudino as the fit players capable of playing in midfield. The first 2 aren't even proper midfielders. The merits of Lahm playing at his original position were shown at the World Cup. Germany looked a different team the moment he switched back to right-back. With us playing 5 in defense, he is likely to play the wingback position or the right centreback one. Alaba has never played in midfield for Bayern. He showed class performances playing there for Austria but unfamiliar with the position in our system. Rode just came from Frankfurt and isn't exactly a world class midfielder. Gaudino is 17 and nobody even heard of him 2 months ago.

In other words, with all the injuries we needed a midfielder for at least the next 6 months. You won't win a title until new year's but you can lose one.

There were 2 options. Sign Khedira (as an example) on a 5-year contract or sign an older experienced player (Xabi Alonso) on, according to media reports, max. 2-year contract. I'd have welcomed Khedira as a signing which doesn't mean though that I don't understand why we went for Alonso.

If you sign Khedira, he is gonna want to play every game basically (and so he should) as he is in the prime of his career. Which means that he will occupy a midfield spot for years to come and once some of the guys above are back, the younger talents in Rode and Gaudino get pushed out completely. However, you know you have a world class midfielder playing for you for years and as an added bonus, he is German too.

We seem to have gone the other route. Sign an older experienced player short term. While Xabi Alonso isn't at the peak of his career, he is still a very good midfielder. Being 32 and having won everything there is (multiple times), he'll know and might actually appreciate not having to play every game.

Which means a.) more playing time for youngster in the Bundesliga this season and b.) also more playing time and a free spot in midfield one or two years down the line. The young guys can learn from one of the all-time greats and won't have immense pressure on their shoulder straight away. In the light of the CL draw, I am glad we are getting a midfielder. Naturally, I feel more comfortable playing with Xabi Alonso in midfield than starting with Rode or Gaudino against City. Furthermore, the youngsters won't be demotivated as they see (and have potentially been told) that the club is planning with them in the long-term and they are given enough time to ease into the expectations. Gaudino can play his 10-20 games this season and develop nicely.

Right now, it's impossible to say which option is the better one and hindsight is 20/20 anyway. I am very certain that both got discussed internally (we got linked with Khedira a few times this summer) and the people in charge thought option B was the better one. Both have its downfalls, both have its merits. Only time can tell.

I think Pep sees him more as a player for the wingback position. He didn't play him in central midfield in preseason either but on the sides.

Ah right ok. So use wing backs/full backs, Alaba and Lahm, in the centre of midfield and use a centre mid as a wing back. Makes perfect sense to me :P

Does Hojbjerg look comfortable at wing back then? Guess it's not so different to Durm starting off in a different position and moving to wing back/full back.

Ah right ok. So use wing backs/full backs' date=' Alaba and Lahm, in the centre of midfield and use a centre mid as a wing back. Makes perfect sense to me :P

Does Hojbjerg look comfortable at wing back then? Guess it's not so different to Durm starting off in a different position and moving to wing back/full back.[/quote']

I thought Höjbjerg looked good in the few games he played as wing back. Most notably in the German cup final against Dortmund when he had a cracking match.

Our line-up against Schalke today:

Neuer

Shaqiri - Boateng - Xabi Alonso - Badstuber - Alaba

Rode - Lahm

Müller - Götze

Lewandowski

Starting Xabi Alonso who is a def mid and has been at the club exactly a day in the centre of defense. Only Guardiola can think of that stuff...

I hope it looks different in-game. Looks terrible on paper.

With Alonso at Bayern now has it halted the progression of Gaudino?

that depends where Pep plays Alonso he can be a little crazy at times as today Alonso is a CB...Either way i expect a loan deal for Gaudino if he doesn't get one he could stagnate on the bench for quite a while

With Alonso at Bayern now has it halted the progression of Gaudino?

The boy is 17 and has just started his first game in central midfield last week. He is not gonna play in 30 games with or without Alonso. Last week Rode was on the bench and Gaudino was starting, this week it is the other way around.

I have said it a couple days ago; expect him to get his 10-20 starts which is completely fine. No 17-year old is gonna stagnate by only starting 15 games a season for Bayern.

What progression? Pretty sure he was chucked in due to injurys in the first place...and he is 17 :confused:

Oh and he'd just go into the Bayern II if they wanted to continue to develop him wouldnt they..??

Hamburg just need to disappear what a horrible side