Official Bundesliga Discussion Thread

timesle

Re: Official Bundesliga Discussion Thread

And how easy was it? The ball from Reus just cut out the entire defence. Hermann did well to round Neuer and score' date=' I'll give him credit, but Bayern defended that very poorly. Poor offside trap. Bayern have been poor. Hang on- goal back. Surely too late. Scrappy goal sums up Munich.[/quote']

Grabbed a beer, read a post on the United thread and missed the Bayern goal.

Great hold up play by Reus, Herrmanns finish was very nice as well, 3-1 now a scrappy goal for Munich but they have deserved it IMO. Hopefully gladbach can hold on now and I believe if they keep this score line gladbach will take over from Munich as having the best defensive record in th league or am I mistaken ?

Defence looking a bit shaky come on gladbach.

De Camargo coming on for Hanke good move!

Grabbed a beer' date=' read a post on the United thread and missed the Bayern goal.[/quote']

Corner came in and there was a scramble for the ball before Bastian smashed it in to the net.

I wouldn't write off Munich to get a result, because that's what great champions do (like Man U), but Gladbach look like scoring every time they attack, and should win the game 3-1. They are a real joy to watch, a bit like Spurs in England.

Boom! What a win for Gladbach was great to see Reus get that round of applause he was awesome tonight, Herrmann looks like he's coming into his own as well which is great to see. Thought Leckie was going to knick one at the death nice little run from him!

Credit to Strazli(spelling) that was a amazing clearence over the bar takes some guts to risk that especially sliding in could go anywhere!

Boom! What a win for Gladbach was great to see Reus get that round of applause he was awesome tonight' date=' Herrmann looks like he's coming into his own as well which is great to see. Thought Leckie was going to knick one at the death nice little run from him!

Credit to Strazli(spelling) that was a amazing clearence over the bar takes some guts to risk that especially sliding in could go anywhere![/quote']

Great win. And Stranzl could be MOTM tonight on his performance. :)

Absolutely great tactical performance from Gladbach, and an immense physical effort from the whole team. Favre must be a genius to be able to teach players such as Reus or Arango especially how to track back and defend. And an absolutely error-free performance from all defending players, something that can't be said about Bayern's defense :P

I currently see Bayern making the same mistake as last season. Instead of accepting their mistakes and drawing the right conclusions from a defeat/bad performance' date=' they keep saying that they're the best team in Germany and that they have the best players (see in that context the often quoted statement "The best German players belong to the best German team" when asked about players such as Götze or Reus and the rumours about their moves to Bayern) and that the results would come in naturally due to the individual superiority of their players. Many people call this their typical arrogance, and well I don't disagree ;) This also the main reason why I absolutely can't stand Bayern München despite growing up and living in Bayern.

Essentially, they fail to see that the difference in individual skill of the players can be outweighed by superior tactics, a well-balanced team and often sheer will. Always remembers of these little kids coming on here to the forum complaining about the Match Engine because their oh-so-great Barcelonas, Uniteds etc. keep on losing to inferior teams even so they're blah-blah ratings higher on average.[/quote']

I don't think this statement has ever been as true as today. Even after tonight's game, the Bayern players came out with these statements:

Lahm:

"Everyone has seen that we were the better team today, the game would have gone a completely different way if it wasn't for Neuer's mistake"

Oh really. I think pretty much everyone has seen that Gladbach have been the better - because the more clever - team tonight. Or does anyone have a different view on this? Also I don't think that the run of play would have been that different actually, Bayern would still have played their uninspired, handball-like football passing around the opponent's penalty area, while Gladbach would still have lured for the counter-attack. Besides, that mistake happened, so that whole discussion is too theoretic anyway.

And even better...

Schweinsteiger (when asked about the reasons for the defeat):

The pitch has been in a horrible condition tonight. [...] It was absolutely impossible to play our passing game on that pitch. [...] I'm pretty sure that Neuer's mistake wouldn't have happened if it was on a proper pitch.

Yes. He claimed the main/only reason for the defeat was the bad condition of the pitch. THREE TIMES. That really made me laugh. So let's see, I actually saw a team playing some good passing combinations, and that was Mönchengladbach. The passing before the 3-0 has been stunning for example. And again, looking for excuses for Neuer's mistake. There is no excuse for that. Instead of trying to dribble with the ball and all that, just kick that ball in the stands or whatever...

Absolutely great tactical performance from Gladbach' date=' and an immense physical effort from the whole team. Favre must be a genius to be able to teach players such as Reus or Arango especially how to track back and defend. And an absolutely error-free performance from all defending players, something that can't be said about Bayern's defense :P

I don't think this statement has ever been as true as today. Even after tonight's game, the Bayern players came out with these statements:

Lahm:

[indent']"Everyone has seen that we were the better team today, the game would have gone a completely different way if it wasn't for Neuer's mistake"

[/indent]

Oh really. I think pretty much everyone has seen that Gladbach have been the better - because the more clever - team tonight. Or does anyone have a different view on this? Also I don't think that the run of play would have been that different actually, Bayern would still have played their uninspired, handball-like football passing around the opponent's penalty area, while Gladbach would still have lured for the counter-attack. Besides, that mistake happened, so that whole discussion is too theoretic anyway.

And even better...

Schweinsteiger (when asked about the reasons for the defeat):

The pitch has been in a horrible condition tonight. [...] It was absolutely impossible to play our passing game on that pitch. [...] I'm pretty sure that Neuer's mistake wouldn't have happened if it was on a proper pitch.

Yes. He claimed the main/only reason for the defeat was the bad condition of the pitch. THREE TIMES. That really made me laugh. So let's see, I actually saw a team playing some good passing combinations, and that was Mönchengladbach. The passing before the 3-0 has been stunning for example. And again, looking for excuses for Neuer's mistake. There is no excuse for that. Instead of trying to dribble with the ball and all that, just kick that ball in the stands or whatever...

All those quotes and excuses are rubbish. The pitch was fine and they were definately not the better side. They were outplayed by 'Gladbach, who more than deserved their win.

How many Friday night games are left in the Bundesliga? I've heard that there is only a few more.

I believe Bundesliga is a very strong league with very strong players.

From what I know there are potential risers and also transferring to big clubs.

Example, Nuri Sahin - Dortmund to Real Madrid

Mesut Ozil - Werder Bremen to Real Madrid

Also there's many more, was just spotting out them two ;)

All those quotes and excuses are rubbish. The pitch was fine and they were definately not the better side. They were outplayed by 'Gladbach' date=' who more than deserved their win.[/quote']

Definitely. And nobody (apart from the Bayern fanboys ;)) did say anything else.

How many Friday night games are left in the Bundesliga? I've heard that there is only a few more.

There's usually always one Friday night game each turn, unless there have been international games the week before.

Definitely. And nobody (apart from the Bayern fanboys ;)) did say anything else.

There's usually always one Friday night game each turn' date=' unless there have been international games the week before[/b'].

Ah right. Well, on the BBC website for upcoming Bundesliga fixtures: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/germany_results/fixtures/default.stm it only has a few Friday games listed. I suppose this will change because the German FA are yet to announce which games will be played on those Friday nights.

I love the idea of playing a top level game on a Friday night. I really don't see why more of the bigger leagues do this because more TV money can be had. And away fans can go to the game knowing they can stay in a hotel and come back home on Saturday/Sunday, rather than play the fixture on a Sunday, with fans working the next day (like Man City V Spurs and Arsenal V Man United this weekend, for example).

A few fact based questions:

1. When does Bundesliga 2 re-start?

2. When are the quater finals of the DFB Pokal?

3. Are the DFB Pokal quater finals over 2 legs or one?

4. Are the DFB Pokal quater finals to be shown on ESPN or Eurosport International?

5. Can anyone tell me a bit more on Holstein Kiel?

Cheers for any responses.

Questions of mine that are open to discussion:

1. Are 'Gladbach title contenders?

2. Who is going to go up from Bundesliga 2?

3. Who will win the DFB Pokal?

4. Can Holstein Kiel cause a massive upset and beat Dortmund in the DFB Pokal?

My answers:

1. Definately, but they made need to add more players to have strength in depth in their squad. They won't be the same side next season without Reus.

2. Dusseldorf and Furth.

3. Dortmund.

4. I hope so, but Dortmund should win easily.

I don't watch much bundesliga but I look at stats a bunch of times and I notice one weird thing. How Borussia Monchengladbach have the least amount of goals allowed? People often talk about how no one on their defense is a superstar, and even though I understand ter stengen is quite a talent, I find it hard to believe its all him. Which players are responsible for these amazing stats?

I don't watch much bundesliga but I look at stats a bunch of times and I notice one weird thing. How Borussia Monchengladbach have the least amount of goals allowed? People often talk about how no one on their defense is a superstar' date=' and even though I understand ter stengen is quite a talent, I find it hard to believe its all him. Which players are responsible for these amazing stats?[/quote']

I would say the reason for Gladbach's good defence this season has 3 main 'names':

• ter Stegen - in Germany we have quite a few good GK talents. But ter Stegen IMO is certainly one of the best. Really nice to watch how cool he's already doing.
  • Dante - the CB is the head of the defence. A very good defender and certainly one who could also play at a 'better' club
  • team spirit - everybody is running for the other

I would say the reason for Gladbach's good defence this season has 3 main 'names':

• ter Stegen - in Germany we have quite a few good GK talents. But ter Stegen IMO is certainly one of the best. Really nice to watch how cool he's already doing.
  • Dante - the CB is the head of the defence. A very good defender and certainly one who could also play at a 'better' club
  • team spirit - everybody is running for the other

Thank you. I guess ter stegen is really as good as they say, but its refreshing to find someone who gives credit to the defense as well.

Another outstanding result tonight for 'Gladbach. They really do look every bit title contenders if they can go to tough grounds, like Cologne and Stuttgart, and win 3-0, as well as outplay the home side.

If you haven't already and they are on external in your game worlds, sign Herrmann, Reus, Ter Stegen and Hanke. 4 big players for 'Gladbach. Hanke should go up in rating in my opinion because he seems to be scoring every game for them. Reus is worth signing because his potential and talent could see him reach 90+. It depends on whether SM feel Ter Stegen and Herrmann are rated highly enough for their age as to whether they will rise in rating, but their performances so far this season means they deserve a rise.

Problem is if 'Gladbach do too well, they will lose all 4 players in the summer (Reus is already going to Dortmund of course). Herrmann and Ter Stegen are two of the best German youngsters I have seen. Herrmann doesn't get the credit he deserves because of the rise and rise of Reus. Ter Stegen has to go to Euro 2012 in my opinion because he is excellent (although so are Neuer, Adler, Ulreich and Leno). Herrmann and Ter Stegen may and probably will move to bigger clubs in the summer. I could also see Hanke moving to a bigger club this summer- somewhere like Schalke for example.

Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness has revealed that his club gave Borussia Dortmund a loan when the latter were on the verge of bankruptcy.

The Ruhr area side were staring into the abyss in 2003, but rather than watch their rivals go under, Hoeness decided to loan them money in order to help with their crippling debts.

"When they (Dortmund) were aware that they could no longer pay their salaries, we gave them 1.65 million pounds without collateral for a few months," the 60-year-old told fans in Hamburg.

When questioned about the loan, current Borussia Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke confirmed that the Bavarians had indeed helped his club out with their crisis.

"Yes, I can confirm a loan," he told Ruhr Nachrichten.

Bayern have in the past also given financial aid to local rivals 1860 Munich, as well as St Pauli.

Maybe Herr Göppel should me more appreciative to Bayern after their helped Dortmund. If they didn't, then maybe Ballspielverein Borussia Dortmund would me no more and Herr Göppel would probably be supporting Schalke.

Just heard Shaqiri has gone to Bayern for 10 mil. Absolute steal if it's true.

I think it's a bit more than that (if it's true at all' date=' but it does seem very likely indeed), but it still remains to be seen if Bayern actually make use of his talent, or if they rather keep relying on Robben/Müller/Ribery instead. In that case, a double-digit million sum is quite much for a bench-warmer.

Maybe Herr Göppel should me more appreciative to Bayern after their helped Dortmund. If they didn't, then maybe Ballspielverein Borussia Dortmund would me no more and Herr Göppel would probably be supporting Schalke.

In fact, that's a quite old and at least under BVB fans well-known story, that just happened to be dug out when Dortmund are ahead of Bayern in the table (what a coincidence). And as much as I appreciate the credit handed out by Bayern, you may not forget that a) it's just been a credit and not a generous donation, B) Bayern profit from other strong teams in the league (in form of TV revenues, attendances etc. for example) and c) most probably other creditors could have been found anyway (even though most certainly not under the same conditions).

And something like me cheering for Schalke is something that you'll never see, it's not like I've just started supporting Dortmund (and despising Schalke and Bayern for that matter) since their recent achievements, I've actually suffered with them under that difficult period between 2003 and 2005... Believe me, not knowing if your club will still exist tomorrow is something you don't want to experience.

Very impressive performance from Bernd Leno against Dortmund, Kagawa MOTM again, Gotze doesn't seem to be missed, although hopefully he returns soon, missing watching him play

Bayern with a 2-0 win against Kaiserslautern

Schalke are 3-0 down against M'gladbach and critically for Dortmund they are currently two points ahead of Bayern