Official Bundesliga Discussion Thread

timesle

Re: Official Bundesliga Discussion Thread

First two weeks of watching Bundesliga Soccer = Entertaining and Exciting

It ddnt hurt that my first bundesliga league game that I watched was

Dortmund vs Schalke. Great Rivalry!

YYesterday I watched Dortmund vs Kaiserslauten, and the youth and skill of the dortmund Borussia team is impressive they dominated the match.

Kagawa is incredible nd he makes me proud :)

Im very happy with my first two weeks exposure to bundesliga soccer. I hope I can continue to watch more of it :D

Arjen Robben has signed a 2 year contract extension with Bayern :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2139036/Arjen-Robben-signs-new-Bayern-Munich-deal.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Really pleased he didnt move back to the EPL, or Seria A, as he is a player i really enjoy watching, good for Bayern and the Bundesliga as a whole for a player of his quality to stay :)

What on earth is going on at Werder?! Marin, Wiese, Rosenberg, and i've seen in some places Pizarro and Prodl may also be leaving, thats a lot of experience to be letting go of! Their form in the league had dropped dramatically in the last few months, will certainly be an interesting summer for them.

What on earth is going on at Werder?! Marin' date=' Wiese, Rosenberg, and i've seen in some places Pizarro and Prodl may also be leaving, thats a lot of experience to be letting go of! Their form in the league had dropped dramatically in the last few months, will certainly be an interesting summer for them.[/quote']

Prödl's actually extended his contract. I like Bremen and it's a shame to see good players leaving. Naldo and Sokratis are also rumoured to leave as well. I think Breman are struggling financially.

On a side note, I would love to see Rosenberg join MFF after he leaves Bremen. It is well documented that he wants to join us (maybe not now, he wants another shot at another European league with a club which is right for him) and we've been in contact with him recently.

I hate when Gladbach and Dortmund are playing same hours......watching Gladbach for Reus and Dortmund for being my favorite....hmm in 2nd half I'll watch Gladbach(I think).

Reus make it 2-0.

Reus make it 2-0.

and Reus is absolutely brilliant...bagged an assist aswell.

He have 18 goals now,5th goalscorer in Bundesliga but he didnt had ANY PENALTY...so all goals are from action+12 assists...absolutely brilliant player.

Koln game was postponed' date=' they set fire to their flags. Angry podolski is a done deal?[/quote']

No doubt. Best player in the club and he is definitely one of the main reasons why the fans come and see the team play.

No doubt. Best player in the club and he is definitely one of the main reasons why the fans come and see the team play.

That is a bit pathetic IMO, they are lucky a player of his quality played for them for so long

Marco Reus finishes as top player of the season according to Kicker. He pips Leno' date=' Hummels and Ribery.

[url']http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/bundesliga/topspieler/1-bundesliga/2011-12/topspieler-der-saison.html[/url]

Well, that list isn't complete yet though as the final matchday is still missing, so there still could be some movement at the top as it's quite tight. I still doubt that Reus will get a worse grade than Hummels though seeing as he's scored 2 and assisted 1 today, so he's indeeed very likely to finish first.

It's also worth noting that Götze is currently on 2.39, but as he has slightly missed out on the number of needed games (the kicker sets the mark at at least 17 games with at least 30 minutes of playing time, Götze will have 15) he's not appearing in the list. So it might well be that the top 3 Bundesliga players all come from Dortmund (well, kind of ;)).

Well, the following were my predictions on the end table before the season started. Let's have a closer look how good I really was.

Borussia Dortmund

Prognosis:
Places 1 - 4

Finished 1st.

Correct. I honestly rather expected them to finish not first but they did more than well. Best finishing in Bundesliga history with 81 points.

Bayer Leverkusen

Prognosis:
Places 2 - 6

Finished 5th.

Correct. Poorer than I expected.

Bayern München

Prognosis:
Places 1 - 3

Finished 2nd.

Correct.

Hannover 96

Prognosis:
Places 8 - 14

Finished 7th.

Wrong. As you see I rather saw them finishing in midfield. But Slomka once again did a very good job. It was also a great success for them to reach the quarter final of the EL.

Mainz 05

Prognosis:
Places 9 - 15

Finished 13th.

Correct. More or less what I expected.

1. FC Nürnberg

Prognosis:
Places 11 - 16

Finished 10th.

Wrong. Slightly better than expected.

1. FC Kaiserslautern

Prognosis:
Places 12 - 18

Finished 18th.

Correct. Though I have to agree that my range was very large there.

Hamburger SV

Prognosis:
Places 6 - 13

Finished 15th.

Wrong. I didn't expect Hamburg playing such a bad season.

SC Freiburg

Prognosis:
Places 11 - 17

Finished 12th.

Correct.

1. FC Köln

Prognosis:
Places 10 - 16

Finished 17th.

Wrong. Worse than expected.

1899 Hoffenheim

Prognosis:
Places 8 - 13

Finished 11th.

Correct.

VfB Stuttgart

Prognosis:
Places 5 - 11

Finished 6th.

Correct.

Werder Bremen

Prognosis:
Places 7 - 12

Finished 9th.

Correct.

Schalke 04

Prognosis:
Places 4 - 8

Finished 3rd.

Wrong. They were better than expected.

VfL Wolfsburg

Prognosis:
Places 4 - 9

Finished 8th.

Correct.

Borussia Mönchengladbach

Prognosis:
Places 12 - 18

Finished 4th.

Unbelievable totally wrong. Simply THE surprise team of the season.

Hertha BSC Berlin

Prognosis:
Places 11 - 16

Finished 16th.

Correct.

FC Augsburg

Prognosis:
Places 15 - 18

Finished 14th.

Wrong.

So in total I was right in 11 cases and wrong in 7 cases, whilst 6 of the wrong ones were rather tight - missed by only 1 or maximum 2 places. The only really bad prediction was Gladbach.

Well' date=' the following were my predictions on the end table before the season started. Let's have a closer look how good I really was.[/quote']

Quite easy predictions with between those positions, lol...

And if you paid attention to Gladbach previous season since Favre took over, you'd know you was going to be way off.

Quite easy predictions with between those positions' date=' lol...[/quote']

True ;)

And if you paid attention to Gladbach previous season since Favre took over' date=' you'd know you was going to be way off.[/quote']

Well, not everybody has the same high football knowledge like you.

Maybe Phi, but as far as I know he also has a crystal ball. The only problem with this crystal ball is, that it's often defect and so he isn't able to look into the future.

Would love to see your predictions next time :)

Or even better, come and join the SM predict or at least a special event (links can be found in my sig). If you have the heart to do so, of course :D

Well' date=' not everybody has the same high football knowledge like you.

Maybe Phi, but as far as I know he also has a crystal ball. The only problem with this crystal ball is, that it's often defect and so he isn't able to look into the future.

Would love to see your predictions next time :)

Or even better, come and join the SM predict or at least a special event (links can be found in my sig). If you have the heart to do so, of course :D[/quote']

I often make bad predictions pre-season too, but this time I'd have done better than usual. HSV, I actually expected them to be bad pre-season, someone laughed at me for saying that. :P

Prediction games, I tend to forgot that always some time and then quit (not because I did bad, usually I did well). The last times I have forgotten very quickly. Not sure if motivated... but maybe I am... ooh, Euros... yay

Season finished this weekend, so as usual, there'll be my 3 teams. Let's start with the

Top XI:

-------------------------- ter Stegen --------------------------

Piszczek ------- Hummels --------- Badstuber -------- Schmelzer

-------------- Schweinsteiger ---------- Kehl -------------------

Reus ---------------------- Kagawa --------------------- Ribery

-------------------------- Huntelaar ---------------------------

Subs: Weidenfeller, Badstuber, Lahm, Kvist, Kroos, Götze, Gomez

What can I say there. Ter Stegen has been one of the key factors for Gladbach's sudden success and always looked like the stabilizing part in their defence.

Once again, Dortmund's back-line has been phenomenal, but Bayern's was too bad either. I think a ratio of 3-1 is quite fair, you could also easily replace Badstuber - Schmelzer with Subotic - Lahm and I still would be ok with that.

The defensive midfield gave me a bit of trouble however. There've been quite a few players who excelled at some time during the season, but barely anyone could keep his form for the whole season. Schweinsteiger played really well at the start of the season, but hasn't been back to his best since his injury. Sven Bender also had to fight with small, niggling injuries for large parts of the season, Kehl looked a bit shaky in the first half of the season sometimes due to his lack of match practice in the previous seasons. Kvist also had a great start to the season, but looked very tired and exhausted (both physically and mentally) towards the end of the season, but was never granted a rest for a couple of games. I think Kehl - Schweinsteiger looks like a rather decent defensive midfield though, it's a pity we won't see that in the national team though :P.

Now for the attacking trio. I think that whenever he played, Götze was by far the best player in the league. Unfortunately, he barely played in the second half of the season though. Instead, Kagawa found back to his late 2010 form, which earned him a place in my Top XI. And even though there's still a tiny bit of hope that he stays, I fear that the Bundesliga will lose one of its best players once again... Don't really think there's much to say about Reus, an absolute leader in Gladbach's offence, both scoring and assisting goals. Ribery has also put in some stellar performances this season, albeit mainly at home. He's scored 10 of his 12 goals and given 11 of his 18 assists in the Allianz-Arena, and kicker rates him at 2.34 in home games and 2.83 in away games. So in my Top Home XI I'd field Ribery, in my Away XI I'd probably go for Götze ;)

For the sole striker I've rooted for the Hunter, his better assist ratio and the fact that he has an even better goal scoring record than Gomez despite not being provided as many opportunities gave him the slight advantage over the Bayern player.

Honourable mention goes out to Klopp for top coach of the season.

The Flop XI:

----------------------------- Adler ------------------------------

Träsch ------------- Breno --------- Manciennce ------------ Boka

------------------- Träsch ---------- Ballack ---------------------

Barnetta --------------------- Hleb -------------------- Schechter

----------------------------- Lakic ------------------------------

Subs: Neuer, Rafinha, Braafheid, Kacar, Skjelbred, Jurado, Sukuta-Pasu

Now to my favourite, the Flop XI. Adler has probably been the unluckiest keeper this season. First the long negotiations about his new contract where he demanded quite much, then his injury followed by the emergence of Leno, making him obsolete in Leverkusen's plans. I still believe that he's one of Germany's best keepers though, but this season has been a plague for him. And as his sub, probably very surprising for many of you, Neuer. Why? Well, Bayern paid a ridiculous fee for him one year before his ran out anyway, and then he cost them more points in the league than he saved them tbh. Butt probably wouldn't have done it worse IMO.

Now for the back four, what should I say there. I honestly didn't expect Breno to play a good season anyway, or even play much at all, but he even fell short of my very, very low expectations. Another stack of money burnt by Bayern. Mancienne has been nothing but horrible this season, and even though I didn't expect too much from him, many others did. For the LB spot I could pick between a lot of very mediocre players, but none has been extremely horrible. What made me choose Boka in the end is the fact that Stuttgart seem to want to renew his contract despite his many bad performances. Now for the RB and the DM spot. No, it's not a mistake I put Träsch there both times. I'm not a very spiteful person, but his transfer to Wolfsburg didn't pay off at all for him. Stuttgart offered him a rather good new contract last season with the possibility to use him as their main RB, which should increase his chances to be a contender for a spot in the NT. Träsch rejected that offer and moved to WOB instead where they said they'd plan with him as a DM, his preferred position. And they paid a rather hefty sum for a rather limited (but always fierce) player. Then, after a couple of mediocre to bad games at DM, Magath moved him to the RB spot. Then after another handful of mediocre to bad games at RB, he put him on the bench. Probably my flop of the season overall, but a look at his bank statement and he won't be too worried about what some random German dude on an internet forum thinks about him anymore. For the 2nd spot, and it saddens me to say that, I have to use Ballack. I've always rated him, and I still do, but this season at Leverkusen has been a total misunderstanding for both sides.

Hleb and Schechter may still remain in the Flop XI, the only new addition is Barnetta. Another Leverkusen player who's been suffering under injuries for the whole season, and in the meantime, other, younger players took his place.

Lakic may also remain in the Flop XI, harmless at WOB and still harmless at Hoffenheim. For the bench I've put Sukuta-Pasu there, not neccessarily because he himself has been that bad, but more as a symbol for the whole Lautern attack. 24 games and no goals is a horrible conversion rate for a striker, but as I said, none of Kaiserslautern't strikers has been any better.

Special award for flop general manager of the season is tied between Preetz & Nerlinger. The first one because of a lot of bad managerial decisions (transfers, selection of coaches) and even worse external communications, the latter one for his constant failure to imitate his predecessor, his transfers haven't been that bad. And while I'm typing that, it springs to my mind that Petersen, Usami, Rafinha, and to a certain extent even Boateng haven't exactly been steals on the transfer market.

The Surprise XI:

------------------------------ Leno -----------------------------

Jantschke ------------ Ginter --------- Diagné ------------- Alaba

-------------------- Neustädter ----- Gündogan ------------------

Blaszczykowski --------------- Zidan ------------------- Herrmann

-------------------------- Lewandowski --------------------------

Subs: Ulreich, Langkamp, L. Bender, Koo, Firmino, Pukki, Diouf

Well, on the one hand, there's Adler as one of the biggest flops of the season, and on the other hand, there's Leno, one of the biggest winners this season. In the defense, we have 4 players who all had their break-trough this season. Jantschke a bit earlier, the other 3 all in the second half of the season.

Neustädter has been playing rather convincingly during the whole season, Gündogan earned his spot thanks to his phenomenal improvement since the winter break.

Same applies for "Kuba" Blaszczykowski, he already seemed to be completely unneeded at Dortmund, but then when he was needed after Götze's injury, he formed an absolutely brilliant partnership with Piszczek on the right side, both in attack and defence. Herrmann definitely earns his place in the Surprise XI as well, very decent performances for such a young player on a very regular basis. Zidan has probably been the best transfer in the winter break, almost revitalized the Mainz attack on his own and helped them to remain in the Bundesliga.

Lewandowski is probably the most improved striker this season, he's also been a strong contender for a place in the Top XI, but since he's still eligible for the Surprise XI (which is set by my very harsh standards ;)) he'll to settle with a place there. Diouf has been another very good winter transfer, unfortunately his injury hindered him from getting a place in the starting XI.

Surprise coach of the year is Christian Streich, it's been absolutely phenomenal what he's done and reached at Freiburg since taking over as a head coach. Already looking fairly certain to get relegated, he managed to integrate a bunch of talented youngsters and to motivate the whole team to accept the relegation battle. Add to that his refreshing and absolutely likeable personality, and you have, and you have the perfect surprise coach of the season.

Season finished this weekend' date=' so as usual, there'll be my 3 teams. Let's start with the

Top XI:

-------------------------- ter Stegen --------------------------

Piszczek ------- Hummels --------- Badstuber -------- Schmelzer

-------------- Schweinsteiger ---------- Kehl -------------------

Reus ---------------------- Kagawa --------------------- Ribery

-------------------------- Huntelaar ---------------------------

Good post overall, but I believe that this season Schweini has no right for it, but Kroos instead more, or of course a player from a different team. It just wasn't Schweini season.