Official Spanish La Liga Discussion Thread

Re: Official Spanish La Liga Discussion Thread

Good move, Manzano is a great choice imo!

This move should've happened months ago though imo when Jimenez was fired. Now, Knocked out of the CL qualifiers and languishing in the league..

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Spanish La Liga Discussion Thread Ive scored 92 in a season as an edited player on Pro Evo 11 does that count?

Re: Official Spanish La Liga Discussion Thread Raz, you see Bale scored a hattrick? Been a bit quiet tonight so presuming you have

Re: Official Spanish La Liga Discussion Thread G Ronaldo would still be gutted if one of the other Ronaldos scored lol.

Good move' date=' Manzano is a great choice imo!

This move should've happened months ago though imo when Jimenez was fired. Now, Knocked out of the CL qualifiers and languishing in the league..[/quote']

So happy Manzano got appointed as the new Sevilla coach.

He is the ideal coach for them and I was kind of disappointed that he didn't got appointed by Sevilla during the summer' date=' but hey, they wanted to hang on to Alvarez. No offence to Alvarez, but Manzano is just the better coach and way out of his league. Alvarez was just living on the reputation of beeing a Sevilla hero during his playing-career, whilst Manzano actually has achieved something big during his career as a coach (See: Mallorca last season).

I'm sure Manzano will get Sevilla bounce back as quickly as possible.[/quote']

Ay to both. IMO, a superb selection which should let Sevilla get back on track. I still don't understand the sacking of Jiminez, but Manzano is definitely a capable manager who should be able to replace him. Not good for my beloved Valencia :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So Barcelona thrash Sevilla 5-0 tonight,they have struggled for goals recently and thrash one of the four or five best sides by that scoreline,to think I'll be in the Camp Nou watching them play against Villarreal which should be amazing as there two of the best three sides in Spain at the moment:).

So Barcelona thrash Sevilla 5-0 tonight' date='they have struggled for goals recently and thrash one of the four or five best sides by that scoreline,to think I'll be in the Camp Nou watching them play against Villarreal which should be amazing as there two of the best three sides in Spain at the moment:).[/quote']

How have you gone about booking the trip? I'm thinking of going with a mate to watch a game next year :) Thinking either Atletico or Espanyol...

Rumors saying Jesualdo Ferreira will soon get the axe. Personally, I feel this is the right thing to do from Malaga's point of view - Ferreira is a good coach, no doubt about that, but isn't the ideal coach for Malaga. I mean, his philosophy of footballing isn't the philosophy Malaga should be follwoing, not yet. His philosophy of playing an extremely attacking minded footballing might go home with a team that is extremely strong in an otherwise weak league (Porto in the Liga Sagres). Malaga have the financial power of beeing a powerhouse, but they haven't really been getting players who could dominante the La Liga in that way Ferreira's system is needed to succeed. Once they have got the players they need to be a force you could count on, I still don't think he is the ideal man of their job. It's not like Barca and Real, for instance, would stop playing football. Ferreira's system requires attackers who could do that extra and defenders who are a class of their own, as he prefers too play an extremely attacking minded football, but as he doesn't have the same quality players at Malaga as he had at Porto (and the fact that La Liga is a stronger league than Liga Sagres), his philosophy will perhaps never go home with Malaga. Malaga have conceded 21 goals in 9 games (most in La Liga), which bascially sums up what I've been stating.

Does anybody know why Ruben De La Red the 25 yo 88 rated Spanish CM has announced his retirement ? Is it down to injury problems ?

Only just bought him on a free transfer for 2 of my clubs in the past few days' date=' and SM have announced his retirement today .[/quote']

He suffers something from the heart, he will not play anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

And finally, G a y has got the axe. Personally, I think it's the right thing to do. He has been very stubborn when it comes to team takeout, and it took some while for him to realize that playing 2 striker upfront was like comitting suicide, as the standard of Real Zaragoza aren't that bad, but not as good as last season with the Colunga's and co. He put a lot of faith in Perez (he wanted to replace Colunga with Perez), but Perez has been very inconsistent during the games I've seen, and although I think he one day can become a great striker, it was to much pressure he gave on Perez's shoulders, as Perez just recently came to Europe and is only 19. With the famous Zaragoza ultras, it can be a bit hard for a 19 year old player who only just recently came to Europe. Anyway, we all saw that Zaragoza was in need of that extra man in the midfield, and instead of therefore dropping a striker for another midfielder, G a y, insisted with his 4-4-2 formation that successfully worked last season (when he had some quality players on loan like Colunga and Eliseu but who are there now). When it was too late, G a y tried a 4-5-1 formation, but the players had already lost both the confidence and the respect for him, so it could have been seen as a desperate solution by G a y to save his job.

G a y is a good coach, no doubt about that, but the fact that Zaragoza couldn't make sign the last season loanees permanent made it harder for G a y to continue on his successfull campaign of last season, as most of the players (like Colunga, Eliseu and Roberto for instance) were all a part of Zaragoza's backbone that G a y had builded up and was promised by the board that they would be signed permanent and thus, he could develop his work of art even futher. However, this were all false statements by the Zaragoza board, and instead, G a y ends up with some player he really didn't want intially and so, it was very hard for him to continue his successful trend that started last season.

His replacement? Javier Aguirre.

• 2 weeks later...

What a shambles going on with Barca. They believed their game was postponed until tomorrow' date=' as did most respectable websites, however it wasn't so they had to race across Spain to play their game with Osasuna. They are not happy.[/quote']

They'll still win even if they send over six players.

Respuesta: Official Spanish La Liga Discussion Thread

Barcelona said that they had talked with the LFP but the LFP say that they haven't talked with anyone. Anyway,they don't have any paper to confirm it so they're not allowed to postpone his match themselves.

Spain airports are closed so they had to travel by bus and they didn't want to do it. As simple as it sounds.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, Asenjo, Camacho, Demichelis, Maresca and Baptista have all signed for Malaga! :D

Pellegrini's contacts is beginning to pay-off, but I also think that some of the players are just there to lift up Malaga from their awful run of form, which perhaps is the main reason why they decided to loan players or buy them cheaply. I espcially think those three first will be successful investments for Malaga. Asenjo is a fanstatic 'keeper and definately a man who should be a starter at a quality team. Camacho has found himself getting limited playing-time these recent seasons, but I still remember when he broke-through the Atletico Madrid squad some seasons ago. He was fantastic then, and hopefully, he'll build up a strong central-midfield with Maresca. I actually think it was a smart choice to bring in Maresca. I mean, he may not have the tools to be a starter for Malaga in the long run, but with his routine from his time at Sevilla and Juventus, a midfielder like Camacho, who he'll most likely for a central-midfield with, can take good help of the learning he earns by Maresca's guidance. I hope and think Camacho will be a starter for Malaga in the long run, so with the guidance of Maresca, who's been participating in CL at times under his time at Juve and Sevilla, Camacho might grow his football talent even further.

Camacho kind of resembles me of Clement Chantome, to be honest. Both have a similar playing-style, both of them are regared as massive talents in their respective countries and they emerged through their respective teams 3-4 years ago and actually recieved praise from the media. However, the coaches both players have enjoyed coaches that didn't seem to have faith in them and hindered their development by giving them limited (if not any) playing-time. However, Chantome has emerged through at PSG now, and earned a starting-place while Bodmer, a man who was seen to partner up Makelele in the midfield, dragged an injury after the first game of the season. Despite Bodmer's been playing great whenever he has gotten an opportunity, Chantome has been just better and now many wants Chantome to make it Les Bleus. I hope Pellegrini sees the potential Camacho has and take good care of him by giving him playing-time with the ambition that it'll take a while before Maresca and him ''gel''.

Demichelis was actually at one point in Bayern, but that was before he earned a regular place at Bayern. Hopefully, with the lesser media attention (although it's going to be big, as Malaga officially now is the Spain version of Man City), Demichelis might actually provide some stability to the defence. I don't he solely is the right man to solve the big defence problems Malaga have, but I think he'll provide a some stability. I may not rate him as a world-class defender that should have ever made it as a starter at Bayern, but I could see him doing better at Malaga than at Bayern beacuse of the playing-style, which would fit him more than what it does in Germany (although the Bundesliga and La Liga have a pretty close playing-style overall). In Bundesliga, there are many smaller players playing for teams that prefers fast playing football (such as Marin at Bremen, Pitropia at Hamburg or Kagawa at Dortmund), but in La Liga, most of the teams prefers an attacking football, but the players are generally stronger and not as speedy as those three mentioned. With Demichelis beeing better in the air than with his fits, I think the playing-style would only fit him better. I'm not trying to say that he will be a success, but I think he'll lift Malaga's defence and perhaps suprise us all.

Baptista is pap, that's all I can say about him. I really don't have a clue why Malaga wanted him. Perhaps it was beacuse of the fact that he enjoyed some brilliant seasons at Sevilla, but that was light-years ago, to be honest. His wages at Roma were huge (can't remember how much, though) and whilst Roma tried to off-load him every transfer-window, nobody wanted to deal with them solely beacuse of his wages, and that despite the fact that Roma auctioned him out at a very low cost. To be honest, I would have rather seen Malaga loaning him for the reminder of the season (with paying his full wages to make Roma accept such a deal) with the option of signing for a max of €5 million if he plays well. If Baptista would find his Sevilla form, then this deal would be seen as a great one, and if he wouldn't find his form, Sevilla would just send him back to Italy.

If Malaga decides to play a 4-2-3-1 formation, which Pellegrini did successfully at both Villarreal and Real Madrid (yes, I do count his time at the captial as a good one), Baptista would be a very good link-up centrally between the central-midfield and Rondon. He'd provide strength to the attack, which could make Pellegrini switch to 4-4-2, incase Rondon would provide to be to much isolated upfront with the solution of giving the wingers free option to run down the flank and hit crosses after crosses to Baptista, who A: Tries his luck, or B: provides to be a target-man for Rondon, who finish them off. So, with the signing of Baptista Malaga is provided more freedom to mix the tactics, which could make them very ''non-readable'', and thus, they could suprise their fellow opponents that thought they'd go with tactic A and not tactic B, for instance. However, this could only be effective if Baptista performs, which I don't think he will, to be honest.

Rami will join Valencia in the Summer! :)

Yup, he is a great signing. However, he does kind of remind of Mexes - So much potential, but they are both players who could commit those easy mistakes. The price is a very good price to get him for, though. I still recall Marseille tried to chap him over a year ago for €12 million but failed to get him, so very good negotiated by Valencia. Very nice signing overall, as he is a classy player but he could make those easy errors, just sayin'...

• 2 weeks later...

So apparently, Van Nistelrooy seems to be heading back to Real Madrid, as they're in search for a striker who is ''willing to accept the bench'' and ''who isn't prepared to take on a starting-spot in the long run''. According to a Dutch TV-channel, Van Nistelrooy has reportedly told to Hamburg that ''he wants a return back to Madrid''. In this way, he is trying to move to Real Madrid for free, appreantly. First of all, he'd fit nicely into what Real Madrid are searching for - a good target-man, who also isn't cup-tied out in Europe (Hamburg isn't competing in Europe this season). However, it would seem kind of strange that he is actually to let go off everything he has in Germany for sitting on the bench as a back-up to Benzema. I mean, we're back in square one (he was in this situation the last season, hence the move to Hamburg), no? He earned himself a place back in the Dutch national setup thanks to the playing-time he has recieved at Hamburg, where he is a starter when he isn't injured. Ruud has, at occasions, also mentioned ''how happy he is in Germany and that the atmosphere in Hamburg is magnifique''. Why would he willing to let go off that just for sitting on the bench at Madrid (once again?). Perhaps I should mention a more bizarr reason to not go to Madrid; He is the kind of the like the footballing-father to Heung Min-Son, who is arguably one of the better talents in the Bundesliga. He is taking good care of Min-Son by not letting him fade away with all the enjoys of the life when you are a professional and he is teaching him a thing or two after practically each training! I know it may not be the best reason to not see Van Nistelrooy head back to Real Madrid, but at least it's another one. Do I have to mention that he is taking this ''father-thing'' seriously...? :P

Anyway, the media are trying to make the season even worser at Zaragoza, I reckon. I mean, stating that ''the players will strike during the game against Levante tonight'' is utterly ridicolous and it's not a rumor I've been taking seriously. I get that the players are upset with the manangement this season, but let's face it, the board of Zaragoza have always and will always be a poor one. We are all aware of the fact that Zaragoza have been facing economical problems a while and therefore, they haven't had the moneys to pay the wages of the squad (so far) this season. Now, apparently, the Aragon media have reported that the players won't play on top of their game on purpose tonight. As I said before, it's a ridicolous statement by the media and they're only saying this to raise some eye-brows, in my opinion and now Gabi has denied all this, which I knew sooner or later would come out as a non-true statement.

Now all this problems surronding Zaragoza at the moment, reminds me of how the media spread rumors during the spring, when Zaragoza actually played great footy. The media in Aragon then stated that ''15 Zaragoza players were out and drinking before the game against Sevilla'', which Gabi answered by saying ''You say you saw 15 player. Can you then name me all the players, beacuse I want to know as I wasn't hanging around there''. The media in Spain are pathetic. We've got the AS favouring Barca (and thus, hack on Real Madrid in every possible way by making falsh statment and such), we've got the Marca in Madrid (who is like AS, but favouring Real Madrid) and we've got the Aragon media, who is trying to hack on down on Zaragoza (their local team) in every possible way - believe it or not.

is Dídac Vilà any good? Apparently' date=' on his way to Milan. We need a quality left back now really.... I hope he is[/quote']

Hes looked quite promising for Espanyol this season and especially as of late, didn't think a move would be on the cards this soon though. I'm not sure hes ready to be thrust in the deep end at a big club like Milan just yet, but I expect he'll develop well. Plus he looks a real snitch if the rumoured price is true (€4m).

I feel quite sorry for Espanyol tbh, they're got a great group of young players at their disposal this season and thats represented by their league position. But now it looks like thye're losing Didac and have already lost Victor Ruiz to Napoli they may struggle at the back a little. Will be interesting to see if they sign anyone at the back, but I suspect they may give a little more playing time to young Amat who is gonna be a quite awesome player as well. They'll be lucky not to lose him in the summer along with some other quality players like Forlin, Marquez, Baena, Callejon etc.

Also it seems Medel & Rakitic are both close to completing deals to Sevilla. Quite looking forward to seeing how they fare as they look like players with a lot of potential.