3D - A new era or just a gimmick?

3D - A new era or just a gimmick?  

1. 1.

• Fantastic
    • Waste of money
    • Not sure yet

3D has been launched a while back now with promises of a totally new way of viewing football/entertainment. You are supposed to feel as though you are almost there at the event and are part of the action. I've watched a couple of films now and a few footie matches and must say Ihave left largely disappointed. Considering I paid almost 2.5 times as much as I would have watching the movie in a normal cinema, I felt I had been conned. Gave it a second chance with a different film and it was no better.

Similarly with the footie games, I saw no real difference whatsoever other than feeling like an idiot with the special glasses on. Am I missing something? Or is this all part of an elaborate con by the entertainment industries?

Re: 3D - A new era or just a gimmick?

3D has been launched a while back now with promises of a totally new way of viewing football/entertainment. You are supposed to feel as though you are almost there at the event and are part of the action. I've watched a couple of films now and a few footie matches and must say Ihave left largely disappointed. Considering I paid almost 2.5 times as much as I would have watching the movie in a normal cinema' date=' I felt I had been conned. Gave it a second chance with a different film and it was no better.

Similarly with the footie games, I saw no real difference whatsoever other than feeling like an idiot with the special glasses on. Am I missing something? Or is this all part of an elaborate con by the entertainment industries?[/quote']

Its just drawing us in to waste our money mate nowt else :)

I agree, really arent impressed. We have the television in at work , and tbh i dont think there anything special . I believe the concept is misleading , as the sony rep told us that the whole idea is the depth you get with the picture, rather than images coming out of the screen:cool:

Guest drseanfitz

I've seen 2 films in 3D, in Alice in Wonderland, I really thought it worked, and I was glad I took the 3D option, however with Clash of the Titans I thought it was an absolute waste.

If it's done correctly it can benefit, however most films still resort to the old trick of sticking something out of the screen at you.

Never saw Avatar at the cinema, but I believe it was similair to Alice, in that the idea was to take you into their world, rather than bring their world out of the screen.

Be interested to know which films you saw Smartdoc.

3D has been launched a while back now with promises of a totally new way of viewing football/entertainment. You are supposed to feel as though you are almost there at the event and are part of the action. I've watched a couple of films now and a few footie matches and must say Ihave left largely disappointed. Considering I paid almost 2.5 times as much as I would have watching the movie in a normal cinema' date=' I felt I had been conned. Gave it a second chance with a different film and it was no better.

Similarly with the footie games, I saw no real difference whatsoever other than feeling like an idiot with the special glasses on. Am I missing something? Or is this all part of an elaborate con by the entertainment industries?[/quote']

I'm with you Smartdoc. I have not yet had the chance of watching a football match in 3D as of yet, only have had the opportunity to watch one movie in 3D - Toy Story 3. While I certainly commend the movie for being brilliant due to Disney-Pixar and it's CG animators, I found nothing enthralling about the 3D viewing. You sit there with 3D glasses, which I found to be quite a distraction, couldn't get over that I was watching a roughly 2 hour movie with these rather odd, big black glasses, which at times I couldn't help but see them in my peripheral vision while watching the movie, proving furthermore as a distraction, since then, have never gone to another 3D movie.

For me... the whole thing is a passing fad. Sure, now we're not just seeing the movie industry, TV companies investing into the 3D fad, but it's becoming a part of the gaming industry. Only recently did Nintendo, at the E3 conference, unveil a new Nintendo DS - Nintendo 3DS - a hand-held console, which plays games in front of your very eyes in 3D, without the need of wearing any glasses (which I'm most certain of, if a success, expect companies like SONY, Cineplex Odeon, Samsung, etc... to invest into it, thus getting rid of the glasses, then what? Charging us even more for a in-home cinemas without the use of glasses or an even more expensive trip to the cinemas? Ludicrous!)

Plain and simple, I for one much rather enjoy the digital cinema viewings than 3D - anyday! Crystal clear picture, cheaper tickets, without having to wear these glasses on your head. Not too mention, since when did DLPs, LCDs, Plasmas become a thing of the past? The 3D fad will past, but not before these parasitic global Fortune 500 companies have taken a bite out of it. I for one am not buying into it.

I've seen 2 films in 3D' date=' in Alice in Wonderland, I really thought it worked, and I was glad I took the 3D option, however with Clash of the Titans I thought it was an absolute waste.

If it's done correctly it can benefit, however most films still resort to the old trick of sticking something out of the screen at you.

Never saw Avatar at the cinema, but I believe it was similair to Alice, in that the idea was to take you into their world, rather than bring their world out of the screen.

Be interested to know which films you saw Smartdoc.[/quote']

I saw Avatar and can only really remember one scene where it felt like something was coming out of the screen at me. The action scenes didn't really transmit the desired 3D effect to be honest. I've then also seen Clash of the Titans (gave it another go) and had a similar experience to yours.

Same with the footie really, no added benefit in my honest opinion. And if Richard Keys says how fantastic 3D football is one more time, I'll ...... :P

I saw Avatar and can only really remember one scene where it felt like something was coming out of the screen at me. The action scenes didn't really transmit the desired 3D effect to be honest. I've then also seen Clash of the Titans (gave it another go) and had a similar experience to yours.

Same with the footie really' date=' no added benefit in my honest opinion. And if Richard Keys says how fantastic 3D football is one more time, I'll ...... :P[/quote']

Yeah im with you here Doc, after seeing Avatar twice on Blu ray was really looking forward to seeing it in 3D, but was very disapointed!! Preffered it on Blu ray if im honest them stupid glasses :D

My brother in-law said Piranha 3D was awesome... but ive yet to see it.

EDIT: Not going to vote yet as only seen 1 thing in 3D

Waste of time mostly. Admittedly I've not tried it for football so I can't comment there, but really the only reason we're about to be bombarded with the 3D additions for TV's is that it's a very minimal cost addition which allows basically the same model of set with a small tweak to get a bump in price, as well the cost of any add ons like glasses.

As for film, I just don't think it adds anything substantial. Certainly the few films that I've seen in both 3D and 2D were no worse without it. In fact during Avatar the 3D started to give a headache, for little benefit beyond the odd flicker of invention that was clearly put there just for the benefit of the 3D, and effected my enjoyment of the movie itself very minimally. Considerably less than the headache did anyway.

I've seen 2 films in 3D' date=' in Alice in Wonderland, I really thought it worked, and I was glad I took the 3D option, however with Clash of the Titans I thought it was an absolute waste.

Be interested to know which films you saw Smartdoc.[/quote']

Always worth checking whether a production has been filmed in 3D or retrofitted. Even as someone who's not a 3D enthusiast I'll admit that most movies that are filmed 3D do add something, however small, to the cinematic experience. Those that are retrofitted are largely bobbins that's almost unnoticeable and just tagged on to add value to the film. Basically if it's retrofitted save your money and see it 2D.

I've seen one 3D movie in an Imax, which was Avatar. Absolutely brilliant. Breathaking. At all times I felt as if I was there, with the screen surrounding most of my view. I would not hesitate paying a few quid more for 3D. (If the movie is as good as Avatar.)

Avatar was a proper made-in-3D film while Piranha and Clash Of The Titans were shot in 2D and the 3D "effects" added afterwards which explains why the 3D on those two wasn't very good (having said that I thoroughly recommend Piranha 3D...for reasons other than 3D)

The Final Destination (i.e. Final Destination 4) had quite good 3D effects but the film itself wasn't all that good!

I've seen one football match in 3D - the World Cup Final! And I wasn't impressed at all, OK it wasn't the best match (and cost me £15 to see lol) but the occasional cutaway 3D "crowd" scene and the very annoying "camera behind the goal line when somebody's about to put a cross in" didn't add much really!!

Of course, 3D is in its' infancy so who knows, although I wouldn't like to see a future where every single film on at the cinema is in 3D just for the sake of it...