Pierre-Michel Lasogga

Lensois

Pierre-Michel Lasogga

Lasogga_BM_Berlin_K_703393b.jpg

Name: Pierre-Michel Lasogga

Nationality: German flags_of_Germany.gif

Club: Hertha Berlin

Position: Forward

Pierre-Michel Lasogga was originally playing for the youth teams of Wolfsburg, but as he was reaching an age where playing-time on A-level is needed, Lasogga signed a deal with Hertha Berlin in the summer of '10 coming as a free-agent from Bayer Leverkusen (II). Leverkusen has the right, though, to take him back for free within the two years to come.

As Babbel, who got appointed in June as the new coach for Hertha Berlin, needed to build a pretty much new team after some key-players left the sinking boat with not spending to much money at the same time, many youngsters were given a shot during the pre-season, and of course, Lasogga was one of them.

Lasogga quickly impressed on me, and like Djuricin, he is capable of playing on both the wings and as the lonely striker. Young players usually tends to have pace, Lasogga is certainly one of them. You can add some good shooting, and in my opinion (from the games I've been watching him play), he also a good vision for the game. He would do great as an high-working winger (a la Kuyt) or as a ''tip'' in a three-men-attack (a la Diego Milito, for instance).

Anyway, he has been so far impressive at Hertha and despite beeing new to the city, and to the team (of course), Lasogga has been establishing himself pretty quickly to the team. Pretty impressive if you ask me. I mean, he has no routine of football from the big stages, he hasn't been playing with any of those players he is currently playing in the same team as and yet he has still be adapting aswell as he has done.

He has so far not played a minute in the league, as he was out injured. However, during this ''international fixture break'' that has occured this past week, Hertha took advantage of it by playing a friendly game against Auerbach. Hertha won 4-1. And who scored 2 of them? Lasogga! With Friend, Djuricin, Raffael and (Domovchiyski to a certain extend) competing for three four offensive roles in the starting line-ups (Hertha under Babbel plays a 4-2-3-1), I can certainly see Lasogga getting many valuable minutes this season, as he can easily play as a winger and a striker and he surely must have impressed on coach Babbel after his terrific play under the summer. He has been used muchly under Babbel whenever he has been fit, and he has surely showed Babbel that he is right in choosing him to play.

As I've been saying above, he is look pretty solid upfront, and alongside Djuricin, Lasogga scored most goals (7 goals) in Hertha Berlin this past pre-season - This kid is certainly a player to keep an eye out

• 2 months later...

Re: Pierre-Michel Lasogga

As Lasogga had a decent 2nd half against Bochum (where he scored 2 goals) and the fact that he is better than Friend, who hasn't been a flop, but shouldn't be a player playing for Hertha (IMO), means that Lasogga will most likely get to start as the ''tip'' in the (here it comes...) 5 mens attack of Hertha Berlin. Lasogga has, as Guilavogui, been very injury-phrone as of late, and has therefore not been getting so much minutes as expected (the same goes to Djuricin). However, it looks like he'll start against Duisburg this weekend.

• 1 month later...

Rainer Adrion, the coach for the German U21 squad, was the Olympic Stadium of Berlin when Lasogga had a show-off against Oberhausen.

Quote from him; "I was there and Lasogga made a good impression. He is a natural goal-scoarer who doesn't hesitate when he has the opportunity to score''.

According to BZ Berlin, the local newspaper of the capital, Lasogga stands a high chance of becoming selected to play for the German U20 squad. Adrion explained himself as ''Pierre-Michel will have to start out at the U20 team, but if keeps this progress, he'll be a player for the U21 team by the end of the season''.

Since my last update of this Lasogga, he's been nailing down a starting spot for the captial team, as Friend has been rather poor and Lasogga has excelled so much that he was to good to not be given the nod. He has for most of the games had a big influence in the games with his good target-man vision which meant that the team could move up further in the pitch, which Hertha wants, as they're always going for 3 points this year. Since nailing down a starting spot, Lasogga has scored 3 goals and assisted to two goals.

Definately a keeper in other words.

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update: 20app/10goals/4assists + starter of U21 + his team is on its way to Bundesliga (1st place after 28/34 games). Sounds like a huge rise - and maybe more? I am definitely impressed by the way he scores.

• 1 month later...

Lasogga finished the season with 13 goals in hand. Quite impressive as he wasn't thoughted to be playing the first-line in the attack. Though with Rob Friend's failure to score, Lasogga gained some more and more opportunities from coach Babbel and he ultimately finished on the 7th place in the Zweite Bundesliga top scorer table. Lasogga, not too long ago, was also awarded with a contract extension. He signed on and his new contract will run until 2015, so he is definately a keeper in other words. I'm sure that Babbel, who gave the young Lasogga so much confidence when Hertha had so much pressure and expectations to return back to the top flight (Hertha are traditionally quite the big club), won't suddenly start to not fancy young Pierre-Michel.