Official Serie A Thread

Guest Daragh

Re: The Official Serie A Thread 2010/11

SØRENSEN' date=' Frederik 18yo is getting some playtime at Juventus now.

He even played todays big match against Roma, he was in teh starting 11.

I dont think Juventus is in a defensive crysis, so i guess this kid got some talent.

would just like to know some thoughts[/quote']

Great little player there... it's just a shame that he is on a season long loan from a Div 2 side... from Denmark (Ljungby)! Great scouting there by Juve, he was originally thoughted to develop in the Primavera squad, but with all the injuries' Juve's been dealing with as of lately, he got a start last weekend against Cesena. After an impressive performances by him, he was rightly started in the game against Roma aswell. Del Neri seems to have some confidence in him, and I agree. Del Neri turned Poli into a superstar last season, so perhaps this guy might be the next player who develops under Del Neri's ''wings''. Man, Denmark's got some good young and talented defenders in Agger, Kjaer, Zanka and Sörensen.

Anyway, great performances by both side. Juventus controlled the midfield quite comftorably, in my opinion. Aquilani, Marchisio, Melo and Pepe all dominated the game and especially Cassetti found it hard to take out Marchisio, which, rightly so, made him exit the game after 45 minutes after not beeing so impressive (about time Raineri reacts!). Aquilani was great as always, and rumors have it that he will get a call-up to play the game for Italy, which is right by Prandelli, Aquilani must play. Him and Melo are the complete duo together and they are both horrassing every midfield in Italy at the moment. Roma didn't really was much of a stand-up against Juve's midfield, but yet, they got some chances to score, as they used the wings (Vucinic and Menez). Smart move, really, Vucinic and Menez are both quicker than the wing-backs of Juve (Sörensen and Grosso). Roma did come up in some counter-attacks and one of them turned out to be a dangerous one, as when Mexes got tripped inside the box by Chiellini, which should have been a penalty in my opnion, and the ref didn't blow the whistle either. Either way, they got their penalty minutes later after a Totti freekick, which they score on aswell.

1-1 fair result.

PS. Greco - amazing player. He's never played in Serie A prior to this season, but yet, at the age of 24, he is playing the football of his life. Talk about some midfield problems in Roma. Once Pizzaro is back, they've got Pizzaro, Greco, Simplicio, De Rossi, Perrotta, Brighi and to an lesser extend, Taddei, to choose between and all for just the centre of midfield where on two players can occupy a place at the moment.

Re: Riferimento: The Official Serie A Thread 2010/11

Palermo-Catania 3-1

Pastore' date='Pastore,Pastore:eek:[/quote']

Great game for his side, he was the difference in this match, as Catania wasn't that bad, in my opinion. I was deligthed to see Miccoli back on the pitch again. However, as expected, he was clearly out of shape. Catania started out well, but after the first out of three Pastore goal, they lost the midfield battle and soon enough, they didn't seem to have faith in themselves and let Palermo to just ''eat up'' the midfield and practically let Bacinovic/Migliaccio/Nocerino feed Pastore and Ilicic with crosses and passes one after one.

As Catania didn't seem to want to play the game after the first 30 mins in the 1st half, it prooved to be the end for them, as Pastore and Ilicic are two players you don't want to give some extra spaces too. I also need to say that I was mighty impressed by the new Catania signing for the lower leagues of Brazil, Raphael Marthino (might put a PTS on him :P). He put some of the regista pressures of Biagianti's back by sharing the role with Biaganti a bit and he seemed to take no fear for Palermo, despite beeing his first game in Italy. Very impressive debut by this new Catania kid, if he keeps up like this, then it's one of the best signings Lo Monaco has ever done, as Marthino came very cheaply to Catania.

So, Italy faces Romania today. Very interesting match for this new era of the ''Gli Azzuri''. Cristian Ledesma, Ranocchia, Diamanti and Balzaretti all have been called up to play for Italy for the very first time. We can also notice a player who is making a comeback to the squad, in Alberto Aquilani.

Personally, I'm thrilled to see players the newcomers/comebacking players. Ranocchia is the future Nesta, in my opinion. If he didn't carry on a injury he got halfways through last season during the summer, I'm sure he'd be playing for a top team in Italy right now. I don't intend to say that Juve would have gone for him over Bonucci if Ranocchia was fit for 100%, but I'd still prefer Ranocchia over Bonucci everyday of the week. I still recall last year, when Andrea Esposito was thoughted the future of Italy. After several impressive seasons with Lecce, Esposito was bought by Preziozi and Genoa after Lecce's relegation. In Genoa, he was playing as a defender in a 3-5-2 formation, which requires very fast and impulsive defenders. As he in Lecce often played in a 4-men backbone (or even 5 at some points), he found it very hard to acklimatize to the new style and with Preziozi beeing the man he is (he wants results directly, and can be very impulsive, which you can notice at the constant squad changes for every season), Esposito never really got a look-in at the squad after only a handful games of starts. After a loan-spell at the then, rockbottom team, Livorno, during the 2nd part of the past season, he is now playing for Bologna, where he never really gets a look-in.

Ranocchia is kind of like Esposito: With all the hype around him ''Like the new leader of Italy'' or ''The best defence prodigy from Italy since the famous 4-mens backbone of Milan during the 90's''. When Ranocchia returned to Genoa after his succesful loan-spell at Bari, Ranocchia would be facing the same problem like the on Esposito ''got stucked on'' (acklimatizing from a 4-mens defence to a 3-mens), but so far, Ranocchia has been by far the best defender overall for the team under the big four of Italy, in my opinion. It has now also earned him his first call up to play for Italy I can say it again: Ranocchia is the future of Italy, and he is better than Bonucci. That's for all the haters, that is (and I've seen some on this forum).

Balzaretti finally got a call up, it was only a matter of time. He has been the unsunghero in Palermo's young team, and is the complete fullback, in my eyes. He has the speed, the work-effort, the pace, the control, the crosses, the vision, and so on and on. You name it, he has it. Very modern fullback, who hopefully won't make a fool out of himself tonights, beacuse I think he deserves to be starting for Italy regulary. He is very much an Aly Cissokho look-a-like in terms of playing-style, and to be honest, if he were under 23, there'd be a lot of hype around Balzaretti. Diamanti also got his first call up. He was without a doubt the best player in Livorno under his time there, and once he left, Livorno's otherwise succesfull attack from the time in Serie B, got hammered by every defence in Italy during the last season. In Brescia, there was a similar problem when he was suspended for 5 games for swearing towards a referee. Brescia started the season succesfully with Diamanti in a trequartista role (which Prandelli intends to start him tonight aswell) and they got pleased their fans with the points rolling in and their beautiful football, but once Diamanti got suspended, both Eder and Caracciolo found it hard to regain their early season form and Brescia found it very hard to score without Diamanti's creativity. When he finally came back from that suspension, Eder and Caracciolo started to perform better and the creativity in the Brescia attacks started flow again thanks to Diamanti's creativity and vision for the game. The Inter v Brescia game a couple of weeks back was a perfect example of Diamanti's importancy for Brescia. He had just returned from that ridicolous suspension. Caracciolo pre-game hadn't been in his best form and clearly missed Diamanti's creativity, but once the game started, Caracciolo both scored and was without a doubt a constant threat to the Inter defence times and times again. That despite taking a point the 5 previous games. Good to see Diamanti earning a call up, he is without a doubt a key-player in Brescia and it's good to see Prandelli noticing that and take him out to the squad, which a certain Lippi wouldn't do.

Finally, Aquilani. What can I say...? All those of you knows that I'm a massive fans of his if you read my posts, that is. He and Melo have builded up the strongest and the best central midfield in Serie A. With Melo next to him, Aquilani can go out a bit more on the attacking and with his lovely right foot, the opponents for sure doesn't want him close to the penalty area, as his crosses and shooting-ability are fantastic. This also the main reason to why some of the L'Pool fans got the wrong picture of Aquilani. Some, not all, saw him as a player to weak for Premier League and like some of the players who makes the move to Premier League from Serie A, to slow for the English game. All that, it's not the truth. He was playing in a Xabi Alonso role, which Benitez happily gave him, but to be honest, Aquilani is good at passing and has a good vision for the game but he needs to be playing further up in the pich. He'd do better in Liverpool if he would have played right behind Torres the last season, in the role Gerrard played at. In Juventus, he is playing next to a warrior (Melo), which means that he could go out ''on the offensive trip'' a bit more, where he can get the maximum out of him. Today, he won't be playing next to a pure DM like Melo or Gattuso, and instead, from the reports I've heard, he'll be playing next to two other registas in Ledesma and Mauri. If this is true, then Aquilani might not play as good as he does in Juve, as he then needs to stay a bit more defensive, which was the main reason to why some of the L'Pool fans think as they do about him. Hopefully I'm wrong, though, and ''Aqui'' can show everyone why I rate him so highly.

The XI;

4-3-1-2

Viviano

Santon, Bonucci, Ranocchia, Balzaretti

Aquilani, Ledesma, Mauri

Diamanti

Balotelli, Rossi

In Bold = Debutants

PS. As this is the official discussion Serie A thread, I thought it might be more apropreate to post this post about the ''Gli Azzuri'' in here, rather in my prediction thread.

So' date=' Italy faces Romania today. Very interesting match for this new era of the ''Gli Azzuri''. Cristian Ledesma, Ranocchia, Diamanti and Balzaretti all have been called up to play for Italy for the very first time. We can also notice a player who is making a comeback to the squad, in Alberto Aquilani.

Personally, I'm thrilled to see players the newcomers/comebacking players. Ranocchia is the future Nesta, in my opinion. If he didn't carry on a injury he got halfways through last season during the summer, I'm sure he'd be playing for a top team in Italy right now. I don't intend to say that Juve would have gone for him over Bonucci if Ranocchia was fit for 100%, but I'd still prefer Ranocchia over Bonucci everyday of the week. I still recall last year, when Andrea Esposito was thoughted the future of Italy. After several impressive seasons with Lecce, Esposito was bought by Preziozi and Genoa after Lecce's relegation. In Genoa, he was playing as a defender in a 3-5-2 formation, which requires very fast and impulsive defenders. As he in Lecce often played in a 4-men backbone (or even 5 at some points), he found it very hard to acklimatize to the new style and with Preziozi beeing the man he is (he wants results directly, and can be very impulsive, which you can notice at the constant squad changes for every season), Esposito never really got a look-in at the squad after only a handful games of starts. After a loan-spell at the then, rockbottom team, Livorno, during the 2nd part of the past season, he is now playing for Bologna, where he never really gets a look-in.

Ranocchia is kind of like Esposito: With all the hype around him ''Like the new leader of Italy'' or ''The best defence prodigy from Italy since the famous 4-mens backbone of Milan during the 90's''. When Ranocchia returned to Genoa after his succesful loan-spell at Bari, Ranocchia would be facing the same problem like the on Esposito ''got stucked on'' (acklimatizing from a 4-mens defence to a 3-mens), but so far, Ranocchia has been by far the best defender overall for the team under the big four of Italy, in my opinion. It has now also earned him his first call up to play for Italy I can say it again: Ranocchia is the future of Italy, and he is better than Bonucci. That's for all the haters, that is (and I've seen some on this forum).

Balzaretti finally got a call up, it was only a matter of time. He has been the unsunghero in Palermo's young team, and is the complete fullback, in my eyes. He has the speed, the work-effort, the pace, the control, the crosses, the vision, and so on and on. You name it, he has it. Very modern fullback, who hopefully won't make a fool out of himself tonights, beacuse I think he deserves to be starting for Italy regulary. He is very much an Aly Cissokho look-a-like in terms of playing-style, and to be honest, if he were under 23, there'd be a lot of hype around Balzaretti. Diamanti also got his first call up. He was without a doubt the best player in Livorno under his time there, and once he left, Livorno's otherwise succesfull attack from the time in Serie B, got hammered by every defence in Italy during the last season. In Brescia, there was a similar problem when he was suspended for 5 games for swearing towards a referee. Brescia started the season succesfully with Diamanti in a trequartista role (which Prandelli intends to start him tonight aswell) and they got pleased their fans with the points rolling in and their beautiful football, but once Diamanti got suspended, both Eder and Caracciolo found it hard to regain their early season form and Brescia found it very hard to score without Diamanti's creativity. When he finally came back from that suspension, Eder and Caracciolo started to perform better and the creativity in the Brescia attacks started flow again thanks to Diamanti's creativity and vision for the game. The Inter v Brescia game a couple of weeks back was a perfect example of Diamanti's importancy for Brescia. He had just returned from that ridicolous suspension. Caracciolo pre-game hadn't been in his best form and clearly missed Diamanti's creativity, but once the game started, Caracciolo both scored and was without a doubt a constant threat to the Inter defence times and times again. That despite taking a point the 5 previous games. Good to see Diamanti earning a call up, he is without a doubt a key-player in Brescia and it's good to see Prandelli noticing that and take him out to the squad, which a certain Lippi wouldn't do.

Finally, Aquilani. What can I say...? All those of you knows that I'm a massive fans of his if you read my posts, that is. He and Melo have builded up the strongest and the best central midfield in Serie A. With Melo next to him, Aquilani can go out a bit more on the attacking and with his lovely right foot, the opponents for sure doesn't want him close to the penalty area, as his crosses and shooting-ability are fantastic. This also the main reason to why some of the L'Pool fans got the wrong picture of Aquilani. Some, not all, saw him as a player to weak for Premier League and like some of the players who makes the move to Premier League from Serie A, to slow for the English game. All that, it's not the truth. He was playing in a Xabi Alonso role, which Benitez happily gave him, but to be honest, Aquilani is good at passing and has a good vision for the game but he needs to be playing further up in the pich. He'd do better in Liverpool if he would have played right behind Torres the last season, in the role Gerrard played at. In Juventus, he is playing next to a warrior (Melo), which means that he could go out ''on the offensive trip'' a bit more, where he can get the maximum out of him. Today, he won't be playing next to a pure DM like Melo or Gattuso, and instead, from the reports I've heard, he'll be playing next to two other [i']registas[/i] in Ledesma and Mauri. If this is true, then Aquilani might not play as good as he does in Juve, as he then needs to stay a bit more defensive, which was the main reason to why some of the L'Pool fans think as they do about him. Hopefully I'm wrong, though, and ''Aqui'' can show everyone why I rate him so highly.

The XI;

4-3-1-2

Viviano

Aquilani, Ledesma, Mauri

Diamanti

Balotelli, Rossi

In Bold = Debutants

PS. As this is the official discussion Serie A thread, I thought it might be more apropreate to post this post about the ''Gli Azzuri'' in here, rather in my prediction thread.

Lol Italy is so desperate they started using the azzurri's of other Nationalities.

Riferimento: Re: The Official Serie A Thread 2010/11

So' date=' Italy faces Romania today. Very interesting match for this new era of the ''Gli Azzuri''. Cristian Ledesma, Ranocchia, Diamanti and Balzaretti all have been called up to play for Italy for the very first time. We can also notice a player who is making a comeback to the squad, in Alberto Aquilani.

Finally, Aquilani. What can I say...? All those of you knows that I'm a massive fans of his if you read my posts, that is. He and Melo have builded up the strongest and the best central midfield in Serie A. With Melo next to him, Aquilani can go out a bit more on the attacking and with his lovely right foot, the opponents for sure doesn't want him close to the penalty area, as his crosses and shooting-ability are fantastic. This also the main reason to why some of the L'Pool fans got the wrong picture of Aquilani. Some, not all, saw him as a player to weak for Premier League and like some of the players who makes the move to Premier League from Serie A, to slow for the English game. All that, it's not the truth. He was playing in a Xabi Alonso role, which Benitez happily gave him, but to be honest, Aquilani is good at passing and has a good vision for the game but he needs to be playing further up in the pich. He'd do better in Liverpool if he would have played right behind Torres the last season, in the role Gerrard played at. In Juventus, he is playing next to a warrior (Melo), which means that he could go out ''on the offensive trip'' a bit more, where he can get the maximum out of him. Today, he won't be playing next to a pure DM like Melo or Gattuso, and instead, from the reports I've heard, he'll be playing next to two other [i']registas[/i] in Ledesma and Mauri. If this is true, then Aquilani might not play as good as he does in Juve, as he then needs to stay a bit more defensive, which was the main reason to why some of the L'Pool fans think as they do about him. Hopefully I'm wrong, though, and ''Aqui'' can show everyone why I rate him so highly.

The XI;

4-3-1-2

Viviano

Aquilani, Ledesma, Mauri

Diamanti

Balotelli, Rossi

In Bold = Debutants

Finally a good team.Only ledesma isn't a good player.Ranocchia is the inter future and rossi is the star of this team.Is a very youth squad.

My 11

Sirigu

Santon-Bonucci-Ranocchia-Balzaretti

Aquilani-D'Agostino-Mauri

Rossi

Balotelli-Gilardino(Chico Macheda:D)

Re: Riferimento: Re: The Official Serie A Thread 2010/11

Finally a good team.Only ledesma isn't a good player.Ranocchia is the inter future and rossi is the star of this team.Is a very youth squad.

My 11

Sirigu

Santon-Bonucci-Ranocchia-Balzaretti

Aquilani-D'Agostino-Mauri

Rossi

Balotelli-Gilardino(Chico Macheda:D)

i guess you are a fan of united and love the overated Macheda then.

• 4 weeks later...

I just love the way Mihajlovic has started to turn the ''sinking boat'' around with Fiorentina. As he said: ''With Mutu, everything get easier''. Although, he is pretty much correct with that statement, I wouldn't only hail Mutu all the way for this form Fiorentina currently are in. It's their defence who has been the successful key for this sort of turn-a-round. I mean, previously, under Prandelli, the defence was always the problem and the attack was the strongest point at Fiorentina. Now, with Mihajlovic, the team has gotten a nice balance so-to-say. The attack might not be as strong as under Prandelli days, but it's only been a bit of reduced in strongness, which has only benefited the defence, as it gives the team a well needed balance.

This summer, everyone - including me, wanted Natali out of the club and also a new central defence. However, this season, Natali has showed everyone why Fiorentina wanted to buy a 30 year old player with no experience from Europe previously, as he went on to build a solid central lock with Gamberini. When Natali got injured a while back and Felipe had a suspension, the youngster Camporese went on to fill the big shoes nicely. Camporese, in my opinion, will be a future Gli Azzuri player if he keeps this progress. I do think he is ready for Fiorentina at the age of 18 and shouldn't at all be sent out on loan after this season or so. Natali was good pre-injury and didn't make any mistakes, to be honest, but in reality, Camporese has been one step above him.

It's nice to see Mihajlovic giving the youngster chances aswell. In the league, he has already been given players such as Camporese, Picconi and Gulan chances. Speaking of Gulan, he is ready for a starting place at Fiorentina aswell, in my opinion. There is no way Pasqual is better than the Serbian - Pasqual hasn't been good since 2006...

I just love the way Mihajlovic has started to turn the ''sinking boat'' around with Fiorentina. As he said: ''With Mutu' date=' everything get easier''. Although, he is pretty much correct with that statement, I wouldn't only hail Mutu all the way for this form Fiorentina currently are in. It's their defence who has been the successful key for this sort of turn-a-round. I mean, previously, under Prandelli, the defence was always the problem and the attack was the strongest point at Fiorentina. Now, with Mihajlovic, the team has gotten a nice balance so-to-say. The attack might not be as strong as under Prandelli days, but it's only been a bit of reduced in strongness, which has only benefited the defence, as it gives the team a well needed balance.

This summer, everyone - including me, wanted Natali out of the club and also a new central defence. However, this season, Natali has showed everyone why Fiorentina wanted to buy a 30 year old player with no experience from Europe previously, as he went on to build a solid central lock with Gamberini. When Natali got injured a while back and Felipe had a suspension, the youngster Camporese went on to fill the big shoes nicely. Camporese, in my opinion, will be a future Gli Azzuri player if he keeps this progress. I do think he is ready for Fiorentina at the age of 18 and shouldn't at all be sent out on loan after this season or so. Natali was good pre-injury and didn't make any mistakes, to be honest, but in reality, Camporese has been one step above him.

It's nice to see Mihajlovic giving the youngster chances aswell. In the league, he has already been given players such as Camporese, Picconi and Gulan chances. Speaking of Gulan, he is ready for a starting place at Fiorentina aswell, in my opinion. There is no way Pasqual is better than the Serbian - Pasqual hasn't been good since 2006...[/quote']

Agreed. While the attack may not be as effective now, as it was under Prandelli, think about it. He (Mihajlovic) hadn't got an on form Mutu at his disposal nor Jovetic. D'Agostino had been out injured while Montolivo had been playing through pain killers and had been putting off surgery at the start of the season, which seriously affected his performances. Mihajlovic was never going to have an instant impact like he did at Catania, but while some fans were calling for his head, he's began to turn things around.

Funny you mention Camporese. Posted last week saying he was one of the brightest defenders in the Italian game at the moment, in my opinion. Fantastic talent and the big stage hasn't phased him one bit. I'm still not entirely convinced with Natali though, I'd much rather - although inexperienced - Camporese to take the spot permanently. As for Gulan, I still think he needs to be eased into the left back role. Pasqual may not be the player he was, but I don't think Gulan is entirely ready for a permanent spot, just yet.

Moving away from Fiorentina, January is certainly going to be interesting! Both Zamperini and De Laurentiis promising more than one new face - Zamperini already completing a deal for yet another Maribor player, center back Sinisa Andjelkovic. Reports in Italy also suggesting that Lokomotiv Moscow starlet Milan Milanovic has also signed, however, reports last month suggested he had signed for Juventus, so that one is unclear at the moment. Not just that, but there are key names who will be on the move, Cassano looks all set - although you never know, different stories everyday -, Marchetti will also finally see the back of Cellino, providing he doesn't do a "Lotito" and of course Ronaldinho. Also with new managers such as Donadoni and Ballardini, we may see some deadline day activity!

Funny you mention Camporese. Posted last week saying he was one of the brightest defenders in the Italian game at the moment' date=' in my opinion. Fantastic talent and the big stage hasn't phased him one bit. I'm still not entirely convinced with Natali though, I'd much rather - although inexperienced - Camporese to take the spot permanently. As for Gulan, I still think he needs to be eased into the left back role. Pasqual may not be the player he was, but I don't think Gulan is entirely ready for a permanent spot, just yet.[/quote']

Yeah, I've been mentioning this kid Camporese aswell around this forum previously, me thinks. Who can blame us? He is personally reminding me of the Chiellini we saw during his early days at Juve - both aren't afraid of taking the lead over the defence, both are very good with both foots (which is almost a must in todays modern football) and both are solid clips at the back. Perhaps the then Chiellini was a bit stronger in his body, but that isn't so suprising, though, as Chiellini is a rock. Anyway, I'm not trying to draw some lines between these two, beacuse it's to early to draw any conclutions. However, if Camporese keeps up with this development, then I do think he will be enjoying as successful career as Chiellini has had (so far).

Moving away from Fiorentina' date=' January is certainly going to be interesting! Both Zamperini and De Laurentiis promising more than one new face - Zamperini already completing a deal for yet another Maribor player, center back Sinisa Andjelkovic. Reports in Italy also suggesting that Lokomotiv Moscow starlet Milan Milanovic has also signed, however, reports last month suggested he had signed for Juventus, so that one is unclear at the moment. Not just that, but there are key names who will be on the move, Cassano looks all set - although you never know, different stories everyday -, Marchetti will also finally see the back of Cellino, providing he doesn't do a "Lotito" and of course Ronaldinho. Also with new managers such as Donadoni and Ballardini, we may see some deadline day activity![/quote']

These Palermo (Slovenian) kids will be interesting to follow. They have all been signed by Maribor and I personally can see Andjelkovic doing good, given all the curcomstances. I mean, the defence is Palermo's weakness, no doubt. Bovo is class act, no doubt about that. I even rate his so highly that I want to see him in the national setup, to be honest. However, Muñoz is good and he has showed his worth. However, sometimes he could ''lose his head'' by giving away way to many freekicks in dangerous positions and also penalties after stupid challenges. With the time, I think Muñoz could become a great defender, but he needs more competion for his postion to play at a level above his level. Now, of course Andjelkovic is also very un-experienced when it comes to football on the highest level and maybe he is not the right man for this situation - time will only tell. However, as Goian is by far one of the worst defenders in the whole league in my opinion (it's magical how he is still even at a big club like Palermo) and the fact that Andjelkovic came from a club who has provided Palermo with 2 extremly talented players (you know who I'm on about ;)), I do think Andjelkovic should and will be the man who will do this job of giving Muñoz a challenge for his starting spot, and with some luck, Andjelkovic may take his starting place, who knows? For the record, I do rate Muñoz...

Cassano's future will be decided this Thursday in the court room. Pazzini, Marilungo, Lucchini, Pozzi will all be testifing against Cassano. The fact that these 4 players will be testifing against Cassano and the fact that Garrone has so much power of Sampdoria, makes me thinks Cassano will have to leave ''the city he loves so much''. Personally, it wouldn't be so badly from a neutral point of view - come to Milan!

I hope Marchetti hasn't been allowed to train with the rest of the squad at any point of this season, as that would most likely see him stay at the island. I remember last year, when Ledesma and Pandev were in the same situation - Pandev wasn't allowed to train with the team beacuse Lotito ordered that and beacuse of that, he went on to sign for Inter. Ledesma was in the same situation as Pandev, but unlike Pandev, Ledesma was allowed to train with the rest of the squad at one occasion, which gave Lazio the right to keep him and not let him go. Marchetti is class act, no doubt. However, if we are assuming he'll win the court trial, where will he go? All the bigger clubs of Italy are all backed-up with good GK's. Semi big clubs such as Lyon and Dortmund are well backed-up aswell. I can only see him moving to Arsenal, to be honest, but as Wenger said ''he won't be signing anyone during the winter-market'', it sounds unlikely. Oh, wait, Van de Saar's replacement at United, though...?

These Palermo (Slovenian) kids will be interesting to follow. They have all been signed by Maribor and I personally can see Andjelkovic doing good, given all the curcomstances. I mean, the defence is Palermo's weakness, no doubt. Bovo is class act, no doubt about that. I even rate his so highly that I want to see him in the national setup, to be honest. However, Muñoz is good and he has showed his worth. However, sometimes he could ''lose his head'' by giving away way to many freekicks in dangerous positions and also penalties after stupid challenges. With the time, I think Muñoz could become a great defender, but he needs more competion for his postion to play at a level above his level. Now, of course Andjelkovic is also very un-experienced when it comes to football on the highest level and maybe he is not the right man for this situation - time will only tell. However, as Goian is by far one of the worst defenders in the whole league in my opinion (it's magical how he is still even at a big club like Palermo) and the fact that Andjelkovic came from a club who has provided Palermo with 2 extremly talented players (you know who I'm on about ;)), I do think Andjelkovic should and will be the man who will do this job of giving Muñoz a challenge for his starting spot, and with some luck, Andjelkovic may take his starting place, who knows? For the record, I do rate Muñoz...

I'm expecting big things from Andjelkovic. Have heard good things about him, and very rarely does Zamperini get it wrong in the market. Have to agree about Muñoz. I like and rate him, but I said the exact same thing when someone was asking about his performances not so long ago. I think it'll just take time to settle into the new style. Positionally, the guy does struggle at times, and Cassani/Balzaretti's forward runs doesn't help that one bit as it does tend to leave him a little exposed at the back - although having a player of Bovo's quality does help. And yes, he does maake some rash decisions and dives in, maybe it's nerves, being at a new club, new league, new country at such a young age? Who knows, but he will come good, I'm confident of that.

Cassano's future will be decided this Thursday in the court room. Pazzini, Marilungo, Lucchini, Pozzi will all be testifing against Cassano. The fact that these 4 players will be testifing against Cassano and the fact that Garrone has so much power of Sampdoria, makes me thinks Cassano will have to leave ''the city he loves so much''. Personally, it wouldn't be so badly from a neutral point of view - come to Milan!

Yep, and unfortunately, he most likely has his bags packed. Milan? Pffft, he's coming back to Rome ;):P You know more than anyone how big of a fan I am of his, and as much as I'd like to see him back at Roma, I'd much rather see him stay at Sampdoria - for obvious reasons. However, while many clubs have put there name out there, Roma have stayed quiet, despite him not commenting on whether he'd like to return to Rome (and answering for other clubs - saying no - such as Milan, Inter etc). However, does Ranieri want another ego in the dressing room, even with all the tensions within the dressing room at the moment? I doubt that....unfortunately.

I hope Marchetti hasn't been allowed to train with the rest of the squad at any point of this season, as that would most likely see him stay at the island. I remember last year, when Ledesma and Pandev were in the same situation - Pandev wasn't allowed to train with the team beacuse Lotito ordered that and beacuse of that, he went on to sign for Inter. Ledesma was in the same situation as Pandev, but unlike Pandev, Ledesma was allowed to train with the rest of the squad at one occasion, which gave Lazio the right to keep him and not let him go. Marchetti is class act, no doubt. However, if we are assuming he'll win the court trial, where will he go? All the bigger clubs of Italy are all backed-up with good GK's. Semi big clubs such as Lyon and Dortmund are well backed-up aswell. I can only see him moving to Arsenal, to be honest, but as Wenger said ''he won't be signing anyone during the winter-market'', it sounds unlikely. Oh, wait, Van de Saar's replacement at United, though...?

As far as I'm aware, Marchetti hasn't been training with the squad. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's true, as he's also talked about how he's been out running in the mornings to stay fit. The fans aren't happy, nor the players for that matter, but Cellino's standing his ground. Where will he go? Your guess is as good as mine. Reports last week suggested he'd been offered to Genoa, which they rejected. So, if he doesn't win his court trial, I'm assuming he'll still be offered out (if reports are to believed), although you never know with Cellino, he may just continue to "freeze" him out as his so called punishment. I'm a big fan of Marchetti, so I'm really hoping he can find the right club. I'd much rather see him stay in Italy though. We could do with him at the moment with both Sergio and Lobont out :P Nice to see Doni back again though, although not the most consistent player around, he's had some great performances in a Roma shirt, so it is nice to see him playing again.

Yep' date=' and unfortunately, he most likely has his bags packed. Milan? Pffft, he's coming back to Rome ;):P You know more than anyone how big of a fan I am of his, and as much as I'd like to see him back at Roma, I'd much rather see him stay at Sampdoria - for obvious reasons. However, while many clubs have put there name out there, Roma have stayed quiet, despite him not commenting on whether he'd like to return to Rome (and answering for other clubs - saying no - such as Milan, Inter etc). However, does Ranieri want another ego in the dressing room, even with all the tensions within the dressing room at the moment? I doubt that....unfortunately.[/quote']

I don't think having Totti, Cassano and Mexes in the same locker room would be an good idea. Totti and Cassano have had their disputes in the past and we all know the outcome from it (Cassano moved to Spain). I agree, though, the best for him would be to stay at Sampdoria. However, as Garrone is making a big portion out of this, it seems unlikely. Cassano wants to stay there, but when the owner/president don't want you at the club and is even prepared to lose him out for free despite beeing able of landing atleast something in the 18-20M € region for you, and the fact that their are a couple of players in the squad testifing against you in public, then it takes something extra to be allowed to play for the team once again.

If he'd join Milan, then I do think he would fit perfectly as the trequartista of the squad. Cassano is always coming down further on the pitch in order to recieve the ball, he is very good at moving between various positions (at Samp he tends to switch between left-winger and striker) and most importantly, he has a good vision for the game and add to that - a great finishing technique. He would for sure be a better improvement of Seedorf and at the same time remind a bit of Ronaldinho, as he prefers to shift his position and try to ''lick'' the flank at occasions. Cassano could be seen as a cross between Seedorf and Dinho (but a massively improvement, hope you catch my drift), and as he has this cross between these two guys, I do think he is most importantly, capable of replacing Seedorf in this role despite the fact that we are midways through the season, but also, he would find the role as prefectly as my hand fit my glove.

I'm assuming he'll still be offered out (if reports are to believed)' date=' although you never know with Cellino, he may just continue to "freeze" him out as his so called punishment.[/quote']

I hope this is true and Cellino is offering his out to various clubs - for a reasonable price, that is. I do hope Cellino hasn't been standing in the way of a move for Marchetti by asking for an outrangeous fee from the potential buying club, which Cellino has done in the past (like when Astori and Marti were on the verge of moving to Milan during this past summer).

I don't think having Totti' date=' Cassano and Mexes in the same locker room would be an good idea. Totti and Cassano have had their disputes in the past and we all know the outcome from it (Cassano moved to Spain). I agree, though, the best for him would be to stay at Sampdoria. However, as Garrone is making a big portion out of this, it seems unlikely. Cassano wants to stay there, but when the owner/president don't want you at the club and is even prepared to lose him out for free despite beeing able of landing atleast something in the 18-20M € region for you, and the fact that their are a couple of players in the squad testifing against you in public, then it takes something extra to be allowed to play for the team once again.[/quote']

Agreed. However, I'm pretty sure Totti and Cassano have sorted their differences and now get on fine, and as far as I'm aware, he'd welcome Cassano back - read an article on his views not so long ago. One of the main reasons being probably because it'd mean Totti could be pushed more forward again, which he so desperately wants :P I'm joking of course. Seriously though, as I said in my last post, I doubt Ranieri would want another ego in the dressing room. Funnily enough, James Horncastle - great journalist - wrote an interesting piece today about the Roma side. Although the piece was about Pizarro and how he needs to be in the side (really can't understand how Greco is ahead of him now, which Ranieri is now coming under critisism for, and rightly so), the article also focused on the dressing room. With tensions building, the Totti disagreement about Ranieri's catenaccio approach in the Munich game, Totti and Burdisso's falling out, Vucinic and Borriello questioning Ranieri's decisions, along with unsettled players such as Adriano (who continued to whinge about lack of minutes despite him being injured), would Cassano's arrival really help the atmosphere within the side? While it would certainly add much needed creativity in the side and that spark of magic that only he is capable of producing, as much as I hate to say it, he may just add to the problems we already have......still, I'd love to see him back though.

And while on the topic of Pizarro, I really can't understand Ranieri's thinking behind the selections in midfield. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge huge fan of Ranieri, but whats happened to Pizarro, lets not forget that this is a guy who was one of the first names on the team sheet last season, and literally walked his way into the Serie A team of the season. Surely there must be something bigger behind all of this rather than the excuse of a flu which Ranieri had given to Mauro, when he had asked about Pizarro's absence. James Horncastle made a point about the Chievo match and pretty much summed up my thoughts after the game. 2-0 up, very poor pitch, all we needed to do was to hold the ball and compose ourselves. Pizarro was perfect for that role, its what he does best, better than anyone else in Italy (I would say that though, wouldn't I :P) but what does Ranieri do? He replaces Greco with Taddei and strangely places Taddei in a more central role and upsets the balance hugely and Chievo began to take advantage and pushed forward towards the end. This pretty much sums it up, from Horncastle himself,

They had opened up a deserved 2-0 lead and really needed to manage the ball on a truly awful pitch that Ranieri would later compare with one worthy of a beach soccer match. Who better for the job than Pizarro? Quite surprisingly, though, the replacement for Greco was Rodrigo Taddei, a wide player for a central role and one hardly renowned for keeping the ball. It was dumbfounding.

We had a discussion about Ranieri's decision to change the formations about (remember?) and since then, he's now changed it again. He needs to settle with the one system, the side is becoming seriously inconsistent. I wonder whether Totti, Borriello and Vucinic's questions have influenced his decisions. I for one certainly hope not, however, I wouldn't rule that possibility out.

P.S: Poor Taddei was at fault for Chievo's equaliser. Went to take a quick throw in but was standing on the pitch when he took the throw, which then resulted in Cheivo going straight up the other end and scoring. Such a way to concede :o

hi Pazzano how you're view about young defenders : Frederik Sørensen ' date=' Vincenzo Camilleri(loan to Reggina) , Michele Camporese , Felice Natalino , and 1 I forgot his name from Inter :eek:

[b']EDIT[/b] : aaah , just got his name , Simone Benedetti :P

As I've stated in the first post, this is a discussion thread only. I've provided a link in the opening post if you want to get his views/predictions on players for SM.

And while on the topic of Pizarro' date=' I really can't understand Ranieri's thinking behind the selections in midfield.[/quote']

True.

I cannot for the life of me see Pizzaro out of the starting lineup. I wonder why Raineri suddenly is starting to change his succesful team from last season, which had a bit of everything. This year, though, he has been trying to build his team around dynamic players. I mean, putting Greco, a player who has never been playing in Serie A in the past (I do think he has been good, though) above the best Roma player of last year, Pizzaro, is insane. I think Raineri got inspired by Inter's playing-style during Mourinho's era, as Mourinho had (especially) a midfield possesing players who are very dynamic in Thiago Motta, Stankovic, Zanetti and Cambiasso. Maybe Raineri wanted to re-build the squad into an Inter-look-a-like squad...? His act during the transfer-market also shows it, as he went on to buy dynamic players such as Simplicio (came for free), Borriello and Adriano. All of them are dynamic players and they aren't the tradtionally players who are better with the ball than without the ball that Roma often intends to buy (Menez and Vucinic, for instance) except for Simplicio, though, to an certain extend.

This change in terms of playing-style from Raineri's side must have come from the influence of Mourinho, which I've been pointing out. I cannot see another reason to suddenly change a style of play after having enjoyed so much glory with it last season. Roma is traditionally known as the Italian version of Arsenal - they play the best football in the league, but hardly wins anything. Raineri perhaps had this in his though prior to this season, and he wanted to make Roma into a machine a la Inter, who only keeps on winning despite playing a bad football during an evening. His management this season suggests that, as he has been taking out the player who is skillful with the ball - Pizzaro for an unknown reason and instead replaced him with a very much De Rossi-esque and dynamic player in Greco. Totti, who previously hasn't been suffering in his play from his age, is suddenly starting to look like a has been and instead, a dynamic attacker in Borriello is the best Roma player at the moment. Greco, who has never really gotten a chance in the past at Roma, is 23 years old without any routine from Serie A in the past and was putten on the transfer-list by Raineri and the Roma stab during the summer directly after returing from his loan-spell at Serie B, is suddenly perhaps the best performer for Roma (behind Borriello, that is) and has been giving the nod over Pizzaro.

Think about it - a player who was told he isn't wanted at Roma after not even had the chance of showing what he is made of during Raineri, has been given the chance over the best Roma player of last season. Crazy, huh? It does look like Raineri has been looking over his shoulder at Mourinho's Inter, in my opinion.

PS. Cassano to Milan. Now Daragh, what did I say? :P

True.

I cannot for the life of me see Pizzaro out of the starting lineup. I wonder why Raineri suddenly is starting to change his succesful team from last season' date=' which had a bit of everything. This year, though, he has been trying to build his team around dynamic players. I mean, putting Greco, a player who has never been playing in Serie A in the past (I do think he has been good, though) above the best Roma player of last year, Pizzaro, is insane. I think Raineri got inspired by Inter's playing-style during Mourinho's era, as Mourinho had (especially) a midfield possesing players who are very dynamic in Thiago Motta, Stankovic, Zanetti and Cambiasso. Maybe Raineri wanted to re-build the squad into an Inter-look-a-like squad...? His act during the transfer-market also shows it, as he went on to buy dynamic players such as Simplicio (came for free), Borriello and Adriano. All of them are dynamic players and they aren't the tradtionally players who are better with the ball than without the ball that Roma often intends to buy (Menez and Vucinic, for instance) except for Simplicio, though, to an certain extend.

This change in terms of playing-style from Raineri's side must have come from the influence of Mourinho, which I've been pointing out. I cannot see another reason to suddenly change a style of play after having enjoyed so much glory with it last season. Roma is traditionally known as the Italian version of Arsenal - they play the best football in the league, but hardly wins anything. Raineri perhaps had this in his though prior to this season, and he wanted to make Roma into a machine a la Inter, who only keeps on winning despite playing a bad football during an evening. His management this season suggests that, as he has been taking out the player who is skillful with the ball - Pizzaro for an unknown reason and instead replaced him with a very much De Rossi-esque and dynamic player in Greco. Totti, who previously hasn't been suffering in his play from his age, is suddenly starting to look like a has been and instead, a dynamic attacker in Borriello is the best Roma player at the moment. Greco, who has never really gotten a chance in the past at Roma, is 23 years old without any routine from Serie A in the past and was putten on the transfer-list by Raineri and the Roma stab during the summer directly after returing from his loan-spell at Serie B, is suddenly perhaps the best performer for Roma (behind Borriello, that is) and has been giving the nod over Pizzaro.

Think about it - a player who was told he isn't wanted at Roma after not even had the chance of showing what he is made of during Raineri, has been given the chance over the best Roma player of last season. Crazy, huh? It does look like Raineri has been looking over his shoulder at Mourinho's Inter, in my opinion.[/quote']

You do make an interesting point. However, I do feel the sudden change of systems is partly down to the criticism he's recieved. I'm one who believes in the old saying, "If it aint broke, don't fix it", so I find it strange that we've suddenly changed from a successful system which saw us become serious Scudetto challengers to a system which has produced a huge level of inconsistency, to say the least. I can understand the change to a certain extent. Borriello's arrival instantly meant that we couldn't play a 4-2-3-1 formation anymore as Totti wants to play up top - even though I feel Borriello would be perfect for that role as the lone striker. However, Ranieri isn't a "Yes" man, so I'd like to think the change is purely down to Claudio himself. We did see him chop and change last season and we did see a number of different formations/systems last season, which to me suggested that he did want to introduce his own system, but he'd do it over period of time, rather than completely changing the system as it wasn't the right time to do it, following a poor start to the season as he needed to steady the ship.

Borriello's form and Totti's power within the dressing room meant that he had to adopt a different formation. He then came under heavy criticism when Simplicio struggled to find any playing time. Pizarro's absence sort of helped Ranieri's headache though :P So carrying on with last seasons system could have been suicidal considering the amount of criticism he had come under, not to mention the amount of pressure he was under at the time also, following the poor start to the season. Still though, I'm not entirely convinced with the 4-3-1-2 formation. Vucinic is much more effective out on the left in a 4-2-3-1 formation, in my opinion and overall its had a detrimental effect on the attacking side of our game, in my opinion, although, that may just be because of Pizarro's absence. But we seriously lack that sense of creativity that we had last season, and while we won tonight (;)), we only looked threatening when Menez was on the ball, and even then, he had NO options what so ever, which then forced him to put his head down and run into no mans land. Not only that, but his "terrier" like style of play off the ball is sorely missed at the moment, it really is. Here's an interesting little fact which Horncastle pointed out, in the 103 games Pizarro and De Rossi have started together for Roma, they have lost just 19 per cent of the time. You NEED Pizarro in the side! I don't think it's a matter of Pizarro not fitting into the new system, as we've seen Allegri use Pirlo on the left to great affect, and Pizarro is a more all round player. I just hope that what Ranieri's saying is true - that he's not fully fit. He has had a number of injuries already this season though.

EDIT: Anyway, with regards to the game tonight, thought it was a great tactical match. Our defence was awesome, simply awesome. Remained composed and confident through out the match, and held a very impressive line at the back. You could see the frustration in the Milan attack due to the amount of offsides, particularly Ibra, who was continuously caught out. Juan and Mexes read the game well and Burdisso was useful at right back, covering for Mexes when out of position. Milan started the game very well and looked very sharp but once Pirlo went off, they lost control of the midfield, which did leave isn't great when you've got Abate and Antonini at the back who were caught out of position a few times, and had we used wingers, we could have exploited that. Great to see Adriano put in a good shift, worked hard and held the ball up well. Did tremendously well bringing the ball down and playing it along the ground while earning quite a few fouls. Menez was once again a threat through out the game, he's really begun to show his true colours this season. However, like I said above, the 4-3-1-2 formation did leave him with no options when he drove with the ball, but it was he who created the goal though. Was great seeing Borriello applause the fans when coming off, to here the cheers(Roma)/boos(Milan) get louder and louder :D Keeps our Scudetto hopes alive.

Anyway' date=' with regards to the game tonight, thought it was a great tactical match. Our defence was awesome, simply awesome. Remained composed and confident through out the match, and held a very impressive line at the back. You could see the frustration in the Milan attack due to the amount of offsides, particularly Ibra, who was continuously caught out. Juan and Mexes read the game well and Burdisso was useful at right back, covering for Mexes when out of position. Milan started the game very well and looked very sharp but once Pirlo went off, they lost control of the midfield, which did leave isn't great when you've got Abate and Antonini at the back who were caught out of position a few times, and had we used wingers, we could have exploited that. Great to see Adriano put in a good shift, worked hard and held the ball up well. Did tremendously well bringing the ball down and playing it along the ground while earning quite a few fouls. Menez was once again a threat through out the game, he's really begun to show his true colours this season. However, like I said above, the 4-3-1-2 formation did leave him with no options when he drove with the ball, but it was he who created the goal though. Was great seeing Borriello applause the fans when coming off, to here the cheers(Roma)/boos(Milan) get louder and louder :D Keeps our Scudetto hopes alive.[/quote']

We had the game in our bags and if Allegri would have gone a bit more attacking in the 1st half, we would have won... for sure. Gattuso, on his own, took out the Roma midfield in the 1st half. It was bad management by Raineri in the first, in my opinion. He clearly was looking to hold out Milan from the scoring-board and to effectively do that, he would have need to put physical players on the pitch against Milan's (Gattuso and Ambrosini). Brighi and Simplicio aren't exactly the weakest players, but they are more creative players, which should be used in a game where Roma wants to go out for the win. With this, Milan won the midfield battle quite easily (Gattuso did it on his own!) and as Milan won the midfield, the midfield of Roma was sitting in the knee of the defence. This caused drama in the defence of yours and several times, bad communicating made it possible for Ibra, Boateng and Robinho to break the offside-trap. However, despite all this, Allgeri doesn't go out all attacking, despite knowing Raineri is only looking for a draw. With Menez looking poor in the 1st half, Roma wouldn't even pose a threat if they would have attacked more, as he was think link between the midfield and attack with his creativity.

In the 2nd half, though, as you pointed out, it was great managing. Raineri knew that Milan were terrified of Menez, so he push the midfield further up on the pitch in order to not make the space between the midfield and the attack so huge as it was during the first half. Menez got more support from the midfield and he was smart enough to attack more on the right-side against a slow Antonini, and of course, he had no troubles with going past Antonini. Very smart management by Raineri - world class management right there. Even your goal came through Menez challenging Antonini and getting past him to serve Borriello, who with some luck, scored it.

Borriello is a great player and I will never forget how good he was last season. I would have loved to see him back at Milan... up until now. What he did at the end is something unforgiveable and I hope he never returns to Milanello. Right after he scored he celebrated his goal, which is something you shouldn't do (if you are normal, that is), so incase he would have been subbed-out, I foreseed he'd do something like he in the end did. Shame really, as I really wanted him to return back, but I guess that won't happen now.

We had the game in our bags and if Allegri would have gone a bit more attacking in the 1st half' date=' we would have won... for sure. Gattuso, on his own, took out the Roma midfield in the 1st half. It was bad management by Raineri in the first, in my opinion. He clearly was looking to hold out Milan from the scoring-board and to effectively do that, he would have need to put physical players on the pitch against Milan's (Gattuso and Ambrosini). Brighi and Simplicio aren't exactly the weakest players, but they are more creative players, which should be used in a game where Roma wants to go out for the win. With this, Milan won the midfield battle quite easily (Gattuso did it on his own!) and as Milan won the midfield, the midfield of Roma was sitting in the knee of the defence. This caused drama in the defence of yours and several times, bad communicating made it possible for Ibra, Boateng and Robinho to break the offside-trap. However, despite all this, Allgeri doesn't go out all attacking, despite knowing Raineri is only looking for a draw. With Menez looking poor in the 1st half, Roma wouldn't even pose a threat if they would have attacked more, as he was think link between the midfield and attack with his creativity.

In the 2nd half, though, as you pointed out, it was great managing. Raineri knew that Milan were terrified of Menez, so he push the midfield further up on the pitch in order to not make the space between the midfield and the attack so huge as it was during the first half. Menez got more support from the midfield and he was smart enough to attack more on the right-side against a slow Antonini, and of course, he had no troubles with going past Antonini. Very smart management by Raineri - world class management right there. Even your goal came through Menez challenging Antonini and getting past him to serve Borriello, who with some luck, scored it.

Borriello is a great player and I will never forget how good he was last season. I would have loved to see him back at Milan... up until now. What he did at the end is something unforgiveable and I hope he never returns to Milanello. Right after he scored he celebrated his goal, which is something you shouldn't do (if you are normal, that is), so incase he would have been subbed-out, I foreseed he'd do something like he in the end did. Shame really, as I really wanted him to return back, but I guess that won't happen now.[/quote']

I wasn't implying that you lost total control in the midfield once Pirlo was taken off, what I meant was that they lost their way a bit. Gattuso was fantastic, however, as the game went on, you looked less and less threatening without Pirlo as Pirlo's absence suddenly changed the intensity of Milan's game, and the two banks of four we played with at times resulted in Seedorf lobbing a few hopeless balls into Ibra, which we would have welcomed all day long. As for the defence, they were all over the place in the first 10/15 minutes, when Ibra, Robinho and Boateng broke the offside-trap, however, after that, they were awesome, in my opinion.

I think the message he was sending out was, "I'm a Roma player now" ;):D

Anyway, Genoa-Sampdoria tonight, going to be a great game!