Official Serie A Thread

Guest Daragh

Re: The Official Serie A Thread

Being in top 16 of UCL doesn't say much to you does it ?

Just to refresh your memory a bit' date=' Olympiacos this year managed to win Spanish Champions (Atletico Madrid), Italian Champions (Juventus) and Swedish Champions (Malmo, yeah whatever). Not to mention last year's performances vs Man Utd at top 16.

And I don't even support the club just saying, think before you shoot.[/quote']

I'm talking about the quality of the whole league, nut just the top two.

Of the 18 teams last season, 11 had lower average home attendances than 2,000. The lowest average attendance in the MLS last season was Chivas USA with 7,063.

Also, using European competitions to justify your claim makes no real sense given that they can't be compared to the MLS.

Whilst it may only be attractive to bigger players due to money the big players that have come in to the division have really strengthened the division.

I'm not talking about the past, I'm talking about in this very moment. Yes, it might be due to the financial situation but regardless the MLS is stronger than the Greek League.

And no this isn't how I usually judge a league by its champion only' date=' although I can just mention what Greek NT has done.In fact we can do a comparison of what English & Greek National teams have achieved last 10 years any time you want. Or isn't this how you judge a league either ? By its NT?[/quote']

No, that's absolutely not how you judge a league. Definitely not by its national team.

I personally think the Greek League is better than the MLS, it is 13th on the UEFA coefficients, and some of its top teams are pretty good. But the rest of the teams aren't that good, and there are definitely MLS teams that could beat them. Beat Olympiacos, no, but beat OFI Crete, yes definitely.

Also, AC Milan is definitely NOT one of the top 10 clubs in Europe at the moment, it is barely top 10 in the Serie A. By history yes it is one of the top three clubs in Europe, but if we're talking right now, not even close.

I'm beginning to think my home town team is rolling in mulah...

Holy, We are really gunning for success after 5 years of mediocrity in the MLS.

Again no offence to MLS ( and I do pay attention to it), but surely Gio had offers at other Italian clubs? I question his ambition as a player and I feel He'll pull a Defoe where He'll be with us for a bit and then move on to a team of his country's origin.

Man, I still remember when people were pulling on Gio to be the next ADP. How the tides have changed.

If Gio doesn't do well in MLS, then I don't even know what to think.

We have pressing issues such as possibly trading, or moving on from Gilberto. Plus with Henry moving to West Ham, our CBs need to be upgraded.

MLS is a good league yes, but players like Gio, and Bradley have so much more in there career. Bradley imho could make any middle table team in any of the top leagues.

I would be perfectly fine when players that are in their 30s move to the MLS. Giovinco is in his "prime" age.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

So to summarise: Greek football is fecal matter.

Touche.Think you could say last 25 years or just say the entire history of ECs to push it even more :D

You will need a total amount of "x" samples in order to compare them with the total amount of "y" samples.Basic Math.No offense though' date=' I know you're kidding.

Of the 18 teams last season, 11 had lower average home attendances than 2,000. The lowest average attendance in the MLS last season was Chivas USA with 7,063.

My god. are you hearing what you're saying? Of course MLS can have more fans. Population of USA is around 320 mils while Greece's is around 11mils.No idea why I'm still here talking to you..

If you wanna make a comparison of this then you should just check the percentage (not the amount) of the fans in addition with the stadium capacity.Basic Math (again)

Calculate 7.000 fans while the average stadium capacity is 30.000/40.000, then come back and show me the magic number.

No' date=' that's absolutely not how you judge a league. Definitely not by its national team. [/quote']

Please go ahead and tell me how you judge a league then.

Quite simple really. You judge a league by the club sides that play within the league.

Blows your mind doesn't it.

Gather 10 Sheikhs in different Luxemburian clubs,give them 10 clubs,give them 2 years to build their clubs and in 2 years Luxemburg will be in top 5 football leagues of Europe.Is this how it goes?

My god. are you hearing what you're saying? Of course MLS can have more fans. Population of USA is around 320 mils while Greece's is around 11mils.No idea why I'm still here talking to you..

What are you talking about? We aren't judging leagues by how good they are per population' date=' we're judging the leagues.

Yes the population is another reason why the standard of the MLS is greater, but we're not debating the reasons, we're discussing which league is greater.

If you wanna make a comparison of this then you should just check the percentage (not the amount) of the fans in addition with the stadium capacity.Basic Math (again)

Calculate 7.000 fans while the average stadium capacity is 30.000/40.000, then come back and show me the magic number.

Again, there's just no denying that the MLS has greater support. It doesn't matter about how much of the ground is full, however there's no demand to increase the capacity of the grounds of any of the Greek League sides where as there are several MLS clubs that have average capacities of 95% plus (Philadelphia Union, Portland Timbers, Real Salt Lake, San Jose Earthquakes, Seattle Sounders, Sporting Kansas City, Toronto FC and Vancouver Whitecaps).

The national team and the league are two completely separate entities. However, the US currently have a greater national team than you do.

Again' date=' there's just no denying that the MLS has greater support[/b']. It doesn't matter about how much of the ground is full, however there's no demand to increase the capacity of the grounds of any of the Greek League sides where as there are several MLS clubs that have average capacities of 95% plus (Philadelphia Union, Portland Timbers, Real Salt Lake, San Jose Earthquakes, Seattle Sounders, Sporting Kansas City, Toronto FC and Vancouver Whitecaps)..

Guess why these teams can drop these numbers.Because there are more people living in those cities!

If OFI Crete has around 5.000 fans per week while the city of the club has a total amount of 50.000 people then pretty much all of the citizens will have to go to the stadium in order to have an average capacity of 95%.Get it?

The national team and the league are two completely separate entities.

I'll repeat tell me how you judge a league because obviously I don't know how to do it.

However' date=' the US currently have a greater national team than you do.[/quote']

Based on what ?

Because you say so, or do you actually have an explanation for this?They haven't even face each others last years, how can you say this ?

Man' date=' I'm not going to explain it any further as most guys here are probably too young to remember what Panathinaikos or even AEK(Div 2 atm) have done the previous years in both UCL and Europa League.

All I'm asking is show some respect to clubs and countries with history (small-big doesn't really matter) that struggle these days because of reasons that far exceed football and have to do with politics and economy crisis (going out of line here i know).

And this also goes for the people who judge the current level of Serie A .I see people here making fun of clubs like Milan or Inter about their latest performances and I'm sick of it.Clubs with such a big history.And don't just say "they might know their history all they do is judging their current form" cause do you think it will take much for this guy who said this bull#t about Greece, to say that "Milan wouldn't survive in MLS"? Well, no it wouldn't.

While, Milan is one of the top 10 clubs in Europe atm like it or not (yeah I said it).Don't just judge a club by its players, the financial situation and the league position cause this isn't how it goes.This is what you guys call [i']modern football[/i].

And no this isn't how I usually judge a league by its champion only, although I can just mention what Greek NT has done.In fact we can do a comparison of what English & Greek National teams have achieved last 10 years any time you want. Or isn't this how you judge a league either ? By its NT?

I'm 33....

The national team has nothing to do with the strength of a League....

What teams have done in the distant past has nothing to do with the here and now....

I judge the strength of the League by the strength of the teams in it, Olympiakos are a decent side other than that there ain't much in Greek Football...stick the teams in the Greek League in other European top flight leagues and most of them would struggle big time.

Having a dig at England ain't endorsing your own league....

Guess why these teams can drop these numbers.Because there are more people living in those cities!

If OFI Crete has around 5.000 fans per week while the city of the club has a total amount of 50.000 people then pretty much all of the citizens will have to go to the stadium in order to have an average capacity of 95%.Get it?

I get the point your making' date=' it's just not a valid one.

I'll repeat tell me how you judge a league because obviously I don't know how to do it.

On the quality of all the teams in the league.

Based on what ?

Because you say so' date=' or do you actually have an explanation for this?They haven't even face each others last years, how can you say this ?[/quote']

No, they've not played each other recently but the US were more impressive at the World Cup and at this moment in time the Greek National Team are sitting at the bottom of their Euro 2016 qualifying group.

What teams have done in the distant past has nothing to do with the here and now....

"The basis for the UEFA coefficients is the performance of teams in the European Cups during a five year period[...]"

You're right history has nothing to do with the here and now.I have no idea what I was thinking.

Based on what ?

Because you say so' date=' or do you actually have an explanation for this?They haven't even face each others last years, how can you say this ?[/quote']

No' date=' they've not played each other recently but the US were more impressive at the World Cup[/b']

stewie_gun_mouth.jpg

Germany looks pretty impressive & solid atm.Why don't we just give them the 2018 WC, right away?

"The basis for the UEFA coefficients is the performance of teams in the European Cups during a five year period[...]"

You're right history has nothing to do with the here and now.I have no idea what I was thinking.

Five years is a long time in football, things change mate......

Five years is a long time in football' date=' things change mate......[/quote']
On this day 5 years ago' date=' Southampton were 13th in League 1. Today they're 3rd in the Premier League.

You are bringing up the past, the discussion is about the present.[/quote']

In order to calculate your today's/current/2015/ club position,what you have to calculate is the performance of the team in the European Cups during a five year period.

Bolded and Underlined.

In order to calculate your today's/current/2015/ club position' date='what you have to calculate is the performance of the team in the European Cups during a five year period.

Bolded and Underlined.[/quote']

Well they can hardly base it on future performances. Don't see what your point is here, you're merely pointing out the current seeding system.

Well they can hardly base it on future performances. Don't see what your point is here' date=' you're merely pointing out the current seeding system.[/quote']

The point is this :

The better the last 5 years performances, the better the club's position one year by now!

Of course it is the current seeding system what do you want them to do get a crystal ball and calculate Man Utd's points for 2016 ?

The point is this :

The better the last 5 years performances' date=' the better the club's position one year by now!

Of course it is the current seeding system what do you want them to do get a crystal ball and calculate Man Utd's points for 2016 ?[/quote']

Where did I suggest a change?

Still missing your actual point, other than confirming the current seeding system.

What does it actually have to do with how a team performs at present?

Where did I suggest a change?

Still missing your actual point' date=' other than confirming the current seeding system.

What does it actually have to do with how a team performs at present?[/quote']

I had no arguments with you it has to do with them keep on saying that history has nothing to do with the current clubs position.I've said it so many times, that the current clubs position has to do with their current history.

End of story.I'm too tired for this B)

Do you have to be so obtuse on purpose? You judge a league based on the quality of the teams in the league and the competitiveness of the league as a whole.

If you judge it based on the NT' date=' then the Brazilian and Argentinian leagues must be far superior compared to the Premier League shouldn't it. :rolleyes:

Gather 10 Sheikhs in different Luxemburian clubs,give them 10 clubs,give them 2 years to build their clubs and in 2 years Luxemburg will be in top 5 football leagues of Europe.Is this how it goes?

Yeah nope. This is just getting worse.

Based on what ?

Well, the US have performed better compared to Greece in recent international tournaments, so there's that.

Capacity of OFI Crete's stadium: 8500

Population of Crete: 620,000 as of 2011

So only 1.3% of the population need to turn up to fill the stadium. Not exactly 95% is it.

By history, this means a longer history. What you're saying about Panathinaikos or AC Milan etc is history that is from at least a decade ago, which has no relevance for anything.

Basically, you get more and more desperate as your argument continues and resort to pulling numbers out of thin air, making yourself look more and more ignorant and your points more invalid.

Do you have to be so obtuse on purpose? You judge a league based on the quality of the teams in the league and the competitiveness of the league as a whole.
Gather 10 Sheikhs in different Luxemburian clubs' date='give them 10 clubs,give them 2 years to build their clubs and in 2 years Luxemburg will be in top 5 football leagues of Europe.Is this how it goes?[/quote']
Yeah nope. This is just getting worse.

Hold the phone then' date=' if you judge a league based on the quality of the team and the competiveness of the league then tell me why the example of Seikhs in Luxemburg is out of place.No seriously, hypothetically speaking..

The quality of the teams in Luxemburg would be great,right? You know, since every team would have an annual budget of lets say 200-300m.

And the competitiveness (not competiveness) will be at top-level too, since you have so many world class players playing with each others,and teams would probably do great in UCL and Europa.And don't tell me that World-class players wouldn't join a league for money.

So in about 2 years by then Luxemburgian league would be considered as a major league.Well this isn't how I judge clubs and nations.But this conversation can't go anywhere so let's just drop this already.Agree to disagree.

Well, the US have performed better compared to Greece in recent international tournaments, so there's that.

Capacity of OFI Crete's stadium: 8500

Population of Crete: 620,000 as of 2011

So only 1.3% of the population need to turn up to fill the stadium. Not exactly 95% is it.

First of all bravo for getting in so much trouble finding these numbers for me, it makes me feel so special.Although since I live in Crete I kinda knew about these numbers already but never mind.Thanks again (no irony).

Gotta say, you cared enough to google the population of Crete and compare it with the capacity of OFI Crete's stadium but you didn't care enough to ask yourself this question:

Are people willing to take planes and boats every single week in order to see a football game ?

You might as well compare the Population of USA (320m) and Portland's stadium capacity (lets say 30.000seats) and then tell me that in order for it to be full, the percentage of the citizens that will have to go in addition with the total population of USA will be 0.001% of the population to fill the stadium.This is very realistic. I believe Philadelphians would be more than pleased to travel to Portland for a football game.If you want this to be realistic what you had to do is find the biggest city around OFI Crete called "Heraklion" (not the population of whole Crete), and then make the comparison.Plus Crete has currently 3 football clubs playing in Div 1 (OFI Crete,Ergotelis & Platanias) so don't expect 620.00 persons to support OFI, there are other clubs around too.

But your opinion fails anyway,cause OFI Crete has actually around 6.000/7000 fans every week (while the club is broke and about to fall down to Div 3) which in comparison with the stadium's capacity (8.500) goes around 70%-80% which is a pretty decent number right?

By history' date=' this means a longer history. What you're saying about Panathinaikos or AC Milan etc is history that is from at least a decade ago, which has no relevance for anything.[/quote']

I used Milan and Panathinaikos as an example don't stick to it for that long!I'll just say it one more time (hope it will be the last one).They said that the current position of the club has nothing to do with history, I said (using the official source of UEFA)that the current clubs position has to do with the performance of the clubs in the European cups during a five year period(history).No matter if the club is Greek,Italian or Luxembourgian.

Basically' date=' you get more and more desperate as your argument continues and resort to pulling numbers out of thin air, [b']making yourself look more and more ignorant[/b] and your points more invalid.

Ik tell me about it. I've managed to gather up 10 rep points from this page from people who haven't comment but actually agree with me. Not that I give a s#t about reps, just saying..And I didn't pull numbers ouf of thin air, I used the official numbers of UEFA to make my words more realistic.

Just so you know I won't wait for anybody here to say "you're right Im sorry" cause lets face it, nobody's going to do this.