Player Concerns - increase rate of change

Currently a players level of concern changes very slowly (ie from level 1 to level 2 in one whole season, more or less).

This is way too slow and encourages hoarding of players - and managers dont bother about properly managing players concerns using squad rotation, etc. In one of my gameworlds a manager has 8 players on level 3 concern, and 2 players on level 4. But he still doesn't bother playing them because he knows he has got at least one more full season, and can then sell them later on, so he sits on the players hoping their rating might go up or something in the meantime. :mad:

To me, this is bad management, and lack of proper gameplay.

I think SM should look to have a players level of concern change twice per season - this will get managers rotating more if their squads are big, and using all their players, also it'll make them make sure they're more involved, and cautious with their player purchases and sales.

Thoughts?:confused:

• 1 month later...

Re: Player Concerns - increase rate of change

you are right

i have a player who is level 2 concern and drop to level 1 back in april... and he still stuck at level 1 in november... despite i play him regular and now is almost december and is more than 2 seasons in the game already...

i thought it was a bug at first... but it happens to all my teams in different setups... the concern thing is simply dis-functioning and serve no purpose IMO

so when will my player get level 0? clear?!?!

Regarding the first post, there was a bug of some kind that was holding up player concerns. Most people will have noticed these have resumed. I believe the speed is also being ramped up as it was perceived to be a little slow, even when working. It used to be intended for once every three months (ish) so now it should be updating quicker than this (by how much? We will have to wait and see).

i had a player rise from level 2 to level 3 today even though it's the close season !!!!

still a few bugs with this bit of code.

I don't think this is a bug. The concerns are reviewed at intervals that may or may not fall within the close season.

If the player wanted 75% of games and had achieved this at the end of the season' date=' whether his review took place at the end of the season, the close season, or the start of the new season makes little difference.

I had one player go straight from 1 to 3, is this usual??

No, are you sure? Report it as a bug if you are. If SM tell you this is not a bug (i.e. deliberate) then I would be interested to know. Drop me a PM if you would?

People need to be able to plan ahead and have a realistic opportunity of selling a player for a decent value' date=' this would take that away.[/quote']

Not sure I follow this point really, sorry. How are people denied the opportunity to sell players at a decent value?

Not sure I follow this point really, sorry. How are people denied the opportunity to sell players at a decent value?

Sorry if I wasn't clear, my point is if player concerns rise quicker you will be forced to sell quicker and maybe fail to get decent value.

For instance if the rate of increase in concern rose someone might decide to sell a player when they got to level 3 or 4 thinking they had reasonable time to sell for a decent value (instead of minimum amount with requested transfers at level 5) when in fact they don't! It's about transparency of how the 'concern system' works as well for me.

I've listed Mata for one of my teams as he's recently reached level 3 which I have no problem with (as it's my fault for not playing him enough) I believe I have a reasonable amount of time to get decent value for him due to the current rate of increase and the amount of time I will be able to have him on the transfer list this translates into. If the rate of increase rose however I would need to adjust my plans and revise my current attitude of selling at level 3 and think about making my decisions sooner, i.e. level 2 (don't necessarily agree with this as I don't believe a level 2 out of 5 should necessarily ring alarms bells but that's what this thread is suggesting in my eyes)

This shouldn't be sprung on people this is my main point as people need to be aware of how the system works and my main reservation with the 'concern system' is that I don't feel a change will be communicated to us (i.e. there's so many examples of people confused with what's happening with the levels of their players and intervals in which concerns are updated) Personally I'm just starting to get used to how it currently works so propose it's left alone.

Sorry if that point is laboured, couldn't articulate it better.

P.S. Thanks for Cacau in EC 2 :)

Not sure I follow this point really' date=' sorry. How are people denied the opportunity to sell players at a decent value?[/quote']

Sorry if I wasn't clear, my point is if player concerns rise quicker you will be forced to sell quicker and maybe fail to get decent value.

For instance if the rate of increase in concern rose someone might decide to sell a player when they got to level 3 or 4 thinking they had reasonable time to sell for a decent value (instead of minimum amount with requested transfers at level 5) when in fact they don't! It's about transparency of how the 'concern system' works as well for me.

I've listed Mata for one of my teams as he's recently reached level 3 which I have no problem with (as it's my fault for not playing him enough) I believe I have a reasonable amount of time to get decent value for him due to the current rate of increase and the amount of time I will be able to have him on the transfer list this translates into. If the rate of increase rose however I would need to adjust my plans and revise my current attitude of selling at level 3 and think about making my decisions sooner, i.e. level 2 (don't necessarily agree with this as I don't believe a level 2 out of 5 should necessarily ring alarms bells but that's what this thread is suggesting in my eyes)

This shouldn't be sprung on people this is my main point as people need to me aware of how the system works and my main reservation with the 'concern system' is that I don't feel a change will be communicated to us (i.e. there's so many examples of people confused with what's happening with the levels of their players and intervals in which concerns are updated) Personally I'm just starting to get used to how it currently works so propose it's left alone.

Sorry if that point is laboured, couldn't articulate it better.

P.S. Thanks for Cacau in EC 2 :)

I don't know if your in GC1 or not but Meier has just gone for 16 million after reaching level 5, which is argubly far more than hes really worth considering his rating of 87.

there is definitely a bit of a bug, or some things about this that need to be improved. I'll give an example to illistrate my point.

muller was rated 88, and being young and in a top team, was happy to wait his time, get loaned out etc.. without developing concerns. this is how it should be. however he got a rate rise just yesterday, and then immediately develops concerns becuase of lack of play... surely the counting should only start after his rate rise? now that he's good enough for 1st team play, he would get games, but now he has concernes, he wont play so good, and becomes a liability. my preference is to sell valencia or sessignon, but as the season draws on i want to keep up the momentum and push for the league, with muller unhappy i'm not inclined to play him..... so you see my issue.

another thing - just a question, if anyone knows the answer would be cool.

with players developing concernes quicker, do they also lose those concernes quicker - use to be you could play a level 1 concerned plyer virtually a whole season before the concernes would go - is this still the case? or can you resolve the issue as quickly as you get them?

Some proper data on this from SM would be nice, how is it calculated etc.. so that we know better how to balance our selections.

We dont have the benefit of talking to players or being in the dressing room like a real manager, so we dont know what those players expect from us - some kind of table or outlining guide would be of great benefit so that we can better manage our players.

If one exists, then appreciate being pointed in the right direction as i could not find anything like it.

I'm all in favour of concernes, think it's the best way to stimulate transfer's and stop 1/2 or 3 teams hogging EVERY top player - which i have seen in some GW's. However, it is necessary to maintain about 20 1st team players (allowing for cups and injuries) + youth, and a guide as to what expectations players have would be very beneficial.

Also, another question - when a player evalution is done, are cup games and smfa games considered in his game time? or is it only league games?

often i use cup games and smfa games as a chance to give my 90/91 rated players game time, while keeping the real quality for league games, so knowing all the factors that apply would be very helpful here.

there is definitely a bit of a bug' date=' or some things about this that need to be improved. I'll give an example to illistrate my point.

muller was rated 88, and being young and in a top team, was happy to wait his time, get loaned out etc.. without developing concerns. this is how it should be. however he got a rate rise just yesterday, and then immediately develops concerns becuase of lack of play... surely the counting should only start after his rate rise? now that he's good enough for 1st team play, he would get games, but now he has concernes, he wont play so good, and becomes a liability. my preference is to sell valencia or sessignon, but as the season draws on i want to keep up the momentum and push for the league, with muller unhappy i'm not inclined to play him..... so you see my issue.

another thing - just a question, if anyone knows the answer would be cool.

with players developing concernes quicker, do they also lose those concernes quicker - use to be you could play a level 1 concerned plyer virtually a whole season before the concernes would go - is this still the case? or can you resolve the issue as quickly as you get them?

Some proper data on this from SM would be nice, how is it calculated etc.. so that we know better how to balance our selections.

We dont have the benefit of talking to players or being in the dressing room like a real manager, so we dont know what those players expect from us - some kind of table or outlining guide would be of great benefit so that we can better manage our players.

If one exists, then appreciate being pointed in the right direction as i could not find anything like it.

I'm all in favour of concernes, think it's the best way to stimulate transfer's and stop 1/2 or 3 teams hogging EVERY top player - which i have seen in some GW's. However, it is necessary to maintain about 20 1st team players (allowing for cups and injuries) + youth, and a guide as to what expectations players have would be very beneficial.

Also, another question - when a player evalution is done, are cup games and smfa games considered in his game time? or is it only league games?

often i use cup games and smfa games as a chance to give my 90/91 rated players game time, while keeping the real quality for league games, so knowing all the factors that apply would be very helpful here.[/quote']

Firstly agree about your 'Muller bug', I've had that with van der Wiel in a few teams (and wouldn't be surprised to suffer the same with Muller too soon...) It is surely something which needs to be looked at with the recent high risers, when these players were rated 88 in teams where the average rating is 94 they surely can't expect to get a look in with the first team?!

Secondly I opened a thread not so long a go about whether concerns effected peformance (and managing concerns) it's in General Help if you want to have a look but the general consensus, from the replies, was that there was no evidence it adversely effected performance as you might expect, i.e. I have Pato out on loan and he's been immense for them and he's at level 2 concern about being out on loan. Whilst I've had a lot of players with concerns play cup games and progress all the way!

Good point about rate of decrease being quickened also, you would assume so if it works for increasing concerns it should work when decreasing them. I agree we could do with clarification on this...

And I also think that last point you made needs some clarification from SM about the effects of cup comps on concerns too. I'd be inclined to think domestic cups DO but SMFA cups DON'T but thats just my gut feeling. SMFA games don't effect fitness so you'd think they won't effect concerns but I could be wrong here as it's an assumption.

Again your questions show me the lack of understanding regarding concerns for the general SM user (your not alone and include myself in this!) and why I believe quickening the rate of concerns even more isn't a good idea atm when people aren't sure about the current system and how to cope with it!

My thread regarding concerns, performance effects and managing through loans:

http://forum.soccermanager.com/showthread.php?t=75602

In GC worlds it is usually not possible to buy good players for money. You have to buy young risers and wait for them to become good. The problem is that there is a time when many of them are 22-24 years old and slowly becoming regulars. We know that SM increases ratings slowly and for many leagues there is only once increase in a year. That means that with many talents you will need to have the patience to wait more than a year until they can really help your team.

There simply aren't enough good players in the game for 100-200 managers in one game world. If you want good players you really have to work for them. This is the way GCs work.

Now if these players get upset even faster it won't be possible to scout your own players because unless they rise to a very high level before they turn 22 they will get upset and leave. For me the current setting may even be too fast, i am not sure yet.

Guest SM Dev (Ste)

If those of you who have posted questions could please have a read of this help article to see if you can find the answers. Any answers to your questions that you cannot find, please feel free to let me know or alternatively use the 'Was this information useful?' to provide feedback to Support and we will update the article accordingly.

If those of you who have posted questions could please have a read of this help article to see if you can find the answers. Any answers to your questions that you cannot find' date=' please feel free to let me know or alternatively use the 'Was this information useful?' to provide feedback to Support and we will update the article accordingly.[/quote']

Only got one question really :P

Why these concerns which appear to be really inconsistent rather than a squad cap?

How long does it take to get rid of player concerns. I bought two players that both have lack of game concerns. So far, I have played them in almost every match, half way through the season they are till concerned about their lack of games.

Shouldn't player concerns be zeroed when they transfer, certainly if their rating is above team average or in this case, my best player!

Does it affect the way he plays on the field?

Guest SM Dev (Ste)

Only got one question really :P

Why these concerns which appear to be really inconsistent rather than a squad cap?

Not really related to what I asked Simon and that's a different topic altogether.

How long does it take to get rid of player concerns.

We wont give any specific figures as this would make it far to easy to play the system.

Shouldn't player concerns be zeroed when they transfer' date=' certainly if their rating is above team average or in this case, my best player![/quote']

Concerns can stay with players across seasons. They are automatically removed when they transfer clubs.

Does it affect the way he plays on the field

This is covered in the help article under Impact on Morale.

So either I play him to get rid of his concerns, but his performance will be affected, or I don't play him and his concerns get worse.

Surely when a player joins a new club, his concerns of the previous one should not come with him. Totally different club, manager and team. He should be happy someone has bought him and only be concerned if he sits on the bench at his new team.

Surely when a player joins a new club, his concerns of the previous one should not come with him. Totally different club, manager and team. He should be happy someone has bought him and only be concerned if he sits on the bench at his new team.

Yes this is correct and what happens. All player concerns are removed when they move club as the concerns they had were with the previous club and/or manager.

Any plans to bring back wage concerns?

I liked this idea as just as playing concerns, its a back door way of keeping squad sizes to a better level.

Do the powers at SM consider it fair to allow 250+ man squads still?

You can get round playing concerns by scooping up all the youngsters to build a 250+ man squad

In line with the speed of player concerns rising, is the speed that players are to lose their concerns also due to be addressed?

I have had Pique since he was a 90 rated player. He has played 3 complete seasons as first choice CB and yet still houses concerns which has gradually seen his morale dropping... something I am aware has an impact on his performance!!

give me some details of a squad cap and i will tell you exactly why squad caps are useless in fighting player hogging.

Without wanting to get on yet another end of your very opinionated self :) & also without wishing to debate a completely off topic point... I ask, in pure simplicity, that if I had a squad of 120 players and was not allowed to buy a player until (in the first instance) I cut the squad to less than 100... Then when the first unmanaged teams players became available for pillaging and I couldn't bid for a 92+ player(s)... personally, I would be selling 20+ of my 'hogged' players (and thereafter more when the squad cap kicked in even further) to assure that my first team was not losing out to other managers who could make such bids...

However, maybe you have a different take??

Guest SM Dev (Ste)

I am arsenal' date=' and my 70 rated ARDILES, Roberto is has a concern, what a joke considering the players higher than him that i haven't played yet:eek:[/quote']

The concern you are referring to is 'Concerned about the lack of first team opportunities'. This is covered in the help article that I provided a link for. He is your 19th choice AM (discounting the players that you have out on loan and if they were included would make him 21st choice), is 23-years old and has rightly developed this concern.