Who are you? - the forumers interviews

Smartdoc

Re: Who are you? - the forumers interviews

★Rуααη★ is a lifelong Man United fan who you can usually find posting in a lot of the fun parts of the forum. Here's his interview:

What team do you support and how long have you supported them?

Man United and pretty much since I was born.

Why do you follow this team?

Well if I'd have wanted to support another team (which i don't ;D.) then my dad wouldn't have let me. The first shirt I ever wore was a little Cantona one that hangs on my wall today. I don't class myself as a glory supporter but other people may have a different opinion.

Who is your favourite player (current and/or all time)?

My favourite current player is Macheda. Mainly because his goal against Villa was the best ever moment I've seen at Old Trafford.

Which match do you recall most fondly?

Manchester United 3-2 Aston Villa. That was easily the best moment I've seen at Old Trafford. The delight in the stadium when Macheda pulled out that finish was mental.

Which is your favourite SM team currently and why?

Grimsby. I took them from Division 4 to Divison 1 but then quit SM and lost them due to inactivity. I re-took them over recently and they'd been raided but that left me with a healthy budget to spend.

What do you consider your greatest SM achievement?

Taking Grimsby from Divison 4 to Divison 1. I had a small budget poor players and I still have a poor stadium. I really love this team <3

What do you like and dislike about SM?

I like that it's free to play and it's similar to Football Manager but without the cost. Building dream-teams is also very very fun.

I dislike losing to unmanaged team with poor fitness and playing a 4-4-2 although this is less of a problem now ;D.

What is your favourite past-time?

I love playing football. My team usually goes unbeaten each season and the boys are a laugh. Aside from that it'd be just going out with friends and stuff.

What sort of music do you like?

Anything really as long as it's not old, classical or opera. My main likes are Rap Hip-Hop Dubstep Drum N Bass and other things.

I like listening to Pendulum a lot at the minute. My favourite artist is Tinie Tempah and I think his albums pretty slick.

If you could be a star in any movie (character/actor), who would you be and why?

I'd be Marc Bellison from the Invention Of Lying. I don't think the films great but it'd be great to be able to lie with everyone believing every word you say ;D.

Who is your ideal date?

abbey-clancy.jpg

I think Abby Clancy is stunning and would be the ideal date for me xD. I really don't know why Peter Crouch would want to cheat on her with a hooker :o And I'd soon get used to the accent :L

What do you do now in real life and where do you see yourself in 5 years time? I just go to school and all that. In 5 years I hope to be in college or Uni.

Why have Man U been so successful in recent years?

What's the main factors in your eyes? Obviously theres the Fergie factor. He's a class manager who pushes us above teams with better teams then us. Then theres the attraction of joining Man United the biggest club in the world. Theres a lot of reasons why Man United have been successful and I can't see them not being Successful for a loooooooong time.

What sort of person are you in real life?

A dare-devil xD. If somebody dares me to do something I usually do it. I'm not really scared of getting into trouble. I'm usually quite polite unless someone says something bad about Man U :L

If you had one wish granted to you, what would you wish for?

I'd wish for unlimited wishes.

You have Macheda as your favourtie player on your bio. How far can he go and will Man U be able to keep him long-term?

I think he can go as far as he wants but it depends if he wants to stick the effort in. He has the raw talent but whether he's willing to try hard enough to become one the best around is up to him. I hope Man U will be able to keep him long-term as he has the potential to one the greats at this club.

So likes to live life on the edge and also likes to have a joke and a laugh most of the time. would love it if we all believed everyting he said even if he was being selective with the truth :)

Next up will be a Real Madrid fan who likes to pay homage to Gonzalo Higuain in his own way on the forum.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Higgy is a Madrid fan who dabbles in several parts ofthe forum. Offers advice on all things football and a staunch defender of his side, here's his interview:

Real Madrid, been following them since I can remember.

I started supporting Real Madrid after my uncle, who lives in Huertas, bought me a Real Madrid jersey since he supports them too. Then I went to Madrid a few years back and went to a game and that was all it took for me to become a life-long Madridista!

Currently, I'd have to say Iker Casillas. All time has to be Fernando Redondo, "The tactically perfect player". The man was so complete, elegant, tactically aware and classy. The best defensive midfielder ever to play the game in my opinion. I also love how he used to refuse wages when injury prevented him from playing.

9PNFpayoUD8

Egypt 2-0 Algeria last November, Egypt needed a victory with a 2 goal difference to force a play off and go one step closer to qualifying for the world cup. Stadium was so packed and the atmosphere was amazing. Egypt took an early lead, but the Algeria keeper managed keep it at 1-0 on several occasions.. until it was the 95th minute and everyone was losing faith when Meteb banged in the winner to force the play off and I remember the stadium absolutely exploding!

_6J6Pu3TYuQ

Valencia in GC 116 would have to be my favourite team at the moment, they were my first big side in a Gold Championship and I really like the squad I've managed to put together. Which has a lot of my favourite players including the likes of Xavi, Fernando Llorente, Azpilicueta, Ramires and more. My first season in charge also saw them finish second in the league and Shield and Champions of the Copa del Rey. I also really like the setup as it's filled with forumers.

My greatest SM achievement would probably be turning English Championship 5579 into such a famous set-up. After failing to get into English Championship 106 time after time, I thought why not try and turn another set-up into a forumer filled championship and I have to say I never expected it to be as successful as it is today.

I like how simple the game is and I also think their rating system is great. What I dislike about SM is the constant creation of Gold Championships and the fact that all of the Gold Championships are 'reserve' GC's, which has seen them loose their value recently. Player concerns also annoy me, as I love building big squads and player concerns always give me a selection headache when setting my tactics.

I have many, playing football, going out to the cinema, traveling.. Although my favorite would have to be going to an Ahwa with my mates for some Shisha. :D

Trance and progressive, Trance is the epitome of music. There are moments of euphoria, moments of sorrow, moments of power; all sorts of possible moments. It has all the elements that make music desirable.

If you could be a star in any movie (character/actor), who would you be and why?

David Rice from Jumper.

Who is your ideal date?

Alizee Jacotey :D

b9b83e9b_htf_imgcache_34635.gif

What do you do now in real life and where do you see yourself in 5 years time?

I'm currently in my final year of school, so I can see myself finishing University in 5 years from now.

Which three words would you use to best describe your personality?

I hate describing myself, but I'd say Lazy, sarcastic and outspoken.

Arguably, it's been a lean spell for Madrid in terms of trophies. Is Mourinho the man to bring major succeses back to the Bernabeau and are the fans taking to him?

I do think Mourinho is the one to bring success back to Madrid. Mourinho is definitely giving us a team that want to scores goals as well as defend leads. I've been pleasantly surprised so far. I do like that there is a much clearer approach to our defence as well. More importantly, I hope that Mourinho fulfills his 4 year contract and gives us the stability we need for success, this team is so young and so promising. I think there actually is smart management going on for once in Madrid. In 2012 the spending cap is going to start to take effect. We've done massive investments to have a great squad now and for the future ahead of it so we don't realize we'll have to perform a generation switch with a spending cap hovering over our heads.

If the side start to get the results quickly in terms of titles Mourinho'll have a ready built dynasty for 10 years to come with just minor tweaks every summer.

Success this season though? I'm not so confident, I do have hopes but I wouldn't call us winners of anything just yet.

If I had one wish it would be to find a cure for cancer.

Who will be the next side other than Barcelona or Real Madrid winning La Liga and how soon do you see it happening? Who is the emerging side?

Villarreal in my opinion, I wouldn't say they are world class, but they sure can play. They are probably the 2nd best possession side in the league and they know how to create opportunities. They've got a very good squad together. Nilmar is so quick, so sharp and he and Rossi are both great goalscorers. Cazorla is also fantastic.

Not sure how soon, but I definitely see them as title contenders in the next few seasons. Had Pellegrini continued with them and built on their great 2007-2008 season when they finished as runner-ups ahead of Barca, then I feel they could have been champions much sooner.

So likes lazing around and relaxing with some friends over some Shisha. Also very positive about Madrid's future long-term :)

Next will be the only forumer I'm aware of with the Morroccan flag as his avatar. Find out why in his interview.

najduch5 is perhaps one of our lesser known members of the forum, but is becoming quite a regular poster. Here's his interview:

Bury FC, I have supported them since I was a kid.

Glory Supporer :rolleyes: Naa, im joking obviously, well as a kid my dada would take me to odd games to see them play, tbh i used to go just for the food B) but as i got older and more "into" football i started wanting to go to see the mighty Bury FC play. And the simple fact is, lower league football is much more interesting and exciting than top flight football, I enjoy watching teams in the Championship, League 1 and 2. You have more of a feeling or a connection with the club rather than spending £30mill on a player who you send out on loan to Santos ;).

Well I really like watching Gareth Bale at the moment, he is so electrifying with a football, that hat-rick he scores against Inter put my jaw on the floor.

On the TV would have to be United beating Roma 7-1 :eek:. I went to the toilet and missed two goals :D. A great game i went to watch was about two seasons ago when Bury were flying at the top of the league but we missed out on promotion by just one goal :mad:. We went into the play-offs and were faced with Shrewsbury. We beat them down there but when it came to us being at home again our defence could with stand an attack a sloppy defending allowed them to score. But back on subject Bury just attacked and attacked all game, how wasnt it 5 or 6, chance after chance flew across goal and with a near capacity crowd a great atmosphere.

My favourite would have to be a Real Madrid in a custom setup. When i took them over they were in the bottom division and i bought lots of players and now have an average rating of 96. Another team i like is my Brighton side, almost finished the first season but im already champions of div4 23points clear. I feel some excitment when it comes to game day with them.

Achieving promotion from division 4 as mentioned in my last answer

I like the competitivness of it and the thinking side to it. Plus i always enjoy when a good setup comes along. I dislike the new transfer system where if you p/e a player you have to pay more, its put me off taking over new teams.

Music downloading, and relaxing with mates is always good as well.

I like everything, literaly, from charts to oldies, ill listen to anything, i have 1346! songs on my phone.

I'm not too sure about this one, it would have to be tom cruise in any of his Misson Impossible films, love them.

Who is your ideal date?

Vida-Guerra-02.jpg

Vida Guerra :eek:

At the moment i sit and do nothing most days but i like to go out from time to time, in five year time id like to see myself earning £200,000 a year :rolleyes: nice car, nice house. Everybodies dream.

What's your personality like and is it different in real life compared to your forum personality?

Id say its pretty much the same, cheerful, happy, i enjoy life.

Bury have been on the cusp on promotion for a few seasons now. Have the fans spirits dampened after narrowly missing out in 08/09 and then fading from a good position in the second half of last season?

The fans spirits havent dampened, we just think that the manager, Alan Knill, make some wierd decisions like he is reluctant to chance his tactic during a game, for example always like for like substitutions and they always seem to happen on exactly 70mins, its difficult for a sub to change the game in 20mins.

An infinite amount of wishes......:D

Your avatar proudly displays a Morrocco flag. What's the connection and do you think Morrocco can make it big internationally in the near future?

Well i have quite a mixed background, my mums Morocain, my dads Polish, i was born in England. Morocco have some very good players like Chamakh who plays at Arsenal and El Hamdouai who plays for Ajax but they never play together. There abit like England, very much underachievers.

So a happy-go-lucky guy who has quite a mixed range of football interests and is hoping to be earning a six figure salary some time in the future :)

Next up will be someone who you really can't afford to get in the bad books of, if you want a future on the forum or SM.

SM Dev (Ste) is along with SM Dev (John), the devlopment team's voice on the forum. One of the people behind this great game and someone who always peruses numerous threads on the forum. Here's a little bit about him:

I don't really 'root' for any team per-se. However, I grew up (due to one side of my family being Liverpudlians and lifelong Evertonians) following The Toffees and I still have a soft spot for them.

That being said I follow a lot of football and I am happy to watch most teams irrespective of how they are or which league/country they are from.

I did follow Everton for family reasons (as above), but I wouldn't actually say that I follow them or any particular team.

Xavier Hernández Creus.

He never really receives the credit that he deserves (and I think this article exemplifies that) as he pulls the strings for both club and country.

Everton v Wimbledon - 1994 (due to actually being at the match).

Mainly due to what was at stake. The ground was charged with emotion and i'll always remember people around me crying at half time with Everton trailing 2-1. However, they managed to turn the game around and were very fortunate to escape relegation.

I can't reveal which team(s) I have (otherwise people will never deal with me and will always be suspicious of my results - that might not be correct, but i'm getting more sceptical with age), but needless to say a handful of people (who know which team(s) I have) will have a pretty good idea which is my favourite.

Probably winning the SMFA Cup with my favourite team (due to what they were like when I first took control of them).

What do you consider to be the strengths of SM and what aspects do you feel could still be improved?

We are (I think and someone can correct me if I am wrong) the only online football manager game that use real-life player ratings and I believe this makes us unique (again correct me if I am wrong).

This encourages a manager to be there own scout and also leads them to watching and following leagues that they'd never followed or had an interest in before.

However, we know the game is nowhere near what we'd like it to be and we are continually striving to try and make it better (as well as keeping it free) all the time.

As sad as it sounds, gardening. I really enjoy planting and watching my fruit/veg growing and home grown food tastes a lot different to what you get in the supermarkets (i'm still fighting with my wife to allow me to get a chicken coop)! However, a lot of the other past-time that I did have (like golf) I don't have time for any more since my daughter was born a few years ago (as now I dedicate the majority of my spare time to her).

From yesteryear Bob Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel, John Lennon, Queen etc to the more modern Stereophonics, Oasis etc. However, I am happy to listen to most music.

Who is your ideal date?

My knowledge of celeberties is very limited as I rarely watch reality programmes or read tabloid newspapers, therefore I wouldn't be giving an honest answer if I answered this question.

Watch football in an office whilst playing online games all day.

What sort of person are you in real life and what are your best personality traits?

I live up to my star sign, Taurus, and my wife would vouch for this. However, she always says I am one of the most generous people she has met and that I would do anything for anyone and always put them before myself.

What was the inspiration behind the creation of SM and could you ever imagine it becoming so successful in the early years?

We've all grown up playing various football management games and there are aspects of each one that we all like/dislike. Due to this we thought we would try and create one based on what we liked from the various football management games that we've played in the past.

As for success it depends on what you would deem as 'success'? However, the site wouldn't be around now if it wasn't for our excellent community who have helped to keep the site going.

I'll give a cheap cheesy answer and say more wishes.

What be your fix for England's woes on the international scene and do you think they have it in them to win a World/European cup some time soon?

I might sound unpatriotic, but I have lost interest in the English national team (probably soon after Euro 2004) and I now enjoy watching various national teams.

So, a very much down-to-earth person who is not afraid to admit that he is an all-round football follower rather than a fanatical supporter. Clearly a family man too :)

Next up will be an interview with the only forumer I am aware of who lives closer to the 2012 Olympic stadium than I do.

Interviewed so far:

Timesle: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1201888&postcount=2

Stuart H : http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1202007&postcount=3

AFC Chewis: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1202344&postcount=4

KopStar: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1203600&postcount=7

drseanfitz: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1204818&postcount=8

Vlad: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1205051&postcount=13

Gozzy: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1205230&postcount=16

Nathan Kirby: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1205558&postcount=20

Toonfanforlife: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1205759&postcount=25

.TRGAWHFC★: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1205861&postcount=26

Dermo: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1206655&postcount=28

JinxMillion: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1206688&postcount=29

AsianInvasian: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1207119&postcount=31

Sky Blue Gould: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1208520&postcount=32

Scout Maker: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1209053&postcount=34

Arfon: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1209968&postcount=35

Hesse: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1211160&postcount=38

Jenks1: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1212144&postcount=39

Jonaldinho22: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1214230&postcount=41

Sky Blue Lee: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1214748&postcount=42

1CapWonder: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1216253&postcount=48

★Rуααη★: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1221614&postcount=51

Higgy: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1225911&postcount=53

najduch5: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1230336&postcount=54

SM Dev (Ste): http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1231785&postcount=56

If you want to be amongst the next to be interviewed, just drop me a VM or PM :)

• 2 weeks later...

Toro De Líbano is one of the nice guys of the forum. always friendly and welcoming and willing to discuss all things footbal, here's his interview:

I support West Ham United, which is my local Premier League club (although geographically I live slightly closer to Leyton Orient). Unlike a lot of people I haven't exactly supported them for as long as I can remember, because I only really got interested in professional football when I started secondary school, at about 11 years of age.

I think the honest answer to that is when I started paying attention to professional football, I saw West Ham doing surprisingly well in the top half of the table and when they got to the FA Cup final that season and signed Tevez and Mascherano in the summer I thought they were really going places. Initially I didn't feel that attached to them but over time I did feel more attached, and at the same time less afraid to state it publicly, because around here most people support the big sides and there aren't many West Ham supporters here (you have to go futher East to the suburbs of London to find them)

Since I started supported West Ham I really admired the way Carlos Tevez and Scott Parker stood out in our two relegation battles since we came up most recently, up until the 2009/2010 season. The former did very well under extreme circumstances in that not only were we in trouble in the pitch, but he hadn't scored a single goal all season and had the added pressure of being under investigation over his transfer the previous summer but he found his feet, ended up with seven goals and we stayed up (albeit under controversial circumstances). Scott Parker did very well throughout last season, although he is the one who breaks up the opposition midfield so his role is one that often is missed by people. He scored the goal that kept us up, or rather, guaranteed our survival, and usually doesn't make mistakes.

As for my favourite all time player, it has to be Pele. Not only has he scored so many goals but he played out almost his entire career with Santos, which is loyalty you rarely see today.

I have only ever been to three football matches: One was England vs Switzerland in Wembley (Fabio Capello's first match in charge of England), West Ham vs Middlesbrough in the FA Cup fourth round and West Ham vs Chelsea in the Premier League. The last one was by far the best. I was with my dad and cousin on the 19th of December 2009 (who had come here on holiday and was his first time in the UK)and it was a 4pm kick off on a frigid Sunday dusk. The match was fairly quiet but we had a penalty and it was unbelievably tense all around a packed Upton Park, which went into pandemonium when Diamanti sent Cech the wrong way to give us the lead into half time. But from a personal level the tension rose a lot when Chelsea had their penalty, when Ashley Cole went down although it was a good tackle. Now before the match, I dared my cousin (who was 24 at the time) to cheer if Chelsea scored. We were sat with the West Ham fans and when Lampard slotted the penalty in he shouted "goal!" and it absolutely ticked off a fan sat about two seats to the left of my cousin, and he got up and tried to confront my cousin but only when my dad repeatedly told him to sit back down. Remarkably the steward nearby did nothing and I think he only calmed down because the goal was disallowed and Lampard had to take the spot kick twice more.

So all in all a fairly quiet match for me was quite exciting, sometimes for good reasons and sometimes for bad ones but it's something I still remember very well and I'm sure my cousin does too.

It's a tough one. I've had a Boca Juniors in a custom setup since July 2007 and I won D2 with them in the first season of the setup. Since then they've gone from the lower reaches of D1 to the top but I've not won a single honour with them since the D2 title almost three years ago. And actually that's the only proper thing I have won at all on SM because I've taken teams on quite a lot and quit them. The other two teams I have stuck loyal with are Feyenoord in GC 129, and Club Brugge in GC 7. There is a story behind Club Brugge because, I took them in 2009 and managed them for almost 100 games, then made the mistake of taking an offer from another club. I went on a bad run with that club and quit in January 2010 but I re-took Club Brugge in June 2010 and set about the task of building a Belgian side capable of conquering all of Europe. I'm also trying to do a Dutch side with Feyenoord.

So overall currently it'd have to be the Club Brugge as I took them on some 8 seasons into the league. The Feyenoord has such a good base that it doesn't need much of a change and the league that the Boca Juniors is in is locked and has only two other managers in it.

Taking Club Brugge to third place in my first full season of my first stint as manager. There were some seriously good sides and Ajax had Lionel Messi back then so third place was a good result.

There are a lot of things to like: The uniqueness of how it's played, the closeness between the community and those who strive to improve the game and that's before you even delve into the actual improvements. People often forget any improvement or new feature is based upon some sort of mathematical knowledge or algorithm so something like player concerns will not work as well as people expect it to, because a computer is not really meant to recognise that sort of thing by default. And that kind of brings me on to what I don't like; some people are often so quick to jump on SM's back if something goes wrong that I wonder whether they work for the media for a living because that is exactly what it does, which is making something out of nothing. When the servers used to crash frequently before GCs were randomised a thread was made every time the game slowed up and it was very strange, as if these people had never experienced a slow server in their lives.

When SM get given criticism I think it hits hard on those that aren't devs because they can't come on here and say "Well actually I think...". Maybe that can be chaged, and it could improve relations between the community and those behind the scenes.

One thing I like doing is running and I train once a week at a club which is down in Newham Leisure Centre. It just lets me take my mind off things and relax for a while.

I don't really listen to music as such but being of Arab origin I do prefer Arabic music over English music.

I think I'd be Daniel Radcliffe in Harry Potter as the films are really good and some of the things he does look quite exciting

Who is your ideal date?

I'll be honest and say there are a lot of pretty celebrities but you have to question how Rooney-esque their egos are. If and when the right girl comes along I'll be delighted. :)

In real-life I'm in year 13 in sixth form doing A2s in Maths, Futher Maths and Computer Science and I'm looking to do a degree in the latter subject next year. In five years time the ideal (and optimistic) situation would be to have graduated from university and maybe even to be living abroad which is something I've wanted for a little while now. I love London but there are some personal things that moving away to certain places would solve.

You're a very calm individual on the forum. Is that an accurate description of your personality and have you always been this way?

I don't really understand my own personality, to be honest. On the forum I have only gotten angry twice and they were both for silly things, really. In real life I do get angry a lot but I try to either channel my anger or I just don't speak because then other people don't see my emotions but there are times where I do rage out at people. But I also get shy and self-conscious around people I admire or don't necessarily know and often I'm afraid to go up to new people, or even people I know as I find it very hard to trust people.

West Ham over the year have traditionally brought up several young talented footballers who have gone on to be huge successes. Why do you think that is?

I think it must be the way they select and nurture players because they have been doing it for some time, so I think it is related to what goes on in that academy. I wish I could have been there but my interest in football probably came too late and I am actually a very late bloomer skill-wise.

That there would be world peace.

Living so close to the Olympic site, what is the mood like amongst the locals? Is everyone getting excited or is life the same as usual?

It gets on the local news a lot and I see the new buildings going up everyday. Actually aside from the main Olympic area there are around half a dozen buildings going up within a 100m radius from my house so the scale of development is huge. It does bring with it a lot of disruption at it is frustrating but at the end of it we will end up with a brand new shopping centre, a new international train station and a new urban area to enjoy and it makes me more excited that West Ham might be playing just five minutes away in a few years time if we get chosen to be able to use the Olympic Stadium after the games.

So an all round peace loving guy who would be delighted to see his beloved Hammers move to the Olympic stadium :)

Next up will be the man with a 'Rasta' avatar and a lover of Reggae music

These interviews will continue and you just need to drop me a PM/VM if you would like to introduce yourself to the forum. If, however you're feeling in a more daring mood and really want to take the hotseat, check out the following thread:

http://forum.soccermanager.com/showthread.php?t=74911

The !!uncut!! interviews are not for the faint-hearted and will dig out all the dirt from your activity on the forum, so if you're feeling in a daredevil mood, put your name down for one of these :)

Next up is cainhoy who as you will see has a very interesting and varied life and set of interests:

I support the Jamaican National Team.

I follow this team because in the 1998 World Cup they finally qualified. In the United States for some reason this was a big deal..and was the most promoted and advertised World Cup in the United States that I can remember. I was living in Alaska at the time and was having beers and pizza after work at this Greek joint..started watchin the Cup and the Jamaicans..every evinin I would pile up with these Greeks and we would go nuts watchin the games. The Jamaicans did not do so well, but was still a blast. Still Kinda partial to them.

Thats tough one. I like lots of them. I will go with the Brazilian Ricardo Bovio. He is not a super star, or highly rated..but he always gives 100% with his duties in the midfield. He currently plays for the Saudi club Al Shabab on loan from the Brazilian club Ceara.

The Reggae Boyz raised a good cheer in that Greek Pub when they won their first World Cup finals match with two goals from Theodore Whitmore against Japan in that 1998 World Cup, winning 2-1. But with previous losses to Croatia and Argentina..they did not make the second round.

My Rochdale club in the EC2933, because it is a team that I took over and have built up from scratch. I have a few other clubs throughout SM, but this Rochdale club has been a blast to manage. Its not the best team in it's division, infact far from it, but I still love em. Lots of character and surprises each week.

So far, defeating Division 1 #1 ranked Arsenal with my #13 ranked division 3 Rochdale in one of the Cup match rounds.

I love the comraderie of a good set up. If your in a good set up the game experience is so much better. What I dont like is matches that don't start at 20:00 game time, and none do. The other was the transfer market change of not being able to transfer two half decent players foe one good one. Now ya can still do that type of deal, but then the price goes up and ya gotta give some cash to..not all of us have clubs with overflowing coffers. It's pretty unfair situation and puts smaller clubs at disadvantage. My opinion.

Fishing, treasure hunting, watching American Collegiate Football- The one with helmets.

Roots, rock steady and rub-A-dub style reggae. I would say it is 99% of my daily listening experience. I will lend an ear to some country and 80s euro ( INXS, U2, The Cure an such...)

Clive Owen in King Arthur. I have always loved the subject and mythology of the story. Great character and a great movie.

Who is your ideal date?

Jenifer Love Hewitt

http://imstars.aufeminin.com/stars/fan/jennifer-love-hewitt/jennifer-love-hewitt-20071005-320731.jpg

I began my career as a deep sea diver about 15 yrs ago. Now I am a top side welding inspector. I have worked in all of the US oil refineries and have now settled down in my birth place of Charleston, South Carolina. I am an inspector for a major Steel refinery.

I have been dabbling with the idea of opening up a reggae club, so we will see what happens in next 5 years or so.

Tell us a little bit about your personality, what makes you tick?

I am serious about work. Lazy at the house. Dont have a lot of friends, but make a good friend. Like things quiet, you know, not a lot of havoc.oh yeah, and very competitive.

Do you have a preferred style of play that you like to watch or do you feel teams should play to their strengths irrespective of the spectacle it produces?

You play to win, so if you create a spectacle, who cares. Play your strengths, whatever it takes to get the ball into the net.

Many, Many millions of dollars. Those who say money does not bring happiness, they were never meant to be happy in the first place.

Where does football rank in the US? Has it continued to gain popularity in the mainstream or does it still lag a long way behind baseball, gridiron and basketball?

Football/soccer in the United States still lags way behind the other sports. It's somewhere next to ping pong on the national level. We do have our professional clubs now, but they are no where on par with the European clubs. We seem to have the farming grounds for young players from South America or Europe who arent ready for the big leagues yet, or the washed up has beens from Europe. Football in American culture is 180 degrees from the rest of the world, where football starts in the ghetto and moves up through the social classes. In America football/ soccer starts at the elitist level, the kids with money, and they are a bunch of sissies, so hardly any great talent comes from that pool. Anyways, the game does not trickle down to the ghetto's here, basketball and American football have the monopoly. It is not often we will get a Clint Dempsey from the trailer park in Texas to give to the world of football. He is hard,tough,competitive with good endurance. He was raised poor.

So someone who likes the quiet life and has designs on owning his own Reggae club. Clearly a competitive type too.

Next up will be another Man C fan. But which one? :)

• 2 weeks later...

MCFC James is a very passionate member of the forum who be his own admission will say he's had some ups and downs on here. But it's a testimony to him that he is now one of the longest-standing members and liked by most. Here's his interview:

I support Manchester City and have supported them since I was six years old. So, about 10 years now.

Well mainly because I live in South East Greater Manchester and City are the closest Premiership side to me. Also, my Dad was a big City fan in the 70s and used to watch them on a regular basis. Been going to watch City play, since the end of the Maine Road era when Keegan was in charge to now where I have a shared out season ticket, plus go to a couple of away games each season.

Really tough one this is; I'd have to give Darren Huckerby a mention as he was my idol when I was growing up. I can always remember football in the school yard at Primary School and I always used to pretend to be Huckerby and my mate was always Goater. He was such a quick striker, with a great eye for goal and linked up so well with Goater, producing one of the most dangerous strike-forces in the history of the club. Nowadays, it's too hard to decide as there are so many players out of our squad that I love too much. But, if I had to choose I'd have to say Carlos Tevez. Just because I admire his work ethic so much and he is just such an exciting player to watch.

There is two matches that stick in my mind. The first one was special for me as it was my first City match. It was back in the 2000-01 season when City were in the old Nationwide Division 1 and we were playing Crewe Alexandra back at Maine Road. We won 5-2, I don't remember that much about the match, as I was 6 years old, but I remember us being 2 nil up and Crewe getting two back before half-time, before we hammered them in the second half. But the thing I remember the most was a load of City fans behind me singing "if you all hate United clap your hands." I just thought it was hilareous and thats when I knew City were the club for me. Recently, the Hamburg v City match a couple of seasons ago at Eastlands was an amazing game. Even though we lost the overall tie everything about the game was amazing.

My favourite team at the moment is probably my Torino in GC117. I thought I'd take them, but probably quit them a few days laters. But, as time went on I started liking them more and more. Into the second season with them now, but my squad includes players such as Briand, Etiene Capoue, Cassani, Volkan, Wijnaldum, Pedretti, Payet, Ranocchia, Schmelzer, Susaeta, Martin, plus more. Hoping to achieve promotion this season and then challenge for Serie A.

Well I have about eleven GC honours on SM which I am proud of, plus winning Division 4 in the competitive EC106. However, for me the game isn't about winning honours, I just love building up teams and if I win an honour then it's a nice little bonus.

I'm afraid to say the dislikes outweigh the likes and there is a lot I dislike about the game. I hate the constant creation of GCs and the fact we have to pay for most of them. However, I still enjoy playing the game and it is a great little time-filler for such a simple game.

Well apart from football related stuff, I love to play a bit of Tennis in the Summer. Plus just going into Manchester with mates and just playing a bit of Fifa on the Xbox.

Got a wide range of music to be honest. Like to chill out to a bit RnB/Rap with a bit of Eminem and Jamie T. But, also love listening to bands. My favourites being Oasis, Scouting for Girls, Coldplay, Klaxons and the Arctic Monkeys.

To be honest I'm not really a movie fan and really don't watch many movies. If I had to pick one it would probably be Daniel Craig in the James Bond movies.

Who is your ideal date?

I'd have to say Cheryl Cole.

sexy-cheryl-cole-7.jpg

At the moment I'm in my final year of School and leave after I've done my GCSE's in May/June to go to Sixth Form College. I'm hoping to be a Physiotherapist when I'm older, as I'm good at Science and love anything that's connected to Sports. Did my work experience at a Physiotherapist last Summer and really enjoyed it. So, hopefully in five years time I'll be a Physiotherapist for a top Premiership club. :D

You are clearly a passionate person and stick to your guns, but this can sometimes spill over. Is that fair comment or are you a different personality in real life?

Yeah can get pretty passionate and probably do take argument to far, but generally get on with 99% of the forum. To be honest in real life I'm not as outspoken. However, do love to have a few "football related arguments" with mates, usually on a Monday morning.

Recent murmurings are suggesting there in some unrest in the Man C camp with Adebayor's name mentioned frequently. Is it true or the press just trying to stir trouble?

Yeah I think it's a bit of both. Obviously we're not a well liked club, so the media probably do exaggerate a fair bit. But, the City team does have a lot of big mouths in Adebayor, Balotelli, Tevez and I don't think Mancini is particulary well liked by a lot of the players. However, I think when you've got as much talent as there is in the City team there is going to be unrest, especially with big talents being sat on the bench.

To have a million more wishes. :) Or just peace in the world

Which will come first for city, Europa League title, Premier league title, Champions league, FA cup or none of the above?

I think we've got a good shot at winning the Europa League this season and we should break into the top 4, but I still don't think we've got a good squad chemistry and don't think we'll be a threat to the title for at least another two seasons. [/b]

So clearly keeping his feet on the ground when it comes to his beloved Man C's future prospects and perhaps a career in the sports field beckoning? :)

Not sure who will be next yet as I've promised quite a few interviews, but haven't had the time to send them out yet :o . Should hopefully get around to sending Qs to those I had promised over this weekend :)

Loving these, really good stuff in there. Is it wrong that I feel sad for One Cap? Someone give him his pro papers!!! And Martin's (Jinxmillion) - any reference to sensible soccer is a winner in my book.

If theres any danger, would love to stick my name down for one at some point.

Regardles keep up the good work, really good stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Work commitments have forced me to an almost halt on this in recent times (flu season/injections' date=' winter colds etc etc) :o . But hopefully I will be back up to normal pace in the next day or so :)[/quote']

Nice one, works very slow right now and could do with a good read! (just make sure you clense your posts before spreading germs around flu bag!) ;):D

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the long gap, but we now move to Gizb, one of our longest-standing Portuguese members who is always willing to offer a helping hand and never afraid to speak his mind. Here's his interview:

We in Portugal have a different mentality of other countries, for example England. Here we first support the big 3 (FC Porto, Sporting or Benfica) and after we support our local team. I am a FC Porto supporter since my 6 years, basically since 1993 and like others I support my local team too, Rio Ave.

Unlike others, when I choose my team I don’t followed the steps of my father(He is a Sporting fan). He gave me freedom to choose my team by my own choice without putting pressure on it.

Football in Portugal was always connected with Politic. And Porto has been a symbol of the North against the South and against the centralization of the powers, companies, money and influences located in Lisbon. As I born in North and I am against the lack of equity, I had to support them. Also because I like the blue :P

As a Porto fan, will have to choose two players that made my days happy when at the club. The first was Super Mario Jardel with his amount of goals and great goals that so many wins gave to my side. And the currently one is Hulk. The Incredible has all to be one of the best forwards in a short period of time. And his exhibitions this year have improved so far and he has been more consistent and more goalscorer.

Has to be the final of UEFA Cup between FC Porto and Celtic where we won by 3-2. As the result was uncertain until the end of the extra time, first European final I was seeing from my team and so many nerves. This was also the start of our walk to the CL win in the following year.

Although I currently have a team with a value of almost 950M in a WC that was my first team when I joined SM, my currently favorite team is FC Porto in GC 111. There, I am trying to turn the squad into a Portuguese one, trying to bring all the great Portuguese names to the team. I admit that my team already was better in terms of future potential of my players, but everyday before I sleep I always look at the squad, count the number of Portuguese flags, imagine deals with the current non Portuguese players that I have to try bring the ones I am missing and I even dream with the team. I don’t think that could exist a sign of love to a team more than this.

Was winning the SMFA Champions Cup in GC 18 with Milan. Because I was only giving the first steps in SM and as Gold Member in GC’s and I didn’t expect so earlier success as is win such a big competition in a GC. Also because it opened my eyes to approach the big games as if they were not lost from the start.

What I like in this game, is to play against real managers. I am a very competitive person that not likes to lose in any way. And the objective to be the best, made me addict to this game.

I dislike the fact of we can’t customize our current tactics. As in all football games I am used to play(PES/FIFA/CM/FM), I always used the same tactic with much success and it isn’t in available ones right now.

My parents have a dairy farm. And as I like cows, when I have free time I go there to help in what is needed. Also because it gives you a sensation of fresh air and not the polluted air I am used to breathe. Also because it gives me a freedom of movements that I don’t get at home.

I am not very weird. But generally I prefer to listen Rock to the other kind of genres. My favourite group is Papa Roach.

I am not a great fan of movies and series, because I prefer all the things to be made live, with the things that happen be thought by the person in case and not pre-designed by someone. But in my limited knowledge, I believe I would be Ted in ‘’How I met your mother’’. Because I identify myself with that character. I know it isn’t a movie but..:P

Who is your ideal date?

I grew up, when Britney Spears appeared and when his body also grew :P I think she is beautiful and very hot and when I see one videoclip of her I have always the same reaction, turn off the sound and appreciate her.

u...ke_sexy_5_.jpg

Now I am ending my master degree in Veterinary Medicine. I have already done the practical experience, now I have just to write my thesis to have the degree.

Life is hard and sly and the tomorrow is always uncertain and is hard to predict what will happen in 5 years. Hope end soon my master degree and start work as Veterinary in big animals, preferably cows and/or horses. As I already mentioned before, my parents have a dairy farm, and as they are becoming old and I have no brothers, I will have to take care about that too. Don’t know if I will can conjugate both things. But if I can’t, don’t know which one will choose.

You generally appear as a very nice easy to get-along with sort of guy, but are not afraid to let your tongue do the talking when necessary. Is that an accurate description of you?

Yes. I am a person that speaks the truth and nothing more than that. The truth is never unfair, may hurt, but it doesn’t wound. I have probably my heart more near the mouth than my brain and that can be the explanation! Of course I already had problems to be so direct, but the true not offends and people know that can trust in what I say because it’s veridical.

Portugal always seem to have a good team on paper coming up to major tournaments, but have generally disappointed. Some blame a lack of a good target man finisher, other suggest team chemistry and egos may be to blame? What's your opinion?

I think are multifactorial reasons. This WC went so bad because we lacked ambition and a game plan. The lack of a decent forward and decent LB always were our major concerns when building a team.. Coentrao proved he can be a nice LB so we still lacking a forward. Nowadays, the goals can’t came only from the striker. If you look, RvP was the starter forward of Netherlands during all the competition and only scored one goal, and even with that they managed to join the final due to what I previously said. If we had a better striker in the last WC we would probably quit in the same circumstances. Spain always had big teams and always failed in the big tournaments. But in the last two they have found the key of success. Their team basically plays together all the season and it helps a lot. In Portugal our big teams prefer use South Americans instead of bet in homegrown players and the quality of Portuguese player tends to decrease and we hardly will have a national team which spine is based in one club.

In the last friendly with Paulo Bento against Spain, our team had ambition since the start, had a game plan, had Ronaldo at his best and had pride. The result of the game couldn’t be better for us. 4-0 over the World and European champions is a sign that the future can be glorious.

Would be health. Without health you can’t work to get success and money and without health you hardly will be loved and give love.

Would you favour a continental league accross Europe or do you prefer the country-based leagues and European competitions as we have now? Is there enough competition in the Portuguese league for Porto to test themselves and ready themselves for Europe's best teams?

I would prefer as it is now. In last November, some reports said we could have an Iberian League and the majority of people are against, and I agree. In Portugal, I would love to see a Portuguese champions and not a Spanish. The rivalry is fed to gain my opponent of ever, to the club of my city, of my street. When more closer, better is. And is also because of this I don’t agree with a European Super League. If in Portugal the stadiums normally are empty, without the big 3 more they will be. And I doubt any company would sponsor the league to have the Portuguese champion a team like.. Beira Mar.

The Portuguese teams aren’t very competitive because they not have funds. The country is in crisis, people don’t go to the stadiums, clubs have large debts due to errors in past and the gap between rich and poor clubs is increasing. That can be positive, as in the weekend after and before the European games we can rest the star players and win, but as you said, the lack of competition to test the limit of the team is a very negative point also because players will want to move for a more competitive league. But, if Porto didn’t had that debt due to the new stadium for EURO 2004, they wouldn’t accept the bids on their players so easily. And a team with Helton; Bosingwa, R. Carvalho, Pepe, Cissokho; Fernando, Moutinho, Lucho Gonzalez; Hulk, Falcao and Lisandro would be enough to aim for more than go through the group stages that is the minimum that Porto wants in CL..

Clearly an intellectual man who is hoping to pursue a career looking after and caring for animals, something he already enjoys doing on his family's farm. Also hopeful for national team success in the near future :)

As Kevin (Synyster) has made a return to the forum, the original brains behind the idea of this thread will now take on a leading role for future interviews and I'll continue to work alongside him :) . We hope together to keep this thread going and letting you learn more about your fellow forumers. Next interview will be up in due course.

Austin32 is a more recent addition to the forum, who seems to post on all sections of the forum quite regularly. Here's his interview:

Im support Swindon & Manchester United, ive support Swindon for about 9 years now while United a bit longer being around the 11 year mark

Well all my family was born in Swindon and when we moved back down here it just made perfect sense to go and support them, with all my family coming from Swindon aswell theres always going to be that sentimental feeling towards them .. With United its something a bit strange and different, i was about 7 & i went round a friends house who was a bit older than me at the time and he was watching footie on the TV, he asked if i wanted to watch and at that time not knowing nothing about it i sat down and straight away hooked in. My mate was a hardcore Arsenal fan and funny enough the match was against United, being a competitive i decided to cheer United and have done ever since

My favourite player at the moment has to be Charlie Austin, the guy is just a pleasure to watch. He's definately going to be playing in the Premiership in the next few years and can actually see this guy becoming a English international if he carrys this on in to the top leagues .. My all time favourite has just got to be Ryan Giggs a United legend who is definately one of the best players up there who have ever played for us, the way he plays just keeps you hooked to the screen, ive only been able to see this guy play a couple of times due to financial reasons but would had loved to see him play in his earlyier days

I was at the Play Off Semi Final against Charlton away and i remember i said to my mate i could see this going to pens and it did, when Stephen Darby hit that in i just didnt know what to do, was proberly the best feeling ive ever had.

My Southampton in EC3294 proberly my favourite, built them up from nothing to having probably the best overall team in the setup, had them first time i was on SM and manage to get them back when i came back in july time

Dont really have much Trophey's as not really a tactical man as i enjoy just buying and building great teams so proberly my Southampton, getting them in division 1 and fighting for the title in first season

i like how the ratings are always changing, i like how its addictive and makes me log in every day. I dont like how you have to pay to reserve in every gold setup, the match engine is sometimes rather annoying and managers who ignore your bids or pm's

i like to play on my xbox quite a bit, going to see mates, see my girlfriend, watching the footy live or on TV

im in to R&B, Rap & Grime

Ooo hard one, proberly Bruce Willis in the Die Hard films, no matter what he never seems to die ;)

Who is your ideal date?

Has to be Frankie Sandford of the Saturdays, truly is so beautiful:

Frankie%2BSandford%2Bfrankie.jpg

Currently i havent got a job which is so boring & annoying, in 5 years i hopefully will be in a stable job, ill like to be a lorry driver when im older, an unusual job but what my dad has always been so what ive always wanted to be

What is your real life personality like and does it differ from your SM personality?

Im quite a kind, caring guy who always puts his family, girlfriend & friends before himself. Im known as a joker by quite a few people as im always making people laugh, i do stick up for myself when needs be and that has had a huge effect on my past. On SM im not really friends with anyone and usally keep myself to myself and try to help out people when i can, so not much change from real life to SM in all honesty

How well do you recall Swindon's last spell in the top flight and what wasyour fondest memory from that time?

Being the 1993-1994 season i was only just been born so cant really comment, but a couple fans i get on with have said it was a great achievement yet there rather forget about the 100 goals we had put past us that season

Unlimited wishes ? :D probably to see my family, girlfriend & friends live a good life with no worries atall

If you had a choice, would you prefer your current board and manager to take you forward as far as they can or would you want a foreign investor with big money come and take take over the club and buy world superstars changing the name of the club in the process?

Of course having a owner who can just come in and spend would be great, but i would honestly rather "earn" our way through the leagues with hard work instead of just going out & buying the best players. In all fairness Andrew Fitton has done a good job at Swindon, stabled the books & has stated we dont have to sell. I feel Danny Wilson is the right man for the job thought and would be devastated if he was replaced, done a good job in bringing in players with a low budget and i just hope he can find some more bargins like Austin & of course be able to keep him at this club intill atleast the end of the season where the money can be spent wisely

So clearly someone who hhas a direct focus on what his future plans are and one who feels his club is currently doing things the right way. Also a kind caring type in real life :)

The interviews of two very well known members of the forum will be coming next :)

Dai really needs no introduction as it's doubtful anyone reading this has not encountered his name somewhere on the forum. Probably most noted for his amazing stack of Gold Championship honours, but that would be unfair as he has so many other strings to his bow, here's his interview:

I support Newcastle United but also follow Cardiff City.

Newcastle - I grew up kind of following Leeds because my Dad supported them, but as I got more into football and understood it more I saw Newcastle on the TV and instantly loved the way they played. All out attack (at the time). Since then I had the pleasure to live up there for a while and fell in love with the City and people there.

Cardiff - Its my local team. Used to go to Ninian Park at every available opportunity just to watch a Welsh team battle the English super-powers. :D

Current -There are lots of players I love watching but I have to go with the obvious one, Lionel Messi. He's magical.

All time - Ronaldo (The fat one!). Was amazing to watch. So good with the ball at his feet and a great finisher.

Obviously, the Newcastle win over Barcelona was epic, as was the 5-0 against Man Utd! But my most memorable match was Wales beating Italy 2-1 around 1999. I was there and the stadium was rocking. One of the best experiences of my life.

Umm... I like all my teams. Its hard to pick one. If I had to then I would say Newcastle in GC5.

Winning the SMFA Cup in season 1 with a pretty much standard Sao Paulo in GC49.

I like the realism of the game. You could easily build a galactico team playing Football Manager or Championship Manager as you can edit funds etc. But this, you have to negotiate with other human managers.

I dislike the player concerns feature. Other than that the game is brilliant for me

Spending time with my wonderful daughter.

I can easily say EVERYTHING. I tend to listen to more Hip-Hop than anything by choice but I am willing to listen to any genre.

Santiago Munez in Goal. Being adored by 50,000 screaming Geordies every week. Who wouldn't want that? Living the dream. :D

Who is your ideal date?

Cheryl Tweedy! She is perfection! Even with the accent! :D

cheryl-tweedy2.jpg

After running a B&B for 2 years, my partner and me took time out to focus on our child. Now, to pass the time and keep my mind busy, I have a job in the local ASDA store.

In 5 years time I will hopefully be involved in the Police Service here in Northern Ireland. I got quite far last year in the selection process to be turned down due to cuts at the time. I will be applying again and hopefully, will be going through all sorts of advanced training in 5 years.

You are clearly a passionate person and have been involved in a few heated debates during your earlier forum times? But most who know you would say you have mellowed since the birth of your daughter? Is that fair comment (and how is she doing)?

Yeah, thats fair. Also, I have had to mellow. Moderators are supposed to set an example and refrain from getting involved in any heated debates, regardless of their own opinions. I find that very hard but agreed to it when I was asked to be one. So, I do my best.

I think I'm thought of as being quite strict but I'm only doing what I was asked to do 2 YEARS AGO now :eek:

Keira is good thanks. Just turned 2 and very vocal. She's always nattering in my ear. Especially when I'm watching football.

Newcastle have arguably exceeded expectations this year and have had some eye-catching scorelines this year. Are you safe from relegation and how far away are we from having Newcastle back in the European Champions league timewise?

We have been fantastic. All down to Chris Hughton too. I, as many Toon fans wont ever forget that! I am very pleased though. WIth mainly the same squad as the one that got relagated we are showing the fight we lacked that season.

I think we are safe. Over half way through, we got results against teams we probably shouldn't have, but also lost to teams I thought we should beat. That should even out in the second half of the season and mid-table shouldn't be un-achievable.

Hmm... I want to say within a few seasons but a realistic time would be 5-10 years. Ashley needs to get lost before any progress can be made.

Same as many here. Good health for all my friends and family.

Which of the following would give you greatest pleasure and why - Newcastle in the latter stages of the Champions league, Wales winning the Rugby Union World cup or Mike Ashley leaving Newcastle?

I have to go with Wales winning the World cup. Our 3 Million population going up against the masses of the Southern Hemisphere and France, even England and coming out victorious would make me so, so happy.

So a proud Newcastle fan, but even prouder patriot who is looking to protect the public of his adapted homeland sometime in the future :)

PS Would also add this interview was conducted a week ago and no doubt Dai would now say his SMFA victory in GC5 with his beloved Newcastle is his greatest SM achievement

Next up will be a truely epic interview which in all likelihood will have to be posted in 2 parts :eek::)

Longnose is a proud south Londoner and even prouder patriot. A man of distinction and many life experiences and an encyclopaedic knowledge of world affairs, here is his interview:

Whilst I don’t consider myself much more than an interested bystander nowadays , its Millwall. Originally I am from Deptford in SE London, 15 minutes away from the old Den, the old man, my uncles and brothers were diehard Millwall people so its in my blood, . I started going with them (mainly because my father dragged me along) from the late seventies with the Lions struggling away in the third division . By time I hit my teens we had left Deptford for a new house in Catford ( a few miles up the road) and despite my Dads health deteriorating and my brothers moving onto other things I was well and truly hooked.

Going to watch Football in the 1980’s was so different than nowadays, better perhaps?, ok it was not the same standard as today on the pitch but off it the experience certainly seems less sterile. Seats were for season ticket holders or throwing at other supporters, games were policed by Policemen not stewards, the pitches were pretty rotten , the grounds outside the first division were dumps, it cost you a fiver to get in, players quite often drank locally and other than the elite they didn’t hold the ridiculous celebrity status they hold now. The FA cup meant something and unlike today the squads were almost exclusively drawn from the British Isles or Ireland.

I continued to be Den regular throughout my school years and after leaving school in 85, I was lucky enough ( like today they were tough times for youngsters) to have worked in an arch at Deptford which meant I was still able to make all the home and a few away games A few years later I was doing really ok as part of a big money earning gang of road workers laying gas mains in the West End. Life for me then was an awful lot simpler than it is now and instead of being dominated by my work. wife and kids, pretty much consisted of pub, girls, playing football ( Tigers head FC ) and of course continuing to get to as many Lions games as I could.

With the extra money I had floating around I became a regular travelling supporter, going all over the place as the Lions reached the 2cnd division and then made it into the old first, don’t get me wrong away trips with the Lions were a bit mental, but some of the best day’s of my life especially when a couple of hundred of you went up North. Anyway to cut a long boring story short, the years went by and things changed for me, I met my wife in the mid 90’s and needed to concentrate on getting a better job, buying a house, getting married and in 97 getting used to life as a father. The away games went and bit by bit so did the home games, I still got to a few but after the introduction of having to be a member of the MSC to get a ticket (and all the aggro that came with that) I gave it all up in 2002.

Nowadays I still watch out for them, and when possible I catch a game on the box and am always pleased to hear tales from people I know who still get down there. Like everyone else who are associated with club I’m delighted at the great progress and success they are currently enjoying.

Millwall Football club is part of the DNA of SE London. The area from the Elephant and castle, past London bridge along the river through the old docklands ( Rotherhithe - Bermondsey ) and across towards Lewisham ( through Deptford - New Cross) have always formed the Heartlands of Millwall support.

SE London could never be described as fashionable, pretty or prosperous and when the docks shut it never attracted investment or regeneration from local or central government, in short it’s a corner of London that has always been forgotten . Despite ( how can I put this) many of the indigenous people of SE London moving out towards Kent and being replaced by a huge number of more colourful newcomers to the country, the problems faced by those who live there remain largely the same. People talk about its grim up North but its always been a poor area ( with some of the most deprived people in the country) and even today could at the very best only be described as a “rough old manor” beset with many of societies problems and social ills.

The people who live there form very tight bonds and accordingly its has always been a very insular community, almost besieged from the rest of London and to many the clubs fighting spirit (on and off the pitch) typifies that. Ok there have been a few problems with violence, no one can deny that , but if you consider the over reaction by the Police the press and successive governments its little wonder we have a club left. The FA have been after Millwall for years, this was perfectly summed up years ago by former chairman Reg Burr who once commented

….Millwall are a convenient coat peg for football to hang its social ills on....

….or by the legendary Millwall battle cry….

No one likes us, we don’t care....

Things might have changed for me ,I now live in a very reasonable pretty well off London suburb, but its still my local team, and call me old fashioned but that’s the way it should be. I’m not knocking anyone, but I can’t but help afford myself a frown when I see legions of Plastic Scousers, Cockney Reds or South London Gooners in their brand new replica shirts stomping about the local park with their fat ugly kids and mouthy wives or rushing home with an Indian and a four pack to catch the CL game on sky. There’s loads of them down my road, the dipsticks are all South London people but would never dream of calling themselves Charlton, Millwall or Palace supporters…….but there I go talking a load of old rubbish as usual.

Terry Hurlock (Millwall)

God knows what they would make of him now but my all time Favourite Millwall player was a guy called Terry ‘ Warlock’ Hurlock. Hurlock was an ex coalman and lower league journeyman and arguably one of the hardest players to take to a football field in the history of the game, but as is often the case, vastly underrated with a great engine and a wide array of passes. He went on to terrorise the old Scots first under that other shrinking violet Graham Souness at Rangers.

I was told in a pub once by a couple of Celtic lads, that such was the impression left by Warlock on the Celtic supporters of the time they still refer to him (amongst other less forum friendly names) as that ‘ Vile hairy Beastie’. Neil Ruddock was once asked in a magazine Q&A, ‘What’s your favourite animal?’ ‘Terry Hurlock,’ he replied 'he often looks like he's been dragged through a hedge backwards, something he probably does to other people in his leisure time'.

Struggled to think of one in all honesty, of course there was plenty but more often than not it was memories of the match day as much as the game. For partly those reasons I went for the 4-1 victory over Gillingham all the way back in 1985. The Lions and Gillingham had been slugging it out all season for promotion from the old 3rd division. As it turned out the Lions finished second to Bradford but that was a superb change in fortunes when compared to the season before when good old George Graham had somehow saved the club from a disastrous drop into the 4th. The game was a somewhat one sided affair with the Lions dominating throughout with goals from Steve Lowndes, Steve Lovell, Dave Cusack and Lindsay Smith.

It was also one of my first away games with the Lions, I was about 16 and me and half a dozen mates made the journey down to the Medway by train from Bromley South getting there about 1 o’clock in the afternoon. After chickening out of trying to blag our way into a pub we decided to hang around the town center for a bit trying to look every part the Millwall Bushwackers we weren’t. Anyway we was spotted by an elderly copper who told us to ‘ run along to the ground like good little boys’ and we duly did getting into the dump that is Priestfield about an hour before the game. As kick got closer the mass of Millwall lads turned up and the poky little stadium soon began to fill, I was struck by the noise coming out the packed Gillingham end with the home support doing their best to taunt us ( I got used to this on the road with Millwall) from the safety of the other end of the ground. Sadly for the Gills faithful as soon the teams took to the field the massed home support turned out to be just the opposite as 400/ 500 Millwall people revealed themselves to their shocked hosts and promptly the now less vocal Kentish disappeared out of the ground. Not that I am condoning any form of Football violence here of course..

The journey home as just as memorable when crammed into the old rolling stock of the day my mate Martin stupidly decided to make himself and impromptu seat by opening the sliding window of the door and parking his backside in the gap. Problem was of course the train doors of the time were notoriously dangerous and likely to spring open at anytime. God knows how fast the train was going when the door burst outwards, but I still giggle when I picture Martins shocked face as he held on for his life screaming for help as the train belted along through the Kent countryside with him still perched in the window…after 20 minutes someone eventually stopped laughing and pulled him in, or maybe it was 30 ?.

Hull in EC106...why ? because its in 106 you daft Doctor you.

I done pretty well at the Den in 106 where by a run of luck I managed to take the Lions from the 3rd to the 1st in 4 seasons, no mean feat when you consider the strength of the opposition. Other than that Game wise not an awful lot really, whilst considering myself pretty nifty at the tactical side of things I have always lacked the knowledge and wit of many of those I come up against in the transfer market and I continue to suffer accordingly. Thing is I don’t judge success by trophies etc, or indeed by winning or loosing (unless its 106 of course) but more by my continued enjoyment of the game which I have to say shows no sign of diminishing.

If I have achieved anything then perhaps its here on the forum and in particular my contribution to the 106 threads. I have had the great , great privilege in helping some of the finest lads in SM build EC 106 into what remains the forums most influential English Championship so far. No doubt there are some well known 106 haters just waiting to jump on this, but I don’t think that’s as such a crass statement as it perhaps sounds. EC 106 grew from the shadow of the marvellous EC1 and is as much a product of that set-ups success as it is of its own. As EC1 (forum wise) slowly reached its pinnacle, 106 continued the development of the Forum based EC to new heights. It contains unsung legends such as James, Phil, Dean, Akash, Sean , Dermot, Cun, Elliot, Callum, Paul, Dave B, Andy and many many more whose unstinting comradeship, innovation, dedication, imagination and loyalty resulted in a thread that continues to influence and inspire a whole genre of other GW threads. As I suggested to 106 the other day, the old lady is perhaps ? moving into her late middle age now, and like EC1 before her , she may ? be overtaken as the forums premier EC set-up, by a newer , equally dedicated bunch of Forumers. I watch with great interest the emergence of 5579 and 7046 who both lead the charge to usurp 106. If I have contributed anything to rise of 106 then that’s a honour that I will fondly and proudly cherish.

In all honesty there’s not much to dislike is there?, the cheat prevention thing (?) can be a bit draconian in stopping unlinked people joining game worlds or doing transfers but that’s about it really. To be honest the positives far outweigh the negatives and one can only admire the developers for their continued advancements (especially over the last year) and improvements, whilst ensuring the game continues to present excellent value for money. If I had to identify my one particular favourite aspect of the game it would have to be the on going player rating process, fantastic stuff.

I can’t really answer that one, as ( despite being enjoyed by millions as a safe, pleasurable method of relaxation, whilst at the same time being a lot less harmful to ones health than alcohol) strictly speaking its not altogether legal.

Pretty wide ear ….. ranging from Mozart to the Clash

Hmm I’m not really a Steve Mcqueen or a Paul Newman so I’d go for David Niven as Phileas Fogg in Around the World in 80 Days . I see a lot of myself in the unflappable, intellectual, calm, cultured, impeccably attired and perfectly well mannered Niven and his fine performance as the determined and ever resourceful Fogg.

Who is your ideal date? celebrity - a link to a picture of him/her preferable but not essential

elizabeth-i-of-england-1.jpg?t=1295285374

Tempted to go for the very lovely Kathy Lloyd ( she‘s the one on the left), but I’d say Queen Elizabeth I of England… Now what a woman that was, under her reign a national identity was created for England. Her wisdom, courage and sincere and selfless dedication to her duty saw her realm transformed from a small and insignificant country to a world power. And whilst standing defiant in the face of personal danger she led us to become a country of culture, greater social and religious harmony and tolerance, and leaders in exploration and trade which in turn laid the seeds of the most glorious empire the world has ever and will ever see. That said…despite enjoying what would no doubt be a fascinating evening there would be little chance of me jeopardising her title as the Virgin queen, all that lead based make-up, ginger hair and missing teeth remind me far to much of the missus.

to be continued...

continued from above...

I’m a very overlooked , very worn out, nondescript little cog in the hard pressed estate services management team of a housing association (social landlords). Spend most of my day listening to moaning residents / colleagues and trying to motivate an equally overlooked , worn out and hard pressed team of cleaners, gardeners and maintenance people…If I’m honest the jobs on its way out, I have taken a 2k pay cut this year ( reviewed again in 2013 and likely to go down again), lost around 220 pounds per month in pension contributions from my employer and thanks to a lovely new reward strategy, had the annual cost of living ( +1%) pay rise removed from my T+Cs…happy days

Difficult to say, I had toyed with the idea of joining my property developing brother in Spain, but things on the Costa del crime are not so rosy since the decline of the Euro. I planned to maybe move out of London and head to the West country ( to give my children the chance to live around some English people before they become extinct) but in all honesty I doubt I will have the money now. So I’ll probably be here, hopefully in the same job or more to the point a job…

Some of the younger members will not know of Milwall's past success and proud history and only know of the more troubled times of the club? Educate us (concisely) and who would make up your all time best Millwall XI?

Past Success ? that wouldn‘t take long……how about we concentrate on their History. Formed in 1885 on the Isle of Dogs , which is on the other side of the river ( next time Eastenders is on , look for the bulge that sticks out into the Thames from the East end) by a a group of Dundee Dockers at the JT Morton factory. Ask Sean Fitz about that but this not only explains the royal blue shirt and Lion rampant badge but also my close affinity and mutual respect with many of the Forums Scottish members. Moving to South London in 1910 they joined the football league in 1920 and at one point between the wars were the 10th best supported club in England. With SE London being heavily bombed during the war damage to the Den forced them to ground share with Charlton , Palace and West Ham before returning to a rebuilt Den. Struggling in the 4th division throughout the 1950’s things took an up would direction in the 1960’s resulting in a marvellous undefeated home record of 59 games. The late 1960’s saw possibly the Lions strongest team, narrowly missing out on promotion to the first in 1971 before a gradual decline saw them fall back into the 3rd.

With the arrival of George Graham in the early 1980’s the club pulled out of a nose dive towards the 4th and returned to the second with a quarter final FA cup defeat at Luton ( went to that one ) along the way. After George buggered off to North London another Scotsman John Docherty led the club to their finest hour with promotion to the old first in 1987. After a bright first stab at the top (finishing 10th) the second season was truly miserable ( I hated it) and after the Doc was sacked and replaced by Bruce Rioch the club dropped back down into the second tier at the end of the 89/90 season.

With relegation came the start of what can only be described as a roller coaster ride of success and misery both on the pitch and off it. Under new man Mick Mcarthy the Lions enjoyed some notable success knocking Arsenal out of the cup and losing out to Derby in the division 1 play-offs. Sadly any hope of a quick return to the big time was short lived as by 96-97 Jimmy Nichol came down from Raith Rovers and somehow contrived to get the club relegated to the third after leading the division just 5 months before. It was an equally frustrating time off the pitch, when despite moving to a new purpose built ground ( the New Den) the club found themselves at the point of bankruptcy and were placed into administration.

After 5 long years in the Third, the new decade saw the excellent Mark McGee ( another Scot) finally lead the club back to the 2cnd and after narrowly loosing out to bloody Birmingham in the play-offs the season after, almost back into the premier. With Mcgee sacked ( I liked him myself) Dennis Wise took over and after a relatively easy ride we somehow found ourselves in the 2004 FA cup final facing Man Utd. OK they lost 4-1 but it was a great day for the people of SE London ( I was in Spain at the time) and of course saw Millwall make it into Europe for the first time in their 120 year history. After falling out with the new chairman, Wise left and after going 4 managers in one season, Millwall once more found themselves back in their spiritual home, the newly named first division. After a few nondescript years the clubs fortunes once more shifted upwards with the appointment of Kenny Jackett and in March 2007 a major investment in the club by Chestnut Hill Ventures, led by new chairman American John G Berylson. Under Jackett and Berylson the Lions have once more regained their roar reaching two successive play-off finals. Confounding our old friends Leeds to loose out to Shorpe in 2008/09 before returning to the championship last year after a narrow 1-0 victory over Swindon at Wembley.

Millwall Major Honours

Football League First Division

Best finish: 10th (1988-89)

Football League Second Division

Champions: 1987-88

Football League Third Division

Champions: 1927-28, 1937-38 (then Division Three South), 2000-01 (by then known as the Second Division)

Football League Fourth Division (fourth tier)

Champions: 1961-62

UEFA Cup

Best performance: Round 1 (2004-05)

FA Cup

Semi Finalists: 1900, 1903, 1937.

Runners-up: 2004.

Football League Cup

Best performance: quarter-finals (1973-74, 1976-77, 1994-95)

Runners-up (1945)

Favourite all time Millwall 11

1. Kasey Keller

2. Keith Stevens 5.Alan Mcleary 6.Paul Robinson 3. Bill Roffey

7.Jimmy Carter 8.Terry Hurlock 4.Les Briley 11. Anton Otulakowski

9. Neil Harris 10. Teddy Sheringham

12. Alex Rae 13. Tony Cascarino 14. Andy Roberts

15. Mark Kennedy 16. Steve Lovell

You are very jovial character, but who has very firm beliefs and perhaps a little set-in-his-ways (forgive me for saying so). Is that an accurate description of your psyche?

Joval ….that's a nice thing to say, thank you. Don’t get me wrong I have a dark side, and its darker than most but its kept safely under lock and key most of the time, but I do like a laugh.

Firm beliefs / set in my ways…….If you mean I stubbornly and resolutely defend traditional British values ? then too bloody right I am, but personally I see that as a strength and a good quality. Don’t get me wrong, I want a lot more for my daughters than the rubbish I ever had, but I’m from good working class stock and I’m very proud of the morals and traditions that brings. I believe in personal and collective responsibility, fair play, hard work, reward , duty, respect, God ( the Protestant one of course), natural order, the Queen ( god bless her) and my country. I’m not a bloody European or a citizen of Earth, I don’t care a fig about all that lark. I’m English first and British second and am proud of all her people, be they Jocks, Micks or Taffs and of our glorious collective history. And whilst respecting other nations and cultures I consider the UK as the best in the world and if people don’t like that, well they can Jolly well go and boil their heads...

..…an additional 40,000 redcoats at the battle of Saratoga…..now work that one out, answers on a postcard please.

As a firm believer that the Conservative party will transform the woes of the UK's economy and standard of living, is there any of their principles which could be instilled into the England national football team to make them thrive internationally?

I thought about a sprawling answer suggesting the revamping of the EPL, wage caps , European super Leagues etc so that young Englishmen were preferred to foreign imports, but in the end I concluded that there are something’s in this world that are too broke for even Dave and the lads to fix…..

So clearly someone who has enjoyed seeing the development of so many of his younger forumers into more mature individuals and modest about his role in the EC106 set-up. Always willing to impart his experience of life on others, but despite his sometimes forthright manner, he's just a caring fella all-round :)

Will be hoping to pick up the pase of interviews again in due course now a time-consuming period at work seems to be coming to an end and anyone wishing to give an interview simply has to VM or PM me

Archived