Who are you? - the forumers interviews

Smartdoc

Re: Who are you? - the forumers interviews

Our next interviewee needs no introuction to forum regulars. Tebthereb is one of our longest-standing members and the one we all rely on to keep the forum in good order in his supervisor role. Always willing to help anyone experiencing any sort of problem on here, here's his interview:

What team do you support and how long have you supported them?

I support Tottenham Hotspur, and have done so for as long as I can remember. I can't remember when I started to watch them play but I remember having posters of their FA Cup winning side with Lineker and co on my bedroom wall when I was younger, so I guess it must have been since about 1990

Why do you follow this team?

My dad was born in London, so he always supported them and I just watched them when he did and liked the way they played... so it kind of stuck. There has been little glory in the last twenty years or so, so I don't suppose I can really be accused of glory hunting!

Who is your favourite player (current and/or all time)?

Ummm, I used to love watching Ginola play when I was younger as he had an amazing ability to light up a game with his skill. I always loved Teddy Sheringham, Gary Linekar, and Alan Shearer. Great professionals. I believe I am right in saying Linekar didn't get a yellow card in his whole career; amazing.

These days, Messi is obviously a genius and must be respected. The player I see most often and admire though is Van Der Vaart. His movement, control and vision is awesome and are all qualities I lack rather obviously when I play football myself!

Which match do you recall most fondly?

England 4 Holland 1 in Euro 96. Some great performances from some of my favourite players, a tremendous result. This was the year I loved England more than ever and this result had me utterly convinced we would win the European Cup.

I have never been so gutted as when we went out the tournament, and I have never allowed myself to get too drawn by international football since as I am not going through the heartache again!

Which is your favourite SM team currently and why?

A bit of a predictable response, I fear, but it is definitely Spartak Moskva in GC1. It's my most successful team and the one I am most proud of, and also one of the few that I took from day one.

The gameworld is also tough and the league is getting harder and harder each season. The GC1 forum thread is also very active for such an old gameworld.

What do you consider your greatest SM achievement?

Possibly my Spartak Moskva squad... although these days I am more embarrassed than proud.

I did win the quintuple with Sparta once, I think, and I am not sure if this feat has been accomplished much elsewhere so I guess I am probably most pleased with that.

What do you like and dislike about SM?

I could write a book on this!

Briefly though, I like negotiating for players more than anything as I find it satisfying to get good players who will rise and the enjoyment is heightened when the player is acquired from a human rather than the AI.

The community is also excellent and I enjoy helping people out where I can.

I dislike the match engine above all. It is a constant disappointment and in great need of an overhaul. There are hundreds of other things, big and small, that I could also name though that I think could be tweaked.

What is your favourite past-time?

I love going to the gym. I normally go four times and get up at 5:40am to do so! I really enjoy working out. And watching football of course. Also play a bit of squash.

What sort of music do you like?

I don't listen to much really. I like most solo female vocalists. I think I am a bit soft... any woman sings and I melt.

If you could be a star in any movie (character/actor), who would you be and why?

I know this is a lame answer but I wouldn't want to be in any movie as anybody, not even as myself! No interest in being centre of attention. Contrary to the impression given by this answer, I do love movies.

Who is your ideal date?

Kelly Brooks or Martine McCutcheon. I have a weakness for brunettes!

What do you do now in real life and where do you see yourself in 5 years time?

I work in the tax department for a well known firm of accountants, giving tax planning advise and preparing tax returns for a lot of self-employed people and small owner managed businesses.

In five years time... in terms of my career? I am not sure. I am more concerned with being happy in five years... I plan to move house, have a baby and get married so the career will be second to all that.

What sort of person are you in real life? How would your friends describe you?

I am pretty quiet, particularly in groups. I am not argumentative or confrontational at all normally and hate being the centre of attention. I can be quite stubborn once you get to know me and think I have a decent sense of humour (who doesn't though!?) and am a good listener. I am not much of a "lad" and I enjoy female company more than male company. Not sure if any of that comes across from my posts!

Some younger fans are already labelling the current Spurs squad as perhaps the best ever. Which Tottenham side would you say were the best ever and how close is the current squad?

I would agree with those people. It is the strongest I can remember. The 1991 team I mentioned before (cup winners) was excellent but in terms of depth and potential this is the best one I remember.

If you had one wish granted to you, what would you wish for?

How about...Unlimited wishes? Sorry, couldn't resist. Failing that, I would wish that I never had to bother working again. I could quite happily be unemployed forever but finances don't allow this!

You've been a member of this forum since it's inception. What features of the forum do you feel are the best (which have kept you here) and has it been difficult maintaining the role of supervisor?

Actually, I didn't join the forum from the start. Not far off though I suppose, in the grand scheme of things.

The player ratings sections have always appealed to me but I think after a while most people heavily into these sections become a little embittered at the fact that helping there too much often comes back to bite you in the game. Generally I am just happy the forum continues to grow.

Yes it is difficult to be a mod in the sense that I got into the forum as I like posting, but these days I nearly always have "duties" to perform - I feel guilty if I put my own pursuits ahead of these too often. I feel much more distanced from the community then I once was too, which I regret but feel is an inevitable result of the forum growing.

So a quiet man who never shirks his duties on the forum and is hoping to have a settled family life in a new house in the near future. Very pleased with his side's current squad in real life, hoping success is around the corner and has the motivation to remain fit that perhaps many of us lack :)

Still working through the list of interviews I have to send out (may have lost a few names) :o , but a steady flow of completed interviews continues to come in. Stay tuned... :)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

shack is a forumer who tends to pop up on all areas of the forum from time to time and generally enjoys getting involved in some banter. Here's his interview:

Im a Cardiff City boy through and through, sounds a bit cliche but ive supported them since the day i was born, got countless pictures of me comming home from the hospital in Cardiff babygrows and blankets lol. For an accurate answer though itd make it 21 years to date so far.

Suppose the obvious reason would be it's my home town club. Grew up going down Ninian Park every home game with my dad supporting our boys. I like to think of us as the 'little club who should' so much ambition weve had over the years even in our darkest hours and we keep managing to bounce back and force ourselfs into contention. Even if we lost it all and ended up down in the Blue square Premier (god forbid) id still be at every home game :)

My current favourite player would be Kevin McNaughton without a shadow of a doubt. They guy is just sheer class and gives 110% on the pitch every game even when he's played out of position, if its the dying seconds and you needed somebody to throw their body in the way to block a shot youd have no doubts Kev would do that for you, which in modern football not many players would.

Of all time i would say Zidane. The outstanding player of his generation in my opinion, he led France to World Cup glory in 1998 and to the European Championship in 2000. He was a superb passer of the ball first and foremost, an outstanding playmaker that fed his forwards with great passes. The guy was sheer class.

I would say our Playoff final victory against QPR back in 2003. It wasnt the best football match by a long shot, but when Andy Campbell of all people popped up with a stunning strike in the 114th minute to seal us the victory it was indescribable to be honest. Being at the Millenium stadium aswell which was kind of 'home territory' just made it all the better. One of the best feelings ever when that final whistle blew.

My Dagenham & Redbridge in 5579. First and foremost the setup is fantastic to be a part of, the main reason however is taking my Daggers from division 4 with a pretty poor sqaud compared to most to second of division 3 with premiership quality players in the side within a season and a half.

Again id have to plump for my daggers in 5579, im not really a fan of the 'big clubs' i much prefer taking a smaller club building them up and progressing my way up the divisons, so taking a club like dagenham & redbridge and advancing them the way i have in such a competetive gamewrold is a good acheivement in my eyes.

Its just pretty bloody addictive isnt it lol! Im a competetive person myself so i enjoy knowing im pitting my whitts against other people.

Wouldnt say theres much i dislike to be honest, a few bits and bobs annoy me sometimes but nothing that stands out.

Ooh tricky one this, im an avid sports fan so any sort of playing sports/watching sports usually keeps me ticking over nicely. Apart from that spending time with my mates, going out clubbing/drinking, spending time with the girlfriend. Pretty typical guy id say really.

Im not really a fan of all the peppy pop rubbish thats around today to be honest, im into the whole indy/rock scene. Muse, Franz Ferdinand, Artic Monkeys, 30 Seconds to Mars, the list could go on but im sure you get the general idea.

If you could be a star in any movie (character/actor), who would you be and why?

EASY. The one and only James Bond, that guys got the life right? Stunning women, amazing cars, tons of gadgets and all the martinis he can drink in return for knocking off a few bad guys. Yes please :D

Who is your ideal date?

Jessica Clement, or as most people know her the sexy girl on the real hustle, i mean seriously wow.. id let her hustle me any day, just dont tell my girlfriend :P

images%3Fq%3Dfhm%2Bjessica%2Bjane%2Bclement%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1R2ADRA_enGB384%26biw%3D1579%26bih%3D685%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=961&vpy=76&dur=125&hovh=183&hovw=275&tx=114&ty=124&oei=raBSTcOoJYW6hAer_-zXCA&esq=5&page=1&ndsp=41&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0

I'm currently in my last year of uni now, studying Sports Development which is a mix of coaching young kids sporting fundementals and running a number of sporting clubs, primarilly football and boxing. Id like to see myself being a sports devlopments officer in 5 years time which is pretty much what i do now but on a much larger scale and actually getting paid for it rather than it being 'part of my course' so doing it for free lol.

What's your real life personality like and does it differ from your forum personality?

I'd say both my personalities (although that makes me sound demented :rolleyes:) are pretty much the same tbh. Im a pretty down to earth guy, easy to get along with, always up for a good bit of banter, but can also talk seriously about issues or just have a random bit of run depending what mood im in.

What are your team's prospects of getting into the EPL in the near future and if you get up, do you genuinely believe you could stay there?

In all honesty we should already be in the EPL and i stand by my judgement that any other manager than Jones would of got us promoted with the squad we had last season. In terms of this season im cautionly optomistic, we have on paper the best team in the league but its just a case of getting us to play right. Anything but automatic promotion would be seen as a big dissapointment in my eyes. I do believe though with our Malaysian owners if we did go up we'd have enough financial clout behind us and with the players we already got we could establish ourselfs in the top tier of football just like the old days.

Winning the championship lol nah, as long as my family and friends are healthy and happy then so am i so i would wish for that, health and good fortune for the people in my life.

Which of these would give you most pleasure - Getting promotion but losing home and away to Swansea, missing promotion but beating Swansea home and away, seeing Swansea get relegated or seeing Wales beat England in the upcoming qualifier?

Getting promoted without a shadow of a doubt, as bad as it is losing to the Jacks i would take that all day long if it meant seeing my club in the premiership. We could just get payback when drawing them in the cups :P

So a down-to-earth guy who's looking to get into a career in the sports field and believes his club rightly belongs in the EPL and will get there sooner rather than later.

Next up will be the only forumer I'm aware of, who's forum name is a homage to a record breaking track and field athlete...

EdMoses generally posts in the gameworlds section of the forum, although he does post elsewhere too. Most of his posts are fun and witty, here's his interview:

Liverpool since I was around 6.

Originally my neighbors were big arsenal fans and they gave me a metal badge that had the big canon “gunners” on it and I started to support them, but being an Irish descent roman catholic I had so many aunts and uncles who lived and breathed Liverpool (and Celtic natch) that I was easily swayed over to them. The romance of the team – talking predominantly about their history here and their perception as being a peoples club – together with their on field success at the time – this was late 70’s early 80’s really caught my imagination. I guess a team that successful was also easy to like for a neutral also. But I have been a Liverpool fan ever since, my children are now Liverpool fans also and there’s a liver bird flying through the whole clan.

I tried to explain to my eldest son how lucky he was seeing Liverpool win the European Cup at his age, given the European ban that was in place as I grew up but he really cant appreciate what football is today in comparison to my time at his age. The constant 24 hour football exposure – which I love by the way – is so different to The Big Match and its 2/3 minute match build up, Saint and Greavsie (the precursor to and better than Soccer AM), and of course match of the day – plus Grandstand with its final score – that I grew up on.

I’m not really a “my bestest player is” type of guy to be honest and those players of undoubted talent are obvious. The players that float my particular boat though are generally more than good with the ball. Messi is obviously a wondrous talent but he also appears to be level headed and a decent chap. Ronaldo (not the, in my mind, real, Brazilian one but the ex man united chap who refers to himself as CR7) is far too arrogant, greasy and self serving for me to really appreciate him. Players with tenure and history of success are the ones that tend to catch my eye.

All time favourite player would be a long list and would include Zidane, Fowler, Gerrard, Dalglish, Maradona, Weah, Gascoigne, Pele, Rush, Barnes, etc but the biggest is George Best I guess. It grates me slightly when players like Giggs get compared to him. Both players are outstanding in their own right but today’s game is far different form the one played in Best’s days. While the general skill and fitness of players can be considered far superior today than ever before the game itself now facilitates a sport that is becoming almost non contact – the shear bravery of a skillful player from Besties days has to be admired.

Denis Law said that, during his time at Manchester United, the coaching staff would play little games of 5 aside and during this 20 minute matches no one could get the ball of George. So it was decided that the games would be played as three touch/ Best answer? Well he would keep the ball and use his third touch to play the ball off a defenders leg and refresh his 3 touches – still no one could get the ball of him. When my Dad used to go and watch him – I have only ever heard the stories and seen the videos – he occasionally got to meet the players, go to training etc (his buddy was a journalist and would get all manner of access to certain events) he got to watch George training and told me that he saw George make a bet that he could take the ball all around the outside of the training pitch without the ball touching the ground – he did too, using head, knee etc the whole pitch just doing keepy uppy. Doesn’t sound much these days I guess but impressed me.

Current players is impossible but I can say that this current Barcelona side is the best team I have ever seen and think its unlikely I will ever see a side better.

Absolutely loads. Almost every Ireland game in Italia 90 or USA 94, various Liverpool/Everton clashes, Pool vs Newcastle, just loads and loads of games that really are special to me.

The top of that list though would be Liverpool v vs AC Milan and that comeback. You couldn’t write the script for that, Mighty Ducks. Rocky and Escape to Victory all rolled into one.

Toss up between my Brighton side in EC5579 or my Accrington Stanley in English and Scottish Almost Super League. I set myself a challenge to find the lowest rated, poorest team doing the worst in an EC and came across Stanley sitting bottom of the fourth having taken 4 points all season after 26 games. I took them up each year until up until two weeks ago they sat 2nd in the top flight. Have really enjoyed it, but my other commitments outside of SM (yes, there’s a real world out there) of late has seen me cut back from 9 teams to just four and, there may be further cuts if I’m honest.

Brighton in EC5579 has been an absolute blast – it’s was the first forum supported gameworld I had ever entered and has gone from strength to strength. I was fortunate enough to achieve back to back promotions in the first two seasons, but it’s the banter on the forum thread that’s the real buzz. Made some good friends and above all just really, really enjoyed it. I would really encourage anyone to get into EC5579 if they can, it’s maybe a little easier to achieve that say EC106 but it’s also less intimidating and, just my opinion, more inclusive.

Probably the job I have done at Accrington. Until recently I also dominated a WC using Real Madrid, winning 12 of the 15 trophies up for grabs in the 5 seasons I was there – only a 50% full GW though. Also did well at Derby in EC3951, there’s some others also but really still quite new to SM so any achievement I have had on the field is largely insignificant versus many, many other forummers.

Quite proud of The Dream Team idea I rolled out on the forum which worked very well for a short time, also it was only my second or third post on the forum and went on to be a massive hit so fond of that and I do consider that a twisted sort of achievement!

Not much to dislike – it’s a free game for cryin’ out loud! I like taking a small club and bartering with players, nothing quite like working hard in the transfer market and over time steadily increasing average ratings through acquisition.

If I had one critique it would probably be the manner in which certain forumers look down their nose at you if you don’t scout. I get no real enjoyment form scouting and nor do I have the time. That doesn’t make me some sort of plague ridden philistine! I just like doing the bits I enjoy most with the limited time I get in SM – namely scouring the threads and buying risers that someone else has found, tactics and the banter on the threads. Sorry if that offends some people but hey ho.

Ahhh, pastimes. I remember those. In all honesty I really don’t get much time for myself so it’s probably SM. I used to play footie to a good level, do the festivals/concerts, watch a ton of movies, write, socialise etc but now my pastimes are really my kids – doing “stuff” with them is my lifeblood.

Rap / Hip Hop – in the main, old skool. Jay-z is a throwback to the style o like and as such I am loving his stuff. Still have a liking for Garage – I was a dancer and would seriously get my rocks off at Epping Country Club, Sweat, Manumission in Ibiza and all over (helps that my best mate was a DJ) and loved those days, so that music reminds me of good, if anything indulgent, days so the music will always be with me.

Outside of that I love guitar sounds from The Rolling Stones through to Oasis. Also love hearing my son learning the guitar – he has an ear for it that will never be mine and watching and hearing him find his way with it is awesome.

I have tried to write scripts and am a real movie fan, but for the life of me I couldn’t pick a character I would like to be. The films I love tend to have dark or ill fated central characters – Life is Beautiful, Raging Bull, Oldboy etc – and I certainly would not want to swap places with any of them. For that reason I would probably have to go for someone like Brewster from Brewster’s Millions!

Who is your ideal date?

Kate+Beckinsale.jpg

I would have to go for Kate Beckinsale. This will either sound like a lie or a little odd, possibly both, but its true so make of it what you will. I met a woman on the day I joined the last major company I worked for some 11 years ago who was so attractive and simply beautiful. I then watched a movie some time late and realized the woman in the movie – Kate Beckinsale – was the spitting image of the chick I had just met, at the time I don’t know why but it created an unhealthy interest in the Beck Meister and I have fancied her ever since.

To complete the story, I married the lady I met and we have two gorgeous kids together. Yeah, I know, I’m a smug so and so aint I!

Well currently I have 2 children and wife; together we are a foster family so there’s generally another little un around as well. I hope that we are still fostering in five years.

I am a director of a Security Company, unless someone makes an outrageous bid for the company I suspect I will still be here, so all I can hope for is less work and more money!

I recently gave up being the video game reviewer for a large movie magazine, which I did for 2 years on a freelance basis. Time didn’t allow me to carry on and whilst I enjoyed the video game side of things, it wasn’t what I had wanted to do with my writing chops – so hopefully in 5 years I will have finished my book or/and that script, which will have been picked up by a publisher/agent etc.

Finally I am also partners with my father in a landscaping company – it has a very low turnover and is really just an excuse to keep close contact with the old man. Hopefully he will be still around doing that with me a little.

You seem to be jovial chap who always speaks eloquently and has a cheeky side to him. Is this a correct interpretation of your real life personality or does it differ?

No, that’s pretty spot on. I was recently diagnosed with Hypertension (essentially high blood pressure) and the docs are worried about my heart a bit – I know I take too much on but life’s for living right? – and I don’t think I could be as busy as I am without having a sunny disposition and the ability to communicate succinctly!

As someone who did rather poorly at school, has no form of higher education and spell checks my signature it’s rather pleasing to be described as eloquent, so ta very muchly.

How did you cope with the lows your side has suffered in real life in recent times and can you see a realistic title challenge in the near future?

I think, at 37 years old, I have a pretty decent internal barometer when it comes to identifying a low. I think Hodgson was never the right man for Liverpool but the results were not a crisis. No one thought for a minute that realistically we were gonna be relegated and I think the over reaction to a run of poor form, poor quality and poor results was wholly inappropriate. Kenny has done exceptionally well since he came in and looks to be the future but after 6 weeks in the job people are saying we are again a power house. The saying goes “form is temporary, class is permanent” and a side like Liverpool don’t become useless anymore than they become unplayable overnight.

I believe that Liverpool are stronger for Torres leaving, because he wasn’t happy and any player who doesn’t want to play for you shouldn’t. The strengthened side is stronger due to the acquisition of one of the most exciting strikers in the world in Suarez and England’s future Carroll. Both players really do give me a lot of hope for the team, but in all honesty we are where we were 2 seasons ago, still a couple players short of a proper go at the title.

Simple, good health for my friends and family.

If I could stay around to see what becomes of my two boys and the lives they build, if we could have had that daughter we so wanted, if I had enough money to never work again – any of these things would encapsulate happiness for me.

But overall, its gotta be health – my mum died at 46 from the dreaded Big C and not a day goes by that I wouldn’t trade all of my possessions for her health, an invaluable commodity that most of us treat with distain until we hit 30 and mortality chucks us man boobs, nose hair and two day hang overs, reminding us that were all getting older and no one lives for ever.

Liverpool have been blessed by some great individual players in the past and more recent times. Which XI would make your all-time Liverpool side and why?

Great question Smarty.

In true SM style I have gone 3-5-2!

GoalKeeper : Bruce Grobellaar

So he was a bit dodgy and had a liking for brown envelopes delivered by hand, but he was so charismatic, flamboyant and watchable that you could be forgiven for forgetting how good he was between the sticks. Not Liverpool’s best ever goalkeeper (stand up Mr Clemence) but my word you can’t forget him.

Defenders: Alan Hansen, Jamie Carragher, Sami Hyppia

The right answer, when choosing a Liverpool 11, is “ a team of carraghers” but he is nothing short of an Anfield legend – shame he was originally an Everton fan tho. Hansen was class, created time on the ball, always looked unflustered and oozed quality – also brave as a lion (do Scotland have lions or is it all bravehearts?). Sir Sami was and remains a gentleman of the game who read forwards like a book, he played football like snooker, he always seemed to be 4 shots ahead of everyone else.

Midfield : John Barnes, Steven Gerrard, Graeme Souness, Peter Beardsley

That would be some midfield. Goggle Barnes at the Maracana and you get a glimpse of John doing in an England shirt what he did almost every week for Liverpool. Gerrard you all know about, Souness was simply sensational, genuine world class and, forgetting what happened since he swapped his boots for the lambs wool overcoat, was a genuine legend and general for Liverpool at their most successful time in football. Beardlsey was irresistible with the ball at his feet, his beauty on the pitch matched only by his ugliness off it!

Forward/Attacking Middie:Kenny Dalglish

Mercurial, a wizard in studs, a genius. Simply the best player I have seen play live.

Strikers : Robbie Fowler, Ian Rush

Old big nose was the best striker I have ever seen – always in the right place at the right time, when God (the real one not the Kopite) was handing out such attributes as pace and flair he largely overlooked Rush – but his understanding of a defensive four/three married to his footballing intelligence, willingness, desire and telepathic link up with our midfield created created one of the greatest goal scorers of his or any generation.

As for Robbie – he’s God, nuff said.

Clearly a very down-to-earth and humble man who loves spending time with his family and makes the most of every minute of his life. Also clearly a football fan through and through and appreciates talents playing for his side or for others :)

Next up will be a fan of one of the Italian capital's footballing greats. But which one?

EdMoses generally posts in the gameworlds section of the forum' date=' although he does post elsewhere too. Most of his posts are fun and witty, here's his interview:

Clearly a very down-to-earth and humble man who loves spending time with his family and makes the most of every minute of his life. Also clearly a football fan through and through and appreciates talents playing for his side or for others :)

[/quote']

im sure hes missing a player in his team?? he only has 10 players!

im sure hes missing a player in his team?? he only has 10 players!

It was a good read mate, maybe you should read it again:-

1. Bruce Grobellaar

2. Alan Hansen

3. Jamie Carragher

4. Sami Hyppia

5. John Barnes

6. Graeme Souness

7. Steven Gerrard

8. Peter Beardsley

9. Kenny Dalglish

10. Ian Rush

11. Robbie Fowler

I'm sending over a calculator to go with that humble pie buddy!

Looks like you might still be a bit sore from the stomping I gave you in our rap battle my friend - have you noticed how no one seems to want to step up over there since our head to head?

• 2 weeks later...

Totti417 is a bit of an allrounder, posting on all sections of the forum and also one of the most prominent posters on the Italian forum. A keen Roma fan, here is his interview:

Forza Roma! I’ve been strongly supporting A.S. Roma for the last decade or so.

When I was a kid, I moved from Italy to the United States, which isn’t exactly the best place to nurture someone into the world of football, but I took it upon myself to do so.

Firstly, I’ve always been a fan of Francesco Totti. Off the pitch, he is a light-hearted guy with good family values, so he has always been a role model of sorts. He still speaks his Roman dialect and he’s written several joke books (many of which you can find him reenacting on YouTube). (link below) Also, we share the same first name!

DueP95hjrDE

Secondly, I have lots of family living in Rome and its outskirts. I am personally from the Abruzzo region, but it is one of the least cultured football regions in the country. Our top club is Serie B side Pescara, who have only seen Serie A daylight for 5 seasons, so I root for Roma.

See user name. Besides the obvious, I’ve always been inspired by Paolo Maldini for his desire for the game, his longevity and for being a one-club man. Naturally, I also support my fellow Italian-American, Giuseppe Rossi. He responded to me once on Twitter @GiuseppeRossi22.

Honestly, I’ve only been to one professional football match in my lifetime! The United States isn’t a hotspot for football matches. The nearest MLS stadium is a few hours away from where I live, but I did have the great opportunity to see the Derby della Madonnina at the World Football Challenge. It was a once-in-life-time opportunity to see Inter face off against Milan in the USA. The day prior I met Jose Mourinho and the entire Inter squad at their training session before the game. The Special One even signed my boot!

I would have to say my New York Red Bulls squad in a Gold Championship. I’ve turned them into one of the more valuable clubs in the Game World, which hopefully emphasizes that MLS clubs are on the rise.

In relation to the forum, my greatest achievement in recent history was introducing SM Predict to the Italian forum (with the help of Maypayne). The Italian forum is vastly growing every day. We have the second biggest forum, aside from the English one. We are building up a similar tight-knit community so it is great to be a leader and a part of that growth.

This answer might seem like a cop-out, but I don’t dislike anything about SM. To me, SM is like Wikipedia: a constant work in progress. SM listens to suggestions and has been improving ever since I joined in ’06. Every day, SM is getting better and better, so enjoy the ride. I’m just happy to help in any way, whether it’s modding the forum or translating from English to Italian.

If Soccer manager went 'offline' in your country, how much more spare time yould you have and how much would you miss it?

I would roll up into the fetal position and suck my thumb, alone in my room.

When I hear the word pastime “baseball” comes to mind, so I will have to go with that. I have been a huge baseball fan all my life. The smell of the grass, putting on the uniform, chewing sunflower seeds…I love it all. You guys from the UK should give it a chance. ;)

According to my iTunes playlist, I am a fan of rap (specifically Italian rap). Some of my favorite artists include Fabri Fibra, Caparezza, Marracash, J-Ax, etc. I also play electric guitar so I also love me some rock from the likes of Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Metallica, and even RHCP.

‘The Sandlot’ is a classic. I’d really choose any of the guys from that movie. All of them for differing reasons. I’d probably have to choose Squints so I could get a kiss from Wendy the Lifeguard.

Who is your ideal date?

I’ve always thought Elisabetta Canalis was perfection. Plus, she digs American guys apparently since she is dating George Clooney. At least, that improves my chances to .000001%

2aaf42r.jpg

You're one of the most helpful members of the forum and your responses are always polite and well-informed. Is this a good description of your real life qualities?

I appreciate that, Smarty. I could not ask for a better compliment than to be a helpful and polite person. I am too modest to answer this, but in short, yes. Hmm. Does saying you’re modest actually not make you modest?

Do you feel Francesco Totti got sufficient recognition of his talents in Italy and worldwide or do you feel he has always been undervalued and under the shadow of other Italian greats (e.g. Del Piero)?

Totti never really shined on the continental or international stage, unfortunately, which is probably the reason for his lack of recognition worldwide. He is beloved in Rome. He was born in Rome and will continue to be a one-club man. He deserves more recognition just for the fact he doesn’t play the game for money. Clubs like Real Madrid have tried to pry him from the Capital with boatloads of cash, but he follows his heart.

Smarty, this is one daunting question! I’ll change it to a football-related wish to make it easier on myself. I’d wish for the football to become popular in the U.S.A. like it is in Europe. (i.e. the MLS and the USMNT).

What are your feelings about the presence of Ultras in Italian football and their role? Why does there presence on occasion spill over into violence?

Kids will be kids. Ultras will be ultras. They are passionate fans, but passion can easily redirected into aggression under certain conditions. I think they add a positive ambiance when they are not violent or causing chaotic scenes.

So, clearly a football fan through and through, but would like it's popularity to increase in the US and would also like more recognition for it's leagues worldwide. Down-to-earth and modest and also has a liking for baseball as well as his love for SM.

Just waiting for a few interviews to come through before I send some of the members I have promised some questions. Feel free to give me a nudge if I've missed anyone :)

• 1 month later...

Apologies to steve025 who must have been wondering what happened to his interview having sent it to me a month ago :o . A member who posts predominantly runs successful EC sides on SM and is usually up for some banter, here's his interview:

I support Preston North End and have done since i could understand football really. My Nan took me on my first game when i was about 8 years old and it just grew from there really.

I was born a stones throw away from the ground and grew up in Leyland which is just outside of Preston so they are my local side. Neither of my parents liked football that much so it was left to my Nan who has supported Preston for 60 odd years to show me the way. She used to take me on all the time and i have her to thank for bringing me up the right way lol.

Current - Andrés Iniesta. The Spanish wizard is just simply one of the best players on earth at the minute i love watching him an all round midfield player even had the pleasure of seeing him live when England played Spain a few years back at Old Trafford he scored a truly unbelievable goal. England lost 1-0 but he left a lasting impression on me and i would love to see him play in the premier league someday.

All Time - Peter Schmeichel. The great Dane is one of the greatest goalkeepers of all time he was a big guy but was so agile and could throw his big frame in the way of anything United struggled for years to find a replacement when he left.

Preston vs Birmingham playoff semi final at Deepdale in 2001. The greatest night i have ever experienced whilst watching Preston. We got beat 1-0 at St Andrews in the first leg. David Healy scored for Preston to level it up then Birmingham regained the lead and just when it looked like Birmingham were going to the final up popped Mark Rankine in the 90th minute to score for PNE and take the game into extra time Deepdale was bouncing.

The game went to pens after extra time were Brum manager Trevor Francis kicked off big time because the pens were to be taken at the kop end were our fans were he even took his players off the pitch in protest before returning. That seemed to unsettle Brum as this missed their first 2 pens we scored our first 3 then missed the 4th so it was 3-3 going into the last pen. Local boy Paul Mckenna stepped up and slotted it just underneath the keeper.

Deepdale erupted like never before cue the mass pitch invasion celebrating with the players it was fairytale stuff. Unfortunately we got beat off Bolton in the final 3-0 but that game will stay with me forever very happy days.

Has to be my Preston side in EC5905. Took them over in the first ever season didn't really spend that much money at got to the playoffs were i beat Boro in the final. Built a fantastic side for Division 1 and my first season in that division saw me finish 4th. I am currently 5th in division 1 after 17 games this season.

Getting my Preston side in 5905 promoted at the first attempt without ever spending a huge amount of money.Then to finish 4th in the top division was fantastic.

Likes - Scouting for players is rewarding. And the real life ratings system makes the game a lot better than many of it's competitors. And also competing against other managers.

Dislikes - The loan system (Think we should be allowed more than 3). The amount of time it is now taking for results to come in they seem to be getting later and later every week.

Enjoy spending time with my family. Watching films. playing on the Xbox. watching boxing and UFC. Also enjoy reading from time to time.

I enjoy a variety of music these days. I worked at Butlins as a stage lighting technician a few years back and grew to enjoy all different taste. Particular favorites are Eminem,The Verve,Coldplay and currently Chase and Status. whilst i do own a lot of soul and motown cd's.

Ron Jeremy :D only kidding. If i could pick one it has to be James Bond the guy has never aged despite being around for years and has pulled some right stunners in his time.

Who is your ideal date? celebrity - a link to a picture of him/her preferrable but not essential

Kelly+Brook

Kelly Brook - She is stunning always had a bit of a crush on her ever since my teenage days lol

I am a Customer Service assistant is a well known store whilst i complete my NVQ. In 5 years time i hope to be doing a job i actually enjoy something in face to face sales would be up my street i enjoy dealing with people and some say i have the gift of the gab so i think i could make some serious cash :D.

Whilst you are known amongst the crowds in some of the popular ECs, others may not know too much about you. What sort of person are you?

I like to think of myself as a family man i have a wife and two step children and i spend most of my spare time with them. I am approachable and up for a laugh. I am not confrontational and i hate arguments and will go out of my way to please anybody.

What were your feelings on Darren Ferguson's tenure as manager and also the withdrawal of loan players after his sacking?

Darren's reign at Preston turned out to be a disaster if truth be told. I felt sorry for him in a way as when the club was issued with a winding up order any plans he had were ripped apart and the job was just a little to big for him considering he really didn't have that much experience at Championship level. I thought he should have gone a month earlier to give the new manager more time in the transfer market

The loan players going back was a joke and made Sir Alex and his chum Pulis look a little bit silly throwing the toys out of the pram but it was inevitable. however in doing that it gave Phil Brown the chance to bring his own men in and could it could be a blessing is disguise (I hope) lol

For a healthy and Wealthy life for me and my family.

As a Preston fan, do you have any favourite story's that fellow older fans tell you about the good old days and do you have any genuine hope of emulating those days?

My Nan has shared some tales with me from her younger days. Her favorite being the 1954 FA Cup final were Preston played West Brom. She said it felt like most of Preston were on their way to Wembley that day. The baggies won the final 3-2 getting the winner in the 87th minute. Also hear many tales about Sir Tom Finney who is a true Preston legend.

On Emulating them i would like to think so maybe one day. We are a million miles away at the minute and look like we will be relegated to League 1 i just hope that we can galvanize the fans like Leeds and Norwich have done in the past and come back stronger. Us Preston fans have been spoilt in the last decade with some great times and what we are currently going through is very tough in football terms.

So a Preston NE man through and through and very much a family man. Also hoping his conversational skills will earn him some good money in the future :)

Unfortunately, time commitments mean I will be handing on the reins to another forumer, who will I'm sure be able to do a better job. Humble apologies to those few who I promised an interview to, your names will be sent to the forumer taking on the interviewing mantle. I'm sure the person taking over will be posting on here very soon :)

Right folks, Smarty's handed the interviewing duties onto me so drop me a message if you want to get your name up in lights :P I'd also assume I'll be getting round to second interviews before too long so those who've been grilled already can expect some more questions :)

Guest drseanfitz

Right folks' date=' Smarty's handed the interviewing duties onto me so drop me a message if you want to get your name up in lights :P I'd also assume I'll be getting round to second interviews before too long so those who've been grilled already can expect some more questions :)[/quote']

and there was me thinking we'd be getting an intelligent replacement.....:P

Right folks' date=' Smarty's handed the interviewing duties onto me so drop me a message if you want to get your name up in lights :P I'd also assume I'll be getting round to second interviews before too long so those who've been grilled already can expect some more questions :)[/quote']

Who are you?

Interviewed so far:

Timesle: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1201888&postcount=2

Stuart H : http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1202007&postcount=3

AFC Chewis: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1202344&postcount=4

KopStar: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1203600&postcount=7

drseanfitz: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1204818&postcount=8

Vlad: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1205051&postcount=13

Gozzy: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1205230&postcount=16

Nathan Kirby: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1205558&postcount=20

Toonfanforlife: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1205759&postcount=25

.TRGAWHFC★: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1205861&postcount=26

Dermo: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1206655&postcount=28

JinxMillion: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1206688&postcount=29

AsianInvasian: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1207119&postcount=31

Sky Blue Gould: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1208520&postcount=32

Scout Maker: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1209053&postcount=34

Arfon: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1209968&postcount=35

Hesse: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1211160&postcount=38

Jenks1: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1212144&postcount=39

Jonaldinho22: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1214230&postcount=41

Sky Blue Lee: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1214748&postcount=42

1CapWonder: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1216253&postcount=48

★Rуααη★: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1221614&postcount=51

Higgy: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1225911&postcount=53

najduch5: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1230336&postcount=54

SM Dev (Ste): http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1231785&postcount=56

If you want to be amongst the next to be interviewed' date=' just drop me a VM or PM :)[/quote']

Toro De Líbano: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1244359&postcount=58

cainhoy: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1249963&postcount=62

MCFC James: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1274221&postcount=65

Gizb: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1326335&postcount=71

BowesFC: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1332632&postcount=72

Dai: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1341975&postcount=73

Longnose: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1352306&postcount=74 and http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1352315&postcount=75

Tebthereb: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1369853&postcount=76

shack: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1372418&postcount=79

EdMoses: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1378606&postcount=82

Totti417: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1399847&postcount=85

steve025: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1471113&postcount=88

First up for me is Dom Latouche, because he begged... Dom's regularly seen around the forum ECs and customs and is generally loud-mouthed and fun to pick on :P

I support two teams really with my main one being swindon town and Ive supported since I was 12 when I went to my first ever match with my freind and his dad.

Other one is arsenal , I supported them roughly the same time as swindon.

I follow swindon as its my home town club , And im a firm beliver in supporting your local club no matter how big or small they are! I love swindon FC and will always support them.

Arsenal I supported because when I first saw the players they had , How they played there football at arsenal I fell in love with them. I love everything about them really Manager , style of football , There approach to fiances and spending on huge transfer fees. I think they are the best english club to watch and most economical too.

My current and favourite player is simon cox , He was absoulutely fantastic for us at the time , He has great skill and quality that could change games and he was a right fans favourite down here. He always played his heart out and gave so much effort but he was a natural goalscorer. Fans were resigned to him going quickly but he never once moaned or put a transfer request in. And he was always humble till swindon got there asking price and sold him.

Most recent match I recall fondly was last season , When we beat leeds 3-0 at elland road. We were bloody brillant that day , We pressured leeds into making mistakes whilst everything swindon did that day was brillant and one of the best performances Ive seen from swindon. With now leeds forward billy paytner scoring 2and charlie austin scoreing the other one.

My favourite team in SM has to be fulham in EC 7046. I was in the setup at the start with arsenal built a world class team but I lost them due to very bad circumstances but I wanted back in and almost took notts county but fulham suddenly popped up and I grabbed them quick! It was a side in the relegation zone with little quality apart from krasic and bastos really but not only we survived but guided them to 8th and Ive built a team from scratch into my image really.

Difficult one!!

Im gunna say my lastest season with forfar , I won the title a week a go 8 team division with some of the best forumers and managers in the game. I had the 3rd worst team whilst others had messi , ronaldo , bale and fantastic superstars. My best players were wes brown , sami hypia and Micheal owen :D ( I started late )

The best thing about SM is the real life ratings system , I like the fact they base it around real life performances. And playing against real life people people not just computer teams like you get on championship manager.

The worst thing about SM , Is there awful cheats system and how they handle cheats. There are so many cheats on the game and SM dont punish them accordingly. Like one in 7046 , I reported among others about a cheat in 7046 who was a premier league side but also took a division 4 side but he claimed his ''freind'' was the premier league side. We put our evidence to SM which they took his division 4 but left the premier league side!! Crazy!!

Im a seriously keen badminton player and pretty good if I do say myself. I play badminton 2/3 times a week now as its good fun and keeps us fit and healthy. I love to play 5 a side footy too at the county ground. I play with some mates , I always play on the right wing as I have a terrible left foot and a awful shot :D But im a good passer tho.

High school musical , glee... Only joking :P

Im into R&B mostly , My favourites are akon , taio cruz , eminem , chipmunk that sort of thing but I do like a bit of rock too. My favourite song to date as It represents me was chipmunk ft chris brown : Champion :P

This might make me look sad git but james bond when pierce brosnan was there as bond was at his best when he was there and he is the iconic caracter. I want to be james bond as he lives the cool life , Secret agent doing what ever he wants , He has the lastest cool gadgets at his disposal , He bags any girl he wants. He is a jet flying , limo riding , bad guy beating king!!

Who is your ideal date? Celebrity - a link to a picture of him/her preferable but not essential

rihanna-25.jpg

All I have to say is WOW. She is very outspoken and she is not afraid to say something controversial like her very recent comments '' That she wanted to spank Britney Spears '' You have gotta love that! After the chris brown business it seems to be that she is a strong woman and I kinda dig that! Plus she looks great! ;)

Well I was made redundunt from my job a while ago , It was working in a nursery. I was the nursery nurse there. It was a very demanding job and completely took me out of it. Now im doing some lite volunteer work at my nans old peoples home and the charity shop.

In 5 years I see myself working with adults that have autism , Im getting training in september to do this course. As a sufferer of the austism I want to help people who are less fortunate than myself. As I have freinds who are austic too and people like that suffer in silence really and I want to help them. :)

For me and family and freinds to try lead happy and healthy lives

You're most often seen on the forum EC threads; what is it about these set-ups that has you hooked?

I love the banter you get on those sorts of threads , I just love a setup which has good decent managers to play against and to talk too. Thats why I rate 7345 and 7046 as the best they are filled with the best managers and are always lively and full of banter! :)

You seem to have a few rivalries brewing across these set-ups; who is your favourite opponent and why?

Do I ? I hadnt noticed :D

Well I seem to attract rivalries due to my ''exuberance''. I always try to get involed in banter which brings the setup to life I reckon. I think ive annoyed people as much as I make them laugh :

My most favourite opponent is jooles ''statsman'' dawson. I speak to him quite regualarly and he is very well known for his clever use of his stats! But he really likes to wind me up and is very clever at doing it :P But awesome guy to talk to and very very clever , He is usally right whenever we have disagreements :o And he beat me in the intercourse which came my 1st ever relegation on SM and he helped stop me claiming the wasteland title! :eek: He has stopped reminding me !!!

Swindon Town are struggling at the moment. What are your long-term hopes for the team?

We are struggling badly , We were brillant last season but we havent really replaced paytner , charlie austin , danny ward so we havent got a decent goal scorer all season long. But we have missed gordon greer very badly as he was a great leader in which we dont have anymore as Jonathon douglas is a good player but a rubbish capitain :o

Well our chairmen Andrew fitton has made mistakes in not replacing greer etc But he has been a god send and saved swindon town. He is a senisble chairmen which is not often seen in the modern game. He wants swindon town to play championship football within 5 seasons which he gets a decent manager in I think we will hopefully achieve it! I think our impending relegation to league 2 will be a wake up call for swindon and its players. I think we need a decent clearout and a bright young manager in then good times will come back Im sure :)

So Dom's a devout Swindon fan who likes a bit of banter and trying to succeed at SM.

I'm away for a week now but I'll send out a few more batches of questions tonight so hopefully I should have some interviews to post up when I get back.

• 2 weeks later...

Next up is BenNewman. Fairly recent addition to the forum but has got his teeth into a few forum-filled set-ups and has endeared himself to others with his comical attributes (or lack thereof ;)).

The one and only Preston North End, I have supported them since I was about 10 so not that long. I only really got into football through my dad around 2006 so we decided to get a 'half' season tickets as they were called for the 2005/06 season. Never ever thought about going down the route of United or Liverpool because it's just not the same when you could be watching the pride of Lancashire down the road ;)

My dad is the whole reason I got into football, without him I probably would be facebooking all day about my exciting life :o I don't know how I actually lived without football, once you watch a game your hooked and theres no turning back. Anyway back to the question, Preston are in my heart, it's an emotional journey but hey thats the joy of being a football fan, you win some you lose some but someday it you will be in the spot light. I'm also very passionate about PNE, I remember going to a tour of Anfield a few years ago and the man leading the tour was a Liverpool fan himself, he asked half way through if there was any none Liverpool fans on the tour. I stood there with pride as I said "Preston", mind you there was an Everton fan there so I wasn't the shock of the day.

Currently is definately Iain Hume as many people may know, I think I'm actually obsesed with the guy to be honest. He's helping us out a lot this season and hopefully will be able to do the 'impossible' and help us stay up.

My all time favourite has to be Thierry Henry, watching him on TV every week on match of the day was amazing. He was just leaving for Barcelona by the time I started watching so I got about half a year analysing him. I have seen clips from his prime time on youtube and he was a wizard on the pitch!

The win over QPR on the last day of the season from 2008/09. The win sent us into the play offs but that wasn't why I picked this match, after the game there was a major pitch invasion. Literally 20,000 people where on the pitch and it was the best feeling in the world, hopefully it can be repeated this season if we manage to stay up and I would be there again joining in.

a8giaEJCed0

My Middlesbrough team in EC 4733, took them about a year ago and never looked back. They were in the championship when I took over and I managed to sign the likes of Suarez who wasn't well know at the time and still played for Ajax, in my first season I managed to win the play offs and secure a place in the promise land. A friend was also in the league as Wolves who had just been relegated but also got into the play offs, unfortunately he was beat in the semi finals by Newcastle, I would of liked to face him in the final.

Definately winning the league cup with my first ever team Preston in EC 379 back in 2008. We were in the championship at the time so winning a trophy like that was amazing! This team always has a place in my heart.

Like - How they made this forum, it is probably my favourite place to come when I'm on the internet now. I love having banter with everyone and like to think I get on with everyone, I try not to cause arguments but if it ever came down to it I probably would say things I shouldn't ;)

Dislike - That they don't base play ratings from there performances in both real life and in that game world. I mean don't get me wrong the ratings are fair as they stand but surely it would be a lot easier to do it this way. I know a few players who could easily get a 90+ from there performances in a few of the game worlds I'm in. I hope he doesn't mind mentioning him but for example shack in EC 7046 has Pavlyuchenko who is on fire with 36 goals in 30 games last time I checked. Surely players like that should be getting a rise even if its just a +1, in real life teams like Aston Villa, Everton would be after signing him with the form he is on.

I love going to the local sports arena with my friends for a kick around, although I may be a bit of a collamity on the pitch I love playing the game and always will. Other past times would be xbox and spending my entire life on the forum, I like doing both but I know having a kick around is a lot better for me, infact I think I'm going today.

R&B all the way! I love anything R&B, Rihanna, Usher, Katy Perry being a few of my favourites at the moment. I can listen to stuff like Eminem and Nicki Minaj but I draw the line at anything more 'Hip-Hoppy' than that. I love listening to my mums music, people like Gladys Knight, Billy Ocean are pretty good examples but it is mainly about the new music for me.

BATMAN! He's got the life right? He's a hero to Gotham, he has a pretty cool side kick next to him most of the time, he has some weird enemys but always comes out on top and he always manages to have a girl hiding somewhere :P

Who is your ideal date? Celebrity - a link to a picture of him/her preferable but not essential

aaaaaaaaaaaaaakatyperry.jpg

Katy Perry....who wouldn't though? I love her look, her voice, her personality! I would love to even just meet here she is amazing!

I am currently in year 10 at high school so college is just around the corner. I would like to study Media at college because of my future career plan, I would like to go into football journalism because my experience with the match reports on the forum have been really good. I would love to get this career so hopefully carrying it on at university would help me achieve this goal (see what I did there :D)

For all my friends and family to stay well for the rest of there lives. I know it's quite common saying that but without all of them I don't what I would do without them so that is what I would wish for.

Being relatively new to the forum, what do you like and dislike about it and what advice would you give to newcomers?

I don't think there is any faults with the forum for me to be honest, I try and have a laugh with everyone, everyone on here is fair with deals for players so I couldn't be any happier.

I would definately say to new people joining the forum to just enjoy yourself, if you make enemies then don't worry about it. They don't know you in real life so bullying is nothing to worry about, just have a talk to one of the moderators and they will ge it all sorted. Other than that I like to welcome everyone aboard, for example if someone joins a gameworld I'm in I always like to welcome them aboard and hope they have the best of luck.

What's the story behind your joke-telling ability (or lack thereof)?

Cheeky so and so :P The jokes are just a thing I like to do now and again on the forum. As you probably know I am a master of the bad jokes, making people laugh (or mostly not) is something I like to do even if it does sometimes not work :D

Preston are another team in trouble though you've perked up a bit recently. Can you escape the drop?

With belief and support of course we can! Phil Brown is slowly turning the club around after the loss of Fergie junior (thanks god) so hopefully we can get out of it. Are players have confidence at the moment and are on form so the fight back is truly on now.

A pretty down-to-earth guy with a love of Preston and SM :)

Up tomorrow will be another prominent Portuguese member of the forum and I'll get sending out questions to the remaining people on my short-list for 1st interviews. After that I'll start sending out 2nd interview questions based on your answers first time round. If you'd like questions for a first interview then drop me a message :)

As you may have guessed (as my clue isn't all that cryptic :P), up next is DerbyPower; a big helper on the Portuguese leagues...

FC Porto, as long as I can remember. I also enjoy following some local semi-professional clubs such as Desportivo de Portugal. I love the general banter about these clubs going in small coffee shops. :)

And of course, I couldn't forget to mention Derby County.

I live in Porto, so I suppose the geographical proximity played a huge role, as it usually does. In fact, I see our stadium through my window first thing in the morning. Even when I'm writing these lines, there it is, shining a salute to me. It's a beautiful sight. :)

Family didn't have much influence as I live with my mother and my brother, and none of them is really into football. I was also born in a time where Porto was dominating the Portuguese football. Every kid wants to be associated with the best and Porto was and is the best. :D

My interest for Derby County would be related to a football game of some sort. Probably Football Manager or one of the old FIFAs. Anyway, I remember that I picked them up and managed them for a few seasons and eventually won the CL. Supported them ever since. I was actually sad when they were relegated from the PL back in 2008 with such a poor record.

Tough call. There are a lot of players which I looked upon as an idol. Jardel was probably my favourite during childhood. The only concept I understood from football was scoring goals and Jardel simply did that more often than any other. But my all time favourite has to be Lucho Gonzalez. It was simply touching the way that he felt the club even though he was a foreigner, and I can never forget the message he left to the fans when he moved to Marseille. His class and intelligence on the pitch are amazing. Hopefully he'll return to the club soon. At least that's the dream.

Currently I really like to watch Falcao, and I've always had a fascination for players like Fernando Gomes and Gerd Müller. Yep, I think it's pretty obvious that my favourites are basically those who bang them in. :D

I'd single out two matches: Porto x Celtic in the 2003 UEFA Cup final and Porto x Benfica this season.

The first one is pretty much a straightforward choice. It had been 16 years since our last European final and we were all dying for a new international success. We had an amazing team (Deco, Carvalho, Alenitchev, Derlei, Baía...) and Mourinho had a touch which was more similar to José Maria Pedroto than any other manager we had before. Celtic had a world-class player in Larsson and we knew we had one shot to make history. The match itself was amazing and fans from both sides were even more amazing. We scored first, but Larsson equalized twice. Derlei sentenced the match with a goal in the last minutes of extra-time. I remember very fondly the expression on the face of the Celtic fans. It was the first ever European title that I saw as a Porto fan and I think I speak on behalf of every Porto fan when I say that it was even more special than the 2004 CL final.

Porto x Benfica was the game of the year this season on the Portuguese League. We were 7 points clear in the first place and even though we were 10 fixtures into the league we knew that it would be game-over should we get one over Benfica. Anyway, this game was very special to us as it meant revenge for everything that happened in the previous year: Hulk and Sapunaru getting suspended and Benfica winning the title. Well, Benfica was trashed, simple as. I will treasure this match for years to come, specially since I was in the stadium. We claimed a 10 points advantage over them and we just had to work with it until we could mathematically be crowned as the new champions. Ironically we clinched the title 15 fixtures later precisely in Benfica's stadium.

Derby County. I succeeded in building a very cool squad starting from the zero and my first ever SM honour was achieved with this team. I've been managing them for 3 years now and I've won quite a decent share of titles in the process.

Managing a Benfica team. I am yet to understand why I picked them up instead of Porto. :confused:

Anyway, I have most of the 95+ players and I manage them since last year. Basically I win everything every season (League, Cup, Shield and even SMFA Cup). Suffice it to say, there's almost no competitiveness in this setup, and the only reason I haven't quitted yet is because Cristiano Ronaldo is the only player I'm missing from all the top guns. :D

I love SM's realism. I don't think you could expect this much quality from a free browser-based game. It's also incredible to take a look at what SM looked like when I first joined 3 years ago, and how it looks at the moment.

The match engine still gets on my nerves sometimes, but even this has had a major improvement compared to what it was back in the day.

I have a couple of interests besides football. Let's see... I like to workout. Yes, I'd say I'm disgustingly healthy for my age! :D

Also, I wouldn't be able to pass on a good game of poker. But most of all I enjoy spending time with those that I love.

I love indie rock, specially coming from British bands. Arctic Monkeys, Kaiser Chiefs and Bloc Party are among my favourites. I'm a fan of progressive house as well. It's impossible to single out a producer in this section, there are a lot of great names out there like Markus Schulz or Above & Beyond. Armin Van Buuren used to be my favourite, but he's been kind of meh lately.

Neo in The Matrix. Come on, who wouldn't want to be "The One"?

Rosie Jones. ARGGHHH!

rosie-jones-loaded-sexbeach-01-430x620.jpg

I'll have my exams in two months and hopefully I'll be able to join one of the most acclaimed universities regarding sport sciences and physical education in Portugal: FADEUP. What will come in the next 5 years depends how Portugal will be in the next 5 years. IMF is coming and I strongly suspect that my only chance will be moving abroad.

I'm sticking to the usual and say winning the lottery. Preferably EuroMillions. I'd have my whole life settled, plus I'd make a lot of people who are close to me very happy.

Many of Porto's top players are in high demand from top European clubs. Will the next batch coming through be able to keep up this form?

That's a question that can be made every single year, isn't it? Well, I hope so. Porto hasn't been this strong since 2004, both in strength and in depth. The fact that Ruben Micael and Cristian Rodriguez aren't starters says a lot about this team. As I look upon the semis of Europa League I can feel Dublin just a tiny step away and I can't stop thinking it was a shame we didn't manage to qualify for the CL last season. Obviously we won't be able to keep our top players and I look at our starting XI like a grandpa would look at his grandson. I just hope that our squad doesn't become too much damaged in July and August. We should have decent replacements though, depending on who leaves. Iturbe, Djalma and an extra striker should cover Hulk's and Falcao's departure to a certain extent, while I'd be devastated if we lost Moutinho, Fernando or Alvaro Pereira. I honestly think that we could have some outside chance of winning the CL if we kept all our players. Meh... It's tough to be a Porto fan.

Would you be for or against an Iberian league giving the Portuguese heavyweights some stronger competition?

That's a very interesting question. Our league might be poor compared to the top leagues in Europe, but I totally reject the idea of unifying the Spanish and Portuguese leagues. How would an Iberian league work out? 6 Portuguese clubs in the first division and 14 Spanish ones? What about the second and third divisions? Soon we'd have most of the Spanish clubs in the most important positions whilst only a handful of Portuguese clubs would survive. Sure, Porto would have great benefits from it. But we can't think only on ourselves, can we? It's all about identity. Portugal recovered it's independence from Spain in 1640. I'd like it to stay that way.

What future do you see for the Portuguese national team and do you think the 'golden generation' of Figo and Rui Costa achieved its full potential?

I think that the future of the Portuguese National Team will be similar to our current situation: we're always pseudo-contenders for every major competition, but in the end we never win anything because we have a deficit in quality and mentality. The Cristianos Ronaldos of Portugal will keep disappearing because the average Portuguese club prefers to fetch a cheap Brazilian player instead of promoting their youngsters. This has been our sin in the past years and we even had the embarrassment of playing with three Brazilians in the National Team at some point (Deco, Pepe and Liedson). We have a lot of talented youth players and our paradigm must change should we want to create new "golden generations". João Reis moved from Louletano (Portuguese third division) to Inter. He had the luck of having a foreign club watching his steps. Most of the others don't.

No, I don't think so. We did what we could in Euro 2000, where we were miserably knocked out by a 12-men France, but we were humiliated in Korea and Japan back in 2002 and we should have won the Euro 2004 against a weakling Greece, but Scolari ruined it all when we preferred Ricardo over the best goalkeeper in Europe at the date (Baía). Both Figo and Rui Costa performed admirably for the National Team but they lacked silverware, thus they can't say they reached their true potential with Portugal.

A very knowledgeable man on Porto and all things football then :) No idea who's up next as I need to send some more questions out :P

Archived