Cristiano Ronaldo... shaping up for 99...

playingcards

I don't necessarily rate C.Ron. at 99 myself, but I'm slowly thinking he is measuring up to the SM abstract. I'm expecting majority opposition to this, which I do appreciate and understand, but would like to put across a few reasons without the feedback focusing on my sanity.

1. Precedence. I have been playing SM for many years now, and remember the days when Ronaldinho was at the magic 99. At that time, he was a cut above any other opponent he came against. I get the impression now that Ronaldo is essentially the same; he walks out knowing he can rip a team apart, and delivers on that swagger. Henry in his prime (98) was similar, but Ronaldo has something else - more arrogance? - which could tip the balance.

2. Statistics. He's averaged nearly a goal a game with Real Madrid. That is simply phenomenal to keep up for a season, and he looks to be carrying that on into the new season.

3. Effectiveness. I have no doubt that Messi is a greater player than Ronaldo. But conversely I think Ronaldo is more complete, and more effective. He could play at CB, WB, CM and still do a world-class job. The 90 minutes of pure performance is now up there with Steven Gerrard, but with that extra flair which is required for 99.

4. Form. With the Spanish changes coming up before Christmas, the blistering start Ronaldo has made will either ebb away, or be continuing in a quite devastating fashion. His prolonged form could peak nicely with the ratings change.

5. NT. The old question. Where does Messi go when he plays for Argentina? Conversely, Ronaldo is the main man of Portugal, and as a linchpin he also delivers. This also follows in his newfound ability to wipe the floor with top-class opposition; an erstwhile problem.

In a way, I hope Messi achieves 99 before Ronaldo, but I genuinely think it unlikely now. It's not a superhuman feat to get there, it's not perfection, and Ronaldo right now seems more suitable for the classic measurements that determine SM ratings.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo... shaping up for 99...

Great reasoning playingcards and I hope that you don't get too much abuse from some on here for posting a contentious statement.

Personally I think you are spot on with your reasoning, that basically yes Messi is the more visually appealing in his style of play than Ronaldo, but Ronaldo just doesnt have ANY weaknessess in his game, left foot, right foot, header he can score with anything...

He is so effective in matches now and with Mourinho now managing him he will become even more so.

Ronaldo WILL reach 99 by the end of this season I'm sure of it and dare i say it he'll be the first player on this database to reach 100 as he's still about 5 years away from his peak....its frightening the quality and potential he has!

I don't necessarily rate C.Ron. at 99 myself' date=' but I'm slowly thinking he is measuring up to the SM abstract. I'm expecting majority opposition to this, which I do appreciate and understand, but would like to put across a few reasons without the feedback focusing on my sanity.

1. Precedence. I have been playing SM for many years now, and remember the days when Ronaldinho was at the magic 99. At that time, he was a cut above any other opponent he came against. I get the impression now that Ronaldo is essentially the same; he walks out knowing he can rip a team apart, and delivers on that swagger. Henry in his prime (98) was similar, but Ronaldo has something else - more arrogance? - which could tip the balance.

2. Statistics. He's averaged nearly a goal a game with Real Madrid. That is simply phenomenal to keep up for a season, and he looks to be carrying that on into the new season.

3. Effectiveness. I have no doubt that Messi is a greater player than Ronaldo. But conversely I think Ronaldo is more complete, and more effective. He could play at CB, WB, CM and still do a world-class job. The 90 minutes of pure performance is now up there with Steven Gerrard, but with that extra flair which is required for 99.

4. Form. With the Spanish changes coming up before Christmas, the blistering start Ronaldo has made will either ebb away, or be continuing in a quite devastating fashion. His prolonged form could peak nicely with the ratings change.

5. NT. The old question. Where does Messi go when he plays for Argentina? Conversely, Ronaldo is the main man of Portugal, and as a linchpin he also delivers. This also follows in his newfound ability to wipe the floor with top-class opposition; an erstwhile problem.

In a way, I hope Messi achieves 99 before Ronaldo, but I genuinely think it unlikely now. It's not a superhuman feat to get there, it's not perfection, and Ronaldo right now seems more suitable for the classic measurements that determine SM ratings.[/quote']

1. Ronaldinho rated 99 at Barca was better than Ronaldo has ever been. 2003/2004 Henry was better than Ronaldo has ever been. Ronaldo is very very close though and might still peak? :confused:

2. For me this is down to league quality. La Liga is a very attacking league and sometimes the art of defense is questionable in many teams here. I don't think he would notch up such a tally in say the Italian league and he couldn't do it consistantly in the premiership either. Goal ratios are all good but it's more what he offers to the team as a whole. Higuain had a good goal ratio last year but for me wasn't even in the top 5 strikers in Europe that season. For example 2003/2004 Henry massed 39 goals in all competitions. But people forget he also had 19 assists which is phenominal for a striker and was indirectly involved in more goals without doubt. Could the same be said of Ronaldo? Team player?

3. Messi is better. Surely the Barca-Madrid head to heads proved this?

4. Wait till the Champions League knock out stages. That is where a rating will be gained or not and rightly so. He didn't have a very good World Cup so that in itself shouldn't be dismissed lightly.

5. Completely disagree on this one. Messi is the main man for Argentina. Did you see him against Spain where Argentina destroyed them? Whenever Argentina play the focus is on Messi. Ronaldo on the other hand may be seen as the main man for Portugal but is anything but and is more often anonymous than being a 'linchpin' as you call it. I would say people like Raul Mereiles and Bruno Alves are more important to their team.

In summary i don't think he deserves a 98 is fine currently. he hasn't done enough for a 99 yet.

I don't necessarily rate C.Ron. at 99 myself' date=' but I'm slowly thinking he is measuring up to the SM abstract. I'm expecting majority opposition to this, which I do appreciate and understand, but would like to put across a few reasons without the feedback focusing on my sanity.

In a way, I hope Messi achieves 99 before Ronaldo, but I genuinely think it unlikely now. It's not a superhuman feat to get there, it's not perfection, and Ronaldo right now seems more suitable for the classic measurements that determine SM ratings.[/quote']

1. Ronaldo yes is in form but nowehere near where Ronaldinho was when he was rated 99.

2. See the response to this by Dougiehowlett25

3. Ronaldo is a world class winger or striker.. he can't defend and thus your argument of he could play anywhere in the park doesn't really count ;)

4 and 5. He had a bad world cup and he and Messi both go missing for the national teams all to often and until they can perform consistently for their national team neither deserves a 99.

Interesting argument but dont believe he will make 99 for a number of reasons many of which have been listed above:

1. He is not better than any opponent- Messi.

2. Form has been bvery good but he is playing for Real and will have a huge number of opportunities to score in what is a very attacking league (as stated above).

3. As said above he cant defend and therefore you cant argue he is a complete player.

4. Form has been excellent but you would expect a 98 to be performing at the top.

5. As said above he had a poor world cup and failure to light up the biggest stage of all puts a huge dent in his credentials for a 99. Messi for me had a far better tourament and Xavi and Iniesta were far better. Does Ronaldo deserve 3 more than Iniesta? To be honest think 98 is about right and that he is closer to a 97 than a 99.

He needs to win a World Cup IMO. Then he'll have won everything and nothing will stand in his way off a 99. Ronaldinho had won it all when he was rated that highly.

It's similar with the Champions League. You very rarely see a player over 95 who's won neither the Champions League or the World Cup. Only Drogba and Ibrahimovic spring to mind and they have sensational goalscoring records in England and Italy.

He needs to win a World Cup IMO. Then he'll have won everything and nothing will stand in his way off a 99. Ronaldinho had won it all when he was rated that highly.

It's similar with the Champions League. You very rarely see a player over 95 who's won either the Champions League or the World Cup. Only Drogba and Ibrahimovic spring to mind and they have sensational goalscoring records in England and Italy.

You mean neither, right?

2. For me this is down to league quality. La Liga is a very attacking league and sometimes the art of defense is questionable in many teams here. I don't think he would notch up such a tally in say the Italian league and he couldn't do it consistantly in the premiership either. Goal ratios are all good but it's more what he offers to the team as a whole. Higuain had a good goal ratio last year but for me wasn't even in the top 5 strikers in Europe that season. For example 2003/2004 Henry massed 39 goals in all competitions. But people forget he also had 19 assists which is phenominal for a striker and was indirectly involved in more goals without doubt. Could the same be said of Ronaldo? Team player?

Shows that you haven't even seen him last season. Typical. I am assuming you'll say that Carlton Cole is better than Higuain as well, right?

Shows that you haven't even seen him last season. Typical. I am assuming you'll say that Carlton Cole is better than Higuain as well' date=' right?[/quote']

Diego Forlan. Diego Milito. Didier Drogba. Wayne Rooney. David Villa.

5 Strikers who had better seasons. Care to disagree? :rolleyes:

You mention Carlton Cole. I think Andy Cole would be more appropriate. 5 gilt edged chances 1 goal. But Madrid is always going to create them for him.

Diego Forlan. Diego Milito. Didier Drogba. Wayne Rooney. David Villa.

5 Strikers who had better seasons. Care to disagree? :rolleyes:

You mention Carlton Cole. I think Andy Cole would be more appropriate. 5 gilt edged chances 1 goal. But Madrid is always going to create them for him.

Andy Carroll :P:p

This is for all people (not necessarily on here) who say ronaldo is over rated. just look at his stats,assists and goals. he is as good as you could possibly be in this area. 11 goals in last 6 games, 9 in 8 in the league this year, ripping teams apart. he and messi are different players but both way above anyone in world. I must disagree that henry was better than ronaldo. ronaldo is only 25 and has been as strong as henry ever was for the last 4 years now barring injuries. henry never won the champs league whilst in his pomp at arsenal, or scored in a final. he also never reached 44 goals in a season. he has never been as good in the air as ronaldo, nor has he ever demanded a fee of 83 million pound. ronaldo and messi are as strong now as any players have been since maradona. ronaldinho was amazing but never had the goalscoring prowess of these two players. plus went missing a lot.

however im open to peoples opinions so dont start attacking me haha

its about time someone was 99 in my opinion there are far too little 95 +'s i have a team who is almost the best team man can get

cesar

maicon Puyol pique cole

Xavi fabregas

ronaldo iniesta robben

Messi

Theres only 2/3 places i can improve robben, iniesta and pique

robben for ribery ( waste of time )

iniesta for kaka

pique for vidic

but when there is only 2 or none better then 95 in one position it makes it unfair to everyone else i have nobody to compete with:confused:

coles probably the best Lb in the world and better than other 94 in my opinion there should be at least 2 95 or above Lb's

why does everyone think if someone doesnt win the world cup there not that good? its irrelevent! it's not there fault there countrie isnt good enough

Agree with that completely, look at Ibrahimovic and Eto'o for example there countries are probably never going to win the world cup, same with Rooney :L, there all still high ratings

Silverware, silverware, silverware... It's not all about goals or a demolishing start to the season.

To achieve the mythical 99, Ronaldo needs to:

a) Win La Liga and the Champions League (that's right, no 99 before Christmas).

B) Put in top quality performances in the most important matches. Yup, 4 goals against Santander tells me nothing, whereas 4 goals against Barcelona would say a lot.

c) Best goalscorer (OR thereabouts) in both La Liga AND the Champions League. Grabbing a bunch of assists would give an extra boost too.

d) Play for Portugal in the same standard as he does in Madrid. Ronaldo had two good matches and a couple of decent performances in the last two years for Portugal. All the other exhibitions were just plain mediocrity.

If he does this... I'd say he has 50/50 on the 99 at the end of the season.

Silverware' date=' silverware, silverware... It's not all about goals or a demolishing start to the season.

To achieve the mythical 99, Ronaldo needs to:

a) Win [b']La Liga[/b] and the Champions League (that's right, no 99 before Christmas).

B) Put in top quality performances in the most important matches. Yup, 4 goals against Santander tells me nothing, whereas 4 goals against Barcelona would say a lot.

c) Best goalscorer (OR thereabouts) in both La Liga AND the Champions League. Grabbing a bunch of assists would give an extra boost too.

d) Play for Portugal in the same standard as he does in Madrid. Ronaldo had two good matches and a couple of decent performances in the last two years for Portugal. All the other exhibitions were just plain mediocrity.

If he does this... I'd say he has 50/50 on the 99 at the end of the season.

erm, doesnt ronaldo already have a champs league winner and runners up medal? and several premier league titles? Already finished top scorer in it and in prem. national teams irrelevant IMO. games are irregular and often players under perform compared to normal standards.

So im not saying give ronaldo a 99 im

just saying your arguments weak. he has a lot of silverware, both individual and team. Why does it have to be with real madrid and not man utd.

erm' date=' doesnt ronaldo already have a champs league winner and runners up medal? and several premier league titles? Already finished top scorer in it and in prem. national teams irrelevant IMO. games are irregular and often players under perform compared to normal standards.

So im not saying give ronaldo a 99 im

just saying your arguments weak. he has a lot of silverware, both individual and team. Why does it have to be with real madrid and not man utd.[/quote']

Don't be pathetic. Just because he won it once it doesn't qualify him for a rise automatically, or as soon as he gains form. He needs to win it again. And again. Beat all the competition again. And again. He needs to set the bar so high that no one can touch it. This is what Ronaldinho did when he became the one and only player to ever reach 99. So, to call my arguments weak is one thing. To not understand how SM gives ratings is another.

national teams irrelevant IMO

Sadly your opinion counts less than zero to SM reviewers.

Don't be pathetic. Just because he won it once it doesn't qualify him for a rise automatically' date=' or as soon as he gains form. He needs to win it again. And again. Beat all the competition again. And again. He needs to set the bar so high that no one can touch it. This is what Ronaldinho did when he became the one and only player to ever reach 99. So, to call my arguments weak is one thing. To not understand how SM gives ratings is another.

Sadly your opinion counts less than zero to SM reviewers.[/quote']

Firstly I said I dont think Ronaldo should get a 99, i just didnt think your argument made sense, and now......i still dont.

You added that Ronaldo winning one champions league is not enough, he must win it Again and Again...this is how ronaldinho

got his 99. Well he obviously doesnt need to win it again if that is the case. Ronaldinho has one Champs League winners medal from one final against Arsenal. And only two league titles EVER!! compared to ronaldos 3 prem league titles.

I do believe that ronaldinho deserved his 99 due to

his unbelievable ability to win games on his own, he changed a struggling barcelona, and the fact they are where they are now is partly due to his form over his debut 2 seasons at barcelona. I think Ronaldo 98 is fine and he wont hit 99 till he destroys teams like barcelona and chelsea in big games for real madrid.

However i was just argueing the case that silverware, silverware, silverware is a poor argument because ronaldo has more than ronaldinho.

As for my opinion, i am fully aware it means nothing to SM reviewers and am never likely to sit on my high horse demanding they take my arguments as rating changers. im quite happy to sit under their authority and knowledge of the game. :-).

So jyst to reiterate, your argument about great performances in big games and maybe even the national team makes sense!

Your argument about silverware and goalsoring doesnt. just as a sidenote, ronaldo has a champs league golden boot. Ronaldinho does not. Ronaldo has a top scorer in prem league award. ronaldinho has never finished top scorer in a top flight....i dont think