Ioannis Fetfatzidis

Lensois

Ioannis Fetfatzidis

600_fetfatzidis1.jpg

Nationality: Greek

Position: Midfielder

Club: Olympiacos

Ionnais comes from a footballing familiy. His father was a lower league player and most notably played for Glyfada and Sourmena. Just in the latter team, his son, Ioannis, started his career. In his early teens, he moved to the perhaps biggest outfit in Greece, Olympiacos. Ioannis turned down offers from the other Athen based teams, AEK Athens and Panathinaikos, as Olympiacos offered him the same help Barca 4 years earlier offered Messi - Growth hormone treatment.

It took 5 years before Fetfatzidis sat his foot in the Olympiacos a-team. Fetfatzidis' playingstyle reminded the then coach, Zico, a Samba player playingstyle. In October 2009, after injuries on several players, Zico didn't hesitate in giving Ioannis a chance to prove himself. Ioannis took the chance he was given and was awarded with some minutes in Champions League days later in the clash against Standard Liege. Soon Zico got fired and many thought this would be the end of Fetfazidis' time in the a-squad (for now) and that he would go back the academy squad. However, for the rest of the season Fetfatzidis was still constantly named in the a-squad of Olympiacos for every matchday, but he still wasn't a regular player in the starting XI. This despite Olympiacos beeing managed by 3 different coaches within 6 months!

fet_2009_11_2_15_48_38_b.jpg

In the summer of '10, Fetfatzidis was hailed by the new coach of Olympiacos, Ewad Lienen, and Lienen said ''he had big plans for Ioannis'' and aswell ''Ioannis will be a future superstar''. However, after just a couple of weeks in charge, Lienen was fired and in came the former Villarreal coach, Ernesto Valverde.

Under Valverde, Fetfarzidis has been getting opportunities after opportunities and he has been the biggest revelation in the Superliga so far. He has been so impressive that he has already been called up to play for Greece in the Euro 2012 qualifiers. He was called up to play be in the Greece team that would face Israel earlier this month. After beginning on the bench, Ioannis was subbed in early into game as Ninis got himself injured. Ioannis torned apart the Israelian defence and despite it beeing his first cap, he was playing like it would have been his 100. If it weren't for an inconsisten Salpagidis, Ioannis might have gotten away from the game with 5 assists in his first game for Greece. Fetfatzidis was voted man of the match aswell in his debut.

In September, Olympiacos put an €12.5 million release clause on his contract and reinforced his contract until 2015.

Ioannis doesn't only have the growth problem in common with Messi, but their playing-style aswell. Speed, technique, ball-control and creativity are just some of the tools Fetfatzidis possesses. Ioannis has quickly taken both the Super League fans and the Olympiacos fans to their hearts.

EwuRlkSXfbU&feature

P.S He is known as Giannis Fetfatzidis on SM. He is rated 75 as well.

Re: Respuesta: Ioannis Fetfatzidis

Very talented player Yonathan and I have him in a couple of GC's.

Good work.:)

Thanks,

Yeah, bought him a while back in almost every of my teams aswell. I couldn't do a PTS on him though beacuse I have been so buzy with homeworks and such, but finally I had the time to make a PTS on him.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Ioannis Fetfatzidis

After his impressive debut game for Greece (which can be read about on the opening post), Fetfatzidis has once again been called up to play for Greece.

With Ninis still suffering from the injury he got during Fetfatzidis' debut (which meant that Fetfatzidis got subbed in early into the game), I can see Fetfatzidis getting another chance to start. He was the man of the man against Israel, so it wouldn't be suprising if he gets a starting place against Austria.

• 2 months later...

Is this the right time to sell or is he still improving?

He is still getting consistent playing-time at Olympiacos and is doing good. With the fact that he's actually been getting two games for the A-squad of Greece, he is of course a major talent. It isn't exactly as Greece are desperate in his talent, as they have players such as Ninis, Karagounis, Kone, Lazaros and even Torosidis (at deseprate times) to fill in on a flank. Fetdatzidis is a must keep, he is a world-beater.

Thank you for you both for the info!

I have another greek player who doesnt have a thread or at least i couldnt find it.

Do you know something about MANOLAS' date=' Konstantinos?[/quote']

Keep him, too. Manolas, along with Fetfatzidis and Ninis, are considered to be now the biggest prospects in Greek League.

He is a clear starter for AEK Athens, no.1 choice for the defence and he is only 19 years old. Next review will probably reach easily 84/85, and will also reach the 89 in the next couple of years. That is, as long as he stays in Greece, because it's very possible in the next years to move on to a bigger league. (Like Papastathopoulos, with whom have the same beginning: Both were 18 years old and were first-team choices in AEK Athens, both considered to be very good talents in defence).

Keep him' date=' too. Manolas, along with Fetfatzidis and Ninis, are considered to be now the biggest prospects in Greek League.

He is a clear starter for AEK Athens, no.1 choice for the defence and he is only 19 years old. Next review will probably reach easily 84/85, and will also reach the 89 in the next couple of years. That is, as long as he stays in Greece, because it's very possible in the next years to move on to a bigger league. (Like Papastathopoulos, with whom have the same beginning: Both were 18 years old and were first-team choices in AEK Athens, both considered to be very good talents in defence).[/quote']

I agree. Greece NT is known by solid defences, thats how they won Euro 2004. Do you think Manolas and Papas could be together as new Greece CB's for Euro 2012??

I'll keep them and hope they get good rises in the near future!

Thanks again mate!

I agree. Greece NT is known by solid defences' date=' thats how they won Euro 2004. Do you think Manolas and Papas could be together as new Greece CB's for Euro 2012??

I'll keep them and hope they get good rises in the near future!

Thanks again mate![/quote']

Right now, their cb's are Papastathopoulos and Avraam Papadopoulos, and i think these two will be until 2012. But for 2014, probably it will be Manolas and Papastathopoulos, if they continue to develop and reach their potential, of course. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...