Methods to report in-game cheating

Methods to report in-game cheating  

1. 1.

• Yes. The system is now open to abuse from cheats.
    • No. The system as it stands is fine.
    • I hadn't noticed the change.
    • I don't really care.

It seems that SM have taken the step in their recent updates to remove the ability for us to send in a detailed support ticket to report cheats. Instead we have a more limited function via the "All transfers" page. This thread is to enable users the ability to express their opinions on the move, and to survey users as to whether they feel this decision should be reversed, or if the measures currently in place are sufficient.

There are a number of threads already in existence discussing individual cases, and questioning why this move has taken place, with some speculating that it is a labour saving measure for SM; that things just got a whole lot easier for cheats in the game, whilst others have said that the "report illegal transfer" function on the "All transfers" page is sufficient.

THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR DISCUSSION OF INDIVIDUAL CASES, BUT SIMPLY A SINGLE PLACE WHERE THE COMMUNITY CAN EXPRESS THEIR OPINIONS TO SM ON THIS MOVE.

Please feel free to comment, and to register your vote in the poll above.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Methods to report in-game cheating Hesse has already done a great job of challenging all the things I disagreed with in Johns post. SM is a great game. Lots of the recent changes are really posi

Re: Does SM need to bring back the ability to report cheats with a support ticket?

Re: Does SM need to bring back the ability to report cheats with a support ticket? I totally agree with you here Stuart, i remember someone buying Aguero for a silly swap and then one manager left.

Re: Does SM need to bring back the ability to report cheats with a support ticket?

Just to add, I'm pretty sure that SM also intend to add a way to report 'match fixing' as that isn't covered under the report transfer function.

Personally I don't think that these two ways to report cheating covers all the cheating that goes on, leaving some forms of cheating without a way of being reported, but what do you think?

EDIT: Hesse, perhaps you would be kind enough to proivide links to the other threads started up so that people can see the kind of comments that have already been made there?

SM will always be open to abuse from cheats unless cheats are properly dealt with.

The new reporting system is by the by if SM just keep sending a template response saying they'll look into it or the transfer would trigger the CPS. You see tons of managers with sub 40 rep in GCs and if you report cheating in GCs the transfers are usually reversed but the managers rep stays exactly the same. It makes a mockery of whatever system's in place.

I think SM need ways of reporting every type of cheating. Currently you can report illegal transfers and multiple accounts. Isn't the first a specific case of the second?

SM will always be open to abuse from cheats unless cheats are properly dealt with.

The new reporting system is by the by if SM just keep sending a template response saying they'll look into it or the transfer would trigger the CPS. You see tons of managers with sub 40 rep in GCs and if you report cheating in GCs the transfers are usually reversed but the managers rep stays exactly the same. It makes a mockery of whatever system's in place.

I think SM need ways of reporting every type of cheating. Currently you can report illegal transfers and multiple accounts. Isn't the first a specific case of the second?

With the new changes how do you report multiple accounts? I don't think you can. :confused:

With the new changes how do you report multiple accounts? I don't think you can. :confused:

Crikey! :eek: Hadn't realised that had been done away with (and I'm in Westgate :o). Needs changing then as an illegal transfer is either not illegal or a transfer between multiple accounts (friends). Seeing as multiple accounts also foray into a banned manager making a new account to take over his old team then the change is ridiculous.

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

I have to admit that I'm not computer literate and I can only assume that this problem is a headache for SM, however, I don't believe in cheats getting a slap on the wrist, if they have been caught cheating by SM then that's it, banned, no second chance. If there is such a situation where there is some doubt to actual cheating as opposed to someone doing something innocently and being caught up in an illegal act, then there could be some form of leniency but in my opinion, cheats should be rooted out and given no second chances. I don't know how difficult this is for SM to put into action but I hope they don't just cast it aside as a mere nuisance as this would devalue a great game.

Hesse' date=' perhaps you would be kind enough to proivide links to the other threads started up so that people can see the kind of comments that have already been made there?[/quote']

Here are a couple for peeps to mull over:

http://forum.soccermanager.com/showthread.php?t=74084

http://forum.soccermanager.com/showthread.php?t=73826

I have to admit that I'm not computer literate and I can only assume that this problem is a headache for SM' date=' however, I[b'] don't believe in cheats getting a slap on the wrist, if they have been caught cheating by SM then that's it, banned, no second chance[/b]. If there is such a situation where there is some doubt to actual cheating as opposed to someone doing something innocently and being caught up in an illegal act, then there could be some form of leniency but in my opinion, cheats should be rooted out and given no second chances. I don't know how difficult this is for SM to put into action but I hope they don't just cast it aside as a mere nuisance as this would devalue a great game.

If that were the case then I would have banned long ago as I was once deemed to have been cheating, a charge I still deny, doubly so as there was nothing specifically relating to what was believed to have done.

The problem with just kicking out anyone who is deemed to have cheated is that 1) SM never even tell you what crime you were accused of; and 2) never allow any input to explain the behaviour that lead to the charge. For sure, most cases of cheating are blatent, but for those that are not SM's ability to act as judge and jury without giving any insight or input into what a person was supposed to have done is just wrong. Can you imagine any justice system in the world working that way?!

But we digress, this thread is not supposed to be for discussing all the ins and outs of the cheat system, but for the assessing the recent changes...

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

If that were the case then I would have banned long ago as I was once deemed to have been cheating' date=' a charge I still deny, doubly so as there was nothing specifically relating to what was believed to have done.

The problem with just kicking out anyone who is deemed to have cheated is that 1) SM never even tell you what crime you were accused of; and 2) never allow any input to explain the behaviour that lead to the charge. For sure, most cases of cheating are blatent, but for those that are not SM's ability to act as judge and jury without giving any insight or input into what a person was supposed to have done is just wrong. Can you imagine any justice system in the world working that way?!

But we digress, this thread is not supposed to be for discussing all the ins and outs of the cheat system, but for the assessing the recent changes...[/quote']

Jooles, as I mentioned in my post, if there is any doubt then SM should use their initiative. As I said, I'm not comp literate so I don't know how people cheat apart from the obvious multi accounts etc, and I would like to think that SM have a better handle on this situation. They have to be more clear in their Modus Operendi and not this evasive way they seem to act on this subject. Although not qualified in this department, I can only guess that honest guys have been caught up in a situation in the past. Perhaps I shouldn't continue because my lack of knowledge in this department is glaring. All I'm basically saying is if SM find cheats blatantly abusing the system, then ban them for good, not point reduction which means very little apart from the fact that others know that they have done something wrong.:)

Jooles' date=' as I mentioned in my post, if there is any doubt then SM should use their initiative.[/quote']

Trouble is that's part of the problem. In SM's mind there is no doubt, which is why they allow no input, whereas from the so-called 'cheater's' perspective there may be lots of doubt! I certainly would have like to argue the point, if they'd bothered to show me as I asked which rule I'd been deemed to have broken (there wasn't one and anything close was open to interpretation)

As I said' date=' I'm not comp literate so I don't know how people cheat apart from the obvious multi accounts etc, [b']and I would like to think that SM have a better handle on this situation.[/b]

Frankly they don't. The CPS is a joke and I've lost count of the times that I've submitted a cheating ticket only to be told that 'SM are aware of the problem'. If that really were the case then why didn't they do something about it over the last however many months that it was going on? Wake up kids, we are the CPS!

Just an example, I sent an e-mail this morning to report a cheat (an e-mail! It's come to sending e-mails now!) and the response I got stated,

We are fully aware of the players you mention but reqiure you to report any cheating through the on line help cheating tickets so we can take the appropriate action.

Well if they're so fully aware of it why do I have to fumble around trying to find out where to submit such a ticket? (there was no such place, I had to ride in on the back of one of the guys legal transfers). Why not just take the appropriate action and save us all some bother? Hmm, perhaps the CPS is lacking and they weren't really aware of it but wanted to maintain an impression that they were? Just my guess.

They have to be more clear in their Modus Operendi and not this evasive way they seem to act on this subject. Although not qualified in this department' date=' I can only guess that honest guys have been caught up in a situation in the past. Perhaps I shouldn't continue because my lack of knowledge in this department is glaring. All I'm basically saying is if SM find cheats blatantly abusing the system, then ban them for good, not point reduction which means very little apart from the fact that others know that they have done something wrong.:)[/quote']

Agreed, trasparancy would be welcome, at the very least by telling managers of what they have been accused and offering them at least some input into the matter. It will never happen, too time consuming.

But yes, if it is so blatently obvious and the cheat can't provide any defence (I think that there should be some leeway for example to new managers who were just not fully aware of all the rules, not these 'new managers' who are actually the nth incaranation of a longtime gameworld member) then kick them out. Unless they are Gold Members of course, where SM seems to give them multiple opportunities to redeemed themselves, wonder why?

Unfortunately, with the way things are now it will be harder and harder to point out the cheats, especially the more sophisticated ones. :(

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

Trouble is that's part of the problem. In SM's mind there is no doubt' date=' which is why they allow no input, whereas from the so-called 'cheater's' perspective there may be lots of doubt! I certainly would have like to argue the point, if they'd bothered to show me as I asked which rule I'd been deemed to have broken (there wasn't one and anything close was open to interpretation)

Frankly they don't. The CPS is a joke and I've lost count of the times that I've submitted a cheating ticket only to be told that 'SM are aware of the problem'. If that really were the case then why didn't they do something about it over the last however many months that it was going on? Wake up kids, we are the CPS!

Just an example, I sent an e-mail this morning to report a cheat (an e-mail! It's come to sending e-mails now!) and the response I got stated,

Well if they're so fully aware of it why do I have to fumble around trying to find out where to submit such a ticket? (there was no such place, I had to ride in on the back of one of the guys legal transfers). Why not just take the appropriate action and save us all some bother? Hmm, perhaps the CPS is lacking and they weren't really aware of it but wanted to maintain an impression that they were? Just my guess.

Agreed, trasparancy would be welcome, at the very least by telling managers of what they have been accused and offering them at least some input into the matter. It will never happen, too time consuming.

But yes, if it is so blatently obvious and the cheat can't provide any defence (I think that there should be some leeway for example to new managers who were just not fully aware of all the rules, not these 'new managers' who are actually the nth incaranation of a longtime gameworld member) then kick them out. Unless they are Gold Members of course, where SM seems to give them multiple opportunities to redeemed themselves, wonder why?

Unfortunately, with the way things are now it will be harder and harder to point out the cheats, especially the more sophisticated ones. :([/quote']

I'm with you Jooles, unfortunately, money talks all languages.

I have to admit that I'm not computer literate and I can only assume that this problem is a headache for SM' date=' however, I don't believe in cheats getting a slap on the wrist, if they have been caught cheating by SM then that's it, banned, no second chance. If there is such a situation where there is some doubt to actual cheating as opposed to someone doing something innocently and being caught up in an illegal act, then there could be some form of leniency but in my opinion, cheats should be rooted out and given no second chances. I don't know how difficult this is for SM to put into action but I hope they don't just cast it aside as a mere nuisance as this would devalue a great game. [/b']

agree with everything thats just been said here ^^..

Voted for : Yes. The system is now open to abuse from cheats.

Until I got the message from Hesse, I didn't even know this happened:eek:

Personally I think it's a complete shambles. Cheating is the one big issue, that sadly, will never be rid of on the game. But now this has just made their task a whole lot easier. I've seen deals on "all transfers" page with like 15 "reports" yet the deal will still go through, so how is that gonna stop it??

Complete mess, saddens me really. Games just on an endless decline:(

Thanks for the heads up on this Hesse

So there's just giving in are they :o Making it harder for them to stop cheats can only achieve less work for them, and just result in abuse of the system. If they make sure it's easy for people to report cheats, then you can stop the problem. Don't really get the whole thought of the idea.

:(I feel strongly about this issue as my account was hacked and I lost lots of great teams just a week ago

SM need to be stepping up the efforts to get rid of cheaters but they seem to be makeing sure that they do everything they can to ensure LESS work for themselves they are lazy people at sm :(

and someone mentioned this already but money talks louder than catching cheaters unfortately :(

i voted the systems open to abuse

I have largely avoided GC's, perhaps the biggest refuge of the cheat and instead opted for well run customs or tight forum based EC's. So happily ( luckily perhaps), i have never had reason to report a cheat so my opinion on all of this is perhaps less valuable.

What i would say is that as long as i can remember SM has battled against the cheats amongst us but continue to be hampered by a relatively small support staff who quite often are faced with a deluge of cheat related issues. Maybe the problem is not how cheats are reported but the limited resources available to deal with accusations, sadly the only way to rectify that is more staff with the additional costs passed onto us ?

Thank you to all of you who have taken the time to either vote, comment, or both. I think that we can see from the poll so far, that this is a situation that the community are less than happy about, and that SM need to do something to resolve the issue.

I just wanted to pick up on a few points:

The snaky gets! Can't believe this has happened without even the courtesy of an announcement.

I found this particularly disappointing too. In fact it was only when I tried to report an instance of cheating (which coincidently had nothing at all to do with a transfer' date=' but rather someone attempting to manipulate the transfer market) that I found out that the system had changed, and effectively my means of raising a ticket no longer existed.

So there's just giving in are they :o Making it harder for them to stop cheats can only achieve less work for them, and just result in abuse of the system. If they make sure it's easy for people to report cheats, then you can stop the problem. Don't really get the whole thought of the idea.

I don't think it's necessarily that SM have "given up", that's a little unfair given that a system still exists. What is clear though is the new system does not cover every scenario, and from the votes of the community, and the comments already made, is deemed to be woefully inadequate by us, the users.

Hi Guys,

Does SM need to bring back the ability to report cheats with a support ticket?

The ability to report a cheat with a support ticket is there and available for all to use. We have simply moved the place where you do the reporting to make the system easier for members to report cheating. If people haven't tried the new system I would advise they have a look at it before posting comments in this thread.

Therefore I do not understand the question, poll and responses in this thread.

Firstly we did not announce the support changes but they are blatantly obvious to anyone who went to use the new help system. It also clearly states how you now report any cases of transfer cheating.

The way you report cheating is now to go to the 'All Transfers' section click on the transfer you wish to report and type in a sentence or two regarding the deal/managers. This then creates a ticket, like it used to, which is investigated and answered by our support staff just as it always has done.

We have not changed the system but made it easier and more streamlined for members to report cheating transfers.

As a testament to how well this new system is a lot easier to use we are now receiving on average 68% more reported cases of cheating than we used to from members of the game! If we are receiving more tickets then the system must be easier and better than it previously was.

Therefore the charges that we are doing this to cut down on cheating tickets and cut costs does not hold up. We have also in the last month taken on more support staff.

We are also introducing a new way to report any match fixing cheating, which will be available in the next few days, on the match report page.

On top of this we have also invested a huge amount of resources into improving the Automated Transfer Monitoring System and our continuing to do so as one of our top priorities. We are by no means being 'soft' on cheats. It is not in our interest to have cheats on the game. It puts other users off playing and they take up clubs that other 'genuine' users could have.

Hi Guys' date='

Does SM need to bring back the ability to report cheats with a support ticket?

The ability to report a cheat with a support ticket is there and available for all to use. We have simply moved the place where you do the reporting to make the system easier for members to report cheating. If people haven't tried the new system I would advise they have a look at it before posting comments in this thread.

Therefore I do not understand the question, poll and responses in this thread.

Firstly we did not announce the support changes but they are blatantly obvious to anyone who went to use the new help system. It also clearly states how you now report any cases of transfer cheating.

The way you report cheating is now to go to the 'All Transfers' section click on the transfer you wish to report and type in a sentence or two regarding the deal/managers. This then creates a ticket, like it used to, which is investigated and answered by our support staff just as it always has done.

We have not changed the system but made it easier and more streamlined for members to report cheating transfers.

As a testament to how well this new system is a lot easier to use we are now receiving on average 68% more reported cases of cheating than we used to from members of the game!

Therefore the charges that we are doing this to cut down on cheating tickets and cut costs does not hold up. We have also in the last month taken on more support staff.

We are also introducing a new way to report any match fixing cheating, which will be available in the next few days, on the match report page.

On top of this we have also invested a huge amount of resources into improving the Automated Transfer Monitoring System and our continuing to do so as one of our top priorities. We are by no means being 'soft' on cheats. It is not in our interest to have cheats on the game. It puts other users off playing and they take up clubs that other 'genuine' users could have.[/quote']

I think a key issue is that you don't have to have dubious transfers to be cheating. I know you're introducing a way to report match fixing soon but suppose you ban manager X from his club and he creates a new account to take it over again. Losing the multiple accounts support ticket means we can't report this.

Thank you John. I've been trying to report a cheat but can't (see below), and was worried that under the new format you were just clicking a button and not being given a chance to explain.

I agree with the Dev that SM has always taken cheating seriously despite probably getting a high percentage of unfounded claims.

I have found one small hitch, being if a transfer goes through a day or so before a season turns over, the transfer disappears from the "All Transfers" list as it is now Turn 1, and I can't find a way to go back a turn and report it. I'm having this problem now.

Thank you for taking the time to respond John, if nothing else the thread has got your attention like it was supposed to. If however, I could respectfully make a few points of my own to your response.

Firstly we did not announce the support changes but they are blatantly obvious to anyone who went to use the new help system.

If indeed it was so blatantly obvious, then why is that there have been several threads created across the forum querying how to report certain types of cheating? And how come no one seemed to know the answer?

This assumes that the cheating relates to a specific transfer, which had you read through the thread in detail, would have been clear is not always the case. Sometimes cheats can use underhand means to manipulate the transfer market, not to mention issues with duplicate accounts or reneging on agreed "multipart" deals.

I'm sure that this was your intention, and most of the recent changes made have been excellent, but it is clear that this is in fact, not the case.

As a testament to how well this new system is a lot easier to use we are now receiving on average 68% more reported cases of cheating than we used to from members of the game! If we are receiving more tickets then the system must be easier and better than it previously was.

How long has the new system been running exactly? I only noticed the change a couple of weeks ago, and if it was bought in with the last raft of changes made, then statistically I would not regard that as a reliable enough statistical period to quote, as it is simply not long enough.

When you click on the transfer that you wish to report, a very small text box appears to enter details. This gives the impression that you are limited in the detail that you can type. Is there a text limit to this box? If so, it might be advisable to say what it is.

Tickets were easy to get multiple acounts banned (I have reported many blatent cheaters and SM always does the right thing).

Only bad thing with the tickets is that I was banned because someone said I had multiple accounts (I have never) but SM gave me my team back a week later.

Still needs improving though imo.