The Politics Thread

Stuart H

Re: The Politics Thread

How would you feel being stopped entering a restaurant just because of being fat ?

it is an absolutely ridiculous idea and not even worthy of discussion.

Basically advocating a form of discrimination. if they are fat it is there problem if they want to address it, nothing to do with the restaurant whose only concern is to serve food to the punters who walk through the door.

as I say it is basically a form of discrimination, what next ban Alcoholics from pubs.....

Never gunna happen Nd neither should it.

it is an absolutely ridiculous idea and not even worthy of discussion.

Basically advocating a form of discrimination. if they are fat it is there problem if they want to address it' date=' nothing to do with the restaurant whose only concern is to serve food to the punters who walk through the door.[/b']

as I say it is basically a form of discrimination, what next ban Alcoholics from pubs.....

Never gunna happen Nd neither should it.

Not as ridiculous as most would think.

By the same logic we should make all drugs legal as well, its "there problem"

Not as ridiculous as most would think.

By the same logic we should make all drugs legal as well' date=' its "there problem"[/color']

yes it is ridiculous and don't need any explanation.

One is discriminating against somebody because of the way they look, one is not.

if somebody wants to eat themselves to death, if somebody wants to drug themselves up until they pass away I couldn't care less.

It is each to there own Nd people should as long as they operate within the boundaries of law be able to do what they want. It is your personal responsibility to keep yourself healthy not everybody else's.

last time I checked taking drugs was a criminal offence, eating as many Mars bars as you like aint. If you stop eating you die, if you stop taking drugs you don't.

yes it is ridiculous and don't need any explanation.

One is discriminating against somebody because of the way they look' date=' one is not.

if somebody wants to eat themselves to death, if somebody wants to drug themselves up until they pass away I couldn't care less.

It is each to there own Nd people should as long as they operate within the boundaries of law be able to do what they want. It is your personal responsibility to keep yourself healthy not everybody else's.

last time I checked taking drugs was a criminal offence, eating as many Mars bars as you like aint. If you stop eating you die, if you stop taking drugs you don't.[/quote']

Not the best attitude, but I can understand you opinion none the less.

Mars bars imo should be illegal, as they are to some a drug.

Its in the governments own interests to stop obesity, as they ultimately end up paying for obese care and deaths etc.

Not the best attitude' date=' but I can understand you opinion none the less.

Mars bars imo should be illegal, as they are to some a drug.

Its in the governments own interests to stop obesity, as they ultimately end up paying for obese care and deaths etc.[/color']

Why is it not the best attitude, perhaps you should question your attitude....what right do you have to tell somebody how to live there life?

I wouldn't dream of telling you or anybody how to live there life it is personal choice. As I say as long as you operate within the boundaries of law you should be free to do as you like.

All you are basically doing is trying to humiliate a bunch of people based on nothing more than appearance which can't be right in the slightest.

Why is it not the best attitude' date=' perhaps you should question your attitude....what right do you have to tell somebody how to live there life?

I wouldn't dream of telling you or anybody how to live there life it is personal choice. As I say as long as you operate within the boundaries of law you should be free to do as you like.

All you are basically doing is trying to humiliate a bunch of people based on nothing more than appearance which can't be right in the slightest.[/quote']

A non caring attitude is good?

:confused:

Every right to advise them a better life style :eek:

But you dont have the right to force them to agree.

Its kind of like if you see someone about to jump of a building, you are going to talk them out of it arent you? or just say "jump mate" and walk away?

A non caring attitude is good?

:confused:

Every right to advise them a better life style :eek:

But you dont have the right to force them to agree.

Its kind of like if you see someone about to jump of a building' date=' you are going to talk them out of it arent you? or just say "jump mate" and walk away?[/color']

It is not a non-caring attitude and totally different to what you then go on to suggest which is a totally different extreme.

if somebody jumps off a cliff you know they will die immediately, if you eat another donut how can you know that will polish you off?

Goverments etc will Ll promote healthy eating plans advice etc but that is all you can do as said previously it is an individuals choice how they want to eat.

Do you want everything to be controlled by others rather than have freedom to live as you please. if you start allowing people to stop serving based on weight where does it stop can go into millions of other forms of life?

How do you want this policed? Who judges whether you qualify as "fat" what we gunna have Body Mass Indicators placed at the front of each restaurant and have each person Measured before they come in :o

Totally ridiculous idea....

eating is a personal choice, don't fall within the boundary of law Nd should be left well alone.

It is not a non-caring attitude and totally different to what you then go on to suggest which is a totally different extreme.

if somebody jumps off a cliff you know they will die immediately' date=' if you eat another donut how can you know that will polish you off?

Goverments etc will Ll promote healthy eating plans advice etc but that is all you can do as said previously it is an individuals choice how they want to eat.

[b']Do you want everything to be controlled by others rather than have freedom to live as you please. [/b] if you start allowing people to stop serving based on weight where does it stop can go into millions of other forms of life?

How do you want this policed? Who judges whether you qualify as "fat" what we gunna have Body Mass Indicators placed at the front of each restaurant and have each person Measured before they come in :o

Totally ridiculous idea....

eating is a personal choice, don't fall within the boundary of law Nd should be left well alone.

Im not taking about "controlling" others lives, but helping and giving advise.

Then surely suicide should be legal as well?

Im just saying they should get advise, not just ignore the fact that they are killing themselves, and no ones saying anything or trying to help them.

I also think its a ridiculous idea, im talking in a broad sense about obesity in our society :) not about that idea of banning from restaurants.

Im not taking about "controlling" others lives' date=' but helping and giving advise.

Then surely suicide should be legal as well?

Im just saying they should get advise, not just ignore the fact that they are killing themselves, and no ones saying anything or trying to help them.

I also think its a ridiculous idea, im talking in a broad sense about obesity in our society :) not about that idea of banning from restaurants.[/color']

The only way the western world, in particular the US and UK can tackle obesity is through a sever change in culture and attitude.

1) Being obese should not be socially acceptable. People look at it as the norm now where as it really shouldnt be.

2) People need to be educated on how and what to eat. In a age where you can get whatever you want and lots of it people need to understand the consequences of such actions.

3) PA levels have continually dropped, this needs to be addressed.

Suicide is legal. What exactly would the consequences be anyway if it was illegal? Get put into the cemetery of shame or what?

Half the time I don't even know what you are talking about and little makes sense.

You go from eating too much to jumping out of windows, from taking heroin to eating a mars bar and god knows what else.

1) Being obese should not be socially acceptable. People look at it as the norm now where as it really shouldnt be.

I disagree with that.

First of all, there is nothing wrong with somebody having overweight being socially accepted. Shall we outcast them?

Secondly, they aren't really socially accepted. They get looked at, made fun of, some people make stupid statements and you can bet on them, if having the choice, prefering to be slim.

But some people just don't have the will, the genetics or others.

Talking about banning fat people isn't a good comparison with drunks, as alcoholics can enter and drink in bars.

The best comparison I can see is increasing the tax on more unhealthy foods, based on fat, sugar and salt content. This, to me, is acceptable seeing as those who gorge on unhealthy food are more at risk of diabetes, heart disease and other health issues which would cost the NHS. Hence, they should contribute more.

However, food is necessary unlike cigarettes and alcohol, so that tax should be put back into the same market to reduce the price of more healthy options. It might also be an idea to introduce state funded cookery classes. The number of people who can't cook is staggering and then they have to resort to takeaways and ready meals. One guy I lived with in my first year at uni tried to boil a chicken breast!

I disagree with that.

First of all' date=' there is nothing wrong with somebody having overweight being socially accepted. Shall we outcast them?

Secondly, they aren't really socially accepted. They get looked at, made fun of, some people make stupid statements and you can bet on them, if having the choice, prefering to be slim.

But some people just don't have the will, the genetics or others.[/quote']

I should of perhaps worded that differently, I feel as if people are trying to make it socially acceptable / normal to be obese. In reality it isnt, it has come from an over indulgence and lack of education on what to and what not to eat. People in the western world can almost always get food whenever they want, this never used to be the case so education regarding food was less important then, but now more than ever I feel it is vital to educate future generations.

There is nothing "wrong" no, however they are a financial burden to Health services and at the end of the day they are inflicting damage upon themselves. This needs to change.

At no level should obesity be acceptable and although undoubtedly many get a little picked on during their younger years their is a growing sense of acceptance that overweight people are the norm, and they shouldnt be.

To many people blame conditions for their obesity, when in fact its just them :o

Talking about banning fat people isn't a good comparison with drunks' date=' as alcoholics can enter and drink in bars.

[b']The best comparison I can see is increasing the tax on more unhealthy foods, based on fat, sugar and salt content[/b]. This, to me, is acceptable seeing as those who gorge on unhealthy food are more at risk of diabetes, heart disease and other health issues which would cost the NHS. Hence, they should contribute more.

However, food is necessary unlike cigarettes and alcohol, so that tax should be put back into the same market to reduce the price of more healthy options. It might also be an idea to introduce state funded cookery classes. The number of people who can't cook is staggering and then they have to resort to takeaways and ready meals. One guy I lived with in my first year at uni tried to boil a chicken breast!

Was just about to suggest this

:(

Suicide is legal. What exactly would the consequences be anyway if it was illegal? Get put into the cemetery of shame or what?

Half the time I don't even know what you are talking about and little makes sense.

You go from eating too much to jumping out of windows' date=' from taking heroin to eating a mars bar and god knows what else.[/quote']

called a metaphor, mate you should know this

:eek:

If im not mistaken, you aren't allowed to take your own life.

The only way the western world' date=' in particular the US and UK can tackle obesity is through a sever change in culture and attitude.

2) People need to be educated on how and what to eat. In a age where you can get whatever you want and lots of it people need to understand the consequences of such actions.

3) PA levels have continually dropped, this needs to be addressed.[/quote']

Agreed

:)

Fat people : Should they be banned from resturants?

This isn't really a political question' date=' more a question of political correctness. In the last week, I've seentwo morbidly obese people in resturants having three course meals, including dessert, and alcohol to boot. I'm not exxagerating, this people were ridiculously over-weight. I was wondering what do people serving them think? By serving them, it could polish them off. And, without being rude, these people could also break their chairs. Would they not be tempted to refuse to serve them; it's a bit like people that have drunk too much. And would the humilitation of this even help the fat people? Motivate them to loose weight.

I apologise to any fat people who've read this and are offended.[/quote']

Now when i suggested that NHS treatment should be withheld from obese people wasn't you one of those that attacked me for being a right wind slave owner or such like?. Ordinarily of course, if i am mistaken and it wasn't you then i would apologise, but as its you i won't. And whilst we are on the subject no, Fatties should be allowed to gorge themselves to death as long as they pay an appropriate level of taxation to provide for their inevitable stay in a NHS hospital. :)

Suicide is legal. What exactly would the consequences be anyway if it was illegal? Get put into the cemetery of shame or what?.

I must say i am impressed by your little jokes Mia' date=' there has been quite a few recently ... perhaps whoever said the German sense of humour was no laughing matter was wrong after all :P[/color']

Now when i suggested that NHS treatment should be withheld from obese people wasn't you one of those that attacked me for being a right wind slave owner or such like?. Ordinarily of course' date=' if i am mistaken and it wasn't you then i would apologise, but as its you i won't. And whilst we are on the subject no, Fatties should be allowed to gorge themselves to death as long as they pay an appropriate level of taxation to provide for their inevitable stay in a NHS hospital. :) [/color']

I did say that but it certainly wasn't in that context. I think it was the gay rights debate.

I may have come across like i was poking fun at these people but i actually feel sorry for them. In a lot of their cases, they're stuck in a vicious cycle of depression and low self esteem. I actually find the "solution" of letting them eat themselves to death quite abhorrent. Saying that, i wouldn't expect any less of you, to be honest. You are such an introverted snob, i find it truely repulsive.

The banning idea is probably not the right course of action but something fairly hard needs to be done.

so you wear snake skin shoes' date=' would you want to live with em?

Silly argument[/quote']

I dont think thats what they are getting at really, I think its more of if you want to have access to the worlds products etc, you have no right to moan that you have access ot the worlds people. I fyou catch my drift

;)

i wouldnt want to live with "snake kin shoe people" but thats because i would want to wear snake skin shoes.

Such a hippy mentality

:P true' date=' but better than a violent sadistic mentality would not say?[/color']

Such a hippy mentality

Not necessarily a bad thing, rather that then, say, the EDL who pretend to care about politics and their country in order to exact their loutish behaviour, but one does need a sense of realism. Something Dunc probably struggles to get, being constantly stoned.

Not necessarily a bad thing' date=' rather that then, say, the EDL who pretend to care about politics and their country in order to exact their loutish behaviour, but one does need a sense of realism. Something Dunc probably struggles to get, being constantly stoned.[/quote']

Saw that one coming

;)

hatercat.jpg?w=500