Stuart H

The Politics Thread

Re: The Politics Thread

That's fine' date=' but people don't need to say "I will never have an interest in world affairs". You can simply say "I have more of an interest in other things right now because they're my current passions, but in due time I hope to learn more about other things too, such as the world's affairs".[/quote']

You having a hard time distinguishing not caring about the Israeli conflict and not having an interest in anything.

Without reading back, I don't know who even remotely said the former.

And no, nobody needs to say the last part just to make you feel better. Stop meddling in other people's affairs and stick to your own, mate.

No!

If a world affair interests me then I will research it' date=' understand it and follow it.

The Gaza conflict doesn't interest me, for one reason or another. That's nothing like as broad as 'why war happens'.[/quote']

Sure. You can say "The Gaza conflict doesn't interest me right now, but in due time I might take more of an interest in it"

I'd actually go the route of "the Gaza conflict doesn't interest me right now, but I'll try to see what I can do to increase my interest in it", but you don't have to do that.

You having a hard time distinguishing not caring about the Israeli conflict and not having an interest in anything.

Without reading back' date=' I don't know who even remotely said the former.

And no, nobody needs to say the last part just to make you feel better. Stop meddling in other people's affairs and stick to your own, mate.[/quote']

See my response to Stuart

Sure. You can say "The Gaza conflict doesn't interest me right now' date=' but in due time I might take more of an interest in it"

I'd actually go the route of "the Gaza conflict doesn't interest me right now, but I'll try to see what I can do to increase my interest in it", but you don't have to do that.[/quote']

OK, I will. As long as you make a sterling effort to listen to, and enjoy, death metal.

OK' date=' I will. As long as you make a sterling effort to listen to, and enjoy, death metal.[/quote']

I was exposed to quite a lot of it in middle school. Finland has a pretty sizeable culture around it. Lordi anyone?

I didn't really enjoy it but I can appreciate the fact that others might.

I was exposed to quite a lot of it in middle school. Finland has a pretty sizeable culture around it. Lordi anyone?

I didn't really enjoy it but I can appreciate the fact that others might.

Are you sure, in your heart of hearts, you've given it a fair shot?

Maybe in middle school you were a bit fed up of what the mainstream culture was talking about and felt the music all a little pointless?

That's largely how I feel about Gaza.

Are you sure' date=' in your heart of hearts, you've given it a fair shot?

Maybe in middle school you were a bit fed up of what the mainstream culture was talking about and felt the music all a little pointless?

That's largely how I feel about Gaza.[/quote']

I understand you do. That's fine, take a break and come back to it when you feel ready for it.

We are miles apart in our viewpoints so there is no real need to continue any of this.

I do think you are an intelligent person but you seem to severely lack people skills (not sure what makes you think that repeatedly stuffing your opinions and advice down people's throats will result in the desired outcome) and understanding and respect for other people's preferences.

We are miles apart in our viewpoints so there is no real need to continue any of this.

I do think you are an intelligent person but you seem to severely lack people skills (not sure what makes you think that repeatedly stuffing your opinions and advice down people's throats will result in the desired outcome) and understanding and respect for other people's preferences.

Not really, I'm very comfortable with my people skills (though we may all always do better ;)).

One of the great benefits of an international forum is that we can all be exposed to each other's worldviews and then decide for ourselves if it might be beneficial for us to borrow some from one another. And even if we don't find it profitable to do so today, it's still a worthwhile exchange to have if it happens one day down the road

I'm very aware of what you and Stuart mean, and how you feel about this. That's why I'm still here and spending the time to advocate for what I do.

We could all live like hermits and enclose ourselves in our worlds but I won't commend people like that. There are enough idiots like that in the world as it is so you won't see me waving a sign in favor of that kind of a life.

Wow this thread has got way patronising!!

Anyway trying to move on from Israel/Gaza....

Nick Griffin left his position as leader of the BNP and taken a backseat role' date=' has now been replaced by Adam Walker a former teacher who was banned from classrooms for life last year on the back of a series of incidents such as verbal abuse, chasing after students in cars, slashing there bike tyres with a stanley knife etc etc so a fitting replacement!![s'][/s]

Yes, done for by the rise of UKIP, but (love him or loathe him) i think you could say he was an interesting(?) individual, he certainly added a veneer of respectability to the old knuckledraggers in the BNP, and for a while there had the left wetting their knickers.

Not to mention saying Britain has turned into a multicultural s...hole....at least he has got the parties values down to a tee!!

...and many ( ordinary people of no malicious intent) argue he has a point, at least he had the courage to say it

As 'distasteful' as I find the BNP and UKIP, at least they've showed the major parties (and maybe the Lib Dems) that they shouldn't take 'their' electorate for granted.

Fortunately Griffin was a squashed mannequin of a PR disaster and Farage has a lot of questions to answer about expenses.

Not really' date=' I'm very comfortable with my people skills (though we may all always do better ;)).

One of the great benefits of an international forum is that we can all be exposed to each other's worldviews and then [b']decide for ourselves[/b] if it might be beneficial for us to borrow some from one another. And even if we don't find it profitable to do so today, it's still a worthwhile exchange to have if it happens one day down the road

I'm very aware of what you and Stuart mean, and how you feel about this. That's why I'm still here and spending the time to advocate for what I do.

We could all live like hermits and enclose ourselves in our worlds but I won't commend people like that. There are enough idiots like that in the world as it is so you won't see me waving a sign in favor of that kind of a life.

Create some.

Also' date=' by a modicum of understanding I do mean at least figuring out why each side is fighting and how we might be able to stop the conflict. Not *I've heard of Gaza and Israel and the news reports telling us that war is bad*[/quote']

I smell contradictions ...

I smell contradictions ...

Context is everything dear Ani

I'm not gonna start this useless debate again but basically it boils down to me not being particularly fond of people who are proud of their lack of interest in something that's important to me.

Read a fantastic interview with the former chief of Shin Bet, Yuval Diskin.

He comes across as a genuine man who wants the best for his country but is not completely blind to the things being done. Shed light on the wrong doings of both parties and gave a rather grim outlook overall.

Read a fantastic interview with the former chief of Shin Bet' date=' Yuval Diskin.

He comes across as a genuine man who wants the best for his country but is not completely blind to the things being done. Shed light on the wrong doings of both parties and gave a rather grim outlook overall.[/quote']

Read the interview too. Agreed with you.

Seems to me like one of the few Israelis who has an opinion that is logical.

Read the interview too. Agreed with you.

Seems to me like one of the few Israelis who has an opinion that is logical.

Not sure we read the same one as mine was in a German magazine I got subscribed but I assume he is voicing his opinion and concerns all over the world right now and the gist will be similar.

Seems like an intelligent foresighted man, something both sides severely lack.

....must say i am a little concerned about this whole Ebola thing, apparently its caught from eating dead bats and monkey meat, and after reading today that over 7500 tonnes of that that crap is smuggled into the UK one can only think an outbreak is likely to happen here. To make matters worse our only line of defence appears to be the border control staff at our airports etc..considering they have waved hundreds of thousands of illegals into the country i don't feel particularly reassured...:eek: