Stuart H

The Politics Thread

Re: The Politics Thread

It'll be interesting to see how the next general election goes. I think the referendum has opened up a lot of eyes and instigated some animosity about how good a deal the Scottish actually get. Lots more spending per head, free prescriptions, free university, etc. all paid for by the UK tax payer.

If a party comes in and says they'll end that unfairness then I envisage them getting a lot of English votes, which make up the majority of the seats. Given the involvement of the main 3 parties in putting together a package to make the Scottish deal even more unfair, I suspect Nigel Farage is rubbing his hands with glee.

It'll be interesting to see how the next general election goes. I think the referendum has opened up a lot of eyes and instigated some animosity about how good a deal the Scottish actually get. Lots more spending per head' date=' free prescriptions, free university, etc. all paid for by the UK tax payer.

If a party comes in and says they'll end that unfairness then I envisage them getting a lot of English votes, which make up the majority of the seats. Given the involvement of the main 3 parties in putting together a package to make the Scottish deal even more unfair, I suspect Nigel Farage is rubbing his hands with glee.[/quote']

Very insightful Stuart, forget all this BBC nonsense about Tory backbenchers and UKIP. Scotlands lost to the SNP, so now just now watch Labour try and block calls for an English only chamber at Westminster, further powers for the Welsh and a EU referendum .. with a bit of luck the English electorate will eat them for breakfast...:)

It'll be interesting to see how the next general election goes. I think the referendum has opened up a lot of eyes and instigated some animosity about how good a deal the Scottish actually get. Lots more spending per head' date=' free prescriptions, free university, etc. all paid for by the UK tax payer.

If a party comes in and says they'll end that unfairness then I envisage them getting a lot of English votes, which make up the majority of the seats. Given the involvement of the main 3 parties in putting together a package to make the Scottish deal even more unfair, [b']I suspect Nigel Farage is rubbing his hands with glee.[/b]

And here I am waiting for Romanians to move in next door to him haha.

Started to write a big response to the result but frankly I don't know enough about the politics of Scotland for it to have meant anything, even to myself. Found myself writing in circles about nothing in particular.

For what it's worth, I think the right decision was made. And I also think we shouldn't be giving away huge amounts of power to Scotland. The way I see it, they have a pretty good deal as things stand currently.

The nazi's are burning the saltire in George square! This is the beginning of civil unrest! This is what your NO vote wins

I'm sure the Yes voters would have been extremely civilised had they been successful...

Salmond has brought the worst out of Scotland with this referendum. Half the country hates the other half.

I'm sure the Yes voters would have been extremely civilised had they been successful...

Salmond has brought the worst out of Scotland with this referendum. Half the country hates the other half.

The Yes folk were civilised all week FYI and had been today right up until they were charged at by British nationalists who weren't content with winning the referendum and decided to attack Glaswegians as we are now in their eyes a 'republican' city :rolleyes:

Hate to burst your Salmond-hating bubble but it's nothing to do with him - these scumbags are the same cretins that have plagued Northern Ireland and Ibrox for decades.

There's been plenty good-natured banter before and after the result but the idiots who showed up tonight are not representative of No voters, not representative of decent Rangers fans, and certainly not representative of what I hold to be best of British :mad:

The Yes folk were civilised all week FYI and had been today right up until they were charged at by British nationalists who weren't content with winning the referendum and decided to attack Glaswegians as we are now in their eyes a 'republican' city :rolleyes:

Hate to burst your Salmond-hating bubble but it's nothing to do with him - these scumbags are the same cretins that have plagued Northern Ireland and Ibrox for decades.

There's been plenty good-natured banter before and after the result but the idiots who showed up tonight are not representative of No voters' date=' not representative of decent Rangers fans, and certainly not representative of what I hold to be best of British :mad:[/quote']

I can't pretend to know firsthand, but I've read several stories of Yes vandalism towards No supporters. Stuff like defacing no signs and property. Sounds a lot like intimidation and the vote itself being won by a much larger margin than the polls suggested supports that No voters felt afraid of making their opinion public.

I agree with your general point though. Stuff like this creates an environment where cretins can assemble. Doubt it has anything to do with the politics really.

what an idiot you are...you know nothing of Scotland..all you know is what you see on the BBC..which is nothing. Glasgow is worse than Belfast. the IRA and UVF get most of their funding from Scotland. many many members of the Irish paramilatry groups are scottish. nearly half the bombings in London by the IRA were carried out by scottish bombers.

Now the Nazi's and the SDL think they have won the lottery with the NO vote victory

what an idiot you are...you know nothing of Scotland..all you know is what you see on the BBC..which is nothing. Glasgow is worse than Belfast. the IRA and UVF get most of their funding from Scotland. many many members of the Irish paramilatry groups are scottish. nearly half the bombings in London by the IRA were carried out by scottish bombers.

Now the Nazi's and the SDL think they have won the lottery with the NO vote victory

And they are a tiny tiny minority of the people who will have voted No.

When has that been any different?

I can't pretend to know firsthand' date=' but I've read several stories of Yes vandalism towards No supporters. Stuff like defacing no signs and property. Sounds a lot like intimidation and the vote itself being won by a much larger margin than the polls suggested supports that No voters felt afraid of making their opinion public.

I agree with your general point though. Stuff like this creates an environment where cretins can assemble. Doubt it has anything to do with the politics really.[/quote']

I'm quite sure that plenty No signs were defaced by Yes but given that the entire Kingdom-wide press were against independence then I fear that instances of No defacing Yes banners probably weren't highlighted to the same degree.

Defacing banners, graffiti etc isn't ideal but when literally millions of people are engaged in the debate it's inevitable that level of naughtiness will happen on both sides.

Just as the majority of Yes voters weren't voting for nationalist reasons likewise the majority of No's didn't appear to be voting No out of any great love of Westminster.

The majority giving their reasons for voting No were citing financial concerns; either that they didn't think Scotland was financially viable or that they personally thought they'd be worse off - no wonder then that they kept quiet as those opinions (while perfectly valid) just sound selfish and pessimistic next to Yes reasons (however idealistic they may sound) such as reducing inequality, poverty, getting shot of nukes etc.

Just as the majority of Yes voters weren't voting for nationalist reasons likewise the majority of No's didn't appear to be voting No out of any great love of Westminster.

The majority giving their reasons for voting No were citing financial concerns; either that they didn't think Scotland was financially viable or that they personally thought they'd be worse off - no wonder then that they kept quiet as those opinions (while perfectly valid) just sound selfish and pessimistic next to Yes reasons (however idealistic they may sound) such as reducing inequality' date=' poverty, getting shot of nukes etc.[/quote']

I think you'd struggle to find many in the UK who love Westminster, let alone Scotland.

From the outside looking in, I think most of the concerns were economic which are perfectly reasonable concerns to have IMO. Salmond didn't have a concrete plan for a currency or EU membership. He was asking the people to take a huge step into the unknown and it's no surprise that many didn't have faith in him.

Riots in Glasgow city centre for the last 4 hours... The nazis are burning the saltire in George square and attacking men women and children all over the city... They have even set fire to the Glasgow Herald offices because it backed the YES campaign......

You won't see this on the news either

Surely then in that case last nights ''high jinks'' are nothing unusual and have little to do with the referendum. On another note i read that 70% (?) of the 16-17 year old youth vote went with the yes campaign' date=' oh to be young and gullible again :) [/color']

Surely then in that case last nights ''high jinks'' are nothing unusual and have little to do with the referendum. On another note i read that 70% (?) of the 16-17 year old youth vote went with the yes campaign' date=' oh to be young and gullible again :) [/color']

The hatred they hold already existed and is passed down father to son - Glasgow voting Yes and the presence of Yes voters in George Square merely gave them a convenient excuse/target - exacerbated no doubt by it being a Friday night and frustration at Rangers most recent financial woes.

I hadn't heard the 70% of 16/17 year olds figure, but I had heard 67% of over 60's voted No - proof that wisdom doesn't always come with age.... ;)

I hadn't heard the 70% of 16/17 year olds figure' date=' but I had heard 67% of over 60's voted No - proof that wisdom doesn't always come with age.... ;)[/quote']

Yes and that was a sample of just over 2000 voters:rolleyes:

Look we voted NO end off! I voted no, as the No side gave me no reason to vote yes, if they could of answered the currency question and been a bit more detailed with tax interest rates etc then i might of voted 'yes'.

Also the vote rigging thing is doing my nut in, on the aberdeen Fc forum, many of the posters are 'yes' and were vote counters verifiers etc and have said there is no way that votes could have been tampered with;)

but the 10 people who turned up and found out that someone had already taken their vote needs to be looked into, but thats was in Glasgow....so i dont expect anything less:rolleyes:

What this referendum has done is change British politics forever!;)

Yes there are a few idiots on both sides and some folk just like a scrap, you just have to go to various football matches in scotland to see that:(

I could go on but cant be assed, im sick of the rubbish on FB too, but im sure it will all settle down, but there will always be a unionist and nationalist side thats for sure

Look we voted NO end off! I voted no' date=' as the No side gave me no reason to vote yes, if they could of answered the currency question and been a bit more detailed with tax interest rates etc then i might of voted 'yes'.

Also the vote rigging thing is doing my nut in, on the aberdeen Fc forum, many of the posters are 'yes' and were vote counters verifiers etc and have said there is no way that votes could have been tampered with;)

but the 10 people who turned up and found out that someone had already taken their vote needs to be looked into, but thats was in Glasgow....so i dont expect anything less:rolleyes:

What this referendum has done is change British politics forever!;)

Yes there are a few idiots on both sides and some folk just like a scrap, you just have to go to various football matches in scotland to see that:(

I could go on but cant be assed, im sick of the rubbish on FB too, but im sure it will all settle down, but there will always be a unionist and nationalist side thats for sure[/quote']

Amen....a sensible post with no nationalism rubbish....

First paragraph is the hub of it all, major questions that could not be answered....

Look we voted NO end off! I voted no' date=' as the No side gave me no reason to vote yes, if they could of answered the currency question and been a bit more detailed with tax interest rates etc then i might of voted 'yes'.[/quote']

Most opinion polls during the referendum were samples of just over 1000 so the poll Dave brought up is actually twice as accurate as any ordinary opinion poll ;)

Even if the poll is a bit out it still seems obvious that over the coming years as the auld yins fall off their perch (god bless 'em) and are replaced in the electorate by more young adults the 400,000 No majority will be naturally eroded.

And that's before you factor in thousands of folk such as your good self who would be prepared to vote Yes with a bit more reassurance over currency/ tax etc. ;)

All pro-Yes parties memberships have shot up since the result, and with support for Labour draining away then Gordon Brown will need to get these wonderful 'new powers' delivered pronto otherwise next time Yes will be even stronger :)