The Politics Thread

Stuart H

Re: The Politics Thread

Jeremy Paxman is a truly excellent interviewer. Cameron's not a bad debater at all (has the best of Ed in the majority of PMQs) but he's been put straight onto the ropes. Will be interesting to see how Miliband copes with the same treatment.

Channel 4 by the way.

I thought Cameron stood up pretty well to be honest and that Milliband was torn apart to a certain extent....

Milliband is clueless, as is Ed Balls all in all not an inspiring choice for opposition now is it?!?!

I thought Cameron stood up pretty well to be honest and that Milliband was torn apart to a certain extent....

Milliband is clueless' date=' as is Ed Balls all in all not an inspiring choice for opposition now is it?!?![/quote']

Think Cameron had a tough first half of interview before being able to talk about his policies more in the second. He played the room on his audience questions very well without really answering a great deal. I do think that his main point that in order to invest in public services we need a strong economy is good, and the evidence of the recovery under the Tories is clear, whilst Labour haven't really said what they'd do differently.

I'd agree completely on Miliband, but thought the number and severity of the personal attacks were unnecessary, from both the audience and Paxman. If I were thinking of voting Labour, I don't think I'd be put off by comments about his appearance or demeanor.

Farage will be looking forward to his time in the ring with them, particularly in the opposition leaders debate where I think he'll tear Ed a new one.

Nigel Farage uses every weapon in the bag to combat tourism/immigration. Surely he'll dominate the next debate.

TBF Nigel Farage does have a point on immigration particuarly on the workers issue regarding the amount of money we give to foreign immigrants for work Britons could do.....

I mean look at the catastrophic amount of money on foreign waste around this country Take Angel Di Maria or Radamel Falcao for instance...

Nicola Sturgeon won the debate hands down. I'm tempted to vote SNP even though I'm not Scottish.

Vote Labour= Vote SNP

TBF Nigel Farage does have a point on immigration particuarly on the workers issue regarding the amount of money we give to foreign immigrants for work Britons could do.....

I mean look at the catastrophic amount of money on foreign waste around this country Take Angel Di Maria or Radamel Falcao for instance...

Or Britons are not skilled enough in required departments and are paid accordingly to their work standards whilst the foreigners can do the job for more pay but far more effectively.

Take this for instance.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2866228/After-sandwich-firm-supplies-M-S-forced-recruit-staff-Hungary-importing-brickies-1-000-week.html

I can also, tell you from experience, having worked on house extension over the summer, I saw how much more effective the foreign people are compared to the British who as soon as the supervisors are not around just laze around, and drink their tea and biscuits

Eh to vote SNP you have to live in Scotland' date=' ;)[/quote']

That's quite embarrassing. :o I wasn't actually aware of that.

I think the best outcome for the elections would be a Labour/SNP coalition. So it'll be a vote for Labour from me. :)

Or Britons are not skilled enough in required departments and are paid accordingly to their work standards whilst the foreigners can do the job for more pay but far more effectively.

Take this for instance.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2866228/After-sandwich-firm-supplies-M-S-forced-recruit-staff-Hungary-importing-brickies-1-000-week.html

I can also' date=' tell you from experience, having worked on house extension over the summer, I saw how much more effective the foreign people are compared to the British who as soon as the supervisors are not around just laze around, and drink their tea and biscuits[/quote']

^^This^^

Take this for instance.

I can also' date=' tell you from experience, having worked on house extension over the summer, I saw how much more effective the foreign people are compared to the British who as soon as the supervisors are not around just laze around, and drink their tea and biscuits[/quote']

Good God, don't tell me you couldn't work out my comments were tongue in cheek...

Mind you nice of you to contest one stereotype with yet another one.

Clegg seems to be the one with very little mistakes' date=' then very little pride, but I do think he could win. I'm worried, he doesn't seem to have a dominant enough voice :o[/quote']

Clegg has - 1000000000% chance of winning.

The Lib Dems will be obliterated in these elections for various reasons, they will in all probability be usurped as the 3rd biggest party (excluding The conniving SNP numpties) in the general election as a percentage of the vote behind UKIP.

The Lib Dems made certain promises in 2010 to there "core vote" and basically broke nearly all of them they won't be forgiven and I sense a total Embaressment come Election Day.

Good God' date=' don't tell me you couldn't work out my comments were tongue in cheek...

Mind you nice of you to contest one stereotype with yet another one.

[/quote']

your statement came across as serious to me.

As for the stereotype I take it, it's the tea and biscuits bit lol, it's literally what they were doing everyday so I guess the stereotype is sometimes accurate ;):P

Saw some results from yesterday, was completely obvious that SNP won, Nicola Sturgeon did very very well, I'd be tempted to vote if she was running here.

So so surprised to hear the praise Farage got, he came off as an absolute clown every single topic came down to immigration, he look flustered whenever he was challenged his policy to take us out the EU just isn't thought through it would be disastrous for many reasons Ed touched upon. His mention of the HIV patients from abroad I honestly thought was disgusting to bring up something like that, in what world does money dominate over being human and trying to use that as a point for shutting them out the NHS was low. His Australian point system though I thought was a good idea but I doubt it would be possible to put through without dropping out the EU.

Green Party did alright but Natalie Bennett is an incredibly weak leader and at the end of the day they are just a protest vote. As mentioned above there is no way Lib Dems will ever win and I wouldn't be surprised to see them drop 5th behind Ukip and Green, while Nick Clegg is undoubtedly the best public speaker out of all of them he completely sold out his main voting demographic the students with his Uni policies and Lib Dems have lost all credibility.

Thought Labour won out in the English parties, while I still have doubt over Eds leadership qualities I thought he came off very well especially on the head to head with Cameron. I think the only thing stopping Labour from being clear favourites is Ed himself, he does seem like a weak leade, though he did well yesterday.

Cameron is just crashing and burning, he did terribly when grilled by Paxman and yesterday I honestly think he was the worst one of the lot down there with the Welsh party.

Still undecided on who to vote for but as a Uni student and what I've seen in the NHS under Cameron Labour is making the most sense.

• 2 weeks later...

I can tell you from significantly more experience that I've come across lazy British people and lazy foreign people in the building trade. I've come across British guys that work from 7am until 5pm, 6 days a week and rarely take holidays, likewise with foreign workers too. I think your summer of work is too small a sample size.

Do you know what day rate is and what working on a price is? The guys on the latter are the hard workers in general.

The more I watch and read about this election the more convinced I am that the Green Party are without doubt the biggest bunch of fantasists the world has ever seen. I mean it has no chance of happening but if they ever got power it would be Armageddon they are beyond clueless.

As for there policies and spending plans/co stings I think my six year old daughter could write a more coherent economic plan.

The more I watch and read about this election the more convinced I am that the Green Party are without doubt the biggest bunch of fantasists the world has ever seen. I mean it has no chance of happening but if they ever got power it would be Armageddon they are beyond clueless.

As for there policies and spending plans/co stings I think my six year old daughter could write a more coherent economic plan.

They're absolute nutters.

In general, I find it absolutely bizarre that in an election where the economy is so crucial, parties are seemingly unable to provide funding for anything they promise. Even the Tories are making promises they don't seem able to back up financially.

I'm in, what seems to be, a fairly safe Labour seat so I'll probably be voting UKIP. Would be going Tory if they were challenging.

Pretty obvious they're aiming at a younger demographic who won't realise the economic constraints the majority of the manifesto would encounter, though I love the idea of scraping tuition fees and loans it's not financially viable especially scrapping loans, it's far more realistic to lower the tuition like labour want to. They can say whatever they want though they're at best a protest vote, their manifesto is idealistic and their leadership is weak.

Pretty obvious they're aiming at a younger demographic who won't realise the economic constraints the majority of the manifesto would encounter' date=' though I love the idea of scraping tuition fees and loans it's not financially viable especially scrapping loans, it's far more realistic to lower the tuition like labour want to. They can say whatever they want though they're at best a protest vote, their manifesto is idealistic and their leadership is weak.[/quote']

On uni fees, a degree will still cost the same. Labour are just shifting that £3k price reduction from students onto the tax payer. It might still be a winning policy for you, but remember that there is no such thing as government money. If they plan to make things cheaper or free, it means that they're either going to cut costs elsewhere or raise taxes to increase their income.