The Politics Thread

Stuart H

Re: The Politics Thread

actually we had war cause Serbia wanna be named great Serbia when conquer territory of ex Yugoslavia' date='Russian Empire etc,for me its strictly war term,that means that state preparing expansion(which they did)[/quote']

No doubt, as historically the Balklans as a whole has long been a troubled cesspit of medieval warring factions. Certainly in GB's case the Great(er) has a totally different meaning :)

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here here.

Also Scotland dont put the Great in Great Britain :P So we would still be GB.

To all those folk north of the border' date=' I jest :)

Although I definitely see myself as English, I do also see myself as British. Nothing wrong with being a brit ![/quote']

Haha :P

Oh i'm not against the union but i know what i see myself as first ;)

No doubt' date=' as historically the Balklans as a whole has long been a troubled cesspit of medieval warring factions. Certainly in GB's case the Great(er) has a totally different meaning :) [/color']

England forced those countries in unity so they have more soldiers,instead pure conquering them,but we all know that those countries arent voluntaree joined union!

anyway do expect invasion on Iran?We all dont have much impact anyway on wars,so what worries me the most is new prices again,when Iran oil is gone from world market,prices of oil will again go up,and everything with that:mad:

England forced those countries in unity so they have more soldiers' date='instead pure conquering them,but we all know that those countries arent voluntaree joined union!

anyway do expect invasion on Iran?We all dont have much impact anyway on wars,so what worries me the most is new prices again,when Iran oil is gone from world market,prices of oil will again go up,and everything with that:mad:[/quote']

If you would care to check, the majority of people in Scotland (and Wales for that matter) want to stay in the union. But hey, who needs facts getting in the way of their ideologies?

England forced those countries in unity so they have more soldiers' date='instead pure conquering them,but we all know that those countries arent voluntaree joined union!

anyway do expect invasion on Iran?We all dont have much impact anyway on wars,so what worries me the most is new prices again,when Iran oil is gone from world market,prices of oil will again go up,and everything with that:mad:[/quote']

Oil is the main reason, whether any country will say it, of war.

There is less of it lying around.

An invasion of Iran would be too costly. In American lives, and costs of repairing injuries. And it would not be a fight America can do right now. More in 10-15 years with a new and fresher group.

And even then it is unlikely. Nobody wants a proper war, and with the Israeli's killing Iranian nuclear engineers than the world should be safe for the time being. We should all want no more wars anywhere. :)

Oil is the main reason' date=' whether any country will say it, of war.

There is less of it lying around.

An invasion of Iran would be too costly. In American lives, and costs of repairing injuries. And it would not be a fight America can do right now. More in 10-15 years with a new and fresher group.

And even then it is unlikely. Nobody wants a proper war, and with the Israeli's killing Iranian nuclear engineers than the world should be safe for the time being. We should all want no more wars anywhere. :)[/quote']

i agree with u,but USA wanna become first Real World Imperia

• 2 weeks later...

Just a bit of fun here. There's a 'trend' going around on twitter called #DaveswhocouldrunthecountrybetterthanCameron. Basically, for those not familiar with twitter, people across the country (you would expect it to be mainly people from the UK) are joining in, probably just for fun, and naming people called Dave that they think would be a better primeminister than David Cameron. Whether you love him, hate him or really couldn't give a damn, I thought it would be a fun idea to bring it up in here. The Dave you mention doesn't have to have anything to do with politics. As I said, it's just a bit of fun really...

Personally, I would go for Dave Lamb (voice over on Come Dine With Me) or our very own Dave (Longnose) :D

If you would care to check' date=' the majority of people in Scotland (and Wales for that matter) want to stay in the union. But hey, who needs facts getting in the way of their ideologies?[/quote']

I wonder where you are getting this 'facts' from?

Apart from polls which do not count, the last time a vote was held on independence for Scotland was in 1979 where 51.6% of the Scottish people voted for Independence.

Things in Scotland have changed since then with Scotland having our own devolved parliament and most importantly the parliament is being run by SNP with a majority government this time, with a great swing since the last minority government win last time around.

It would be interesting if you could substantiate your claim that most people in Scotland want to stay in the union.

I wonder where you are getting this 'facts' from?

Apart from polls which do not count' date=' the last time a vote was held on independence for Scotland was in 1979 where 51.6% of the Scottish people voted for Independence.

Things in Scotland have changed since then with Scotland having our own devolved parliament and most importantly the parliament is being run by SNP with a majority government this time, with a great swing since the last minority government win last time around.

It would be interesting if you could substantiate your claim that most people in Scotland want to stay in the union.[/quote']

from England newspapers;),and only right thing for north oil fields that Norway take it :rolleyes:

They are British owned so surely they should remian with Britain?
from England newspapers;)' date='and only right thing for north oil fields that Norway take it :rolleyes:[/quote']

Not sure-how it will be affected because if Scotland becomes a Sovereign state since international boundaries may shift.

In 1999 Tony Blair made 6,000 MILES of SCOTLAND'S SEA - ENGLISH

by moving Scotland's marine boundaries from Berwick-up-on-Tweed to Carnoustie. (http://www.oilofscotland.org/scottish_north_sea_oil.html)

which seemed to cause a 15% drop in potential revenue of Scotland.

Well there is a train of thought (Udal Law) as concerns the Shetland Islands (bearing similarity to the Falklands in some respect) about Scandinavian rights to the the Shetland Islands -which would give them a slice of the fossil fuel pie.

Not sure-how it will be affected because if Scotland becomes a Sovereign state since international boundaries may shift.

In 1999 Tony Blair made 6' date='000 MILES of SCOTLAND'S SEA - ENGLISH

by moving Scotland's marine boundaries from Berwick-up-on-Tweed to Carnoustie. ([url']http://www.oilofscotland.org/scottish_north_sea_oil.html[/url])

which seemed to cause a 15% drop in potential revenue of Scotland.

Well there is a train of thought (Udal Law) as concerns the Shetland Islands (bearing similarity to the Falklands in some respect) about Scandinavian rights to the the Shetland Islands -which would give them a slice of the fossil fuel pie.

Theres a whole host of issues to consider, Checkout this except from this recent ''keep Scotland English campaign '' leaflet..Never miss a chance to add another notch on the old post count me :)

FREEEDDOOMMMM....Careful what you wish for Dan

So the Scots (post-Thatcher) dislike of the conservative party is your reason for seeking Independence is it Dan? Whilst you bemoan the fact the UK is run by the Conservatives you are nevertheless bound ( as we all are) by the first past the post system of electing a government. Clearly you ( as a country) do not feel that strongly about it' date=' as when given the chance in the 2010 AV referendum to adopt a so called more representative (?) system you as a country overwhelming voted to continue using the current system .

[center']No said 63.64 Yes said 36.36[/center]

So aside from your countries dislike for the Conservatives ( and judging by their disastrous general election campaign Labour too), one can only think you haven’t really considered the just what independence really means for Scotland. Don’t get me wrong, its little surprise, Salmond and his cronies have been happy to play the brave heart role for years, and with the greatest respect, you lot have been stupid enough to buy into it. Its been sold to you as a chance for Scotland to finally break free of the English yoke and decide its own destiny but is it?.

One of the many things to be decided of course is what currency you would adopt?. Maybe you would like to keep the pound as a common currency between the two nations?.Of course Englands central bank would dictate interest rates etc, which in effect see the UK controlling your economy. You could make a new currency ?,but all things considered I hardly think that would be well received by the international money market do you?. As that nitwit Alistair Darling rightly said ''here is our new currency and we are not actually sure how much it is going to be worth after the first day's trading'." So your last option of course is to adopt the Euro ( if its still around :D). That would be nice ??..I mean you are familiar of course with the new treaty being adopted by the members of the Eurozone?. In short the Scottish budget would have to be monitored in Brussels ( before it is put to the Scottish parliament) and its interest rates set in Germany ( before it is put to the Scottish parliament). Still i suppose the freedom to choose will be nice :)

But then of course you are awash with oil aren’t you?..but are you ?.Much has been made over the years about Scottish oil, but the uncomfortable truth of the matter is none of it is legally Scottish, it lies in international waters ( not territorial waters). The North sea is split into ' Exclusive Economic Zones' and shared between the UK, Norway, Denmark and Germany ( with the oil being mainly in the UK and Norwegian zones). So with this in mind do you really expect the UK and Norway to allow a newly formed Scotland to walk away with all that lovely black stuff ?, that’s never going to happen. I’d expect the UK to lead all the countries in calls for an immediate renegotiation of the boundaries. I mean after all, it was UK money (not Scottish) which developed many of the North sea oil fields and paid for the infrastructure which brings it ashore. Thing is of course they would need to get their fingers out as its likely to run out in 20 years.

I must admit deciding how the oil is split is a very complicated business, but none of this is easy. I have heard it said that the split between the countries should be viewed as a divorce with an equal division of wealth and debt between the two. Undoubtedly the fairest way would be by size of the population , Scotland currently represents 10% of the UK population. So working on that basis it receives 10% of the UK international wealth ( all assets) currently valued at around 337 billion pounds. Happy days ??? Maybe not as likewise you should expect to be burdened by 10% of the UK current debt £1043 billion ( and rising). Sadly it does not stop there..who would pay Scottish pensions? .. pick up the welfare bill? ..pay for your defence?. your prescriptions?..your hospital parking ?..your universities?..etc etc. As it won’t be the UK and the ridiculously unfair Barnett formula which currently sees the UK government spending £8,588 of public money on the average English person, compared to an average figure of £10,212 for the average Scot.

As I have said many times here and elsewhere I am a firm unionist, I sincerely believe we (The British) are stronger together than we are apart and I hope I never see the day when either the English, the Scots, Welsh or the magnificent people of Northern Ireland choose to break away from the UK...:)

Theres a whole host of issues to consider' date=' Checkout this except from this recent ''keep Scotland English campaign '' leaflet..Never [b']miss a chance to add another notch on the old post count me :)[/b]

and to quote yourself :)

It's a complicated issue, but seems to have large doses of distrust on both sides.

I'm going to attempt to start another argument.

No countries go to war to help another' date=' they do it for their own good.

Ok now, DISCUSS![/quote']

Difficult question but in the broadest of terms I would agree with that statement.

Hmmm???

WW1 Once the triple alliance declared war on Serbia and Russia came to their aid..

WW2 Once the USA declared war on Japan ( after Pearl Harbour) Germany declared war on the USA.

Archived