The Politics Thread

Re: The Politics Thread

We did a lot of terrible things in the war' date=' mainly in bombings like Dresden. I do agree though that POland is not a great example.[/quote']

So the carpet bombing of German cities was a terrible thing?..totally justifiable in my opinion and would go further and say its a national disgrace that the brave men of bomber command are only now getting the national memorial they deserved

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: The Politics Thread First of all R.I.P to the guy that died in Woolwich,if he was beheaded (can't watch the supposed video that exists) that's a horrible way to die and of course noone ever ever

Re: The Politics Thread Can't help but agree with the sentiments that the IRA, and Irish people and Catholics did NOT get the kind of demonisation that Islam gets today. And they were far more succes

Re: The Politics Thread You post up the article involving one case and arguing on that basis that NHS isn't great. So you are generalising as you are implying that is all they pay for all year long.

Yes but not with us. Hitler would have lost eventually anyway' date=' so the most meaningful consequence of Britain going to war was that it stopped Western Europe becoming communist.

Hitler was an appalling military leader and his hatred of communism lost him the war. The Soviet Union had so many troops and was so big that he could not have defeated it, nor could he have helped but try.[/quote']

But if he wasn't at war with us he wouldn't have needed to focus that much on the Western Front as we wouldn't have been a threat to him. This could then allow him to put majority of his forces in the east against the Russians and as the Germans had better weapons, technology and supplies I think they would have won.

The crusades were religous in the sense that the Muslims fought for Allah and the re-conquering of Jerusalem ... while christian soldiers were lied to that partaking in the crusades and killing the infidels would cleanse them of their sins and make sure their path to God was secured!

At the end of the day it was just a suicide mission by powerhungry fools leading manipulated men into their deaths lol ( in the name of religion ofcourse )

Actually it went beyond religion -really geo-politics and religion just happened to be the instrument used. Probably the only one led by true followers of faith were the ill fated Children's Crusade.

Hitler was delusional-and they lost the war because they expanded too fast-ran out of resources. When the Soviets opened another front -the armies were stretched as the lands they conquered were scorched by the defenders so the Germans could not use resources.

A moment in our history when we saw the worst in humanity and the best.

The crusades were religous in the sense that the Muslims fought for Allah and the re-conquering of Jerusalem ... while christian soldiers were lied to that partaking in the crusades and killing the infidels would cleanse them of their sins and make sure their path to God was secured!

At the end of the day it was just a suicide mission by powerhungry fools leading manipulated men into their deaths lol ( in the name of religion ofcourse )

Of course the bishop of Rome manipulated Europes Christians ( thats what Popes do ;)) but i think the crusades must viewed with both historical and religious context.

But if he wasn't at war with us he wouldn't have needed to focus that much on the Western Front as we wouldn't have been a threat to him. This could then allow him to put majority of his forces in the east against the Russians and as the Germans had better weapons' date=' technology and supplies I think they would have won.[/quote']

The general view of historians is that they had no chance. The war was such a burden on them economically that they could not have sustained another year, and it would have taken a lot longer than that to overcome the largest most populous country in the world, whose inhabitants had a lot more resolve to fight than say Poland and France. Its not like we were up to much during Barbarosa anyway and Hitler didn't get close to victory.

Manipulated by his encouragement? ..or Encouraged by his manipulation ?... thank god for Martin Luther ;)

Fanaticism ...

The King of *I had a Dream*yeah he was pretty awesome-if you refer to the reformer -he was pretty decent himself, but as a religious reformer few beats that English King of yours m8te

Fanaticism ...

The King of *I had a Dream*yeah he was pretty awesome-if you refer to the reformer -he was pretty decent himself' date=' but as a religious reformer few beats that English King of yours m8te[/quote']

..and what a glutton for punishment mind you at least he could chop their heads off if they got on his wick.:):)

I agree that the soldiers were fighting for their religion (and money)' date=' but their leaders probably weren't. Religion didn't necessarily cause it. But this is a really hard one for me to argue because it was the crusades.

But what I'm really saying is that with most wars there is something else to them. It is usually for money, wealth, power or the fear of losing money wealth or power.[/quote']

u re 100% right..............

Of course the bishop of Rome manipulated Europes Christians ( thats what Popes do ;)) but i think the crusades must viewed with both historical and religious context.
Actually it went beyond religion -really geo-politics and religion just happened to be the instrument used. Probably the only one led by true followers of faith were the ill fated Children's Crusade.

Hitler was delusional-and they lost the war because they expanded too fast-ran out of resources. When the Soviets opened another front -the armies were stretched as the lands they conquered were scorched by the defenders so the Germans could not use resources.

A moment in our history when we saw the worst in humanity and the best.

I said that the soldiers were manipulated by powerhungry morons .... read before writing

:P

We never stood a chance to win back Jerusalem ... the Muslims fought for Saladin and for their God ... the christians fought for wealth and power :P

I said that the soldiers were manipulated by powerhungry morons .... read before writing

:P

We never stood a chance to win back Jerusalem ... the Muslims fought for Saladin and for their God ... the christians fought for wealth and power :P

lol..If you would use another colour that's easier on the eyes I would bother reading mate :P -no mention of content

And that line referred to your first paragraph :)

Who is WE?! :confused:

Can't remember Trinidad/Tobago lending anything to such debacle-but with my luck must have some great great grand (couple times removed) papy playing the banjo on one of those know your middle east tours :)

lol..If you would use another colour that's easier on the eyes I would bother reading mate :P -no mention of content

Can't remember Trinidad/Tobago lending anything to such debacle-but with my luck must have some great great grand (couple times removed) papy playing the banjo on one of those know your middle east tours :)

We as in Christians lol

lol & lol & lol & hahahahaha:D,Elohims nickname means God i guess he imagined he guide soldiers:rolleyes:

Sorry but what ?

Elohim on one language means God

From Wikipedia' date=' the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

This article is about the Hebrew word. For other uses, see Elohim (disambiguation).

And Elohim created Adam by William Blake.

Elohim (אֱלֹהִ֔ים) is a grammatically singular or plural noun for "god" or "gods" in both modern and ancient Hebrew language. When used with singular verbs and adjectives elohim is usually singular, "god" or especially, the God. When used with plural verbs and adjectives elohim is usually plural, "gods" or "powers".[1'][2] It is generally thought that Elohim is a formation from eloah, the latter being an expanded form of the Northwest Semitic noun il (אֱל, ʾēl [3]). It is usually translated as "God" in the Hebrew Bible, referring with singular verbs both to the one God of Israel, and also in a few examples to other singular pagan deities. With plural verbs the word is also used as a true plural with the meaning "gods".[3] The related nouns eloah (אלוה) and el (אֱל) are used as proper names or as generics, in which case they are interchangeable with elohim.[3]

Mark S. Smith said that the notion of divinity underwent radical changes throughout the period of early Israelite identity. Smith said that the ambiguity of the term Elohim is the result of such changes, cast in terms of "vertical translatability" by Smith (2008); i.e. the re-interpretation of the gods of the earliest recalled period as the national god of the monolatrism as it emerged in the 7th to 6th century BCE in the Kingdom of Judah and during the Babylonian captivity, and further in terms of monotheism by the emergence of Rabbinical Judaism in the 2nd century CE.[4] A different version was produced by Morton Smith. Despite the -im ending common to many plural masculine nouns in Hebrew, the word when referring to the Name of God is grammatically singular, and takes a singular verb in the Hebrew Bible.

The word is identical to the usual plural of el meaning gods or magistrates, and is cognate to the 'l-h-m found in Ugaritic, where it is used for the pantheon of Canaanite Gods, the children of El and conventionally vocalized as "Elohim" even though this is a speculation as Ugaritic as a consonantal written language only recorded consonants. Most use of the term Elohim in the later Hebrew text imply a view that is at least monolatrist at the time of writing, and such usage (in the singular), as a proper title for the supreme deity, is generally not considered to be synonymous with the term elohim, "gods" (plural, simple noun). Hebrew grammar allows for this nominally-plural form to mean "He is the Power (singular) over powers (plural)", or roughly, "God of gods". Rabbinic scholar Maimonides wrote that the various other usages are commonly understood to be homonyms.[5] The plural form ending in -im can also be understood as denoting abstraction, as in the Hebrew words chayyim ("life") or betulim ("virginity"). If understood this way, Elohim means "divinity" or "deity".

So now you brand all followers of Christ/Peter as participants in a silly war to win back Jerusalem ..:D

If you wish to read it in that context

:rolleyes:

In Sweden' date=' we often use the word We for different things when explaining stuff :P

If you belong to a group of fans = we

if your swedish WE as a country owned half of Europe at one point in time etc.

WE as a christian people lol :P[/center']

If you wish to read it in that context
:rolleyes:

In Sweden' date=' we often use the word We for different things when explaining stuff :P

If you belong to a group of fans = we

if your swedish WE as a country owned half of Europe at one point in time etc.

WE as a christian people lol :P[/center']

Oh okay :confused: bit like people claiming reparations for injustices done to their ancestors.

personally i do

:) Some people do-as you indicated personal choice