Stuart H

The Politics Thread

Re: The Politics Thread

232632d1332588329-wolves-the_sun_logo.jpg

A DRIVER mowed down a young woman on a pedestrian crossing and dashed off — because he was late to collect his benefits.

Balram Singh, 21, had no licence or insurance when he was rushing to pick up his Jobseeker's Allowance. He ignored a red light and ploughed into Kate Allan, 23, who crashed into his windscreen before landing in the road. Singh then raced off in Brentry, Bristol — missing her head by a fraction. In a victim impact statement, Miss Allan told a court: "If I had not moved my head out of the way of the car he would have driven over me." She escaped serious injury but was left with pain to her right leg, neck, ribs and down the left side of her body.

Bristol Crown Court also heard she was still suffering pain two months after the crash last December. When cops tracked down Singh — who ended up being too late to collect his payment — he told them he did not stop because he wanted "to come home and look on the internet to see what would happen to me". Singh, who had driven a relative's VW Polo without permission, admitted aggravated vehicle taking, failing to stop and driving without a licence and insurance.He was given an eight-month suspended sentence, a two-year driving ban and a four-month curfew. He was also told to do 300 hours of unpaid work and pay £1,500 in compensation. Judge Neil Ford QC, Recorder of Bristol, gave him credit for his lack of previous convictions, early guilty pleas and "genuine remorse".

But after the hearing Singh moaned his sentence was unfair.He said: "I was very lucky not to get sent to prison but I think the two-year ban was a little harsh because it's really going to hurt my hunt for a job. "I'm not a bad driver — I just hadn't passed my test. "I feel bad for what happened, and if something like that happened again, I now know what to do. "I don't think it's fair that the judge ordered me to pay £1,500 out of my jobseekers. The ban and community order were enough of a punishment."

STUDENT Liam Stacey was led away sobbing in handcuffs yesterday as he was jailed for a sick racist tirade on Twitter after soccer's Fabrice Muamba almost died on the pitch.

The biology undergraduate, 21, fell into the arms of his mum as he was taken from the dock — his university prospects wrecked by his idiocy.

Boozed-up Stacey tweeted as the Bolton Wanderers star, 23, fought for life after his heart attack at Spurs 11 days ago: "LOL (laugh out loud). F*** Muamba. He's dead!!!"

District Judge John Charles slammed the "vile and abhorrent" posting, which Stacey followed up with frenzied racist abuse when fellow Twitter users — many of them black — objected.University student's mum Hayley, 46, and office worker dad Neale, 49, looked visibly shocked as the venomous messages were read out. Judge Charles, who was presiding at Swansea Magistrates Court, was unmoved by pleas to not jail their son — who was in the third year of his degree course and about to take finals. He caged the student for eight weeks, declaring that he had caused "public outrage". The judge said that when Muamba collapsed, "it was not the football world who was praying for him — everybody was praying for his life".

Can anybody explain to me what the hell is going on here?..How the hell does a guy get off with hit and run , but another goes down for abusing a footballer?. What sort of legal system is this?. Surely the physical damage ( or at least potential damage ) caused by Singh the scrounger outweighs the hurt feels caused by lary Liam?. Surely the punishments imposed should be the other way ?. And lets be honest about it, will these unfortunate events change Balram’s life forever?, will it count against him in the future?, I doubt it, but in the same breath is not Liams education and professional life going to be left in tatters?. I'm not condoning Liams rant, but this bollo cannot not be viewed as anything other than a victory for political correctness over proportion.

BLOODY MADNESS !!

232632d1332588329-wolves-the_sun_logo.jpg

Can anybody explain to me what the hell is going on here?..How the hell does a guy get off with hit and run ' date=' but another goes down for abusing a footballer?. What sort of legal system is this?. Surely the physical damage ( or at least potential damage ) caused by Singh the scrounger outweighs the hurt feels caused by lary Liam?. Surely the punishments imposed should be the other way ?. And lets be honest about it, will these unfortunate events change Balram’s life forever?, will it count against him in the future?, I doubt it, but in the same breath is not Liams education and professional life going to be left in tatters?. I'm not condoning Liams rant, but this bollo cannot not be viewed as anything other than a victory for political correctness over proportion.[/b']

BLOODY MADNESS !!

Whilst I agree with you that the first incident is much more serious, the punishment probably hurts him a lot more than some cushty jailtime. He'll now struggle to find work and faces a much deteriorated standard of living with the heavy fine. Similarly, some time inside will undoubtedly affect that racist kid much more than some community service and a fine he can pay out of his student loan.

Whilst I agree with you that the first incident is much more serious' date=' the punishment probably hurts him a lot more than some cushty jailtime. He'll now struggle to find work and faces a much deteriorated standard of living with the heavy fine. Similarly, some time inside will undoubtedly affect that racist kid much more than some community service and a fine he can pay out of his student loan.[/quote']

Can't disagree with you more Stuart, will Balram's conviction really stop him from getting employment? and as for the fine he will pay that at a nominal ( fortnightly) rate out of his JSA. And as a Sikh, i would have thought he would welcome the opportunity to right his wrong to his victim. The student on the other hand was in the third year of his degree ( i believe he is being expelled) and the custodial sentence he received will prevent his employment opportunities for life. It saddens me just how little the impact on the individual ( the woman who got mowed down) has been sacrificed on the alter of hysterical public sensitivity.

Love the part where "fell into the arms of his mum as he was taken from the dock".

The problem as I see it-is that judicial law be seen as a punishment or rehabilitation since it seems in cases-they can't be both. Does the two case studies cited and the punishments seek to punish or rehabilitate?

Is it just me or are people/youths becomming more disconnected from reality?

Taken from:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17576745

Internet firms will be required to give intelligence agency GCHQ access to communications on demand' date=' in real time.

And here I was worried about Pasties :)

[center']London-Big-Brother.jpg[/center]

Taken from:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17576745

Internet firms will be required to give intelligence agency GCHQ access to communications on demand' date=' in real time.

And here I was worried about Pasties :)

[center']London-Big-Brother.jpg[/center]

BigBrother soon will be reality.......no one will have any freedom.............:mad::mad::mad:

Well that is fairly obvious with the introduction of internet, movies, online worlds (2nd life, WoW but also SM) and more of that stuff people have more chances to find a world they really love and would like to join and with the advanced techniques we have these worlds can be displayed pretty realistic and thus people tend to "live in that world" more than most people could with for example a book.

So its not something strange, just the evolution of humanity thanks to the introduction of new stuff.

And that said, what were the early humans thinking when someone first start believing in a god. And what did all the religious folkes think during the 17th century etc when science and reason made their first big appearance? Times keep on changing, nothing to worry about as long as things are still controllable (is that a word btw? :P). Things get scary when we can't control stuff anymore (The Terminator anyone?).

@cristianobalotelli don't be so paranoid :P

Well that is fairly obvious with the introduction of internet' date=' movies, online worlds (2nd life, WoW but also SM) and more of that stuff people have more chances to find a world they really love and would like to join and with the advanced techniques we have these worlds can be displayed pretty realistic and thus people tend to "live in that world" more than most people could with for example a book.

So its not something strange, just the evolution of humanity thanks to the introduction of new stuff.

And that said, what were the early humans thinking when someone first start believing in a god. And what did all the religious folkes think during the 17th century etc when science and reason made their first big appearance? Times keep on changing, nothing to worry about as long as things are still controllable (is that a word btw? :P). Things get scary when we can't control stuff anymore (The Terminator anyone?).

@cristianobalotelli don't be so paranoid :P[/quote']

G5uamDMoW4o

youths wanna be happy and cool and increase their mating value. talking about politics aint gonna get you laid, but goofing around does.

when they get older and it affects how much money theyve got and when they start comparing with their neighbors and old friends on who has a bigger car and bigger house, then they care about politics, since they want politics thats good for them economically.

people who have money become more open minded (initially because they compete with their peers for moral highground), in due time some of them actually start caring about social causes.

youths wanna be happy and cool and increase their mating value. talking about politics aint gonna get you laid' date=' but goofing around does.

when they get older and it affects how much money theyve got and when they start comparing with their neighbors and old friends on who has a bigger car and bigger house, then they care about politics, since they want politics thats good for them economically.

people who have money become more open minded (initially because they compete with their peers for moral highground), in due time some of them actually start caring about social causes.[/quote']

Could this be more stereotypical?

Could this be more stereotypical?

lol..a bit like "feral youth" but I guess that's the view policy makers also hold-since Tobacco shop displays will be strictly controlled since ministers believe if they advertise it-the zombie youths will buy em.

lol..a bit like "feral youth" but I guess that's the view policy makers also hold-since Tobacco shop displays will be strictly controlled since ministers believe if they advertise it-the zombie youths will buy em.

When its about being disconnected from reality, politicans have gone far further than the current youth imo (though I guess I'm considered part of the youth so might be a bit biased hahaha, but on the other hand studying political science, hmmmmmm... :P:o).

care to elaborate?

The way they are treating Everton and Liverpool fans regarding the FA Cup final and how they are enforcing designated pubs for each set of supporters when many travelling parties are mixed so will have to split if they want a drink as they have also imposed a no drinking zone on the streets around Wembley, yet there isn't one for the game the next day.

The way they are treating Everton and Liverpool fans regarding the FA Cup final and how they are enforcing designated pubs for each set of supporters when many travelling parties are mixed so will have to split if they want a drink as they have also imposed a no drinking zone on the streets around Wembley' date=' yet there isn't one for the game the next day.[/quote']

Well aren't Everton v Liverpool pretty special-and if they did nothing in the first place and something were to happen what would the public say then?

Well aren't Everton v Liverpool pretty special-and if they did nothing in the first place and something were to happen what would the public say then?

But Tottenham and Chelsea are also a derby and there is no restrictions for them.

But Tottenham and Chelsea are also a derby and there is no restrictions for them.

Well wouldn't this be the biggest Merseyside derby in years-while for the two London clubs it might not be as significant based on current history?

And the media/security is a bit tetchy for years with Liverpool since Hillsborough, so its a bit understandably.

Well wouldn't this be the biggest Merseyside derby in years-while for the two London clubs it might not be as significant based on current history?

And the media/security is a bit tetchy for years with Liverpool since Hillsborough' date=' so its a bit understandably.[/quote']

I honestly don't think there will be much trouble, of course you will get the odd idiot trying to start something but you get them everywhere. I really think it should be the same for both days and not just on the Saturday as the Scousers are coming down.

I honestly don't think there will be much trouble' date=' of course you will get the odd idiot trying to start something but you get them everywhere. I really think it should be the same for both days and not just on the Saturday as the Scousers are coming down.[/quote']

A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said it had “made suggestions as to which licensed premises supporters may wish to attend based on which entrances fans will be accessing stadium” but the decision whether to let in mixed families lay with licensees.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-news/regional-news/2012/04/07/wembley-pubs-to-split-up-liverpool-fc-everton-fc-fans-at-fa-cup-semi-finals-99623-30713780/2/

and isn't the Chelsea vs spurs one a pretty late kick off

A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said it had “made suggestions as to which licensed premises supporters may wish to attend based on which entrances fans will be accessing stadium” but the decision whether to let in mixed families lay with licensees.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-news/regional-news/2012/04/07/wembley-pubs-to-split-up-liverpool-fc-everton-fc-fans-at-fa-cup-semi-finals-99623-30713780/2/

and isn't the Chelsea vs spurs one a pretty late kick off

Ahh thats good to know that some might be mixed, the articles I read just said the pubs would be split.

Yes it is a late kick off on Sunday.