Stuart H

The Politics Thread

Re: The Politics Thread

warren-buffett1.jpg

(hmm' date=' this is starting to look like the troll thread, guess I should stop with the pics :P)[/quote']

Nah..this thread uses pics as a medium to get a point across-rather than the randomness of a troll thread;)

Well maybe Theresa May does...

Looks suspiciously like Labour have gained a lot of seats without really offering any alternative to the Tory cuts. Then again' date=' I've not exactly been rigorously following the political world recently.[/quote']

I tend to think that the Local Elections are used by voters to voice concerns at the In -Government as a style of protest so the Labour gains can be taken with a pinch of salt IMO.

I read an article in the Guardian about an hour ago that states Tory Right-Wingers demand a change of tact and state Boris Johnson as the man most likely to replace Cameron which I find hilarious -God I hope we get Independence before the day we are governed by Boris Johnson.

the article : http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/may/04/local-elections-drubbing-pressure-cameron?newsfeed=true

I tend to think that the Local Elections are used by voters to voice concerns at the In -Government as a style of protest so the Labour gains can be taken with a pinch of salt IMO.

I read an article in the Guardian about an hour ago that states Tory Right-Wingers demand a change of tact and state Boris Johnson as the man most likely to replace Cameron which I find hilarious -God I hope we get Independence before the day we are governed by Boris Johnson.

Very little chance of either of those happening Danny boy :P

Very little chance of either of those happening Danny boy :P

Independence is looking very likely - Salmonds doing very well at beating his chest but not providing any facts atm - hes playing to the Scots fears and pride - and for some reason there not waiting to hear the after package

Hopefully if it happens Scotland will follow Norways model, stay out of the EU & Euro and go it alone - if they don't I think I will be one of many people moving out of Scotland quite quickly afterwards

Independence is looking very likely - Salmonds doing very well at beating his chest but not providing any facts atm - hes playing to the Scots fears and pride - and for some reason there not waiting to hear the after package

Hopefully if it happens Scotland will follow Norways model' date=' stay out of the EU & Euro and go it alone - if they don't I think I will be one of many people moving out of Scotland quite quickly afterwards[/quote']

Disagree-too much risk and too much at stake in these turbulent times -unless something spectacular happens the best can be hoped for is greater autonomy a la Puerto Rico with respect to the US.

there was the David Steel committee that had some interesting ideas-which were federalist in nature

http://www.scotlibdems.org.uk/files/steelcommission.pdf

Hopefully if it happens Scotland will follow Norways model' date=' stay out of the EU & Euro and go it alone - if they don't I think I will be one of many people moving out of Scotland quite quickly afterwards[/quote']

FREEEDDOOMMMM....Careful what you wish for Dan

So the Scots (post-Thatcher) dislike of the conservative party is your reason for seeking Independence is it Dan? Whilst you bemoan the fact the UK is run by the Conservatives you are nevertheless bound ( as we all are) by the first past the post system of electing a government. Clearly you ( as a country) do not feel that strongly about it' date=' as when given the chance in the 2010 AV referendum to adopt a so called more representative (?) system you as a country overwhelming voted to continue using the current system .

[center']No said 63.64 Yes said 36.36[/center]

So aside from your countries dislike for the Conservatives ( and judging by their disastrous general election campaign Labour too), one can only think you haven’t really considered the just what independence really means for Scotland. Don’t get me wrong, its little surprise, Salmond and his cronies have been happy to play the brave heart role for years, and with the greatest respect, you lot have been stupid enough to buy into it. Its been sold to you as a chance for Scotland to finally break free of the English yoke and decide its own destiny but is it?.

One of the many things to be decided of course is what currency you would adopt?. Maybe you would like to keep the pound as a common currency between the two nations?.Of course Englands central bank would dictate interest rates etc, which in effect see the UK controlling your economy. You could make a new currency ?,but all things considered I hardly think that would be well received by the international money market do you?. As that nitwit Alistair Darling rightly said ''here is our new currency and we are not actually sure how much it is going to be worth after the first day's trading'." So your last option of course is to adopt the Euro ( if its still around :D). That would be nice ??..I mean you are familiar of course with the new treaty being adopted by the members of the Eurozone?. In short the Scottish budget would have to be monitored in Brussels ( before it is put to the Scottish parliament) and its interest rates set in Germany ( before it is put to the Scottish parliament). Still i suppose the freedom to choose will be nice :)

But then of course you are awash with oil aren’t you?..but are you ?.Much has been made over the years about Scottish oil, but the uncomfortable truth of the matter is none of it is legally Scottish, it lies in international waters ( not territorial waters). The North sea is split into ' Exclusive Economic Zones' and shared between the UK, Norway, Denmark and Germany ( with the oil being mainly in the UK and Norwegian zones). So with this in mind do you really expect the UK and Norway to allow a newly formed Scotland to walk away with all that lovely black stuff ?, that’s never going to happen. I’d expect the UK to lead all the countries in calls for an immediate renegotiation of the boundaries. I mean after all, it was UK money (not Scottish) which developed many of the North sea oil fields and paid for the infrastructure which brings it ashore. Thing is of course they would need to get their fingers out as its likely to run out in 20 years.

I must admit deciding how the oil is split is a very complicated business, but none of this is easy. I have heard it said that the split between the countries should be viewed as a divorce with an equal division of wealth and debt between the two. Undoubtedly the fairest way would be by size of the population , Scotland currently represents 10% of the UK population. So working on that basis it receives 10% of the UK international wealth ( all assets) currently valued at around 337 billion pounds. Happy days ??? Maybe not as likewise you should expect to be burdened by 10% of the UK current debt £1043 billion ( and rising). Sadly it does not stop there..who would pay Scottish pensions? .. pick up the welfare bill? ..pay for your defence?. your prescriptions?..your hospital parking ?..your universities?..etc etc. As it won’t be the UK and the ridiculously unfair Barnett formula which currently sees the UK government spending £8,588 of public money on the average English person, compared to an average figure of £10,212 for the average Scot.

As I have said many times here and elsewhere I am a firm unionist, I sincerely believe we (The British) are stronger together than we are apart and I hope I never see the day when either the English, the Scots, Welsh or the magnificent people of Northern Ireland choose to break away from the UK...:)

And besides of all of that blah blah blah, how can they turn their back on all of this ??..:)

UD04yHDrvRc

I hope to Superman that Scotland get their independence. It's like having a girlfriend with three warts on her nose. Go away and never come back.

i hope that to,but with disintegration there isnt nothing certain ,UK could be ended as Yugoslavia,and new wars could come,anyway if u need advices how to disintegrate into small pices just ask Balkan politicians:rolleyes:

i hope that to' date='but with disintegration there isnt nothing certain ,UK could be ended as Yugoslavia,and new wars could come,anyway if u need advices how to disintegrate into small pices just ask Balkan politicians:rolleyes:[/quote']

Welcome back bud!

Well when a large minority feels that the central government no longer represents their views or resources that belong to them by birthright (geographical/historical etc) are siphoned off to other areas at their detriment then problems that can arise.

It's a pity-one of the saddest moments in European history just as the Nigerian massacre.

Man Yugoslavia had a really good football team in the day' date=' sad Politics ruins that[/quote']

Yeah it was a pretty decent side -ah but most sides at that time were pretty good.

Welcome back bud!

Well when a large minority feels that the central government no longer represents their views or resources that belong to them by birthright (geographical/historical etc) are siphoned off to other areas at their detriment then problems that can arise.

oh please' date=' that bloody lot have been going at each other since Moses was a boy, and i dare say they will be at it again before too long.. barbarians the lot of them.[/color']

oh please' date=' that bloody lot have been going at each other since Moses was a boy, and i dare say they will be at it again before too long.. barbarians the lot of them.[/color']

Did nt' your King Arthur seeking peace and solace go off somewhere there-while the Englsh laddies and lasses wait with baited breath till Tony Bla..err King Arthur rises again?

Did nt' your King Arthur seeking peace and solace go off somewhere there-while the Englsh laddies and lasses wait with baited breath till Tony Bla..err King Arthur rises again?

Sleep easy my brother' date=' we won't see him again ...never heard of the register of interests?, it would take him a week to fill that out ;)[/color']

Sleep easy my brother' date=' [b']we won't see him again ...never heard of the register of interests?, it would take him a week to fill that out ;)[/b]

Which one? Tony or King A? Maybe he might be invited for the Queen's Jubilee

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/interactive-graphics/9197527/Queens-Diamond-Jubilee-cost-of-the-celebrations.html

which is predicted to cost 1.3 bill ...

I hope to Superman that Scotland get their independence. It's like having a girlfriend with three warts on her nose. Go away and never come back.

imagine how much your petrol would cost when you have to buy our oil instead of robbing it? :rolleyes: