Stuart H

The Politics Thread

Re: The Politics Thread

imagine how much your petrol would cost when you have to buy our oil instead of robbing it? :rolleyes:

What's mine is mine and whats your's is mine.

Unfortunately like so many developing re: third world countries have discovered is that it takes more than oil to run a country right.

Does Scotland (bear in mind I am a non UK resident) have the institutions, statesmen and political will to not only go it alone but to make it a success?

What's mine is mine and whats your's is mine.

Unfortunately like so many developing re: third world countries have discovered is that it takes more than oil to run a country right.

Does Scotland (bear in mind I am a non UK resident) have the institutions' date=' statesmen and political will to not only go it alone but to make it a success?[/quote']

yes mate, everything is set in stone. we've more or less ran our own country since the parliament got new powers. Alex Salmond is a breath of fresh air:rolleyes: i lived in England for 10 years (London) and love the place but we are a different Race altogether:rolleyes: the leaders of the main 3 political party's in England are alien to us. David Cameron is an Idiot and the only bigger Idiot in the place is the Labour leader Milly:p not only do we have no-one in charge? but we have no-one in opposition either:mad:

yes mate' date=' everything is set in stone. we've more or less ran our own country since the parliament got new powers. Alex Salmond is a breath of fresh air:rolleyes: i lived in England for 10 years (London) and love the place but we are a different Race altogether:rolleyes: the leaders of the main 3 political party's in England are alien to us. David Cameron is an Idiot and the only bigger Idiot in the place is the Labour leader Milly:p not only do we have no-one in charge? but we have no-one in opposition either:mad:[/quote']

Is the nation's debt inheritance going to equally shared or proportional to GDP -because that seems to be a sticking point.

EDL for the win!

olmQXDpqmmg

hee-hee :D

Absolutely loving it xD So true for Sweden aswell lol

Just curious guys, do you think immigrants are the ones who caused the economic recession?

So immigration really is the overwhelming main cause to the economic recession and the tough times? And in all the countries too huh?

Really?

-' date='-

Try finance...[/quote']

you mean financial mismanagement and the efforts to cover it up right-hey Hitler blamed the Jews-wonder if it could work a second time or who could the Jews blame? :(

you mean financial mismanagement and the efforts to cover it up right-hey Hitler blamed the Jews-wonder if it could work a second time or who could the Jews blame? :(

I've rephrased the whole thing, didn't convey what I wanted.

And yes.

I've rephrased the whole thing' date=' didn't convey what I wanted.

And yes.[/quote']

Pity that- we down here have had more experience than most over a longer period in time than most of the more homogenous societies that make up the developed lands with respect to immigration. In truth Tensions whether financial, race, social inequality etc always remain as an undercurrent, however once the true mixing of people and ideas begins a greater idea bigger than oneself and one's tribe emerges-that of a nation :D

Just curious guys' date=' do you think immigrants are the ones who caused the economic recession?[/quote']

YES! YES! YES! ALWAYS THOSE ANNOYING IMMIGRANTS!!!!! KILL THEM ALL!!! :mad: :mad:

Anyways a bit more serious, how stupid are you to believe that immigrants cause economic recession, what's the logic behind it other than the need to blame someone? ;)

Just curious guys' date=' do you think immigrants are the ones who caused the economic recession?[/quote']

I think there are two kinds of immigrant. One section comes over to find work and benefits society (the Poles are a prime example in the UK). The unemployed may moan about them but I'd wager many of the unemployed have nothing like the Poles' work rate. The others are the ones that are lazy and come to the UK purely because there are better benefits here than in their home country.

The latter is exactly why the EU's free immigration policy where you can move very easily from one country to another is extremely flawed. Wealthier countries with better benefit systems like the UK are getting filled up with, what are nothing more than parasites, feeding on our money and offering nothing back in return.

I'm not going to suggest that immigration has caused the recession but I'd argue that being in the EU hasn't helped us at all.

No, of course not, but nor has the mass immigration of the Labour years benefited the UK. In fact i'd go as far to say the dreadful multicultual experiment has been a disater. I hasten to add i don't particually blame the newcomers, the real culprits are the political class's that have led us down the blind alley of EU membership and in turn the surrender of our borders..a bad show all round.:cool:

And the UK's trade deficit with the EU is ??????

The UK’s deficit in Trade in Goods and Services narrowed to £2.7 billion in March' date=' down £0.2 billion from £2.9 billion in February.

The deficit in trade in goods with EU countries widened by £0.7 billion to £4.5 billion in March, compared with the deficit of £3.7 billion in February, as exports were virtually unchanged at £13.2 billion (up by 0.1 per cent), and imports rose by £0.8 billion (4.4 per cent) to £17.6 billion.

The deficit on trade in goods with non-EU countries narrowed by £0.8 billion to £4.1 billion in March,

[url']http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/balance-of-trade[/url]

Can you blame the EU for England's inability to create a economy that is export driven, and has to compensate by importing goods such as food (1/3) while exporting technology, aircraft and English :)

Imagine what happens if the England has to to go head to head with China, Germany in terms of exports?

BTW found this little ditty in realtion to the UK -A member of the EU, it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union for the time being.

So trying to have your pie and eat it too?

Immigration in and by itself is hardly a problem. Now (RE: Social security immigrants), the way it's done in EU right now is broken and should be fixed. But something like the EDL isn't gonna get it done.

Finland tried it too by the way

Immigration in and by itself is hardly a problem. Now (RE: Social security immigrants)' date=' the way it's done in EU right now is broken and should be fixed. But something like the EDL isn't gonna get it done.

Finland tried it too by the way[/quote']

Thats an unusually glib statement from you Safir. Immigration should be viewed from numerous stand-points...social ?, economic?, democratic?, cultural?, religious?...it was ( and remains) a huge issue at the last general election.

Thats an unusually glib statement from you Safir. Immigration should be viewed from numerous stand-points...social ?' date=' economic?, democratic?, cultural?, religious?...it was ( and remains) a huge issue at the last general election.[/color']

:eek:

glib

[glib]  

   [glib] Show IPA

adjective, glib·ber, glib·best.

readily fluent, often thoughtlessly, superficially, or insincerely so: a glib talker; glib answers.

easy or unconstrained, as actions or manners.

Archaic . agile; spry.

So it's too important to just deal with it piecemeal..?

glib

[glib]  

   [glib] Show IPA

adjective' date=' glib·ber, glib·best.

readily fluent, often thoughtlessly, superficially, or insincerely so: a glib talker; glib answers.

easy or unconstrained, as actions or manners.

Archaic . agile; spry.

So it's too important to just deal with it piecemeal..?[/quote']

:eek:.

Immigration in and by itself is hardly a problem.

Yes, I and (i believe) an awful lot of UK voters think so.

:eek:. :eek:

Yes' date=' I and (i believe) an awful lot of UK voters think so.[/color']

That's the problem ain't it..

UK voters.. not UK citizens

Voters tend to be the plaything of politicians who highlights topics they think will get them in or keep them in the high life.

UK citizens tend to the people who live, work and build your country and the two groups are not the same.

This is your projected demographics for 2012..http://www.indexmundi.com/united_kingdom/demographics_profile.html

0-14 years: 17.3% (male 5,575,119/female 5,301,301)

15-64 years: 66.2% (male 20,979,401/female 20,500,913)

65 years and over: 16.5% (male 4,564,375/female 5,777,253) (2011 est.)

What percentage are citizens 100% -what percentage are voters?

Thats an unusually glib statement from you Safir. Immigration should be viewed from numerous stand-points...social ?' date=' economic?, democratic?, cultural?, religious?...it was ( and remains) a huge issue at the last general election.[/color']

What I didn't mean: Immigration doesn't cause problems.

This seems to be how you interpreted it. :)

What I meant: Immigration as a general concept is not bad. Of course immigration causes certain challenges but there are benefits as well. For one, people from different cultures can inject fresh viewpoints -- fully homogenous groups don't really improve much.

Like arampage said, overall, immigration can have great benefits to a society -- it takes a while to adjust to dealing with each other but that initial difficulty disappears over time.

..."research found that diverse groups initially had problems getting along with one another...[given time], these problems had disappeared and performance had improved considerably"

(Warren Watson, Kamalesh Kumar, Larry Michaelsen (1993)

http://ha3.www.mendeley.com/research/cultural-diversitys-impact-on-interaction-process-and-performance-comparing-homogeneous-and-diverse-task-groups/

I think there are two kinds of immigrant. One section comes over to find work and benefits society (the Poles are a prime example in the UK). The unemployed may moan about them but I'd wager many of the unemployed have nothing like the Poles' work rate. The others are the ones that are lazy and come to the UK purely because there are better benefits here than in their home country.

I work with a lot of Poles, nearly everyone of them only plans on staying in the UK for 5 years (something to do with claiming all tax back when the leave) I'd say at least 90% work as many hours as possible with a huge % of their wage being sent back to Poland, I'd hardly say thats a benefit to the UK.

They work like trojans whilst 'temps' but once they get full-time contracts their work ethic dies.

Yeah, I don't think the main benefit of immigration is the extra work force (unless it's bull market time). Most of the time workers in UK have it covered.

Injection of fresh ideas is pretty cool though. Highly skilled workers are useful too (PhD in sciences) but a distant second to the new ideas bit.

(<-- mildly relevant to Allan's and Stuart's posts but not relevant enough to actually quote them)

That my friend has got to be a by product of immigration :D

Well noticed :)

That's the problem ain't it..

UK voters.. not UK citizens

Voters tend to be the plaything of politicians who highlights topics they think will get them in or keep them in the high life.

UK citizens tend to the people who live' date=' work and build your country and the two groups are not the same.

This is your projected demographics for 2012..[url']http://www.indexmundi.com/united_kingdom/demographics_profile.html[/url]

0-14 years: 17.3% (male 5,575,119/female 5,301,301)

15-64 years: 66.2% (male 20,979,401/female 20,500,913)

65 years and over: 16.5% (male 4,564,375/female 5,777,253) (2011 est.)

What percentage are citizens 100% -what percentage are voters?

Of course my good friend, i take your point about politicians but call me a bit thick / tipsy but i don't understand your point about demographics or your question about voters?

And apologies Saf, i made the mistake of reading your statement wrongly. Now i don't pretend to know about high minded ideals of fresh viewpoints ( then again i prefer my own), but i do know that far too many ingenious (?- i hate that term) British people are left floundering on the scrapheap ( or choosing a life on an over generous welfare system) whilst an ever increasing queue of immigrants fill jobs they should be doing. I have been to a hospital in London recently, ( and i don't mean to shock/ offend you) but the vast majority of people who are there treatment are not British, i work in social housing ( SE London) and in the last 15 years seen a huge increase in the amount of immigrants housed in state subsidised accommodation. Both my daughters schools are over subscribed with children whose ( again i don't mean top shock/ offend you) first language is not English. Hopefully you believe me when i say its not a matter of race? but why is this?, who voted for it? and tell me why can't i be concerned about it? :)