The Demise Of SoccerManager

Re: The Demise Of SoccerManager

Since chat went' date=' this game has seriously gone downhill.[/quote']

Mate, SM has gone downhill since I started playing in very late '07... :(

What is labelled 'The World's Best FREE Online Soccer Manager Game' is seemingly all about the green.

Chat = Gone.

Game = Filled with cheats.

Forum = Plastered in ads, nearly devoid of 'intelligent' conversation, scouting is almost dead. Too many class forumers are gone (Mark, Barracuda, Bob, Abdel - I could go on).

I used to enjoy the game more, but it's still bloody good - most of the time. ;)

Couldn't agree more gents as when I first started I enjoyed the game but since the introduction of reserving a club, SM has plummeted massively.

Also the lack of communication we get off them as well is ridiculous, the change of the support system is a show of that.

I could go on forever but I find it boring as all I seem to do is moan about SM nowadays.

When my GM runs out I'll voice my real opinion about SM and get myself banned off here lol ;)only joking

Mate' date=' SM has gone downhill since I started playing in very late '07... :(

What is labelled 'The World's Best FREE Online Soccer Manager Game' is seemingly all about the green.

Chat = Gone.

Game = Filled with cheats.

Forum = Plastered in ads, nearly devoid of 'intelligent' conversation, scouting is almost dead. Too many class forumers are gone (Mark, Barracuda, Bob, Abdel - I could go on).

I used to enjoy the game more, but it's still bloody good - most of the time. ;)[/quote']

One of the best posts i've seen in years. I remember when i got an infraction for having a signature which was 50 pixels over the margin, i come back 2 weeks and see loads of people with big signatures yet 'dai' never did anything to them. It's just pathetic the whole game, the way it's ran. I've played since 07, quit in 09 because of my GCSE's and become a forumer, now i just occasionaly post. Don't spend anywhere near as much time as i used to on here, people must realise that there's a life outside SM.

I really doubt that this is the end of SM because people are going to come and go all of the time. You get people all the time saying they don't like something that SM have changed but you get another who will disagree. Is this thread made because of the new reporting system? Because I don't send tickets in very often but I think that there is a unified aversion towards it and I do agree that SM should be open to complaints of any sort (within reason) but I am sure SM will have a reason for doing what they did and surely, as a company who have to deal with complaints everyday, they will change something if so many people are against this new system.

Other than that I can't see a problem so big that it will make as much as 0.1% of the members leave and even then you'll just get that same number of people making new accounts, buying game worlds and buying Gold Membership which gives them money and keeps the business running.

Anyway if people hate the game so much don't put your money in their pockets and leave, it isn't hard. Although I like the game I wouldn't pay to play it but there are people who will.

Also saying the game has been going downhill "for years" is a little strange given that the game itself is only just over five years old. It isn't incorrect but I personally find the choice of phrase a little confusing. I think it has improved drastically from a time when you couldn't log in during match-time, scores of 12-0 happened almost every turn (I remember in 2007 a Liverpool in a game world I am still in now leaked 60 goals in five games of the first season), and it was easy to snatch players from under people's noses by knowing when transfers get processed, log in five minutes before and put a bid in. There have been many more good improvements than bad on the game since I have joined so it's a surprise something like this has come up. The only major ones that spring to mind are the ticket system and the reserve club feature.

Really? Chat was such a problem child when it was around and it was impossible to control. Aside from the sheer swearing from some people on there a lot of new people get ignored. I only moderated on the chat for a very short time so there was a period where I was a moderator on here but not there, and I'd go on and advertise that I want to sell a player (I've seen regulars do it there and get plently of responses) and get totally ignored. I even got tricked into pressing the key combination that closes your browser when I asked for help, and it was made worse when there were no moderators on or even when they didn't do anything, so it was the right thing to do in the end.

I really doubt that this is the end of SM because people are going to come and go all of the time. You get people all the time saying they don't like something that SM have changed but you get another who will disagree. Is this thread made because of the new reporting system? Because I don't send tickets in very often but I think that there is a unified aversion towards it and I do agree that SM should be open to complaints of any sort (within reason) but I am sure SM will have a reason for doing what they did and surely' date=' as a company who have to deal with complaints everyday, they will change something if so many people are against this new system.

Other than that I can't see a problem so big that it will make as much as 0.1% of the members leave and even then you'll just get that same number of people making new accounts, buying game worlds and buying Gold Membership which gives them money and keeps the business running.

Anyway if people hate the game so much don't put your money in their pockets and leave, it isn't hard. Although I like the game I wouldn't pay to play it but there are people who will.

Also saying the game has been going downhill "for years" is a little strange given that the game itself is only just over five years old. I think it has improved drastically from a time when you couldn't log in during match-time, scores of 12-0 happened almost every turn (I remember in 2007 a Liverpool in a game world I am still in now leaked 60 goals in five games of the first season), and it was easy to snatch players from under people's noses by knowing when transfers get processed, log in five minutes before and put a bid in. There have been many more good improvements than bad on the game since I have joined so it's a surprise something like this has come up.

Really? Chat was such a problem child when it was around and it was impossible to control. Aside from the sheer swearing from some people on there a lot of new people get ignored. I only moderated on the chat for a very short time so there was a period where I was a moderator on here but not there, and I'd go on and advertise that I want to sell a player (I've seen regulars do it there and get plently of responses) and get totally ignored. [b']I even got tricked into pressing the key combination[/b] that closes your browser when I asked for help, and it was made worse when there were no moderators on or even when they didn't do anything, so it was the right thing to do in the end.

LOL, is it bad that i laughed at that ahahha.

It's just the whole game, every aspect of it has worsened over the years. You're a moderator, in a position in which you're expected to support the game in threads like this, but us the paying customer have become just infuriated with the way the game has been ran. I'm sure i am not alone in these views.

I think it's an age thing more than anything tbh.

I can remember when I joined SM back in 2007 I was one of the youngest here. There was a much smaller community and great debates on the forum on a daily basis. There were also a few great setups like The One and the older GC's which all the regulars were involved in. This meant there was a lot of banter and great match report threads. Sadly, the vast majority of the older members have left and the next generation have arrived. There are now many, many more members most of which are a very young. This is making it much harder to have a debate as many members are incapable or too immature to debate.

I wouldn't say it's a 'demise' as the community is growing daily. There are more members joining than leaving. It's just the "average" member joins the game/community, stays for a few years and the leaves, therefore it seems like everyone is leaving when in reality the community isn't getting any smaller.

LOL' date=' is it bad that i laughed at that ahahha.

[/quote']

Actually I think it happened to someone else and I tried it, and it happened to me so it was kind of my fault. :P

It's just the whole game' date=' every aspect of it has worsened over the years. [b']You're a moderator, in a position in which you're expected to support the game in threads like this[/b], but us the paying customer have become just infuriated with the way the game has been ran. I'm sure i am not alone in these views.

This isn't necessarily true really because I could have complained at length as to why I hate reserving clubs, why I disagree with the new ticket system or why I don't like the new rating system but I chose to focus my argument instead on why I think SM has improved because it has. Also, saying I am expected to support SM in this argument is very a misinformed statement because I don't work for them, I'm just someone who was chosen, along with others, to voluntarily help out when possible because I was deemed to be suitable for the job. In my case, that's Friday-Sunday plus any holidays. So it's very unfair to use the "you're a moderator" card and to differentiate moderators from the "paying customer" because moderators do pay like everyone else for the same privileges.

What killed chat was the fact you lads became forum mods and were givin chat mod straight away which A. wasnt deserved. B unfair on people like me who stayed there for a year just to get it. C people in chat who deserved chat modatorship were never going to get beacause forumers were always chose over chatters and got chat mod despite not visiting chat or contibuting in it. Not blameing u lads it was again Alan crazy bones nellers piterful idea.

The recent 'improvements' have spoiled the game for those who've played it for a long time IMO. I don't mind the player position thing and the new help system (except the ticket issue) but neither improve the game for the current customer. All the other 'improvements' have taken he game backwards. External to external transfers are stupid, there're still loads of cheats in GCs with no reduced rep and no ban and GCs are far far too frequent.

The forum's also gone downhill a lot. The player discussion section is now 99% made up of people asking if X will rise so there's no longer any discussion or debate, the game-world section is thriving for standard championships but the gold section is very quiet and there simply isn't the debate that I remember there has been in the General Football and Misc sections.

Aaaaaaahahahahaha!!!

You can't be serious. You should be on stage with that as your main one liner.

As for a few members leaving. Some were banned. :rolleyes:

I agree completely with what Ben said.

Saw my name mentioned. Am I one of the reasons? I feel privelidged you think so. :rolleyes: Nice dig. ;)

Guest drseanfitz

Actually I think it happened to someone else and I tried it' date=' and it happened to me so it was kind of my fault. :P

This isn't necessarily true really because I could have complained at length as to why I hate reserving clubs, why I disagree with the new ticket system or why I don't like the new rating system but I [b']chose [/b]to focus my argument instead on why I think SM has improved because it has. Also, saying I am expected to support SM in this argument is very a misinformed statement because I don't work for them, I'm just someone who was chosen, along with others, to voluntarily help out when possible because I was deemed to be suitable for the job. In my case, that's Friday-Sunday plus any holidays. So it's very unfair to use the "you're a moderator" card and to differentiate moderators from the "paying customer" because moderators do pay like everyone else for the same privileges.

absolutely agree here, moderators DO NOT have to support the game, that's not what we do, but hey, that's not the main point of the conversation here.

since I joined 2 1/2 years ago, I've seen quite a few changes. some are good, and some are not so good.

the 'hidden' free agents is something I never liked, and appears to have gone, as is the set time for transfers being accepted.

I do like the way you get multiple accepted bids on externals.

to a small degree I think the reserve club can work, but as it's basically every game world now, it swamps any benefit that could be gained, however SM is a businessand whilst people are paying at the levels they are then this will continue, and who can blame them.

One thing I did like was when SM started accepting tickets to get players in smaller leagues reviewed. This was a sign that SM accepts hat it's impossible to be perfect and accept that they cannott review all the leagues at a regular enough rate. Unfortunately this was dropped due to members abusing things and sending in tickets with up to 40 players at a time.

The thing that seems to have been missed here though is that if SM didn't make changes people would get bored. they are basically in a no win situation regarding this.

I think it's an age thing more than anything tbh.

I can remember when I joined SM back in 2007 I was one of the youngest here. There was a much smaller community and great debates on the forum on a daily basis. There were also a few great setups like The One and the older GC's which all the regulars were involved in. This meant there was a lot of banter and great match report threads. Sadly' date=' the vast majority of the older members have left and the next generation have arrived. There are now many, many more members most of which are a very young. This is making it much harder to have a debate as many members are incapable or too immature to debate.

I wouldn't say it's a 'demise' as the community is growing daily. There are more members joining than leaving. It's just the "average" member joins the game/community, stays for a few years and the leaves, therefore it seems like everyone is leaving when in reality the community isn't getting any smaller.[/quote']

i agree with this. ive read the forum since 2007 and played the game since then as well, it seems like every time a decent forumer leaves, another one joins. as good as certain formers are, no one here is indispensable

one of the things thats made the game less enjoyable for me is scouting. it started off real well in the days of benreado and seftinho, but now people just seems to scout for credit. they see the rep level of certain people who post a lot in that section and figure that its the easy way of getting rep up.

also, as much as its horrible to say, sm is one of those games that loses its fun as you get better...

Me being a new user, my opinion is probably not worthy...

However I think the forum side of the game is declining because of new users being ignored. I can't tell you how frustrating it is being blanked just because I don't have 1 billion reputation. I see many users posting in EC threads however mine is ignored.

---

But yeah, my post will probably be ignored because stuart will post below me.

Me being a new user' date=' my opinion is probably not worthy...

However I think the forum side of the game is declining because of new users being ignored. I can't tell you how frustrating it is being blanked just because I don't have 1 billion reputation. I see many users posting in EC threads however mine is ignored.

---

But yeah, my post will probably be ignored because stuart will post below me.[/quote']

No post is 'not worthy'.

What sections do you post in to be ignored, may I ask?

I, personally don't base my judgement of what people say by what reputation they have mate. I also know that the majority don't care about what rep people are either.

Everyone has the right to have a say.

I wouldn't call it a demise as people come and go all the time, that's what happens in life all the time and you have to just get on with it regardless of whether people, in this situation, have left soccermanager and others have come in. I still enjoy the game in the game worlds I am in and I know I will eventually get bored of the game and move on.

The end is near. People leaving and people becoming disillusioned with a game they were once fond of.

Bye bye SM.

Online: 7' date='025

Gold Managers: 15,623

Members: 329,987

When I joined there under 1k GMs, and even a year or so ago there were under 10k. So yeah, goodun.

Since chat went, this game has seriously gone downhill.

Chat has nothing to do with the game really does it. Not only that, but it was used by about 20 people, not really worth the hassle when you have 15k GMs is it...

One of the best posts i've seen in years. I remember when i got an infraction for having a signature which was 50 pixels over the margin' date=' i come back 2 weeks and see loads of people with big signatures yet 'dai' never did anything to them. It's just pathetic the whole game, the way it's ran. I've played since 07, quit in 09 because of my GCSE's and become a forumer, now i just occasionaly post. Don't spend anywhere near as much time as i used to on here, people must realise that there's a life outside SM.[/quote']

Haha, your main argument as to why the game has become so terrible is because Dai infracted you ages ago.

Couldn't agree more gents as when I first started I enjoyed the game but since the introduction of reserving a club' date=' SM has plummeted massively.

Also the lack of communication we get off them as well is ridiculous, the change of the support system is a show of that.

I could go on forever but I find it boring as all I seem to do is moan about SM nowadays.

When my GM runs out I'll voice my real opinion about SM and get myself banned off here lol ;)only joking

I know you're joking, but people seem intent on having their cake and eating it. They spend time on the forum complaining, then still spend hours on the game. If it's bad enough to complain then leave, if not then you don't really have a leg to stand on.

The recent 'improvements' have spoiled the game for those who've played it for a long time IMO. I don't mind the player position thing and the new help system (except the ticket issue) but neither improve the game for the current customer. All the other 'improvements' have taken he game backwards. External to external transfers are stupid' date=' there're still loads of cheats in GCs with no reduced rep and no ban and GCs are far far too frequent.[/quote']

All improvements were made because customers suggested them. They can't please everybody. Same with GC's. I wish they were free and that there were only 30 of them, but there are over 50 clubs reserved in every new one, so you cannot blame them one iota. It's all so easy to take the moral high ground and say how they only see the $ signs, but if you had a button you could press once a week that gave you £150+ instantly, don't tell me you wouldn't.

Some thoughts...

1. Chat was absolutely retarded. There was an intelligent conversation in there about once a year. For all the headaches it caused the game is better without it.

2. I think the member numbers are absolute guff and fudged to make the site appear more popular than it really is. No way in a million years are there 15,000 + active gold members. Or anything close to it. I would guess 5000 absolute maximum and consider that to be very optimistic.

3. There is a certain element of an old boys club. Most forumers are very good with new members but newbs can find some attitudes to be "I've been here since GC 1 and know it all" etc etc.

4. SM continue to improve the game. Recent changes - 7 subs, position guide, improved transfers etc for me are all positive.

5. SM continue for me to do very poorly with customer service. I think half the reason is they don't have the resource to deal with it all. But I think the Devs have a poor attitude to their members also.

6. I joined in January 2008. Left early 2009 and came back in June this year. The quality of posting on the forum has gome massively downhill in that time.

7. Gold Championships are a poor shadow of what they once were. Supply has vastly outstripped demand and so many Gold setups are almost Ghost towns.

SM may be a more profitable business now than it was in 2008, but it's much less fun to play as a Gold Member. I'm hoping they get improving Gold setups right and it happens soo, otherwise SMs customers will choose to spend their money elsewhere.