The Demise Of SoccerManager

Re: The Demise Of SoccerManager

All improvements were made because customers suggested them. They can't please everybody. Same with GC's. I wish they were free and that there were only 30 of them' date=' but there are over 50 clubs reserved in every new one, so you cannot blame them one iota. It's all so easy to take the moral high ground and say how they only see the $ signs, but if you had a button you could press once a week that gave you £150+ instantly, don't tell me you wouldn't.[/quote']

Only indirectly though. Say some bright spark suggests SMFA competitions in standard game-worlds. SM think that's great: managers are happy to possibly get another trophy if they sign up to Gold Membership and line SM's pockets a bit more. However, now SM think that all the external sides need improving so they add a ridiculous future where another external side can bid before a transfer ban is up without any managed competition and then get a new, albeit smaller, transfer ban at his new club. It's changes like this which make it blindingly obvious that SM don't think about the repercussions of some of their 'improvements' at all.

Completely understand the point about GCs but as a customer paying for elite championships, it's a bit of a joke.

3. There is a certain element of an old boys club. Most forumers are very good with new members but newbs can find some attitudes to be "I've been here since GC 1 and know it all" etc etc.

That's partially caused by a portion of the newer members. the sucking up that you see to the members with high rep is sickening at times. ive seen some of them complain because of high-pm counts asking from newcomers asking for help. its not hard to beleive.

the and gap between new and old is as much new's fault as old's fault, from what ive seen

I joined SM back in June 2009 - not that long ago compared to other living "legends" on the forum. I also decided to join the forum 6 months ago.

I am quite passionate with the game - I must admit that. I log in every day and I enjoy it. I have to say that new features and any other new additions/minor problems dont affect a lot my view about the game. SM is pretty much enjoyable because it is a way of competing with others.

I agree that many people may get very disappointed about several things like cheating - which is very frequent. I fully respect that. But from my point of view, my "love" for SM helps me to overcome these problems.

In terms of how the forum is advancing, I think that the fact that some great forumers have left, clearly makes a difference but this is life - people always come and go at some point. There are many good, new forumers around here but I do get a feeling that the forum has lost much of its purpose. There are hundreds of posts/threads asking the same things over and over again.

In conclusion, I think that several things can be improved in both the game and the forum to make it more interesting (I dont have anything in mind :o) but I am happy as things are currently :)

I joined SM back in June 2009 - not that long ago compared to other living "legends" on the forum. I also decided to join the forum 6 months ago.

I am quite passionate with the game - I must admit that. I log in every day and I enjoy it. I have to say that new features and any other new additions/minor problems dont affect a lot my view about the game. SM is pretty much enjoyable because it is a way of competing with others.

I agree that many people may get very disappointed about several things like cheating - which is very frequent. I fully respect that. But from my point of view' date=' my "love" for SM helps me to overcome these problems.

In terms of how the forum is advancing, I think that the fact that some great forumers have left, clearly makes a difference but this is life - people always come and go at some point. There are many good, new forumers around here but I do get a feeling that the forum has lost much of its purpose. There are hundreds of posts/threads asking the same things over and over again.

In conclusion, I think that several things can be improved in both the game and the forum to make it more interesting (I dont have anything in mind :o) but I am happy as things are currently :)[/quote']

That sums up alot (not all) of my views about SM. I enjoy it also. Not as a mod (someone said the mods have to defend the game, do we heck. We have to keep order on the forum, not defend it at all costs), but as a player of the game.

Good post.

A lot of good points all the way through this thread, a lot of bad ones as well thou :P

Ben was spot on about the forum side of things

But for the game itself, it plods along with "improvments" of which some really improve the game and others I just shake my head at and think why lol

I havn't got a major problem with all the GC's being made, but I guess because that impacts on newer members, where us older members already have decent clubs in the better GC's. SM at the end of the day have to make money to keep the game going and just using advertising money unless your Facebook ect just dosn't cut it.

For the negatives I think :-

1. To many players on the database leading too overwork and shoddy rating rises/falls

2. Player concerns - they just don't work and are totally inconsistent

3. People being totally unrealistic in the transfer market

4. Known cheats still being in GC's, one strike and your out I think.

For the positive:-

This is still by far the best online football management game

What killed chat was the fact you lads became forum mods and were givin chat mod straight away which A. wasnt deserved. B unfair on people like me who stayed there for a year just to get it. C people in chat who deserved chat modatorship were never going to get beacause forumers were always chose over chatters and got chat mod despite not visiting chat or contibuting in it. Not blameing u lads it was again Alan crazy bones nellers piterful idea.

If you are honest with yourself Nathan the reason the supers had to go down that route at the time was because the chat mods were sooooooooo BAD that they were forced to do that.

During the early days of chat it was left to the chat mods to pick new mods, they always picked close friends and between them always ran riot in chat with led to TONS and TONS of complaints.

I was asked loads of times to go in on fake ID's to see it for myself, so I did and the outcome was pretty bad.

Mods kicking me and other members for nothing, mods speaking to members like **** yet if the members ever said anything bad they was kicked or even banned, new members were totaly ignored by the mods and treat like rubbish.

Friends of the mods were allowed to swear and do anything they liked yet if someone else did it... kick

You can go and deny this but I saw it for myself over countless weeks and we saw the chat logs on a daily basis and this is what led to the supers picking forum mods to do the job as they in general ran the forum much better than how chat was run.

Once this happened chat went downhill because the idiots who had been getting away with murder couldnt handle it.

If you are honest with yourself Nathan the reason the supers had to go down that route at the time was because the chat mods were sooooooooo BAD that they were forced to do that.

During the early days of chat it was left to the chat mods to pick new mods' date=' they always picked close friends and between them always ran riot in chat with led to TONS and TONS of complaints.

I was asked loads of times to go in on fake ID's to see it for myself, so I did and the outcome was pretty bad.

Mods kicking me and other members for nothing, mods speaking to members like **** yet if the members ever said anything bad they was kicked or even banned, new members were totaly ignored by the mods and treat like rubbish.

Friends of the mods were allowed to swear and do anything they liked yet if someone else did it... kick

You can go and deny this but I saw it for myself over countless weeks and we saw the chat logs on a daily basis and this is what led to the supers picking forum mods to do the job as they in general ran the forum much better than how chat was run.

Once this happened chat went downhill because the idiots who had been getting away with murder couldnt handle it.[/quote']

Your points are true and i caint deny it but you dont give chat credit it widley deserves many a forumer would never of joined the forum if it wasnt for chat. As for you been randomley kicked it wud of bin an acident or you did summert cos ino that didnt happen and were you got that from ur mistaken unless it happend while i wasnt there.

Yeah there was biasness dont get me wrong but that was normally by the forum moderators chosen not kicking by the time i was leaving it the only 3 chat mods who were proper chat wer myself sam wainwright and george rest was just forum chosen and they were mainley the ones in, i woint lie i was quite bias at times and i often gave out my fair share of abuse to chat members but they deserved it you found alot of people coming on givin mods a hard time and aload of cr@p we wernt alowed to IP ban so a one day ban and they were back the next day its annoying, then when you no youv got a bunch of admins stareing at you watching for your mistake as you say you went in chat hiding so knowing we wernt trusted which most of us knew we wernt just made us more peed off.

As for choosing there best friends for mods that was normally beacause all mods were best mates with the regulars so ovbs they wud of been chosen over others it woudnt make sense.

Your points are true and i caint deny it but you dont give chat credit it widley deserves many a forumer would never of joined the forum if it wasnt for chat. As for you been randomley kicked it wud of bin an acident or you did summert cos ino that didnt happen and were you got that from ur mistaken unless it happend while i wasnt there.

It was not by accident and it happend well before the forum mods were appointed' date=' it was on countless occassions and it was mainly for just debating with some of the mods back then, because they had no answer sometimes they just kicked or banned even tho I never came close to breaking a rule.

Yeah there was biasness dont get me wrong but that was normally by the forum moderators chosen not kicking by the time i was leaving it the only 3 chat mods who were proper chat wer myself sam wainwright and george rest was just forum chosen and they were mainley the ones in, i woint lie i was quite bias at times and i often gave out my fair share of abuse to chat members but they deserved it you found alot of people coming on givin mods a hard time and aload of cr@p we wernt alowed to IP ban so a one day ban and they were back the next day its annoying, then when you no youv got a bunch of admins stareing at you watching for your mistake as you say you went in chat hiding so knowing we wernt trusted which most of us knew we wernt just made us more peed off.

But the reason we started doing that was due to the sheer amount of complaints SM got, we never belived them as we DID trust you guys, yet when we checked we soon realised that trust was very much wrong.

As for choosing there best friends for mods that was normally beacause all mods were best mates with the regulars so ovbs they wud of been chosen over others it woudnt make sense.

There was a group of about 10 people in chat who classed themselves as the elite / untouchable which inc some of the earlier mods, new members was not allowed to say ANYTHING at all (even about football if this group never liked it)

It was a HORRIBLE place for anybody not in that lame little group who thought they controlled the whole place until action was taken.

It had nothing to do with forum mods being appointed as that wouldnt make sense because the reasons these guys was appointed was because the previous ones wasnt up to scratch.

Dont forget it was agessssssss before that system was put in place, before that chat was closed twice due to complaints and even when opening the complaints (and screen shots to prove it not to mention the chat logs)

Put yourself in the other members shoes.

1 - go into chat

2- ignored most times

3- if you did speak but some people didnt like what you said they jumped on you

4- even if you never broke any rules but just didnt get on with that group you was kicked and banned.

This happened over and over and over again (trust me as I had to go through it all as a super and it was so friggin boring!)

At the time I was so sick of it I tried getting the place closed, only person fighting half the time to keep it open and trying to find ways to "fix" it was Crazy Bones and I thought he was stupid for it, so much easier to get rid.

This is a very good debate, but can people be a little bit careful when choosing to use certain words as anything filtered out is against the rules. If you are unsure if a word is allowed or not click "Preview Post" before posting and if a word is filtered it will be starred out when you check it, but you'll be able to edit it before the post goes into the thread. :)

It was not by accident and it happend well before the forum mods were appointed' date=' it was on countless occassions and it was mainly for just debating with some of the mods back then, because they had no answer sometimes they just kicked or banned even tho I never came close to breaking a rule.

But the reason we started doing that was due to the sheer amount of complaints SM got, we never belived them as we DID trust you guys, yet when we checked we soon realised that trust was very much wrong.

There was a group of about 10 people in chat who classed themselves as the elite / untouchable which inc some of the earlier mods, new members was not allowed to say ANYTHING at all (even about football if this group never liked it)

It was a HORRIBLE place for anybody not in that lame little group who thought they controlled the whole place until action was taken.

It had nothing to do with forum mods being appointed as that wouldnt make sense because the reasons these guys was appointed was because the previous ones wasnt up to scratch.

Dont forget it was agessssssss before that system was put in place, before that chat was closed twice due to complaints and even when opening the complaints (and screen shots to prove it not to mention the chat logs)

Put yourself in the other members shoes.

1 - go into chat

2- ignored most times

3- if you did speak but some people didnt like what you said they jumped on you

4- even if you never broke any rules but just didnt get on with that group you was kicked and banned.

This happened over and over and over again (trust me as I had to go through it all as a super and it was so friggin boring!)

At the time I was so sick of it I tried getting the place closed, only person fighting half the time to keep it open and trying to find ways to "fix" it was Crazy Bones and I thought he was stupid for it, so much easier to get rid.[/quote']

i aint gunna argue with ur points i disagree with some but mainley there right. But that new members one wasnt right beacause I made a fake account Dan carter or summert and checked how long it would take me to become a chat regular and well knowen friend ect i told no other mod and I was often greeted and got a chat out of the other mods. The new members bit i feel is wrong I always spoke to them if they said Hi and tried getting a convo out of them and answeard quisitons resorting back to the forum. The wasnt a bad place in its prime it was far better than the forum most people will tell you but it crumbled down and in the end it just died.

Chat was almost a complete disaster from start to finish.

Everything Neller has said regarding it I can, and do, back up. Some of the comments directed to myself on chat were beyond a joke.

Attempts were made to try to keep it afloat but it was sinking long before I left originally and I knew it was only a matter of time before it was gone altogether.

Chat was almost a complete disaster from start to finish.

Everything Neller has said regarding it I can' date=' and do, back up. Some of the comments directed to myself on chat were beyond a joke.

Attempts were made to try to keep it afloat but it was sinking long before I left originally and I knew it was only a matter of time before it was gone altogether.[/quote']

I think these comments are unfair I can get you alot of people who would stick up for chat when it was in its prime there would be about 50 people in and a good 6 convos going on and all memebrs were treated same this was when i started and early time when i became mod then it went sour

I think these comments are unfair I can get you alot of people who would stick up for chat when it was in its prime there would be about 50 people in and a good 6 convos going on and all memebrs were treated same this was when i started and early time when i became mod then it went sour

We're all entitled to our opinions and yours is just as valid as everyone elses but I disagree.

There were evenings when generally speaking' date=' everything went smoothly but mostly those were few and far between.

As Nells has already stated, it took up a lot of peoples time in the early days especially, to try and get it to work, and mostly, all people got for their hard earned (free time) was abuse.

[i']Why did I get kicked?

Why isn't he/she getting kicked?

Who can we complain too?

Who made you a mod?[/i]

ad infinitum...

Aaaaaaahahahahaha!!!

You can't be serious. You should be on stage with that as your main one liner.

As for a few members leaving. Some were banned. :rolleyes:

I agree completely with what Ben said.

Saw my name mentioned. Am I one of the reasons? I feel privelidged you think so. :rolleyes: Nice dig. ;)

Looking back now. Chat was good in it's heyday, when it was controlled, I think there were too many mods in the end and also the fact that the devs didn't pay alot of attention to it. HOWEVER: It was just genuinely more fun back then, due to chat having alot of forumers, i.e me, dai, lee, matt, george, etc. we could talk in there and then add to the forum from it, for example being in the same setups. I just think it's got a bit old and a lot of us have grown up a bit. I was 15 and still at school when I started playing this game, I've been in a full time job for three years now and barely get the time to play this anymore. The fact is, some people get bored and move on, some stay and just become part of the furniture, you do get a select few who still stand out after all this time. I just think SM was more user friendly to begin with. It's getting more and more complicated, and expensive.

Looking back now. Chat was good in it's heyday' date=' when it was controlled, I think there were too many mods in the end and also the fact that the devs didn't pay alot of attention to it. HOWEVER: It was just genuinely more fun back then, due to chat having alot of forumers, i.e me, dai, lee, matt, george, etc. we could talk in there and then add to the forum from it, for example being in the same setups. I just think it's got a bit old and a lot of us have grown up a bit. I was 15 and still at school when I started playing this game, I've been in a full time job for three years now and barely get the time to play this anymore. The fact is, some people get bored and move on, some stay and just become part of the furniture, you do get a select few who still stand out after all this time. I just think SM was more user friendly to begin with. It's getting more and more complicated, and expensive.[/quote']

Expensive? Are you joking? A renewal is £7.99 for a year! That's like what, 15p a week roughly. I throw more than that away in change in a week.

If you're a new member you can have a brand new GM (2 years worth) and 5 reserve clubs in new GCs for under 32p per week.

Expensive? Are you joking? A renewal is £7.99 for a year! That's like what' date=' 15p a week roughly. I throw more than that away in change in a week.

If you're a new member you can have a brand new GM (2 years worth) and 5 reserve clubs in new GCs for under 32p per week.[/quote']

I meant expensive to tramps. Jeeeeez. always on my back! ;)