I need a rant - If you are passionate, have a look...

Re: I need a rant - If you are passionate, have a look...

Pazz' date=' I'm with you 100%, but you won't get far with some people. There's some sort of elitist mentality from people who own season tickets to see their local club each week. How that makes you better than someone who doesn't get the opportunity to watch their favourite side is beyond me.

Also, I disagree with an element of your counter-point Dave. If a Man Utd fan (or whoever) buys a shirt each season and subscribes to Sky/ESPN television (or whatever it may be in other country's), are they not supporting their club? After all, they are funding the income of the club, so surely that's a method of supporting the club?[/quote']

Is a buying a shirt enough to call your self someone who's supporting the team. I think someone who turns up to the game, through good and bad times and actually get behind the team. I don't have any problem with liking a team, i like the way Tottenham play - who doesn't, i like Newport County & Neath with ex and loaned out Swansea City players. Because i still and will continue to like these players as there of and were at my belove clubs.

If someone's supporting Manchester United for no particular reason other then the fact there at the top of the Premier League, then i don't see them as a supporter. If Man. Utd did a Leeds, the majority of them would be happy to support Man. City or Chelsea or Liverpool. And there's the one's who support Manchester United, and at the sametime want Liverpool & Manchester City to win there games.

im just saying that in this modern day' date=' no one fits that categorisation. and if they do, they are crazy bat insane.[/quote']

Just a question mate ... where are you from?

Because if you are British - like myself, you'd know that there's a lot more then 21. I would catogerise myself into all of the statement, bar the fact that i don't usually go to away games - but other then that i would say i would fit into all of the statements. I'd confidently say that there's 250-400 Swansea City fans that certainly fit into everything said, and go to all games ... home and away. Including a certain Swansea fan who lives and works in Carlisle, and one who is actual mental which if i start talking about - i'd be here all night.

And no, your not a supporter in any way at all if your from the US and call yourself a fan since they've been doing well - highly doubt you could give us a Tottenham related song.

Because if you are British - like myself' date=' you'd know that there's a lot more then 21. I would catogerise myself into all of the statement, bar the fact that i don't usually go to away games - but other then that i would say i would fit into all of the statements. I'd confidently say that there's 250-400 Swansea City fans that certainly fit into everything said, and go to all games ... home and away. Including a certain Swansea fan who lives and works in Carlisle, and one who is actual mental which if i start talking about - i'd be here all night.[/quote']

problem is that in these days of midweek games, to go to all games means not having a job, or missing work. basically, it means not having a life other then you football team. if you are british, it's easier to go to all home and away games then if you are, say, russian. even french, or german.

problem here is that this forum is anglo-centric. brits dont realise that they cant just go around labelling the world with their terms that only apply to themselves. reality =/ UK.

Edit: didnt mean since they are doing well. i was actually referring to the example of nba basketball player steve nash, who has made it clear on multiple occasions that he watches every tottenham game.

problem is that in these days of midweek games' date=' to go to all games means not having a job, or missing work. basically, it means not having a life other then you football team. if you are british, it's easier to go to all home and away games then if you are, say, russian. even french, or german.

problem here is that this forum is anglo-centric. brits dont realise that they cant just go around labelling the world with their terms that only apply to themselves. reality =/ UK.[/quote']

No dis-respect but this is the English Forum so its always likely to take on an British feel to it. That said i suspect the same debate could easily rage on, on the foreign forums :):)

problem is that in these days of midweek games' date=' to go to all games means not having a job, or missing work. basically, it means not having a life other then you football team. if you are british, it's easier to go to all home and away games then if you are, say, russian. even french, or german.

problem here is that this forum is anglo-centric. brits dont realise that they cant just go around labelling the world with their terms that only apply to themselves. reality =/ UK.[/quote']

Most people dont work on Tuesday untill after 7 anyway, and a supporter would make sure there not working at that time if they could. I don't know what your on about with foreigners, the only difference is there games kick off 15 minutes later generally.

If your suggesting that everyone supports british teams in those countries your wrong, they have no reason to.

if you are british' date=' it's easier to go to all home and away games then if you are, say, russian. even french, or german.

[/quote']

Whilst that is true it's not impossible, and i'm almost positive there will be people around that manage it. In fact, my brother lives in Australia and one of his friends, a Brisbane Roar fan, hasn't missed a game of theirs home or away for over 3 years. He's managed this whilst also maintaining a job (albeit as a web designer which i guess he can do on the move). From what my brother tells me there a little group that travel with his friend.....and let's face it, Australia isn't tiny.

Most people dont work on Tuesday untill after 7 anyway' date=' and a supporter would make sure there not working at that time if they could. I don't know what your on about with foreigners, the only difference is there games kick off 15 minutes later generally.

If your suggesting that everyone supports british teams in those countries your wrong, they have no reason to.[/quote']

put it this way. if you live in seattle and your team is playing in miami...

im not suggesting they all support british teams either. im just using british teams as an example because this is an anglo-centric forum and most people on here wouldnt be able to tell me what colour getafes kit is.

And no' date=' your not a supporter in any way at all if your from the US and call yourself a fan since they've been doing well - highly doubt you could give us a Tottenham related song.[/quote']

axm8c2ble0U

This ones a good one :)

Whilst that is true it's not impossible' date=' and i'm almost positive there will be people around that manage it. In fact, my brother lives in Australia and one of his friends, a Brisbane Roar fan, hasn't missed a game of theirs home or away for over 3 years. He's managed this whilst also maintaining a job (albeit as a web designer which i guess he can do on the move). From what my brother tells me there a little group that travel with his friend.....and let's face it, Australia isn't tiny.[/quote']

by that logic, no poor person could be a supporter.

by that logic' date=' no poor person could be a supporter.[/quote']

I think your now clutching at straws here.....let's think this through.....

Campervan....second hand...£2,000?

Petrol money...well that can vary lots so £1,500 should suffice.

Home season ticket....£300

Away tickets....let's go all out here...£800 (that's nearly £40 a game....)

Price of food....£40 a week times 52 equals.....£2,080?

So that's about £6,500 if you want to do it the live for football in a mobile home way....the dole in the UK probably pays out more than that. Plus the mobile home is a one off payment.

Whilst i admit that's a very crazy idea and not many would probably do it this way, it shows poor people could be supporters.

I think your now clutching at straws here.....let's think this through.....

Campervan....second hand...£2' date='000?

Petrol money...well that can vary lots so £1,500 should suffice.

Home season ticket....£300

Away tickets....let's go all out here...£800 (that's nearly £40 a game....)

Price of food....£40 a week times 52 equals.....£2,080?

So that's about £6,500 if you want to do it the live for football in a mobile home way....the dole in the UK probably pays out more than that. Plus the mobile home is a one off payment.

Whilst i admit that's a very crazy idea and not many would probably do it this way, it shows poor people could be supporters.[/quote']

in england, a small country, yes.

in the russia... no.

even australia.. most of the clubs are concentrated in the same area, right?

in england' date=' a small country, yes.

in the russia... no.

even australia.. most of the clubs are concentrated in the same area, right?[/quote']

Brisbane is 1000km (620 miles) away from Sydney....not exactly close is it. Your looking at a 10 hour drive to get there, and that's if your lucky with traffic.

Brisbane is 1000km (620 miles) away from Sydney....not exactly close is it. Your looking at a 10 hour drive to get there' date=' and that's if your lucky with traffic.[/quote']

then remind me how you get there for weekday games if you have a job thats not a stay at home job again, without investing in a flight?

or, you know, a family?

Completely agree!

Too many times this 'talking down' to other fans because they can't or don't go to games. Its shocking.

Great thread. Its an absolute hate of mine.. I doubt it will change the mind-set of the silly ones that think that way though.

I also agree :)

If someone decides to be a glory hunter, then that's fine. They're the ones who miss out on watching their team at Wembley, play-off games, seeing their side stay up on the last day of the season etc. For me, Exeter's win against Huddersfield last season will be something I always remember, with an 82nd minute winner to avoid relegation. Nothing will beat that moment, and for glory hunters it's something they'll never experience. That's their choice, they are the ones missing out.

then remind me how you get there for weekday games if you have a job thats not a stay at home job again' date=' without investing in a flight?

or, you know, a family?[/quote']

Ever heard of booking a days holiday? Most jobs come with an alloted amount of days, and yes that includes in Australia. Or you could switch your shift with another member of staff......why are you trying to put up every single barrier possible? It's quite obvious there it IS possible to support a team on a budget, and also support them home and away should you be willing to put in a teeny weeny bit of effort.

Altogether unsure where I stand on this :) On one hand, I'm with Adamski and think a fan of a club should have some connection to the club they support. Obviously the rule is forgotten for those who live in an area with no football to watch and have to follow other leagues (inevitably large) and support the teams shown most often (inevitably large). I don't get how someone living in the centre of Birmingham, say, is a Man United fan when he has so much quality football around him which is far more accessible.

On the other, if someone really puts effort into following a club then why shouldn't they? Say there's someone living in Newcastle who likes the way Arsenal play and goes to every game he can and watches the rest on TV. I'd say he's more of a fan than myself and I'm pretty near to City.

Overall I think it's generally accepted that there are different levels of support. You get the ultras who follow their team everywhere; the vocal fan who goes to home games and some away and shouts and sings with the ultras; the casual fan who might have a season ticket, goes to a few games a season and generally just sits and watches; the armchair fan (including those abroad) who can't get to games but watch them some other way and finally the type that really irks me who do nothing to support their club but wear it as a badge and normally boast how successful they are.

then remind me how you get there for weekday games if you have a job thats not a stay at home job again' date=' without investing in a flight?

or, you know, a family?[/quote']

That's the whole point - local supporting. If there's a connection then fine, but if there's no connection then you shouldn't have the priveledge to go to the midweek games.

Guest drseanfitz

So where do I fall in all your definitions?(be kind Dave:D)

I live in Manchester and support Greenock Morton, who are a good 5 hour drive away in Scotland.

I've been to a couple of games, last game I went to I travelled to a pre-season friendly at Morecombe.

Travelling to Scotland every weekend & midweek is not an option.

never get to watch them generally as they're never televised and finding games online is nigh on impossible.

I regularly buy a kit, and managed to get pitchside in the ground close season when I was visiting Scotland in the summer.

not really a glory hunter as the clubs honours reads:

* Scottish Cup

o Winners: 1921–1922

o Runners-up: 1947–1948

* Scottish League Cup

o Runners-up: 1963–1964

* Scottish Challenge Cup

o Runners-up: 1992–1993

* Scottish Premier Division

o Runners-up: 1916–1917

* Scottish First Division

o Champions: 1949–1950, 1963–1964, 1966–1967, 1977–1978, 1983–1984, 1986–1987

o Runners-up: 1899–1900, 1928–1929, 1936–1937

* Scottish Second Division

o Champions: 1994–1995, 2006–2007

o Runners-up: 2005–2006

* Scottish Third Division

o Champions: 2002–2003

* Renfrewshire Cup

o Champions: 51 times

* Great War Shield

o Champions: 1914

Personally Pazz i would say its unimportant who you follow and where they come from ....if you accept that's its all about Definition ....

Supporter = Someone who regularly attends games

Fan = Someone who doesn't

Therefore it follows someone who lives in Hull ( who never attends games ) can claim to be a Real Madrid Fan but not a supporter' date=' that title is reserved for people who bother to attend the games, get me ? :)[/color']

Suporter/Fan - Is the same in my personal book...

Anyway, as andyowls pointed out - If you subscribe to a channel (cable-tv) for a year/a season, which is practically the best thing to do for a distance-supporter like me, don't you think that you are doing the best out of the situation and that you are by subscribing to cable-tv, showing as much support for your team as the regular supporter? Besides, it's not like we see a Man U fans, who attends to the games at Old Trafford, travelling to other cities to follow their team nearby. Aren't those supporters as much glory-hunters/ arm chair fan (in your eyes), as those who supports the team from a different country or any other long distances? Practically, everyone is a glory-hunter arm chair fan then, if we are going to draw this conclutision.

The reason to why I follow and support these European continental teams are beacuse of the very simple reason, the TV. That's the main reason to why so many of us from other parts of Europe or the World often supports the bigger teams (like Man U or Chelsea, for instance), as they are more showed on these different sports-channels we can watch at in Sweden and many other parts of the World. Beacuse they are the bigger attractions from the EPL, the channel are making use of that to attract more fans to their channel. Those who don't really follow football so frequently, might just one day zapp over to the very sports-channel and voila, they fall in love with the team that is leading and playing (which often is a bigger club, as they are more showed on these channels).

Suporter/Fan - Is the same in my personal book...

Anyway' date=' as andyowls pointed out - If you subscribe to a channel (cable-tv) for a year/a season, which is practically the best thing to do for a distance-supporter like me, don't you think that you are doing the best out of the situation and that you are by subscribing to cable-tv, showing as much support for your team as the regular supporter? Besides, it's not like we see a Man U fans, who attends to the games at Old Trafford, travelling to other cities to follow their team nearby. Aren't those supporters as much glory-hunters/ arm chair fan (in your eyes), as those who supports the team from a different country or any other long distances? Practically, everyone is a glory-hunter arm chair fan then, if we are going to draw this conclutision. [/quote']

.......... i can certainly understand a supporters ( my term) side of the argument' date=' certainly in my day ( yes the game was different) but i always considered a fan as someone who sees a club as a hobby or casual entertainment. Whereas supporters take it an awful lot more seriously. No matter where or when the club plays, or how important the match is, the supporter is there. A lot of times this means sacrificing other aspects of his life, work, family, friends etc. A Supporter will defend the club's name, loyalty and honor, if necessary often getting into trouble. Simply shouting in front of the telly is not enough, nor is wearing a replica shirt or subscribing to 4-4-2. If you accept that mindset exists then you can clearly see why a supporter will always question a fans opinion and commitment.

[/color']

With respect Pazz i was only attempting to explain a different mindset that exists between different types of football follower, clearly in many peoples eyes it exists and explains why the term glory hunter is levelled at your good self. :)

The reason to why I follow and support these European continental teams are beacuse of the very simple reason, the TV. That's the main reason to why so many of us from other parts of Europe or the World often supports the bigger teams (like Man U or Chelsea, for instance), as they are more showed on these different sports-channels we can watch at in Sweden and many other parts of the World.....

By my own admission Pazz I am extremely ancient and happily i often choose to live in the past. So accordingly. no matter how i try i struggle with the fact that anyone would not follow their local club, no matter the standard. Maybe its a sign of the modern world when people feel more loyalty to what is being shown on TV as to what is happening on their own doorstep. It wasn't like this in the 18th century you know..:)