• Marc van Bommel
    • Momo Sissoko
    • Scott Parker
    • Patrick Viera
    • Gareth Barry
    • William Gallas
    • Morten Gamst Pedersen

Re: who is the most underrated or unpraised star in football

You asked if anyone remembered Vieira at Sissoko's age. I do.

When he was 21 he was in Arsenal's double winning team of the 1997/98 season. Who cares how many assists he had' date=' you can use stats in many ways. I asked the question would he pose a threat in the final third of the pitch.

Vieira played in a double winning side at the age of 21, he must of been doing something right![/font'] ;)

who cares?? well the point you first made was is he a threat in the final 3rd, well if hes not getting many goals (which he never) and he didnt get any assists were is the threat?

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In September 1996' date=' the incoming Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger asked for him to be bought from A.C. Milan before he took up his position. Vieira's height, stamina and physical strength meant he settled in England quickly, while his composure and the quality of his passing meant he became an integral part of Wenger's stylish attacking side.

Forming a midfield partnership with compatriot Emmanuel Petit, Vieira won the Premiership and FA Cup Double in 1998, his first full season at the club. That summer, he was called up to France's 1998 World Cup squad.

Vieira's earlier years at Arsenal was beset by disciplinary problems - in 2000-01 he was sent off twice in two consecutive matches, though after returning he did not accrue a card for 28 matches. In all he has been sent off twelve times in his career (nine times with Arsenal and once with Juventus, France and Internazionale).

Vieira would go on to win Euro 2000 with France, as well as a second Double with Arsenal in 2002. After Tony Adams's retirement in 2002, Vieira (already vice-captain) became club captain, since which his disciplinary problems cooled significantly. Though he missed Arsenal's 2003 FA Cup final win with injury, Vieira lifted the trophy jointly with captain for the day David Seaman.

In 2003-04 at Arsenal, he captained the side on an historic unbeaten season in the Premier League, and in the 2005 FA Cup Final he scored the winning kick in a penalty shoot-out with his final kick in Arsenal colours, after a 0-0 draw with Manchester United. In total, Vieira played 407 times for Arsenal and scored 33 times.

Not bad for a player who apparently couldn't tackle or pass. :rolleyes:[/quote']

Sissoko is seen by some in the game as a future midfield star of European football. Liverpool manager, Rafael Benítez, showered praise upon him when he said Sissoko possessed "incredible ability for his age" and similar qualities to Frenchman Patrick Vieira.[2] His early career, like Vieira's, has been marked with disciplinary problems as he tends to pick up yellow cards for late or reckless tackles. However, his fierce competitiveness has been effective for Liverpool, and he is fast becoming a fan favourite, as shown in the tribute by Liverpool fans in the form of a large Mali flag with the Scouse phrase "Momo Is Boss" adorning it.

There were fears for Sissoko's eyesight in his right eye after his retina was severely damaged after he was accidentally kicked in the head by SL Benfica's Beto in the first leg of their Champions League knockout round tie in February 2006. Sissoko has made a recovery and returned in the 6th round of the FA Cup against Birmingham City where Liverpool won the game 7-0.

The 2006–07 season got off to a flying start for Sissoko with victory for Liverpool in the FA Community Shield and Sissoko taking the man-of-the-match award. Sissoko's season had been put on hold due to an arm injury he suffered at Birmingham City in the Carling Cup in early November. On 29 January 2007 it was announced that Sissoko would be fully fit for Liverpool's local derby match against Everton on 3 February.However,he made his comeback from injury by playing against Newcastle in a game which Liverpool lost 2-1. [6]

Sissoko's first real test after coming back from injury was in the Champions League against F.C. Barcelona, the holders. Sissoko was awarded the Man of the Match award by Uefa.

Remember all of the above is at 21 years of age only the top paragraph of yours was vieira at 21 the rest was when he was what 24/25?

I expect other people to have a different opinion on Sissoko but i dont see how anyone who see's the amount of help he gives the liverpool defense and energy which helps the likes of gerrard go forward can say hes a bad player

If people are judging him on a couple of games or clips on Match of the day then i can see why.

I didnt say he couldnt tackle i said his tackles were badly timed

Valencia

2003–04 Spanish Primera División

2003–04 UEFA Cup

2004–05 European Super Cup

Liverpool

2005–06 European Super Cup

2005–06 FA Cup

2006–07 FA Community Shield

Thats not to bad for the age of 21 either :rolleyes:

When did I say that Sissoko was not a good player? In my opinion he is not as good as Vieira was at the same age and that ain't going to change. ;)

When did I say that Sissoko was not a good player? In my opinion he is not as good as Vieira was at the same age and that ain't going to change. ;)

When did i say vieira wasnt a good player? in all my posts all i have done is answer your questions, you posted me some article of some site of vieira so i did the same with Sissoko.

you said that wasnt bad for a player who couldnt pass or tackle (which i never said) so i once again put the same back :)

None of us can say weather Sissoko will become a better player than vieira or not as we cant predict the future, if we could im sure we wouldnt be on SM forum as we would be ritch :)

But the people who keep saying Vieira was a miles better player at 21 is just simply not true, Vieira became an amazing player one of the premierships best but he sure wasnt at 21. so i just think before people start talking about Sissoko they should remember such things.

Sissoko has miles to go before he becomes they player Vieira become.

Everyone has there own opinions but as a liverpool fan im very, very happy hes in our team we wouldnt be the same side without him. After all what he cost us he paid back with his 1 performance in the nou camp as we wouldnt have made it thought without him. and the cash we would have got from that was more than his transfer fee :)

Yeah probably like when you said Henrik larsson was not that good? if thats your judgement Liverpool fans have alot to look forward to :)

seriously tho can you remember Vieira when he was Sissoko's age? nobody has answered that yet he looked no better than Sissoko at 21 so why cant Sissoko improve like he did?

I no you are never wrong and all that being an excellent scout and judge but you never know after all that arguing you did with Fraser on that other thread about Larsson' date=' in the end looks like he was 100% correct you never know in a few years (like every player should get) i might be proved right[/quote']

Larsson still is and always has been overated!

What did he actually do for Man Utd, got 3 goals in about12 - 15 games?? hardly amazing.

Also, by my reckoning and most pundits, united started playing pretty cack about a month and a half ago and started scrapping results, im not saying it was because of the inculusion of Larsson, but big players step up during tough times!

BTW, what has larsson and fraser got to do with this??

He actually left Arsenal for Bacelona :)

He was offered a deal at Bolton when Chelsea realeased him.

He was very interested in signing and Big Sam was very keen to take him.

Again the board cocked the deal up by moving the goal posts during negotiations and he did'nt sign and sam was furious with them.

They did'nt learn there lesson as last summer they did the same again when Sorin was about sign.

We lost the possibility of signing two word class players because of a bunch of brass buttoned blazer wearing tossers!

Now only 3 people are allowed to be involvd in transfer negotiations at Sam's insistence and that is the ownder, the chairman and Sam himself.

That's why we managed to sign Anaelka.

Larsson still is and always has been overated!

What did he actually do for Man Utd' date=' got 3 goals in about12 - 15 games?? hardly amazing.

Also, by my reckoning and most pundits, united started playing pretty cack about a month and a half ago and started scrapping results, im not saying it was because of the inculusion of Larsson, but big players step up during tough times!

BTW, what has larsson and fraser got to do with this??[/quote']

Larsson is and always has been an amazing player, you are the first ever person who i have seen say this about him.

Yes i can see why some dont rate Sissoko but Larsson?? its not all about his goals although he is an amazing goal scorer.

I brung this up because u didnt think Sissoko was very good and overated etc etc. And i remembered what u said about Larsson, so looking at your judgement on that one i have nothing to worry about with Sissoko :rolleyes:

Larsson is and always has been an amazing player' date=' you are the first ever person who i have seen say this about him.

Yes i can see why some dont rate Sissoko but Larsson?? its not all about his goals although he is an amazing goal scorer.

I brung this up because u didnt think Sissoko was very good and overated etc etc. And i remembered what u said about Larsson, so looking at your judgement on that one i have nothing to worry about with Sissoko :rolleyes:[/quote']

Well, i wouldnt say larsson was or is an amazing player. Hes a very good, intelligent player, who happens to be a legend at Celtic, but I definitely refrain using comments like 'amazing' when talking about him.

Listen, i posted about sissoko like 20 messages back asking you to explain what is so good about him.

You haven't answered in any shape or form..

If, indeed as you say, I am a real liverpool fan then I would appreciate sissoko?

Why? can't i criticise or have an opinion on players if i think they're cack?

You're probably the sort of person who hated players like Jermaine Pennant, but probably have a picture of him, complete with shaven eyebrow, under your pillow since he moved to liverpool...

I dont think pennant is good enough for liverpool, and neither do i think sissoko is...

if your happy finishing 4th place every season above no mark teams like bolton and spurs then lets welcome players like sissoko with open arms. But as a liverpool fan lad, I want to win the league. Players like sissoko will not take us there....

ogod i cant believe my eyes he is overrated lmao lmao lmao rooney,scholes,ronaldo and co didnt seem to think so if anything he is underrated 7 glorious seasons at celtic superb goalscorer went to barce won the champions league came on and changed the game then to man u on loan plays well scored and ties up there champs league quarter final place..

Well' date=' i wouldnt say larsson was or is an amazing player. Hes a very good, intelligent player, who happens to be a legend at Celtic, but I definitely refrain using comments like 'amazing' when talking about him.

Listen, i posted about sissoko like 20 messages back asking you to explain what is so good about him.

You haven't answered in any shape or form..

If, indeed as you say, I am a real liverpool fan then I would appreciate sissoko?

Why? can't i criticise or have an opinion on players if i think they're cack?

You're probably the sort of person who hated players like Jermaine Pennant, but probably have a picture of him, complete with shaven eyebrow, under your pillow since he moved to liverpool...

I dont think pennant is good enough for liverpool, and neither do i think sissoko is...

if your happy finishing 4th place every season above no mark teams like bolton and spurs then lets welcome players like sissoko with open arms. But as a liverpool fan lad, I want to win the league. Players like sissoko will not take us there....[/quote']

When in any of my posts did i say you have to agree with me? infact i have mensioned loads of times everyone has there own opinion, if you think yours is fact then yours your problem not mine.

50% of people rated Sissoko and 50% never what makes any of them correct?

The fact of the matter is we are just some people debating a player on an online Forum, The scouts for liverpool and the manager rate him so i guess your still a better judge of player than them ?.. yes of course

why you feel the need to say silly little comments like the one about Pennant i dont know, maybe thats what you do with your Riqeuemes,Mascherano's but its not for me sorry ;)

The fact of the matter is no matter what you say i will rate Sissoko im sorry but i cant agree with the mighy scratys opinion but im allowed my own as are millions of others who rate him.

4th place would that be behind Chelsea,Man Utd, Arsenal.. why is that so bad?

no im not happy about it and would love to see liverpool win the league as im sure the mighty Real Madrid would love to win theres again but it doesnt always happen like that.

Im sure i answered why i rated sissoko a few posts back ill have to check.

yup previous page #47

Well' date=' i wouldnt say larsson was or is an amazing player. Hes a very good, intelligent player, who happens to be a legend at Celtic, but I definitely refrain using comments like 'amazing' when talking about him.

[/quote']

Once again your personal opinion, were all allowed our own :)

[/quote']

Larsson is an amazing player.

His eye for goal, and all round game is immense.

Remember in the Euro's in 04, he scored an amazing diving header for Sweden.

Cant remember if it was, but im pretty sure it was voted goal of the tournament.

As for finishing above no mark teams like Bolton and Spurs.

Surely if you come 1st then your still finishing above the same teams???????

As for finishing above no mark teams like Bolton and Spurs.

Surely if you come 1st then your still finishing above the same teams???????

Your attitude stinks IMO.

aww sorry, did i make a nasty comment about bolton?

yeah, if you finish first you would generally finish above every team in the league too. funny how that works...

any else to add speediez?

aww sorry' date=' did i make a nasty comment about bolton?

yeah, if you finish first you would generally finish above every team in the league too. funny how that works...

any else to add speediez? [/quote']

I think he ment your previous reply's to me as you seemed to be taking it badly just because i wasnt agreeing with you. not the bolton comment hes probably well used to bolton not getting the credit they deserve by now...

Plus he was only giving his opinion on your attitude dont think theres any need to resort to name calling, although i notice you had the sense not to finish it off :)

seriously tho, are we not allowed to have different views on players? this thread could go on forever but none of us are really going to change our opinions on players just because other people online think there "cack"

Not to different from you rating people in SA who others do not think would ever make it once they move, infact the best ones always move anyway (i think it was you who created that thread about SA underated etc) it not then i mean someone else.

But still all different opinions, no need to get all personal when we dont agree :)

Momo Sissoko has been a great Liverpool signing! He is young, has great strength, great awareness and great tackling! He plays his socks off for Liverpool in the centre of midfield! Definatly deserves some praise!

Yes i know he get's a few yellow cards here and there, but that isn't for laying off challenges and not playing well is it! The amount of tackles this guy puts in in a match is unbelievable! I don't know how anyone can say he's not good! He is a brick wall is this guy, and tries his hardest not to let anybody have a shot on goal! He is a great player to hold up the ball and get red shirts forward too! All the abilities he has right now are quality for him as he is still only young! He is bound to get better as the years go by also which is a great prospect for Liverpool!

Rafa knows his stuff at the minute about who to sign! He is turning the vast majority of signings into great Liverpool football club players! :D

Opinions are opinions, i thought that Marlon King should be up there with with the elite, but there you go.

If you've got these balloons argueing about Bolton Wanderers, then maybe you should set up another thread for them ?

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but it's like argueing about Anderlechts under 4's youth policy.

Just throw them both a bucket of catfood and let them chew.

Opinions are opinions' date=' i thought that Marlon King should be up there with with the elite, but there you go.

If you've got these balloons argueing about Bolton Wanderers, then maybe you should set up another thread for them ?

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but it's like argueing about Anderlechts under 4's youth policy.

Just throw them both a bucket of catfood and let them chew.[/quote']

No one is argeing over Bolton on this thread :), but yeah agree with you abotu everyone has there own opinions, if they never the forum would be a pretty boring place to be and what would be the point in even having a debate

Larsson is and always has been an amazing player' date=' you are the first ever person who i have seen say this about him.

I brung this up because u didnt think Sissoko was very good and overated etc etc. And i remembered what u said about Larsson, so looking at your judgement on that one i have nothing to worry about with Sissoko :rolleyes:[/quote']

Make your mind up, first of all your saying you arent trying to change people opinions, then your celebrating a victory over me (i dunno what kind of victory) by quoting a conv ersation i had with Fraser.

Ive grown bored of this thread, im a Liverpool fan yet i can see there flaws and problems, and Sissokos presence in midfield is a huge one. Obviously your views are blinkered by your red shirt reflecting onto your rose tinted glasses.

One final question, who would you pick centre mid, Xabi and Sissooko, Gerrard and Sissoko or Xabi and Gerrard. Its an easy one for me!!!

Make your mind up' date=' first of all your saying you arent trying to change people opinions, then your celebrating a victory over me (i dunno what kind of victory) by quoting a conv ersation i had with Fraser.

[/quote']

How was i trying to change your opinion ? :confused: All i said was if your judgement turns out like it did with Larsson then i have nothing to worry about, How does that mean im trying to change anyones opinions?? :rolleyes:

Ive grown bored of this thread' date=' im a Liverpool fan yet i can see there flaws and problems, and Sissokos presence in midfield is a huge one. Obviously your views are blinkered by your red shirt reflecting onto your rose tinted glasses. [/quote']

Yeah once again because i rate Sissoko once again i must be wrong :rolleyes: , i think your views are blinkered by your bad judgement.

Let me ask you this, disgard any of our opnions, why the hell does Rafa pick him every match then? his views blinkered? bad manager?, .. sure

One final question' date=' who would you pick centre mid, Xabi and Sissooko, Gerrard and Sissoko or Xabi and Gerrard. Its an easy one for me!!![/quote']

Maybe you should be the manager then instead of Rafa, I personaly would pick Xavi and Gerrard but how does that prove Sissoko is not a good player? 1 (once again) hes alot younger than both of those, and 2 both those players would be picked in front of most players.

Do you honestly belive without Sissoko playing the role he did in the Nou Camp we would have come away with a win?

I think your judgement of a player is rubbish, as sure you do mine are we gonna change each others views? nope so why dont we just leave it, all we are doing now is posting pointless stuff and getting our post counts up.

Think the Sissoko thing is pretty much settled now, some rate him some dont