Gregory van der Wiel

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Gregory van der Wiel

Has remained in the 1st team squad since his debut...

Unused sub against PSV.

Came on in the 71st minute against Heracles.

Started against RKC and played 81 minutes.

Grygera and Stam are both out injured again so hopefully he'll get more 1st team appearances before the end of the season.

Article on his debut here...

http://english.ajax.nl/web/show/id=154814/contentid=62048

• 4 months later...

haha...I was just looking around and ended up coming across this guy. I was just gunna make a thread for him, but you beat me to it. I think he will turn out to be a very good person. If not, he can at least incease in the ratings enough to gain some cash for your club, if you can get him now while he's still kinda cheap....

• 2 months later...

Clocked up 280 minutes last season and has already played 4 games (269mins) this season.

He started the last Ajax game and played all 90mins. With Jaap Stam announcing his immediate retirement on Monday he should hopefully get a lot more games this season.

Still only a 78 rating so can be picked up fairly cheeply. I'm guessing he'll rise a bit when the Dutch ratings are carried out in a couple of weeks.

Yeah with Jaap Stam retiring , he will surely get his chance . But the problem is i am sure Ajax will buy a defender to replace Stam . He started 2 games for them in the uefa cup this season & with 2 starts and 2 sub appearances in the league . he will surely get another small rise .

Do they have a transfer window in Holland like they have in England? If so... they won't be able to replace Stam until it reopens. Apparently Van Der Wiel has played very well when selected so might get his chance to shine between now and the transfer window.

It is similar to that of england . hope he plays for some time to exhibit his potentials .has he represented the youth natinal team ?

yeah, Van der Wiel will go up and get plenty of playing time until next winter.

Same goes for Robert Schilder, Siem de Jong (added to SM databse only 3 weeks ago) and Jan-Arie Van der Heijden (not yet in Database).

Better get those ajax youths. They're going to increase a lot this season.

(or just be lucky that you already have Ajax selected, lik I have:) )

Yeah with Jaap Stam retiring ' date=' he will surely get his chance . But the problem is i am sure Ajax will buy a defender to replace Stam . He started 2 games for them in the uefa cup this season & with 2 starts and 2 sub appearances in the league . he will surely get another small rise .[/quote']

Ajax coach Adrie Koster is confident young defender Gregory van der Wiel will be able to plug the gap left following the sudden retirement of Jaap Stam.

The 19-year-old stepped in for the injured Stam at the heart of the defence in the 1-0 win at FC Utrecht on Sunday.

Stam then announced his decision to hang up his boots on Monday, but Koster sees no reason to change his back-line around following the announcement.

He told www.ajax.nl: "I am satisfied with the central duo. Van der Wiel and (Johnny) Heitinga did well against FC Utrecht. I will let them start against Heerenveen too."

an article i read on sportinglife. Seems like ajax most probably wun be buying any defenders for now which means van der Wiel is likely to be getting more playing time^^ This means he is likely to get an increase when the rating changes comes

It is similar to that of england . hope he plays for some time to exhibit his potentials .has he represented the youth natinal team ?

He has played for the Dutch U21s recently. Missed the last game through injury but is back in the squad for this weekend's game. However... he went off injured in Ajax's game at the weekend so not sure if he's fit or not.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest Abdel Zizi

Didn't know there was a thread on him, I have him for a very long time (before he played) in my team(s).

He does fully deserve 88. One of the first names on the team sheet at Ajax and now a regular RB for Holland, with players like Heitinga on the bench because of him.

He is the only real RB in the Holland squad and many (coaches, players and commentators) predict him to be their RB for many, many years to come.