Barcelona & Qatar Foundation agree £125m shirt deal

shack

Barcelona have ended their 111-year history of refusing commercial shirt sponsorship by signing a record £125m deal with the Qatar Foundation.

The Catalan giants have paid to carry the Unicef logo for the last five years and the children's charity will share shirt space with the new sponsors.

Barcelona have a sizeable debt but now claim to be "the undisputed brand leader in world football".

The deal will be worth £25m a year from next season through until 2016.

In July, an audit revealed Barcelona's debt to be £369.5m after a loss of more than £64.36m in the 2009/10 season.

The new sponsorship arrangement could free up some transfer funds for coach Pep Guardiola - who worked as an ambassador for Qatar's successful bid to host the 2022 World Cup.

The Qatar Foundation is a non-profit organisation concerned primarily with education projects in the Middle East.

It is chaired by Her Highness Sheikha Mozah Bint Nasser Al-Missned, the wife of the Emir, who was central to Qatar's final World Cup bid last week.

Senior club executives said the deal was a "remarkable milestone because it represents a record level of revenue for a football club and has more value still in the current economic climate".

Manchester United and Real Madrid both earn a little over £20m a year for their rights, while Bayern Munich make closer to £23m.

Marketing experts will seek to find a way for both logos to be displayed on the Barcelona shirts, although if that is not possible the Unicef name will take priority.

Thought it might be worth posting on here :)

Re: Barcelona & Qatar Foundation agree £125m shirt deal

That's the new president of Barcelona for you. I am glad it didn't take him long to show his true identity to people who didn't know already. He will claim it was necessary to cover up Laporta's debts.

I said this before even reading the post...now it's evident that it is exactly what he is trying to do. Cheap, just cheap...

That's the new president of Barcelona for you. I am glad it didn't take him long to show his true identity to people who didn't know already. He will claim it was necessary to cover up Laporta's debts.

I said this before even reading the post...now it's evident that it is exactly what he is trying to do. Cheap' date=' just cheap...[/quote']

Would you rather have your club in debt or 10 letters in a shirt to save that?

Ridiculous.

Would you rather have your club in debt or 10 letters in a shirt to save that?

Ridiculous.

Sometimes the principles are more valuable than the money. History shouldn't be bought in such a cheap manner. There is nothing that can be done to keep Rossell from executing whatever plans he has in his head for the club but the least he could do is respect it's heritage and introduce these changes in phases. He only waited for three months so that people won't forget what he campaigned for to get to the president position.

And it's not ridiculous, it's an opinion, just like you have your own simple idea of what the sponsorship meant. My opinion is based on knowledge and affection for the club I have been supporting for the past 10 years. You might want to be respectful to what other people have to say instead of acting like a know-it-all superficial person.

Sometimes the principles are more valuable than the money. History shouldn't be bought in such a cheap manner. There is nothing that can be done to keep Rossell from executing whatever plans he has in his head for the club but the least he could do is respect it's heritage and introduce these changes in phases. He only waited for three months so that people won't forget what he campaigned for to get to the president position.

And it's not ridiculous' date=' it's an opinion, just like you have your own simple idea of what the sponsorship meant. My opinion is based on knowledge and affection for the club I have been supporting for the past 10 years. You might want to be respectful to what other people have to say instead of acting like a know-it-all superficial person.[/quote']

First, sorry if I sounded rude, was not my intention.

Well, when you are in debt you have to swallow your pride (history) and try to make as much money as possible. Laporta was not worried about all the financial stuff and Rosell thinks that's the only solution.

If you prefer to be financially screwed just because you want to stick with your history, you'd be very selfish

The Qatar Foundation isn't the normal kind of sponsor that clubs go for. I am not pretending to have taken any great interest in them until now but I had look on the internet and this is the description of the Qatar Foundation on Wikipedia:

Qatar Foundation is a private, chartered, non-profit organization in the state of Qatar, Founded in 1995 by decree of His Highness Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, Emir of Qatar. Qatar Foundation focuses on education, scientific research and community development. Under Qatar Foundation’s umbrella are Education City which has universities, academic and training programs, and Qatar Science & Technology Park which has more than 21 companies involved in scientific research and development. Chaired by Her Highness Sheikha Mozah bint Nasser Al Missned, Qatar Foundation aims to enhance lives through community development initiatives including Doha Debates, Reach out To Asia and Al Jazeera Children's Channel. Joint venture partnerships in the areas of design, ICT, telecommunications, policy studies and event management contribute to fulfilling the objectives of the Qatar Foundation.

I think Barcelona have done well to get such a lucrative deal and still be linked with a good organization. They are also keeping the Unicef logo on the shirt (it will take priority over the Qatar Foundation logo) so they haven't bailed out altogether. Anyone bashing Barcelona for this is silly because it is a credit to them for keeping with not having a sponsor on the shirt for so long in a game that is now dictated by money.

If it is as big as the reports have been claming, then I see no problems with this. Not only do Barca get the biggest sponsorship deal in the history of football, but they get financial back-up aswell. The years after the ''Dream Team v.01'', Barca were in a both financial mess and a mess on the pitch (Van Gaal's era). Both Man U and Real Madrid were bigger club at that time - they had massive sponsorship incomes, which Barca haven't. Under Laporta's era smart deals made it possible to compete with the top teams and whilst he said that ''the finanical bit is no problem now'', it was all a lie, I suppose. What I'm trying to say is that football develops, you've got ''sacrifise'' a bit to make it to the top (in Barca's case, accept a sponsorship deal). They are without a doubt the best team on the pitch, but outside of the pitch - can they compete with Real Madrid or Man U, for instance, at the moment? No. It will take some years before they can do, but as football develops and the fact that they are in a financial mess currently (couldn't even pay the wages during the summer, for instance), this is always a good start.

If it is as big as the reports have been claming' date=' then I see no problems with this. Not only do Barca get the biggest sponsorship deal in the history of football, but they get financial back-up aswell. The years after the ''Dream Team v.01'', Barca were in a both financial mess and a mess on the pitch (Van Gaal's era). Both Man U and Real Madrid were bigger club at that time - they had massive sponsorship incomes, which Barca haven't. Under Laporta's era smart deals made it possible to compete with the top teams and whilst he said that ''the finanical bit is no problem now'', it was all a lie, I suppose. What I'm trying to say is that football develops, you've got ''sacrifise'' a bit to make it to the top (in Barca's case, accept a sponsorship deal). They are without a doubt the best team on the pitch, but outside of the pitch - can they compete with Real Madrid or Man U, for instance, at the moment? No. It will take some years before they can do, but as football develops and the fact that they are in a financial mess currently (couldn't even pay the wages during the summer, for instance), this is always a good start.[/quote']

I am with you on the concept of sacrificing but only if it was necessary. What most people don't seem to know is that Barcelona have hit a rough patch last Summer due to the amortization on many pending issues such as player transfers (Henry to MLS, Chygrynskiy back to Shakhtar and Baena to Espanyol), legal disputes for television rights (Mediapro) and the sale of land owned by Barca.

I don't want to get into too many details but when they did the audit at the end of the financial year of 2009/2010, Deloitte failed to take such factors into account thus the "debt" was inflated and caused unrealistic unrest due to lack of liquidity and immediate funds. This is why I am against Rosell introducing this business deal so early on the season and not waiting until some of the cash flow returns to the Camp Nou through trade creditors, accruals and provisions.

The net debt by the club was reported to be 442 million Euros but even by UEFA standards that is not the correct figure "net debt doesn't include trade or other payables". As Rosell wanted to inflate the debt rate, as it was part of him taking charge of the Barcelona, you can deflate that number to a measly 20 million Euros under UK accounting practice. In reality, the real debt is somewhere in between those figures, which in today's game isn't a huge worry...

This is only the first trick under Rosell's sleeves. Many more "business ideas" will come to show his true identity but I hope the board does right by the club and stop him. Barcelona is more than a club...

This is only the first trick under Rosell's sleeves. Many more "business ideas" will come to show his true identity but I hope the board does right by the club and stop him. Barcelona is more than a club...

I agree to 100%. Rosell isn't the man who should lead Barca, in my opinion. The first thing he did as a president at Barca was to strip of Cruyff's honour as a ''honouary president'' at Barca, which, of course, lead to a bit of an intern war inside the boards room, as Cruyff always has been apperciated. I mean, I know the bands between Laporta and Rosell (Rosell was the vice-president at Barca under Laporta's first year as a president, but later on, Laporta and him walked seperate ways) and how it has faired. Rosell pratically wants to destroy and take away everything Laporta has/tried to build. This thing with Cruyff is personal, I reckon, and I hope Rosell doesn't try to do what I wrote above.

I agree to 100%. Rosell isn't the man who should lead Barca' date=' in my opinion. The first thing he did as a president at Barca was to strip of Cruyff's honour as a ''honouary president'' at Barca, which, of course, lead to a bit of an intern war inside the boards room, as Cruyff always has been apperciated. I mean, I know the bands between Laporta and Rosell (Rosell was the vice-president at Barca under Laporta's first year as a president, but later on, Laporta and him walked seperate ways) and how it has faired. Rosell pratically wants to destroy and take away everything Laporta has/tried to build. This thing with Cruyff is personal, I reckon, and I hope Rosell doesn't try to do what I wrote above.[/quote']

Since 2003 to 2010, Laporta was able to triple Barca's revenue's (currently the highest in the world). He held on to Ronaldinho (who ironically Rosell brought to the Nou Camp when he failed to land Beckham) when he was reportedly offered 100 million dollars for him by Chelsea. The youth system at Barcelona is said to be one of the best in the world (if not the best) and it happened during Laporta's era as president which is saying something.

Laporta left Barcelona with no significant debt (as explained earlier and there is more proof of this if necessary), arguably the best squad including at least 3 of the best 5 players in the world, and a solid youth system to feed the first team - for some positions and not all which is why Barca conservativley purchase fewer players than most clubs.

• 2 years later...