The Official Leeds United FC

Re: The Official Leeds United FC

Your sure right about Weatherall's goal.

It would be good to see your list of 12 ' date=' Will post my top 12 after this weekend is over[/quote']

Got a lengthy train ride tomorrow, so will write up little reports on them and why I love them so much. Only had a season ticket since 93/94 mind, and my memory wasn't in full working order throughout that time anyway, so you'll have to forgive me for leaving out all the classics. Wish I'd been around in them days though, I hear all of the stories all the time, I know the stories well enough to recount myself now! Doesn't make up for missing a great era though :(

Look forward to yours also, see if you agree with my dad :P

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: The Official Leeds United FC I counted wrong, there's actually 14. They are mainly within a 3 year range, because, no matter how it sounds, football is always better when you are winning. I enjoy

Re: The Official Leeds United FC Why are they here in the 1st place? Maybe because from day 1 we have been the biggest footballing nation in europe' date=' and understandably players from the top ec

I counted wrong, there's actually 14. They are mainly within a 3 year range, because, no matter how it sounds, football is always better when you are winning. I enjoyed the ups more than I am enjoying the downs, but it's Leeds through and through for me. Some cracking games, in which I was in attendance, aren't here simply because I can't remember enough of them. Examples being Yeboah's screamer vs Liverpool, and a 3-1 victory over the scum. Anyway, here's my 14 most memorable matches, some weren't epic games, some were truly awesome, but they are all etched in my memory for the rest of my days for reasons I will explain. Enjoy!

14). 0-3 vs Villa, Wembley

I will get one of only 2 defeats in the list out of the way! My first ever trip to Wembley, the home of football, walking Wembley way. Words can't describe the experience, even if it was only the League Cup final. This place isn't even standing any more, which to me makes in an invaluable experience. We lost on the day, got hammered in fact, but we don't remember that bit. I have been since, to watch England, but that doesn't compare to "my" Leeds. I have also been to the two play off finals, at the Millennium Stadium and at the new Wembley, both of which were great, aside from the losses, but to me they just don't compare.

13). 5-0 vs Derby, Pride Park

97/98 was my first away season, and this, along with the Blackburn match, stand out as great games and atmospheres. Going away, the crowd is always better, but when you are playing like this, it's truly awesome. The home leg from earlier in the season also features in this post, and I remember the Derby end got some serious grief about that match! Bowyer, Kewell and Hasselbaink all got goals, and they were firm fans favourites at the time. This season was the start of the most recent group of super Leeds, and I will always remember this match as a turning point.

12). 3-1 vs Chelsea, Elland Road

Any Leeds follower will remember the Jimmy screamer in this match. I remember it because of the thump in the back of the head I got from the guy sat behind me in the Kop, who got a little over excited. The famous Chelsea chant echoed around Elland Road for a lot of this game, shoot the Chelsea scum! I seem to remember the ref had a shocker also, but his name escapes me. This game is here simply because of the strike, but all in all it was a great goal in a great game, which ended in a great result for us.

11). 6-0 vs Besiktas, Elland Road

The result says it all, I could go on about the atmosphere, the performance, the ecstasy, but you will have heard it before, and no doubt later on also! I think this is the best I have ever seen Lee Bowyer play, he was absolute class, much similar to the rest of the team.

10). 2-2 vs Galatasaray, Elland Road

This was by far the most moving game I have ever been to. I read a report on by a fan on the crowd, and it says it all, and much better than I could say it. "It was an amazing night last night. We were all united. How terrible that it took such a tragedy to do it. The noise at times made a scum game seem quiet. I thought it was a lovely gesture that many of the players threw their shirts into the crowd rather than have to swop them. If anything good comes out of this then it must be that we as fans have really learnt how to get behind the team in adversity, not just when we are winning (a thing we have always been bad at). The air crash made us realise how much we really did care about the payers as people and that their lives were more important that any game. I think the Turkish deaths have made the players realise the same about the fans, and the emotion that caused was almost tangible last night. The whole ground sang the whole lot of Marching on together before the game, and it was deafening. The whole ground (yes, the West Stand as well) 'stood up if you hate Turkey', it might sound a petty and vindictive thing to do, if you weren't there. But I think it was the only way of expressing our anger and pain, and believe me, for those of us there it was unbelievably impressive."

9). 4-3 vs Derby, Elland Road

3 nil, and you *'ed it up! Will never forget that chant. This comeback is the best I have seen, but as soon as we grabbed our first it seemed inevitable. One of them games that you arrive home and think how lucky you were to have witnessed it.

8). 1-4 vs Bolton, Reebock

The day we went down. The headlines read "Defiant in defeat", and so true they were. Was a hurt that I have never experienced before, and seeing big grown men crying was really quite surreal. The crowd were amazing, simple as that. Going down, but we'll be back.

7). 4-3 vs Liverpool, Elland Road

Viduka vs Liverpool! I watch this game on ESPN all the time, still makes my hair stand on end. The fact that the winner was offside makes it all the more brilliant in my mind. Felt sure good to beat the scouse, and in such great circumstances.

6). 3-3 vs Charlton, Elland Road

Our last home game of the Premiership. Pitch invasion, Smithy held aloft, I only remember the aftermath, none of the 6 goals. Was a sad, sad day, but I will never forget it.

5). 1-1 vs Milan, San Siro

This was some experience. The stadium is purely breathtaking. I never got to the Nou Camp, but I can't imagine how it could beat this place. What made it all the more special, was the point we took from the game. A famous chant was born on this day, and it is still heard around the kop from time to time, oh Matteo!

4). 1-0 vs Milan, Elland Road

The home leg! What a feeling to beat one of the giants of the footballing world. People talk about European nights at Anfield, but I honestly fail to see how they could beat nights like this. Most of the Kop were around the last time we played this corrupt lot, and you couldn't half tell. The rain made it even more feisty, and Bowyer made dreams come true. I miss these night so much.

3). 3-0 vs Deportivo, Elland Road

I remember the crowd were pretty angry at Deportivo for some reason, but can't remember why. Either way, we taught them some serious manners. This was a CL quarter final, and minnows Leeds tore the spanish champions apart. I don't need to explain the euphoria around the place, I'm not sure I even can if I'm honest.

2). 1-0 vs Scum, Elland Road

Along with David Wetherall's header came another punch to the back of the head. How I miss those punches! We don't beat Man U often, but for some reason this one felt all the more special. It was quite a while ago, and all I remember is the goal, but I will never forget how it feels to beat them lot.

1). 1-0 vs Roma, Elland Road

I don't know why this is my favourite, but I've come to the conclusion that it is! Harry Kewell got the goal that took us through, and my hero Lucas had an absolute belter. But they best thing about it was the crowd. The Mexican waves were out, and two chants lasted the whole evening. Champions of Europe, and lets go _ mental, it was al pretty mental. What happened after this match is one of the darkest times in the history of Leeds United, but for these 2 hours, there was no where on earth I would rather have been.

Some great one's Tom.

It wont let me rep you :confused: I cant ever remember you doing a good post before but i must have given you rep for something :P

Don't gimme that, you love my posts!!

I think you repped me for that argument vs Luicci, but that was time ago! Stingy __ :P

I think I spelt Reebok wrong, pressed the wrong key through the tears in my eyes :o

Yep got one ' date=' South stand lower.

Again great 1st half not so good 2nd.

Always good to see the goal scored at the south stand end but how did we win without Beckford :P[/quote']

Errgghhhh South Stand :P

I know, Beckford is so solid at the back, and somehow controls the midfield, and then finishes the move off. I don't know how a small club like ourselves has managed to hold onto him tbh.

:rolleyes:

Can anyone tell me something about Sam Jerome? Cam Jerome's brother' date=' is he better then Cameron?. Also R.I.P to those fans i remember hearing about it a while ago.[/quote']

He's joint top goalscorer for the under 18 with 6 goals from 17 games , Also played 1 game for the reserves .

Only seen him play once and that was only for about 15 mins in the Youth cup .

i dont get 2 c leeds games cause im not in the uk. only premier league s on tv but thats on pay tv. so i havent bin able watch a match since we got relegated from the epl. :(

and youtube doesnt giv u gr8 idea how the team is playin

i only read match reports :(

can u tell me how the team plays and stuff?

Get in! What a result! :D Play-offs all but guaranteed. :D

When we chose this game we thought that by then our season would be over and there'd be nothing to play for, turns out that it was a must win to secure a play-off spot, with defeat resulting in Tranmere pulling level.

Sat in the South Stand, right behind the goal. Beckford's finish was classy and Kilkenny's was pure class from a very tight angle.

Well worth the 8 hour trip. :D

Get in! What a result! :D Play-offs all but guaranteed. :D

When we chose this game we thought that by then our season would be over and there'd be nothing to play for' date=' turns out that it was a must win to secure a play-off spot, with defeat resulting in Tranmere pulling level.

Sat in the South Stand, right behind the goal. Beckford's finish was classy and Kilkenny's was pure class from a very tight angle.

Well worth the 8 hour trip. :D[/quote']

Not far from me, always sit in FA2.

Sill miss the mental pen in the lowfields , Now those Were the Days :D

Guest Mr. Razzcocks

Since I go to every Hartlepool home game, it is pretty obvious that I will be there at the match. Are any of you guys making the trip north to face us on Saturday ?

It'll be a good match, with Hartlepool trying to finally secure safety, while you fellas will be trying to continue your excellent form.

Anybody going ?

Play-off spot mathematically secured after Shorpe slip up to Northampton.

Will be interesting to see if Grayson continues to play a stronger side to try and get that 3rd/4th spot or if he rests some players ahead of the Play-offs.

Hen, tbh I think you're safe already. Chances are, two of Carlisle, Crewe and Northampton will slip-up in one of their last 2/3 games. Swindon are in a similar position (one point behind), and all they have to do is equal two of the above three's result to secure safety (although with a massive derby match and Peterborough to play, they're relying heavily on those three to slip up). Really hoping Leeds can beat Northampton in the final game.

Guest Mr. Razzcocks

Very poor game between Hartlepool and Leeds. Neither side created many chances, with Bradley Johnson coming the closest with a thunderbolt free-kick rattling the Hartlepool crossbar. Sam Sodje came very close as well, if I remember correctly.

To be fair, Hartlepool never had any clear-cut chances either. Daniel Nardiello should have scored, but he was insistent on trying to skin every Leeds defender. Antony Sweeney could have got the equaliser had he been more composed in front of goal.

Jermaine Beckford didn't really trouble our defence, apart from a goal-line clearance. I remember he tried to be clever at one point by doing a back heel but it failed miserable and he fell over, much to the delight of the home fans.

Your supporters were attracting the attention of the local police force with the jumping on the pitch. A smash to the head with a truncheon seemed to calm them down. :)

In the second half, Gary Liddle had a fantastic opportunity but he smashed the ball high over the crossbar. There was very little between the teams at that point, so it was a real sucker punch when Beckford got a fluky goal. Jan Budtz got a poor view of Beckford's shot, and the ball trickled in past him.

After that, there were very few chances. Sweeney had a great chance, but scuffed the shot.

Judging from that performance, I can't see how you guys are in the play-offs. It might have been an off-day, but you won't get promoted playing like that. Hartlepool played poor as well, and I'm glad we got enough points under Danny Wilson for us to be safe from relegation.

Choosing a man of the match is very hard with no players really standing out. I have to choose one, and the 'award' goes to Jonny Howson, who played quite well despite playing very dirty.

According to the SSN reporter, Leeds were on top all game and the goal was well deserved, with Leeds having already hit the woodwork twice and having a shot cleared off the line.

Not going against what you said as all I have seen is the goal, but that's what the neutral reporter said who was at the match..

And baring in mind that we have nothing to play for, with a play-off spot secured and the likes of Delph suspended and Snodgrass rested, I'm not all surprised that we didn't perform to our best..

• 2 weeks later...

Never made it up in time for the train to Leeds for the pubs :(

Anyway, Beckford, typically lazy. Gets on my nerves does the lad. If he had Becchio's work rate he'd be twice the player.

Great noise from the fans.

Dom Matteoooooo, Scored a ....ing great gooooooooaallll, In the San Sirooooooooooo, In the San Sirooooo

:D