The Great British League - discussion thread

Machine

Hi all,

Have had a couple of custom gameworlds spare for ages now and have had an idea that may fall flat on it’s face but think it’s worth giving a go, and looking to start it up in the New Year.

This will be a 4 division British league, but with a couple of twists…..

Firstly, ALL D1, D2, & D3 clubs will be unmanaged and will not be offered out so please don’t spam the thread by asking for Man U, Chelsea, Rangers etc as the only teams I’m looking for folk to manage are the 20 teams detailed below.

Secondly, due to the Armageddon-esque storyline of swathes of clubs having gone bust (see applicant note no.1) there will be a BIG gap in quality between D3 and D4 so if you get promoted chances are you’ll go straight back down (part of the challenge!).

The 20 teams below are listed from top to bottom below roughly in order of how hard it will be to achieve success, so choose wisely – for example East Fife may look attractive with a £2m squad value but remember that ultimately they have a very small stadium and the books need to be balanced (it’ll be a brave soul who takes on any of the top 5 teams!).

THE CHALLENGE: to try and be successful with the odds stacked against you – poor economy, 19 other managers competing for signing targets, getting hammered off the big teams in the Cup/ Shield, no Europe, small stadiums, very little money, plus the prospect of getting battered every week if you do manage to get promoted.

Clearly in this type of gameworld it’ll be very easy to fall into debt and have no money so if you need to be constantly buying and selling to keep your interest then this isn’t for you; it’s really for those who enjoy the tactical side or who enjoy working with lower league players they follow in real life.

Anyway if you’ve read all that and are still interested then have a look at the ad and let me know if you want in – I can’t promise it’ll be first come first served but obviously if you’ve supported the idea from the start then that’ll be taken into consideration.

Cheers!

MANAGERS WANTED!!!

MANAGERS WANTED FOR 19 POSITIONS AT LOCALLY RENOWNED CLUBS TO PARTICIPATE IN DIVISION 4 OF THE INAUGURAL GREAT BRITAIN LEAGUE – MUST BE:

• COMMITTED

• BRAVE

• FINANCIALLY PRUDENT

• KNOWLEDGE OF UK LOWER LEAGUES ADVANTAGEOUS

• ABLE TO WORK ALONGSIDE CHAIRMAN

PACKAGE INCLUDES:

• COMPETITIVE TRANSFER KITTY*

• FULL USE OF GATE RECEIPTS**

• EXPECTATION OF PROMOTION***

* although probably none most of the time to be honest

** club will probably run at a loss

*** subsequent relegation almost inevitable

Applications are now being accepted for the following clubs:

Prestatyn Town: 1000 (ground capacity) - £190,000 (squad value)

Bangor: 1500 - £170,000

The New Saints: 2000 - £210,000

Airbus: 2100 - £190,000

Montrose : 3292 - £180,000

Albion Rovers: 1249 - £1,580,000

Annan: 3500 - £200,000

East Fife: 2000 - £2,150,000

Dumbarton: 2025 - £1,440,000

Fleetwood: 3663 - £240,000

Tamworth: 4065 - £190,000

Alloa: 3100 - £1,680,000

Llanelli: 3700 - £640,000

Histon: 3800 - £390,000

Newport: 4300 - £230,000

Stenhousemuir: 3776 - £710,000

East Stirling: 3776 - £1,010,000

Ebbsfleet: 5011 - £190,000

Barrow AFC: 4414 - £430,000

Hayes: 4730 - £600,000

Notes for applicants:

1) After the meteor shower of late 2010 that destroyed 97% of Earth’s satellites and led to the collapse of Sky Television and the subsequent financial meltdown of British football, the surviving clubs banded together to form Divisions 1, 2, & 3 of a new Great Britain league, to be overseen by the newly formed Great Britain Football Association (the GBFA)

2) The GBFA decided to invite 20 small clubs (so small that they were not reliant on Sky money and so were unaffected by the collapse) to form a 4th tier in the hope that the clubs will grow and become valuable members of the GBFA

3) To protect the fragile finances of the D4 clubs in these poor economical times they will not be permitted to loan or buy players from D1, 2, & 3 clubs

4) The GBFA will monitor the transfer dealings of D4 clubs and will block any attempt to bring in players earning over a particular weekly salary

5) Whilst the GBFA will not limit the squad size of D4 clubs, applicants are asked to make the ongoing financial stability of their club the top priority at all times

6) Where a club has fewer than 21 players the GBFA will randomly allocate players to clubs to bring the playing staff up to the required level of 21. The GBFA will not enter into any communication over the perceived quality or lack thereof of the player(s) allocated

7) The closing date for applications is Wednesday 5th January 2011

Re: The GREAT BRITISH LEAGUE application thread!

Applications are now being accepted for the following clubs:

Prestatyn Town: 1000 (ground capacity) - £190,000 (squad value)

Bangor: 1500 - £170,000

The New Saints: 2000 - £210,000

Airbus: 2100 - £190,000

Montrose : 3292 - £180,000

Albion Rovers: 1249 - £1,580,000

Annan: 3500 - £200,000

East Fife: 2000 - £2,150,000

Dumbarton: 2025 - £1,440,000

Fleetwood: 3663 - £240,000

Tamworth: 4065 - £190,000

Alloa: 3100 - £1,680,000

Llanelli: 3700 - £640,000

Histon: 3800 - £390,000

Newport: 4300 - £230,000

Stenhousemuir: 3776 - £710,000

East Stirling: 3776 - £1,010,000

Ebbsfleet: 5011 - £190,000

Barrow AFC: 4414 - £430,000

Hayes: 4730 - £600,000

I would love to take East Fife could be a lot of fun.!

nice challenge which I would like to participate in as it's a custom the setup might need advertising around the forum so if u want i could help u with that also if ur letting us choose our teams i would like Alloa as that's only team I know of.

nice challenge which I would like to participate in as it's a custom the setup might need advertising around the forum so if u want i could help u with that also if ur letting us choose our teams i would like Alloa as that's only team I know of.

Sure just feel free to mention it to whoever i'm certainly going to advertise it on the threads of a few gameworlds i'm in.

Thanks for the interest shown so far guys, i'm looking forward to it already!

Still looking for a few more for this, especially looking for folk who'll be able to contribute to the thread from time to time :)

I'll update later with everyone who has registered interest as some folk have said they'd be interested via PM and in-game rather than on here.

Count me in - Sky Bust???? Deffo mate.

I'll take Mick Fleetwood please - like a moonlight shadow.

Okay so i'll admit the premise and back-story for this gameworld is of dubious quality :o but hey - a paper-thin plot doesn't mean something can't still be a blockbuster! :D

Just look at, er, Armageddon, and, er....The Day After Tomorrow.... and other such cinematic masterpieces ;)