The Great British League - discussion thread

Re: The Great British League - discussion thread

Ahh man, such a shame. Your right Dom, loved it in here for a while and I wish I had never left Fleetwood to be honest but at the time I had little choice.

here's the question tho.

Will a new GBL start, like a phoenix from the flames?

GBL:THE RETURN

20 New Managers - 20 New Teams

SAME CHALLENGE

Just a thought like.....;)

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: The Great British League - discussion thread http://www.scribd.com/doc/100166609 100 best players in the G.B.L You can click on the players name and it will take you to his profile on soccer m

Re: The Great British League - discussion thread Been a while since I've done one of these so thought I'd post for anyone curious. Some quality achievement across the piece in fairness against the op

Re: The GREAT BRITISH LEAGUE application thread! I'd be up for it, sounds fun.

Just passing through but wanted to check-in and re-affirm my commitment to keep Bangor going as long as there is a GW here. :)

No longer use the forum or partake in anything other than the GBL and 1 GC that will go when my GM expires in a few months.

Doubt i'll win the title this year as I've slipped to 13 points off the pace.

Ahh man' date=' such a shame. Your right Dom, loved it in here for a while and I wish I had never left Fleetwood to be honest but at the time I had little choice.

here's the question tho.

Will a new GBL start, like a phoenix from the flames?

[center']GBL:THE RETURN

20 New Managers - 20 New Teams

SAME CHALLENGE[/center]

Just a thought like.....;)

Hi Ed, think there will be a GBL v2 but maybe with a European or World theme to up the difficulty ;)

Until then if you fancy steering Fleetwood clear of relegation they've still got a good squad so you could view it as a short term challenge and then see how you feel at the end of the season...?

I've hardly posted anywhere on the forum in recent times but I have finally finished my studies so should have more time now, have a few ideas for some GBL posts - maybe give the old girl an Indian Summer in her twilight years/months!

• 5 months later...

It's a pity I left SM but this was one setup I really liked and filled with some great people!

If your doing a GBL 2.0 count me in.

How are Ebbsfleet doing btw?

Sorry about the, er, delayed reply but only just saw this as I was updating end of season :o

Ebbsfleet survived in D1, finishing 16th :)

Stenhousemuir on the other hand finished an amazing 5th in our first season in the top flight! :D

Finished only 9 points off 1st place and with a better goal difference so plenty hope for next season.

Just the 4 survivors left now - what a stubborn bunch we are! ;):P

glad to see some of you still at it - how's my old Dumbarton doing?

Dumbarton finished just below me in 6th, if it wasn't for a defeat to them in the run-in I'd be in Champs League :mad::P

Verratti is still pulling the strings; 8 assists and top scorer with 14 goals

• 8 months later...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-mW09jtSdpU-Yg5hE1xFdOMVJKKUgCaRbLLghG1BuRWL8j5DnDQ

Well the old GBL is finally coming to a close now that I'm on my own :o:P

The end of season 11 will see the end of the GBL; truth be told it's prime was seasons 1 - 6ish but there were a hardy few who stuck it out and completed season 10 :)

If you'd told me waaaay back in January 2011 that we'd get 4 years and 10 seasons from the GBL I'd have been very happy with that, so once again huge thanks to all who participated down the years! :D

I've had the feeling that I should mark the passing somehow, so what I'm thinking of doing over the next few weeks is a 'top 20' countdown :eek: where I'll review the success of each of the original 20 teams, from least successful through to the number 1 most successful team in the history of the GBL.

Points will be awarded for the various successes a club might have achieved, i.e. runner-up in the D4 play-offs will only be worth 1 GBL point whereas finishing as D1 runner-up would be worth 15 points.

Along the way I'll be looking at the club records and manager histories for each team; we can laugh at some of the crushing record defeats from the early days playing your 71-rated cup team against Chelsea, and get all misty-eyed for those SM friends who are no longer active and much missed :(

Who knows, perhaps all of the nostalgia might get the old juices flowing to the point where we potentially possibly at some point down the line if the stars align might consider the mythical GBL v2.......;):)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-mW09jtSdpU-Yg5hE1xFdOMVJKKUgCaRbLLghG1BuRWL8j5DnDQ

Well the old GBL is finally coming to a close now that I'm on my own :o:P

The end of season 11 will see the end of the GBL; truth be told it's prime was seasons 1 - 6ish but there were a hardy few who stuck it out and completed season 10 :)

If you'd told me waaaay back in January 2011 that we'd get 4 years and 10 seasons from the GBL I'd have been very happy with that' date=' so once again huge thanks to all who participated down the years! :D

I've had the feeling that I should mark the passing somehow, so what I'm thinking of doing over the next few weeks is a 'top 20' countdown :eek: where I'll review the success of each of the original 20 teams, from least successful through to the number 1 most successful team in the history of the GBL.

Points will be awarded for the various successes a club might have achieved, i.e. runner-up in the D4 play-offs will only be worth 1 GBL point whereas finishing as D1 runner-up would be worth 15 points.

Along the way I'll be looking at the club records and manager histories for each team; we can laugh at some of the crushing record defeats from the early days playing your 71-rated cup team against Chelsea, and get all misty-eyed for those SM friends who are no longer active and much missed :(

Who knows, perhaps all of the nostalgia might get the old juices flowing to the point where we potentially possibly at some point down the line if the stars align might consider the mythical GBL v2.......;):)[/size']

I loved this set-up kudos for creating and maintaining it for so long, some fine memories & banter from here.

top_20_countdown-430x250.jpg

Here we go with your official end of gameworld top 20 countdown!

In the beginning the GBL's D4 (4 divisions being the maximum available in customs at the time) was populated by 20 managed teams of dubious quality, who had to compete against the big guns of the top 3 divisions, in a poor economy, with no buying from unmanaged, oh and with a rating cap of no buying anyone rated over 80 :eek:

This was a tough job, and not every club managed to cover itself in glory :o

For this countdown I have allocated points as follows:

16 - win D1

15 - runner-up D1

14 - win Charity Shield

14 - win League Cup

14 - win League Shield

12 - win D2

11 - runner-up D2

10 - D2 play-off winner

08 - D3 winner

07 - D3 runner-up

07 - Charity Shield runner-up

07 - League Cup runner-up

07 - League Shield runner-up

06 - D3 play-off winner

04 - D4 winner

03 - D4 runner-up

02 - D4 play-off winner

In the event 2 or more clubs had the same number of GBL points, I then looked at any play-off runner-up spots achieved, most games unbeaten/ won in a row and highest league position finish.

Finally, the club's entire history has been taken into account including periods where a club was unmanaged - this is to reflect the fact that even after a manager left then the players they signed would still be there so there would be an ongoing effect.

So, without further ado......

metal-number-20_249x216.png

Thenewsaints.png

THE NEW SAINTS: GBL points = 0

mf617Aa.jpg?2PSMDAYu.jpg?2

Poor old TNS; in a gameworld where the objective was to be the first to win D1 they never got beyond the dizzying heights of....10th in D4 :(:o

This wasn't so much a case of bad management, more that they went unloved for much of the GBL's history with no one manager sticking around too long.

Aidan had a good stint in charge but as I recall he was fond of some fairly kamikaze attacking formations, and it perhaps tells you all you need to know that TNS' most successful period was when they were unmanaged.....

Interesting to see as well that Annan under Jooles D were looking strong just a few months into the gameworld (although Andrew Clifford having left Annan just 2 months previously may want to take some of the credit!), spanking TNS 11-1 in what would become the record home defeat for TNS.

NAAM-day-19.jpg

W888Beqk_400x400.png

PRESTATYN TOWN FC: GBL points = 0

NcIFoRv.jpg?2IDDcVHH.jpg?2

It should be said up front that Prestatyn were the weakest side with the weakest finances (no blank squads and equal cash settings available back in January 2011) at the start of the GBL and SOP was a brave man to step up and have a go ;)

Like TNS, Prestatyn's highest ever league finish was also 10th in D4 and the only thing that really separated the two of them was that Prestatyn tended to finish higher in the league than TNS over the 10 seasons I'm including in this review.

SOP would likely also point out that Prestatyn should be ranked higher than TNS as he 'master-minded' Prestatyn's biggest ever away win, crushing poor TNS 5-0.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1XIVUTThyBisIW2h3_VXnoh96WMjdwnLQF2OK4ZIBEL-CjjW4

Airbus_UK_Broughton_F.C.jpg

AIRBUS UK: GBL points = 0

5q1RcBo.jpg?2f22BAIw.jpg?2

The artist formerly known as Longnose helped get the GBL off the ground with his 1-season contract with Airbus but unfortunately the club itself remained firmly grounded in D4 with Airbus never climbing higher than a D4 altitude (all puns intended! :D).

This was despite the arrival of strict disciplinarian Sgt. Fury - he briefly knocked them into a bit of shape with several great signings such as record signing Vaclav Pilar who would eventually be sold on to net the club a whopping £5.7m profit :eek:

Ultimately though this was one war even the Sarge couldn't win and the highest league finish of 4th in D4 that sees Airbus into 18th place was achieved several seasons after his departure.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRh8MZKqfdbX7XG2IpByjYvqXmep9WpaJTind0vzgWMHulRf0Z9w

6227-annan-athletic-4-albion-rovers-1.jpg

ALBION ROVERS FC: GBL points = 1

zFWEYFO.jpg?2Zaj2GwO.jpg?2e12xAzt.jpg?2

Albion Rovers were another tough gig in the GBL but everyone's favourite SM rebel ExiledScot confounded the critics and showed early signs of promise with a record home win of 7-0 against (who else :rolleyes:) TNS, and a 3-1 'giant-killing' of Aberdeen in the cup.

Unfortunately the story goes that as ExiledScot's battles with the SM authorities escalated he was spending more time being hauled up in front of the SMFA than on the training pitch and 'wild man' Belkevitz departed the club after a turbulent 18-month stint in charge.

What Albion Rovers really needed next was stability; a cool head who could really commit to the club and fix the defensive problems that had been their achilles heel.

Fluffy was appointed shortly after :P

After a few weeks of working on the team, Fluffy led them to an extremely narrow record league defeat of 0-10 against the world superstars of, er, Bournemouth :eek:

With the fans out for blood few were surprised when the enigmatic Fluff decided that the delights of Cliftonhill weren't really for him and he departed just 19 days later.

If the early part of 2013 was Albion Rovers' lowest ebb, then the appointment of Mr. Hancock in June 2013 and his 4-month reign would see the club enjoy it's 'golden months', culminating in a D4 play-off final defeat that would be the closest the club ever got to D3 (but is sufficient to see them into 17th place in the GBL countdown).

Slightly less impressive was Mr. Hancock's club record signing of then 76-rated Marian Sarr for a hefty £2.8m.....despite rising +2 since then Sarr was sold at a £600,000 loss in January 2015 after just 53 appearances during which he achieved a dismal 5.98 average performance rating.

GBL TOP 20 TO BE CONTINUED.....

• 7 months later...