The Great British League - discussion thread

Guest 1CapWonder

Re: The GREAT BRITISH LEAGUE application thread!

I have been wholeheartedly convinced to take a club, and believe me, this is not like me as I don't pick up clubs easily anymore, particularly in standard setups! Stewart has managed to pick out some of the best names on the game and the setup looks extremely well run with an owner fully behind it.

I think it will take a lot of work, effort and commitment from all of us to get this going and keep it right. If it's gonna happen, it will take match reports, banter and giving the club attention, care and priority. Away from EC106 I have struggled to care for any other team in a custom setup so I think we all need to pull together and make this a great setup.

If 1 or 2 people leave in the first few seasons, then this will fall apart, so I really hope no one is taking this half heartedly. Looking forward to this a lot, and I would love to take Barrow AFC as my club if they haven't already gone :)

Cheers Stewart!

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: The Great British League - discussion thread http://www.scribd.com/doc/100166609 100 best players in the G.B.L You can click on the players name and it will take you to his profile on soccer m

Re: The Great British League - discussion thread Been a while since I've done one of these so thought I'd post for anyone curious. Some quality achievement across the piece in fairness against the op

Re: The GREAT BRITISH LEAGUE application thread! I'd be up for it, sounds fun.

I have been wholeheartedly convinced to take a club' date=' and believe me, this is not like me as I don't pick up clubs easily anymore, particularly in standard setups! Stewart has managed to pick out some of the best names on the game and the setup looks extremely well run with an owner fully behind it.

I think it will take a lot of work, effort and commitment from all of us to get this going and keep it right. If it's gonna happen, it will take match reports, banter and giving the club attention, care and priority. Away from EC106 I have struggled to care for any other team in a custom setup so I think we all need to pull together and make this a great setup.

If 1 or 2 people leave in the first few seasons, then this will fall apart, so I really hope no one is taking this half heartedly. Looking forward to this a lot, and I would love to take Barrow AFC as my club if they haven't already gone :)

Cheers Stewart![/quote']

Well lets start by removing Miss LLoyds muggins shall we......cant be looking at that sour puss every time you post. ;):D

Thanks to everyone for their interest in this, i've had 24 managers say they'd like a team between this thread and PM so i'm drawing a line just now as i only need 19 (plus myself makes the 20).

As i said in my first post this was never going to be first come first served as i wanted to try and get managers who i felt would stay the course, participate in the gameworld thread/ newspaper, and provide a challenge in the League.

Apologies to the 5 who i can't allocate a team to, hope you understand why for a gameworld like this i have to go with those who i know best :o:)

So....without any further ado here are the 19 and their clubs where they have requested a specific team:

Stifler - Bangor

swanseajack - The New Saints

Longnose - Airbus

ExiledScotInTheUSA - Albion Rovers

Toonfanforlife - Annan

drseanfitz - Dumbarton

EdMoses - Fleetwood

Dale147 - Alloa

KopStar - Llanelli

Lenny59 - Newport

1CapWonder - Barrow

sirmarkhughes - Hayes & Yeading

sonofpluto -

Gozzy -

Villa888 -

HerculePoirot - Ebbsfleet

Steve025 -

Froz3en -

TBrough -

4 of the 6 without a club said they didn't mind who they got while Gozzy and TBrough's 1st choice teams had already been taken.

So if any of the 6 would like to now choose a club the following are the choices available:

Prestatyn Town

Montrose

East Fife

Tamworth

Histon

Stenhousemuir

East Stirling

Special kudos will go to anyone who takes on Prestatyn as they could potentially be the toughest challenge ;)

As for me i'll take whoever is left with the exception of Histon (as i've got a Histon in GC56).

Now that we've got our 20 we can move on to a bit more detail of the rules - some of these can be discussed but some are pretty important so hope they're not deal-breakers for anyone!

No buying from unmanaged - controversial but important because:

1) we will all be familiar with the youth of the bigger British clubs so this is more of a challenge and requires us to either shop abroad or go for players from the lower half of League 1, League 2, Scotland, etc which is arguably more realistic for clubs at this level

2) means when you play a team from D1, D2, or D3 you'll be playing the authentic, current, real-life team

This can be reviewed at the end of Season 1 but would definitely be my preference for kicking things off :)

No buying players rated over 80 - **open to discussion**

A rating cap of 75 was suggested but i think that would be a bit restrictive as by the end of the season some clubs may be in a position to buy in the 75-80 range, and would mean the clubs getting promoted to D3 will really struggle.

We can go lower if people want to but i certainly think no higher than 80 for Season 1 as apart form anything else 80's now get wages of £11k a week :eek:

But all thoughts on this are welcome! :)

Transfer windows - i know that they're not everyone's favourite cup of tea, but i would be generous for Season 1 and make transfers open turns 1-8 & 18 - 32.

This means that the window is only really closed for 5 weeks in the middle of the season and then again for the run-in :)

Other than that, it's normal 3 up 3 down with play-offs, buy any nationality you like, and will prob make the log-in every 21 days though as there are a number of known SM addicts in this i don't see people not logging-in as a problem :D

I think that's everything for this stage, basically just need those without a club to choose a club (or risk me allocating them Prestatyn :P) and for anyone who has any comments on the proposed rules to have their say.

Cheers all!

Special kudos will go to anyone who takes on Prestatyn as they could potentially be the toughest challenge ;)

Possibly without knowing it' date=' sonofpluto has bravely volunteered for the Prestatyn job which is to be applauded.

Well done Si! ;)

The revised line-up is now:

Stifler - Bangor

Longnose - Airbus

Toonfanforlife - Annan

drseanfitz - Dumbarton

EdMoses - Fleetwood

Dale147 - Alloa

KopStar - Llanelli

Lenny59 - East Stirling

1CapWonder - Barrow

sonofpluto - Prestatyn Town

Gozzy - East Fife

Dom Latouche - Histon

Steve025 - Montrose

Froz3en - Newport

Will - Tamworth

Machine - Stenhousemuir

[b']All teams now allocated[/b]

Guest drseanfitz

No buying from unmanaged - controversial but important because:

1) we will all be familiar with the youth of the bigger British clubs so this is more of a challenge and requires us to either shop abroad or go for players from the lower half of League 1' date=' League 2, Scotland, etc which is arguably more realistic for clubs at this level

2) means when you play a team from D1, D2, or D3 you'll be playing the authentic, current, real-life team

This can be reviewed at the end of Season 1 but would definitely be my preference for kicking things off :)

[/quote']

Keep this forever - makes a lot of things interesting if we can't buy certan players, make people think outside the box.

Oh and make sure Southampton are one if the unmanaged team's so that we don't have a 20 team stampede for that lad with the silly name

No buying players rated over 80 - **open to discussion**

A rating cap of 75 was suggested but i think that would be a bit restrictive as by the end of the season some clubs may be in a position to buy in the 75-80 range' date=' and would mean the clubs getting promoted to D3 will really struggle.

We can go lower if people want to but i certainly think no higher than 80 for Season 1 as apart form anything else 80's now get wages of £11k a week :eek:

But all thoughts on this are welcome! :)

[/quote']

I like this, we are all only small teams so won't need higher rated ones really.

I don't like transfer windows, but can live with them if need be

Keep this forever - makes a lot of things interesting if we can't buy certan players' date=' make people think outside the box.

Oh and make sure Southampton are one if the unmanaged team's so that we don't have a 20 team stampede for that lad with the silly name

[/color']

Lol, don't worry Southampton will be unmanaged :)

For clarification, here is how i was planning on constructing Divisions 1 -3:

Division 1 - top 18 of the Premiership at time of creating the gameworld, plus Rangers and Celtic

Division 2 - bottom 2 of the Premiership, top 16 of the Championship, plus Hearts & Dundee United

Division 3 - bottom 8 of the Championship, top 9 of League 1, plus Aberdeen, Hibs, and Kilmarnock

An argument could perhaps be made to say Kilmarnock aren't much better than whoever will be in 10th place in League 1, but when i looked into it they were marginally better and as we're all about making this as tough as poss i went for them.

Apologies to any fans of Welsh or Northern Irish teams but obviously they'd be weaker than Kilmarnock or 10th place in League 1, which is why they've not been included.

Similarly, the reason i couldn't include any Northern Irish teams for us to manage is that the teams were either too good, had too big a stadium, or had fewer than 16 players.

As i understand it SM will allocate players to any of the teams with fewer than 21 but there's no way of knowing how good or bad the allocated players will be, so by having a minimum squad criteria of 16 then we all pretty much know what we're dealing with :)

As i understand it SM will allocate players to any of the teams with fewer than 21 but there's no way of knowing how good or bad the allocated players will be' date=' so by having a minimum squad criteria of 16 then we all pretty much know what we're dealing with :)[/quote']

Yeah usually rated 60 and from Malta.....For some strange reason;)

BTW I agree with Fitzy & Izzy

Yeah usually rated 60 and from Malta.....For some strange reason;)

BTW I agree with Fitzy & Izzy

Lol at least they won't cost a lot in wages :D

Happy with the response, i too would be inclined to always keep it no buying from unmanaged - i just thought i'd better make it sound as if i was open to negotiation in case you all thought i was some kind of tyrant :P

Possibly without knowing it' date=' sonofpluto has bravely volunteered for the Prestatyn job which is to be applauded.

Well done Si! ;)

The revised line-up is now:

Stifler - Bangor

Longnose - Airbus

Toonfanforlife - Annan

drseanfitz - Dumbarton

EdMoses - Fleetwood

Dale147 - Alloa

KopStar - Llanelli

Lenny59 - East Stirling

1CapWonder - Barrow

sonofpluto - Prestatyn Town

Gozzy -

Villa888 -

Steve025 -

Froz3en -

TBrough -

Which means the 6 teams left for the Managers to choose are:

[b']Montrose

East Fife

Tamworth

Histon

Stenhousemuir

Newport[/b]

I will take Newport then :)

AH BUGGER!!! Can you let me know if there is any openings would of stated my intrest earlier if i seen the thread!! And just for the record Andrew (villa888) Isnt a forumer anymore... Thanks machine!

I didn't think he was one I had to check up on but I see now he's not been on since last year.

Don't doubt your information Dom but in the absence of any farewell post i'm inclined to give him a bit more time before pulling the plug in case he has a change of heart.

I'll certainly pop you on the list though and depending on what happens I might be in touch sooner rather than later :)

In other news; I reckon i'm going to manage the mighty Warriors of Stenhousemuir so that just leaves three managers to select a team.

only just spotted this thread..

currently looking to get into good forum based challenges and this sounds rite up my street..

i know im late on the ball and the date is passed but if i could be cheeky and say if no 1 wants to take histon ill gladly have them..

or any other team 4 that matter as a reserve but ideally would like involvement from the off if possible! :) ..

email is..

rackydj@hotmail.com .. if im accepted for the job offer :) .. cheers..

How are we doing with this one Stewart ?...no rush of course its just I'm eager for the misery to begin :(

Not far off now Dave, Dom is now in for the vanished Villa888 so we've got 19 who should be solid.

TBrough hasn't been on since the 5th though which is nae use so he may need replaced...basically we're just one experienced, reliable, trust-worthy forumer (who can commit to staying until at least the end of the 1st season) away from getting this show on the road....... :)

I would be available if needed, i would like to think i am trustworthy and am in many of the good forumer filled leagues, albeit still finding my feet in many.

I really like the concept of this, so would defiantely stay.

I was going to post to join up before, but was too late and saw you had already picked the 20 managers, so didn't feel i should declare any interest then.

But i would really enjoy the challenge if i was allowed in :)

Not far off now Dave' date=' Dom is now in for the vanished Villa888 so we've got 19 who should be solid.

TBrough hasn't been on since the 5th though which is nae use so he may need replaced...basically we're just one experienced, reliable, trust-worthy forumer (who can commit to staying until at least the end of the 1st season) away from getting this show on the road....... :)[/quote']

Thank you mate , im very good at these sorts of challenges with sucessfull teams in wastelands , trenches and the veneratio which are big forum setups with similar challenges!!