Benoît ASSOU-EKOTTO will he rise ?

desh

Re: Benoît ASSOU-EKOTTO will he rise ?

i'm sorry guys. i just think i am angry because i've always felt Tottenham have been weak at the full back positions, i'm 29 and i cant remember a good full back playing for Spurs. I don't get to see Tottenham that much but i guess i am biased due to watching the Inter Milan first leg. Does anyone know if Bale can defend ?i remember the spell when Tottenham hadn't won in his first 9 games and now he's not usually far back enough to defend. I'd play Bale at fullback and Van der Vaart on the left. But again noone on the right. I do rate Coluka but i think he's missed most of the season through injury. Anyway back to the point, In my opinion if we are to maintain a top 4 finish each season we need a new left back, all we need to do is look at Evra and Cole to see what we are up against. Ekotto has been lucky, i think he is a average player playing in a good exciting team, the team makes him look better than he is, he never seems to do well in the big games, now just slightly off the point but due to the Tottenham fans commenting on this post i'll say i am bit disapointed with the purchase of the South African Center Back Bongani Khumalo, Tottenham have a sub standard defence. I don't see how a South African can improve that, I also feel we need to get Woodgate and King of the wage budget, as harsh as that sounds and i know King breathes Tottenham but the money saved on them to could be a real class defenders wages. I know Dawson has done really well but what is the future of Tottenhams defense i really think we are still 3 defenders short, this might sound crazy but I know we have depth in players in defence but we have a lack of quality. Good job Harry got Gallas. He got slated for that, not from me may i add. And my final point before someone says how can i say Tottenham have never had a good full back when they have Bale probably one of the best full back prospects about. Can anybody really see him getting moved back to Full Back ? So guys this i what i think about Benoît ASSOU-EKOTTO, i'd be suprised if he rose to 90 anytime soon, I predicted his 89 but although he gets alot a playing time at Tottenham, it is more due to injuries and lack of depth in that position, I really feel he is a weak link Tottenham have.

now just slightly off the point but due to the Tottenham fans commenting on this post i'll say i am bit disapointed with the purchase of the South African Center Back Bongani Khumalo' date=' Tottenham have a sub standard defence. I don't see how a South African can improve that, [/quote']

Did Lucas Radebe not improve the Leeds United defence for nearly a decade? and is Siyanda Xulu not seen by some as being a future premiership player? I'll admit South African football is the strongest in the world but to single Khumalo out before he has kicked a ball for Tottenham seems a little harsh.

As for Assou Ekotto, he has shown what he can do in games, he just needs to maintain his form for a sustained period rather than the little flashes he currently has. If he can do this he will without doubt be a 90 rated defender at some point, but I agree at the moment he will remain an 89, which is attributed to the fact he gets regualr playing time as he's the only defender that doesn't get injured.

Maybe if he stopped taking hairdressing tips from Jason Lee more people might like him?

Great post, and I agree with most of what you say actually. Definitely the full back positions have been an issue for some time for Spurs

Would like to see Harry try Bale at LB and put VDV on the left now and again as you say although I can't see Bale dropping back there so long as he remains so good on the left wing. I seem to recall he prefers the wing and that VDV is also less happy to play on the wing then he is behind another forward.

I would like to see a new left back signed but the problem is (as Harry keeps saying about all positions) finding one who we could realistically sign who would go into the first team straight away. It would be great to sign a well known class LB but we would have to pay a huge price and I am not sure we would.

Anyway, all that said, I still think Benoit will make 90. Love him or loathe him his appearance stats are still that SM will almost certainly give him an increase. The thing is he is playing at a better level than he was when he got his 89 (i.e. the Champions League) and Spurs are maintaining a good league position too so its hard for SM not to give him 90 even if he is a weak link.

If anyone actually thinks BAE deserves a 90 then I think they are a little bit deluded :confused:

If that is the case, then Dawson deserves 91! (Why he didn't get at least an 89 rating in the last update beggars belief. He has been immense for Spurs and voted player of the year 2009/10, captain and led them to 4th and CC and is no surprise that when he came back from a long injury, straight away Spurs kept two successive clean sheets) :mad:

I don't think it is at all deluded to think Benoit will get 90... I do not know how long you have played SM, but my experience is that he almost certainly will based upon his stats alone seeing as he is playing for a top side every week in the EPL, and in all the Champions League games.

When Dawson came back from injury we drew 1-1 with Chelsea and then beat Villa 2-1... the clean sheets were after that. I agree Dawson is immense and better than Benoit but (again based on the way SM rate players) I expect that in the short term Benoit will reach 90 first. Dawson hasn't played enough games this season, yet, for 90 to be a realistic rise but if he keeps going well then I would expect him too.

i understand why but people, putting bale at LB is a bit strange.

he is performing so well why change it ?

anyway at LB he is a bit suspect and just bombs down the flank anyway.

better to have him LM. if you put him at LB you have to move VDV there most likely too.....

why on earth change around your 2 best players?

modric, VDV, bale and lennon midfield. yummy :D:D:D

anyway, i agree with people saying BAE is inconsistent and i can definately see why he may get 90.

i just think spurs are great in attack but can only outscore you, they have awful days defending sometimes. eg they could have won against milan if they didnt concede an impressive 4 goals in half an hour or something !

spurs need defensive signings. gallas i always rated, gomes will do. hutton i havnt seen much of. but a top level RB,LB and CB would turn spurs into a awesome team.

I don't think it is at all deluded to think Benoit will get 90... I do not know how long you have played SM' date=' but my experience is that he almost certainly will based upon his stats alone seeing as he is playing for a top side every week in the EPL and in the Champions League.

When Dawson came back from injury we drew 1-1 with Chelsea and then beat Villa 2-1... the clean sheets were after that. I agree Dawson is immense and better than Benoit but (again based on the way SM rate players) I expect that in the short term Benoit will reach 90 first. Dawson hasn't played enough games this season, yet, for 90 to be a realistic rise but if he keeps going well then I would expect him too.[/quote']

Fair enough. Deluded may have been the wrong word. It's just that BAE blows hot and cold. One minute he is very good and then next he is simply awful.

At least Dawson is much more consistent (and I don't think I said 'clean sheets' immediately after his injury - bearing in mind our last one was 1st match of the season v Man City prior to those two ;)). But, that injury to Dawson was after the rating changes for the EPL. I really think he should have received his 89 before then. He is certainly better than an 88.

Anyhow, I just don't rate BAE that much sometimes. However, SM appears to be a little different to RL and on that basis I understand.

i understand why but people' date=' putting bale at LB is a bit strange.

better to have him LM. if you put him at LB you have to move VDV there most likely too.....

anyway, i agree with people saying BAE is inconsistent and i can definately see why he may get 90.

i just think spurs are great in attack but can only outscore you, they have awful days defending sometimes. eg they could have won against milan if they didnt concede an impressive 4 goals in half an hour or something !

spurs need defensive signings. gallas i always rated, gomes will do. hutton i havnt seen much of. but a top level RB,LB and CB would turn spurs into a awesome team.[/quote']

Is everything apart from Claude 'yummy' in your world?

i understand why but people' date=' putting bale at LB is a bit strange.

spurs need defensive signings. gallas i always rated, gomes will do. hutton i havnt seen much of. but a top level RB,LB and CB would turn spurs into a awesome team.[/quote']

Dont forget Vdv was probably only playing as a suport striker because Defoe was out. Thats why i wouldn't be afraid to try that combination , Crouch and Defoe upfront.

I don't think it is at all deluded to think Benoit will get 90... I do not know how long you have played SM' date=' but my experience is that he almost certainly will based upon his stats alone seeing as he is playing for a top side every week in the EPL, and in all the Champions League games.

When Dawson came back from injury we drew 1-1 with Chelsea and then beat Villa 2-1... the clean sheets were after that. I agree Dawson is immense and better than Benoit but (again based on the way SM rate players) I expect that in the short term Benoit will reach 90 first. Dawson hasn't played enough games this season, yet, for 90 to be a realistic rise but if he keeps going well then I would expect him too.[/quote']

I'd love to be able to bet you a fiver Dawson reaches 90 first.

Sorry about my origanal post i hope to have redeemed myself.:D

Match of the Day have pointed out time and time again Assou Ekotto's defensive frailties.

He is always way too far up the pitch, Bale doesn't need him as support! :D

This may be me being baised, but Assou Ekotto should watch how Baines links up with Pienaar on the left flank for Everton. Time and time again they are able to pass the ball between them right up to the opposition area and if tey lose the ball Baines is more than happy to peg it back to stop the attack.

Assou Ekotto should support Bale, but sometimes he wanders up to the half way line and then looks like a lost kid in a supermarket who only realises whats happened when the fans start on him. I think he's got the ability to become a decent running full back and it would stop Bale having to do all the running, not that he doesn't do it well, and I think the left flank could become quite potent for Tottenham.

I'd love to be able to bet you a fiver Dawson reaches 90 first.

Sorry about my origanal post i hope to have redeemed myself.:D

You have. :)

I think there is a chance Dawson could go from 88 > 90 if his form continues, but more likely that he will go to 89 first as that is what SM usually do. 88 > 90 is a big jump and not many players do it.

Benoit going up from 89 > 90 next time though is more probable. Not more deserved, just more probable.

Of course, SM don't look at players and say "player X is playing better than player Y, so X should have the higher rating", they just reward individual good and bad form/circumstances. Therefore, they won't care that Benoit is the weaker player.

Benoit does get stranded some times, I agree. However I think a lot of the decent things he does, which are not flashy, go overlooked. Be interesting to see how he does against Man Utd, he has been good in the past.

You have. :)

I think there is a chance Dawson could go from 88 > 90 if his form continues' date=' but more likely that he will go to 89 first as that is what SM usually do. 88 > 90 is a big jump and not many players do it.

Benoit going up from 89 > 90 next time though is more probable. Not more deserved, just more probable.

Of course, SM don't look at players and say "player X is playing better than player Y, so X should have the higher rating", they just reward individual good and bad form/circumstances. Therefore, they won't care that Benoit is the weaker player.

Benoit does get stranded some times, I agree. However I think a lot of the decent things he does, which are not flashy, go overlooked. Be interesting to see how he does against Man Utd, he has been good in the past.[/quote']

Yeah agree.Everyone thought for bonucci too that he will go for 88 to 90 and he went to 89.I think it will be the same with Dawson.

oh i am not saying Dawson will get a plus 2, i'm saying he will rise to 89 and Ekotto stay at 89, then out of the two, if Dawson stayed fit he has more chance of gettng to 90. I was suprised Huddlestone stayed at 89 or was that just me? Or is it down to lack of international games?

Perhaps, I think it more likely that Huddlestone's rating was frozen as a result of picking up his current injury a few weeks before the EPL had its last review. SM tend to ere on the side of caution in that sort of situation....I still think on balance he should have increased too.

Anyway, on Benoit again, I suppose it boils down to whether SM like him as much as you or I. If they really don't rate him then I suppose they could be harsh and keep him on 89, but it would contradict the sort of increases they have given in the past to worse players in similar situations.

He's got a good chance purely because of where Tottenham are at the moment. I'm not saying he's any better than some of the 89 rated left backs (Baines, Monreal etc) but SM do look at how well the club is performing and at the moment Tottenham are playing better than they where last year, so a +1 isn't that far fetched.

Respuesta: Benoît ASSOU-EKOTTO will he rise ?

just we need its compared with other LB's from EPL like agger,baines,warnock,etc and based how he did it in past hard games vs chelsea,everton,fullham he deserve 89 not 90 and we'll see vs united&milan.

in my opinion hutton deserves 89 same as ekotto, excited to see tottenham vs milan.

PD: la liga is so lame.

This may be me being baised' date=' but Assou Ekotto should watch how Baines links up with Pienaar on the left flank for Everton. Time and time again they are able to pass the ball between them right up to the opposition area and if tey lose the ball Baines is more than happy to peg it back to stop the attack.

[/quote']

I'd say one of BAE's strongest points is his link up play with Bale. Time and time again he puts Bale free with passes down the line (usually bypassing oppoenents midfield) for Bale to run on to. Sure, it could be better, but it's not a weakness - his weakness is the inability to go three games without having a match where he forgets how to defend.

I can see BAE getting 90 at some point, but not now and not before Dawson does. Hutton and BAE are about the same level, but with different attributes.

As for Bale playing LB... he's probably one of the worst LB's I've seen positionally. However, the last LB I saw who was that poor positionally was Ashley Cole in his first full season so I guess it's possible to improve!

As for Bale playing LB... he's probably one of the worst LB's I've seen positionally. However' date=' the last LB I saw who was that poor positionally was Ashley Cole in his first full season so I guess it's possible to improve![/quote']

firstly, bale is doing so well at LM i think it would be silly to change him, the way he gets forward a counter attacking team could ruin you.

also i agree, i remember how bad evra was, absolute donkey then last season he goes and plays awesome !

Personally I don't rate him, when Everton played spurs all he would do is hoof the ball up the field hoping someone would get on the end of it.He was also out of position a lot which Everton and mainly Seamus Coleman capitalised on a number of times during the game. Also every time I watch him he doesn't convince me that he is 90 quality yet.

• 1 month later...

Anyone fancy explaining why Benoit Assou Ekotto isn't 90?

He's played 2205 minutes for tottenham hotspur, plus champions league matches. This is more than other players on 90 playing for poorer teams. Prime example being Daniel Agger at Liverpool...

Soccermanager is pretty stupid. Backwards rating system. RABBLE RABBLE

one big derp.

Re: Anyone fancy explaining why Benoit Assou Ekotto isn't 90?

dude......NO......assou ekotto is not a 90 in a million years, yes he's played there for tottenham near enough all season but the guy is not good, he's only playing there because of how well gareth bale has done going forward otherwise he'd be LB, but assou ekotto is an awful defender, wingers have a field day with him...!!!

Re: Anyone fancy explaining why Benoit Assou Ekotto isn't 90?

He's played 2205 minutes for tottenham hotspur' date=' plus champions league matches. This is more than other players on 90 playing for poorer teams. Prime example being Daniel Agger at Liverpool...

Soccermanager is pretty stupid. Backwards rating system. RABBLE RABBLE

one big derp.[/quote']

completely agree and i am a liverpool fan.