Sign in to follow this  
irishbuck

Gael Clichy - MASSIVELY overrated

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRczz-rre6G-5r3o6OEq1Rd7ALyBmBoQ8ZfN5AWVq-lUn0WPRro

I believe that gael clichy is one of the most overrated players on the DB. He has to drop surely. 90,89 maybe. The only reason he is rated so highly is because he is playing for arsenal.

He is a defender who is incapable of defending. He made a terrible mistake against Shakhtar Donetsk, when they lost, for eduardos goal. He again made a mess of park's goal for man u in the 1-0 victory as he failed to get close.

These were crucial errors and cost Arsenal dearly. Personally I think Arsenal should sell him and try out Gibbs to see if he is up to it.

Mistake for Eduardo's goal. 0:44

A8-HNpdWeuk

Mistake for Park's goal

vYMIZ0E1WT0

Re: Gael Clichy - MASSIVELY overrated

Oh yes, the single example argument.

And Zidane was a terrible player because he decided to headbutt Materazzi in the World Cup final. :rolleyes:

--

You know, you'd actually have a valid point without presenting such an awful argument.

I believe that gael clichy is one of the most overrated players on the DB. He has to drop surely. 90' date='89 maybe. The only reason he is rated so highly is because he is playing for arsenal.

[b']He is a defender who is incapable of defending.[/b] He made a terrible mistake against Shakhtar Donetsk, when they lost, for eduardos goal. He again made a mess of park's goal for man u in the 1-0 victory as he failed to get close.

These were crucial errors and cost Arsenal dearly. Personally I think Arsenal should sell him and try out Gibbs to see if he is up to it.

A8-HNpdWeuk

Mistake for Park's goal

vYMIZ0E1WT0

Clichy couldnt do anything about the second goal. 3 attackers were in front of him.

And the 1st goal, well everyone makes mistakes. cough cough. How about Maicon drops to 89 also.

SOund good. He is actually a half decent player. Just get injured a fair bit.

Ok so he made a mistake (not that he actually did anything wrong for Park's goal, making Park head it backwards from the edge of the box is enough for the defender) but how does that mean he's an 89/90 when your not giving players on similar ratings.

Had you said Nasri's a 92, Clichy's far from being at his level. Gibbs is an 86, and Clichy doesn't deserve to be 6 points ahead of him then fair enough, he probably does deserve a -1. But your being a bit extorianate, and your not really giving a good argument.

Clichy is overrated' date=' how he is 92 and Assou-Ekotto hasn't even hit 90 yet is a joke.[/quote']

Yes, I agree that Ekotto deserves a 90 at least. Obviously if a player is part of the big 3 (Arsenal, Chelsea & Utd), then they will get a little advantage in terms of ratings but I think Clichy deserves a 92, although Sagna is a way better fullback and he has the same rating.

I believe that gael clichy is one of the most overrated players on the DB. He has to drop surely. 90' date='89 maybe. The only reason he is rated so highly is because he is playing for arsenal.

[b']He is a defender who is incapable of defending.[/b] He made a terrible mistake against Shakhtar Donetsk, when they lost, for eduardos goal. He again made a mess of park's goal for man u in the 1-0 victory as he failed to get close.

A8-HNpdWeuk

Mistake for Park's goal

vYMIZ0E1WT0

agreed hes overated but he wont drop unless he leaves arsenal gibbs would be great if he stops getting injured

i think he's defiantly not a 92 player 91 would be more accurate for him... he's good going forward but his decision making in defense and tackling is awful.

I Agree with this ... :D

Ok i don't know if clichy should go down of not but he is one of the only young good LB you got evra and cole who are the best but both are 29 so you could go for lahm or chiellini but these will cost you an arm and a leg clichy is young good but not really good so you have to pay your whole team if he goes to a 90 then you have to go to abidal or capdevila i will except marcelo who is both of young an good but he is still 91

Some of these comments are OTT. He is no way a 90 rated player, by saying this I mean he shouldnt be dropped to 90. 91 would be okay, maybe 92 is generous but still if he improves his decision making etc then a 92 would be justified. Remember Arsenal are still 3rd in the table and could go second tonight, its not as if he has cost us an awful lot. He is a good defender at times.

i agree, it makes no sense why sagna and clichy are the same rating. sagna is one of the best rb's in the world even if he is offensively challenged. clichy is better going forward but either rise sagna to 93 or drop clichy to 91. both are not on the same level

Some of the comments here are definately from people who don't understand football.

Clichy is made to look worse than he actually is because the midfield provides him with no defensive cover. When has Arshavin ever tracked back? This usually leaves Clichy to deal with 2 players instead of one. People cannot understand the thought process of a defender: whether to close someone down or track a possible runner. I will use the Villa game as an example with the Kieran Clark goal from the edge of the box. The majority of people after that goal went in pointed the finger straight at Gael. Why exactly? Ashley Young made a dangerous run inside the area. What if Clichy had closed down

Clark and instead of shooting he played a through ball to Ashley Young to score? Why should the left back be closing shots down in a central position on the edge of the area? Surely this is the job of a centre back or one of the holding midfielders? People may disagree but i feel Clichy made the right fundamental choice to mark Young but was really in a no win situation.

Sagna on the other hand has either Walcott Sagna or Rosicky in front of him all of which will double back and help him, especially Rosicky. Sagna is a better defender however but is a disadvantage going forward as he slows the play down more than any other player on the pitch i find when he does roam forward. Clichy used to be very effective going forward but is definately effected by confidence lately.

I am by no means saying Clichy deserves his rating. Maybe a 91 would be fair. But a lot of the criticism he gets is completely unjust mainly because of a defensively inept Arshavin.

On his day he is a top defender as emplified by the fact he made the PFA team of the year in 07/08 i think it was. He has the ability of a 92 defender without question and was even being compared to Evra and Cole at a stage.

I think Clichy at 92 is fine if you think about it Cole and Evra are both 94 2 ratings ahead of him. If he was 93 rated then he will be overrtaed but 92 is not exactly a world class rating.

i agree' date=' it makes no sense why sagna and clichy are the same rating. sagna is one of the best rb's in the world even if he is offensively challenged. [b']clichy is better going forward [/b]but either rise sagna to 93 or drop clichy to 91. both are not on the same level

Not really.

Some of the comments here are definately from people who don't understand football.

Clichy is made to look worse than he actually is because the midfield provides him with no defensive cover. When has Arshavin ever tracked back? This usually leaves Clichy to deal with 2 players instead of one. People cannot understand the thought process of a defender: whether to close someone down or track a possible runner. I will use the Villa game as an example with the Kieran Clark goal from the edge of the box. The majority of people after that goal went in pointed the finger straight at Gael. Why exactly? Ashley Young made a dangerous run inside the area. What if Clichy had closed down

Clark and instead of shooting he played a through ball to Ashley Young to score? Why should the left back be closing shots down in a central position on the edge of the area? Surely this is the job of a centre back or one of the holding midfielders? People may disagree but i feel Clichy made the right fundamental choice to mark Young but was really in a no win situation.

Sagna on the other hand has either Walcott Sagna or Rosicky in front of him all of which will double back and help him' date=' especially Rosicky. Sagna is a better defender however but is a disadvantage going forward as he slows the play down more than any other player on the pitch i find when he does roam forward. Clichy used to be very effective going forward but is definately effected by confidence lately.

I am by no means saying Clichy deserves his rating. Maybe a 91 would be fair. But a lot of the criticism he gets is completely unjust mainly because of a defensively inept Arshavin.

On his day he is a top defender as emplified by the fact he made the PFA team of the year in 07/08 i think it was. He has the ability of a 92 defender without question and was even being compared to Evra and Cole at a stage.[/quote']

clichy is disgracefully bad blud

wow' date=' so enlightened, such wise words of wisdom, how could anyone argue with that excellently constructed post :rolleyes:[/quote']

slating someone for just saying clichy is bad without giving a reason is like slating someone for saying Messi is good without giving a reason...

slating someone for just saying clichy is bad without giving a reason is like slating someone for saying Messi is good without giving a reason...

Are you serious? All hail 'Ze Special 1' has spoken, since what he say's is law, Clichy must be bad, honestly mate pull your head out and smell the fresh air, if you want people to take your thread seriously how about constructing a post which actually has some substance to it, not just "Clichy sucks, drop to 90" cause that's really going to help your argument, how about some stats or facts that prove that he isn't playing at the same level he was when he got his 92, 'Onus Probundi'

Are you serious? All hail 'Ze Special 1' has spoken' date=' since what he say's is law, Clichy must be bad, honestly mate pull your head out and smell the fresh air, if you want people to take your thread seriously how about constructing a post which actually has some substance to it, not just "Clichy sucks, drop to 90" cause that's really going to help your argument, how about some stats or facts that prove that he isn't playing at the same level he was when he got his 92, 'Onus Probundi'[/quote']

if you read my previous comment i said he is awful at tackling and has poor decision making in defense... he makes a lot of mistakes and you know it!

How about you give me a reason he should stay at 92? apart from playing with Arsenal?