*Another Brazilian Whizzkid*-Paulo Morais de Araújo Júnior - PAULO Jr.

Paulo Morais de Araújo Júnior

Paulo_Jr.jpg

21 year old Paulo Júnior is another talented prospect fresh off the relentless Brazilian production line.

Born in the city of Teresina, as a youth Paulo Junior was on the books of the biggest local club Flamengo. He didn't sign his first professional contract until 2008 with Ituano FC of of the Campeonato Brasileiro Série C. One year later in a brave move he signed for Miami FC opting to learn his trade in the lower leagues of North American soccer. Some have questions about the quality of the league at the highest level in Major League Soccer and those critics would be quick to assume there is a dearth of quality outside the top flight in the USA. But remember Paulo Júnior is a Brazilian and can only play against who is put in front of him.

It took one season for a young Junior to find his feet in the USA making 18 Appearances, scoring 3 goals and carving out 3 goal assists. Paulo Junior made his mark in the 2010 campaign scoring an impressive 8 goals in 22 appearances (19 starts) with 4 goal assists. He was also recognised for his achievement by being named in midfield for the USSF D2 team of the year.

As always the big predators perpetually hunt through the lower leagues for emerging talent and before the US season ended Paulo Junior was snapped up by MLS side Real Salt Lake on a loan deal with a view to a permanent transfer.

There isn't much information available about exactly what positions Junior can play in. Apart from the fact that he is described as an attacker by his current club and qualified for the League's team of the year in midfield for his previous club. With a petit pysique of 5 ft 7 inches and 158 lbs I cant see him making any crunching tackles or doing any defensive midfield duties.

Take into account his goal scoring record and I think its safe to say he is a central attacking midfielder/winger.

Since joining Salt Lake in September Paulo Junior has played in all 3 competitions for them making 6 appearances. Including coming off the bench twice in the CONCACAF Champions League and scoring a total of 3 goals from 65 minuets of Champions League football.

At the moment He is being used as an impact player but with the form he is in I wouldnt be suprised if he works his way into the starting lineup soon. To my surprise he wasn't on the SM database :eek:

Salt Lake's Top scorer Alvaro Saborio notched 12 goals in 29 games and is rated at 83, he should improve in the forthcoming MLS rating review as last season he only scored twice for Bristol City. Make of that what you will in regard to Paulo Junior. The young samba starlet turned pro quite late and probably won't play for the national team (most Brazilians dont!) but personally I think Junior is talented so I submitted him to the SM database myself. ;)

This is my first scouting report so please watch some videos and tell me what you think...

Thanks,

Kal

(goal, 1:46)

• 2 weeks later...

Re: ***Another Brazilian Whizzkid***

FYI, Miami FC is a TRAFFIC-owned team. You've probably heard of the whole 3rd party ownership debate in Brasil, where good players are owned by groups of investors and then loaned out from the teams that are owned by said investors as intermediaries. Traffic are the biggest of these investors, having played a part in the careers of players like Renato Augusto, Breno, Keirrison, Elias, etc etc.

What does this mean?

It means Paulo Junior is still owned by investors, not by RSL, and will be sold as soon as a good profit can be made.

Also: he's a striker. And you are wrong, he's known for defensive play. And, somehow, for his heading.

I'm not convinced about him. He tried his luck in the Paulistao in 2009 and didn't get a single goal, in fact he had trouble earning playing time.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats a bit harsh innit lads?

He was my first scout havn't seen 90 minutes of him just highlights

I mean I did say his team's top scorer only scored 2 goals in a English lower league season. If Paulo Junior cant start for them that says something but he's still young he might improve. Grafiti didnt play in europe till he was almost 30!

Insider how can a striker be known for defensive play?

What does he hustle and track back?

Or go full blooded into 50-50 tackles like I was saying he wouldn't be :confused:

Thats a bit harsh innit lads?

He was my first scout havn't seen 90 minutes of him just highlights

I mean I did say his team's top scorer only scored 2 goals in a English lower league season. If Paulo Junior cant start for them that says something but he's still young he might improve. Grafiti didnt play in europe till he was almost 30!

Insider how can a striker be known for defensive play?

What does he hustle and track back?

Or go full blooded into 50-50 tackles like I was saying he wouldn't be :confused:

It's not called being harsh, it's called being objective and realistic. I've only stated facts. Again, never seen him play in my life. The report that I gave, however, comes directly from the agency to which he is contracted. Ask them. But that's what they say he's best at.

• 2 years later...

Having enjoyed a successful initial loan spell, RSL extended the loan on December 27, 2010 through the 2011 MLS season.

The extension also provided RSL the option to purchase Araujo and sign him through the 2014 season. The club exercised its purchase option in February 2012 and promptly signed Araujo through 2014.

Paulo Jr. was released by Salt Lake on December 3, 2012. He elected to participate in the 2012 MLS Re-Entry Draft and was selected by Vancouver Whitecaps FC in stage two of the draft on December 14, 2012.

He signed with Vancouver Whitecaps on January 23, 2013.

• 5 months later...