Raphael Varane - Destined for CB Stardom

This is my first scouting report, so hopefully it is ok.

Raphael Varane is a central defender who plays for Lens in Ligue 1. Just 17 years of age, he has a long illustrious career ahead. Whilst he may have only had 5 caps for Lens this 2010-11 season so far (4 in Ligue 1 and 1 in the Coup de France), he has played twice for France U18s, scoring once.

Starting life off at AS Hellemmes, he joined Lens in 2002 and played for the U19 team in the 2009-10 season when he was only 16. He made his Ligue 1 debut on November 7 2010 against Montpellier.

He made is France U18 debut on August 24 2010, scoring in a 2-0 win against Denmark. He would have won many more caps with this team, but he has been trying to concentrate on playing for Lens and hence turned down these invitations.

The youth team coach at Lens, Eric Assadourian, has described Varane as a

‘truly first class player’, ‘comfortable on both the tactical and technical level’.

Subsequent interest from clubs including Manchester United as well as Chelsea have been reported in the media, with a possible move this January transfer window. However, it is believed that the Lens president will not sell him for less than €4 million.

Whilst Varane may appear to already be able to cope with the physical aspect of football at only 17, it is believed that, if he does leave Lens, it will be in summer rather than January.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3ibaJbIPZTU2lRLvODluL59sZqrjuqzGvMfSkllIG2juI8aMfUQ

He is currently rated 75 and plays in the position CB.

I have snapped him up in both my game worlds, so I recommend the same to you too!

I’m afraid I can’t find any videos of Raphael Varane at the moment, but if you find any, please let me know!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is my first scouting report, so hopefully it is ok. Raphael Varane is a central defender who plays for Lens in Ligue 1. Just 17 years of age, he has a long illustrious career ahead. Whilst he ma

Re: Raphael Varane - Destined for CB Stardom Nice post, good info. I believe he has actually appeared in 5 league games this season (once as a sub) and also once in the Coupe de France. He has sta

Re: Raphael Varane - Destined for CB Stardom Thanks for your post and I very much agree with you. It's only a matter of time until he moves to a 'bigger' club, not to offend any Lens fans.

Re: Raphael Varane - Destined for CB Stardom

Yes, Varane's a great talent and has under Bolöni helped stabilize our defence with Quedrue. He is good physically-speaking, but his break-through - I mean, his vision for predicting the next move by the opposite attacker - is on a very high level, in my opinion. He just recently, after beeing a Lens first-teamer for about two months or so, got selected to participate in a friendly match with Les Espoirs (the French U-21 national team). After only beeing a regular forone of the worst outfits in the league for 4-5 games, in one of the worst defences of the league, Varane has already been awarded to play for Les Espoirs.

Mark my words - he is the next big thing.

Yes' date=' Varane's a great talent and has under Bolöni helped stabilize our defence with Quedrue. He is good physically-speaking, but his break-through - I mean, his vision for predicting the next move by the opposite attacker - is on a [b']very[/b] high level, in my opinion. He just recently, after beeing a Lens first-teamer for about two months or so, got selected to participate in a friendly match with Les Espoirs (the French U-21 national team). After only beeing a regular forone of the worst outfits in the league for 4-5 games, in one of the worst defences of the league, Varane has already been awarded to play for Les Espoirs.

Mark my words - he is the next big thing.

Thanks for your post and I very much agree with you. It's only a matter of time until he moves to a 'bigger' club, not to offend any Lens fans.

Raphael Varane' date=' Mamadou Sakho and Yann M'Vila. 3 great French players for the future.[/quote']

Most certainly.

Varane started again for Lens against PSG last weekend. He really seems to be putting a string of starts together

Yup, we the preocary position we are in - fighting relegation and all that - we really need to slush up our talented academy youngsters for two reasons; We are not in the best financial shape and thus, we cannot buy new players that we so badly need. That's why we are giving our some of our academy players a shot, as they cannot be any worser than the original players of the first-team squad. We also need to secure ourselves economical if we'd get relegated. Last time we got relegated - in '08 - we had a much better squad than this, a squad that was tipped to reach the Champions League places, but whom instead got relegated. That meant that we almost went into bankruptcy, which has been putting us in this financial disaster. However, if we are promoting talented youngsters such as Varane, Aurier, Kondogbia and Thorgan Hazard - who've all be followed by bigger clubs - we can sell them to a bigger if we'd get relegated and thus save ourself from an assured bankruptcy.

All that aside, Varane had a great game against Paris. The defence seemed to have no problems with Nene, Hoarau and co. and they seemed to have problems with creating something, which isn't so usual in this season version of Paris SG. Varane, next to Kovacevic, was the best performers that weekend and both of them broke down the creativity of Chantôme and Nene nicely, in my opinion.

Yup' date=' we the preocary position we are in - fighting relegation and all that - we really need to slush up our talented academy youngsters for two reasons; We are not in the best financial shape and thus, we cannot buy new players that we so badly need. That's why we are giving our some of our academy players a shot, as they cannot be any worser than the original players of the first-team squad. We also need to secure ourselves economical if we'd get relegated. Last time we got relegated - in '08 - we had a much better squad than this, a squad that was tipped to reach the Champions League places, but whom instead got relegated. That meant that we almost went into bankruptcy, which has been putting us in this financial disaster. However, if we are promoting talented youngsters such as Varane, Aurier, Kondogbia and Thorgan Hazard - who've all be followed by bigger clubs - we can sell them to a bigger if we'd get relegated and thus save ourself from an assured bankruptcy.

All that aside, Varane had a great game against Paris. The defence seemed to have no problems with Nene, Hoarau and co. and they seemed to have problems with creating something, which isn't so usual in this season version of Paris SG. Varane, next to Kovacevic, was the best performers that weekend and both of them broke down the creativity of Chantôme and Nene nicely, in my opinion.[/quote']

Thanks for these regular updates. They are greatly appreciated, especially living in England it's hard to follow Ligue 1! Do you think it's likely a top team will come in and try to buy Varane this summer?

• 2 weeks later...

He is a great young player!

In my opinion' date=' he should get a +10/+12 the next update ...[/quote']

Nope not going to happen. Id say an 82/83 is the most he could get. He plays for a bottom side club so it doesnt matter how talented he was.

Thanks for the responses. What about by the end of the season, somewhere around an 86?

Thanks for the responses. What about by the end of the season' date=' somewhere around an 86?[/quote']

More likely to be 84/85 I'd say, given how poorly RC Lens are doing in Ligue 1. If he then went on to join a better team after the season then I'd say 86/87 midway through that season (assuming he continues to play regularly) and then see what happens from them.

Hi guys, sorry I haven't been on for a while.

I would agree that whilst a 10/12 would be nice, I think an 82/83 is much more likely, with it probably being the former rating. Still a decent rise though.

Glad you like the thread :)

Varane started again in Lens' 2-0 defeat to Rennes last weekend, he is most certainly a regular now and it's good to see him getting games under his belt.